Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

The real life Allison Dubois?

yerfdog777

[1]Mar 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Yahoo! T.V. listings) that the main character on Medium (played by Patricia Arquette) is supposedly based on a real life character. Does anyone have any information on this real life counterpart? Perhaps a name? Does the real life person actually work in Arizona?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JotovaRecess

[2]Mar 28, 2006
    • level: 5
    Her name really is Allison Dubois and she does live in Arizona. She has written a book. I think it's called "Never Tell Them Goodbye."

svutime

[3]Mar 31, 2006
    • level: 2
    Yeah thats what its caled its an awesome book. Its really descriptive and even helped out Partica Arquette out with her character

yerfdog777

[4]Mar 31, 2006
    • level: 1
    Hey,
    Thank you very much! Now that you’ve given me the real life name, I was able to find the book, except I believe the actual title was, "Don't Kiss Them Good-bye" by Allison DuBois. I'm thinking about ordering it from Barns & Noble or Amazon or somewhere. Is it worth the bother?

How many of you have read it?
    Do you recommend it to 'Die Hard' fans of the show like myself? or is it too much realism?
    Edited on 04/01/2006 12:00am

JotovaRecess

[5]Apr 16, 2006
    • level: 5
    It's more like her biography and her advice to parents whose children might have psychic gifts.

I have it, but have not quite finished reading it yet.

Goobagirl

[6]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    yerfdog777 wrote:
    I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Yahoo! T.V. listings) that the main character on Medium (played by Patricia Arquette) is supposedly based on a real life character. Does anyone have any information on this real life counterpart? Perhaps a name? Does the real life person actually work in Arizona?

Hi, The real life Alison starred on a talk show that we have here in Australia called Rove Live. It was really interesting to see the real person behind the character.

silent_medium

[7]May 4, 2006
    • level: 14
    the book is totally worth it. i have the book

justacsifreak

[8]May 23, 2006
    • level: 12

yerfdog777 wrote:

I found this page with some Allison Dubois facts and similarities to the TV show: here.

silent_medium

[9]May 27, 2006
    • level: 14
    justacsifreak wrote:

yerfdog777 wrote:

I found this page with some Allison Dubois facts and similarities to the TV show: here.

LuckyGreenEyes

[10]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    thank you for posting that link i watched an intervew not so long ago on si-fi with Allison Dubois, she seems like a down to earth woman

Dr_Jan_Itor

[11]Aug 4, 2006

There are however also people who refute her claims and paint a different picture of the real life Allison. Following are the accounts of two women whose sister's story was used by Allison in her first book:

Karen wrote:
    "I want to thank you for your rantings on Allison Dubois because I was just ranting to my sister and my mom about her five minutes ago. Ali, as my sister Domini called her when she was still alive, wrote about my sister in her first book. She didn't ask for permission and used it as a story that "proves" her validity. It pissed me off then and pisses me off now. My sister's death from cancer was bad enough, but Ali's bullsh*t makes it worse.

Anyway, my issue is totally personal, and I guess my point is that she uses the deaths of people who are cared about, and it does hurt the family who are left behind. I don't like the fact that she uses my sister's death in her book, and she says at the front of it, "Domini, I love you, and please visit me regularly." How the hell am I supposed to feel when she acts like she still talks to my sister after she is dead? I'll never see her again, and that is bad enough. So, anyway, I am glad you call her on her bullsh*t because I have known Ali almost as long as my sister did, and she was a b*tch when they were friends. Incidentally, Ali and her mom came to my sister's funeral. This is what her mom had to say about the fact that my mom, my other sister, and I were all there. My mom, my other sister, and Domini always had a rocky relationship, but when Domini was dying there was no question we would be there for her. Anyway, Ali's mom said at the funeral when I was standing by my sister's casket about to be lowered into the ground, "So it takes something like this to get your family together." I was mortified--what in the hell had Ali been telling her mother about my family? So, as far as Allison Dubois is concerned, she is a bullsh*tter 100%. I will never forgive her for using my sister as a prop in her pathetic lie. She was and is one of the biggest b**ches I know."

Allison her take on the subject in an interview with ABC Radio National in Australia:

wrote:
    Rachael Kohn: Allison, you write about a very close friend of yours, I think her name is Domini, who died of cancer at the age of 31, which was really pretty harrowing for you. You'd known her for half her life. Now I was surprised to read that when she was ill, you actually told her she was going to die.

Allison DuBois: I actually told her that when we were like, 19, when we were teenagers I said, 'I see you passing around the age of 30' and I said, 'You need to stop smoking because that's something that's going to contribute to your demise, and she was like 'Oh Allison', whatever. And she did die at 31 of cancer, and that was hard to watch but the prediction of that came at an earlier age, where I was actually trying to prevent it. But then when she was dying, we did sit together and talk with our friend Stacey, and she said, 'You told me', and I said, 'Domini, please, not the time and the place, don't worry about it.' But the thing that was nice was I was able to take her fear away, that when she died that that was going to be it. And when she was getting ready to pass, she was like, 'You're right, I can see my grandfather, and I know that they're there.' And so it was very important to me that she knew that before she died.

Transcript at: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/spirit/stories/s1444323.htm

Karen in responce wrote:
    "Let me just say that my sister died from melanoma that had nothing to do with her smoking. In addition, she was petrified of dying because she thought she was going to hell. She never lost that fear. A couple days before she went into a drug-induced coma, she told my mom she was still afraid to die and asked her what she should do (even though her death was about two weeks away). My mom said, "Don't stop breathing." My sister held on to that thought and kept fighting even though we could see her body already decomposing while she was still alive. At any rate, she never "saw" my grandfather--if anything she would have claimed to see my grandmother because they were closer, but she never did that either. Allison didn't see my sister at all for about 3 months before her death at least. Domini would not have "seen" anyone on the other side when Allison was still around because she was still extremely cognitive. In hospice care, the only people who came to see her were family members. My mom was the only one present when she actually died. So why Allison would talk about "when she was getting ready to pass" is a mystery to me since it had been several months since she had seen Domini. The next time I saw Allison was the funeral when her mother was so disrespectful to me and my family."

Then the account of Kris, the other sister of Domini:

Kris wrote:
    "My name is Kris. I am older sister of Domini who Allison writes about in her book. First let me say that I had no idea that Allison's book had even been published until my sister Karen brought it to my attention this week. I was struck by the fact that all that information could be published about her without my mother's, my sister Karen's or my knowledge. I was also curious as to how the chapter on my sister had ended up as Allison had let me read a rough draft of the chapter at Domini's son, Jake's, birthday party after Domini had passed away. I felt it was incredibly inappropriate to ask me to look over something like that at my nephew's birthday but I did nonetheless. In the rough draft, Allison had the day Domini went into hospice, the date and time Domini died and who was with her when she died wrong. There were other inaccuracies, however, I felt those were pretty glaring since she talked about her 'guides' giving her that information. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the last time Domini saw Allison was in November of 2000, just before her (Domini's) birthday. Allison never came to see Domini in hospice and Domini had refused any visitors the last 6 weeks she was still at home because she didn't want anyone to see how she looked. Domini died in April of 2001.
    I, too, did not like Allison inferring in her interview with Rachael Kohn that Domini's smoking had anything to do with her death. She died of malignant melanoma (skin cancer) as my sister Karen already stated, which was completely unrelated to her smoking. I also agree with Karen that Domini was petrified of dying right up until she slipped into a coma which was something our family wished could have been different for her. If Allison thinks she eased any of Domini's fears concerning death she is misguided to say the least.
    Primarily I am struck at how not only Allison seems to be benefiting financially from my sister's death but using her as a means to validate her so-called 'gifts'. If that's Allison's idea of how to treat the memory of a friend I would say she's no friend at all."

Source: http://www.twopercentco.com/rants/archives/2006/07/polar_opposites.html

Both sides of the story are anecdotal at best. But seeing only one party had something to gain by bringing her account of the situation to light and the skeptical nature of my postings here, it shouldn't be hard to guess which side I'd sooner believe.

stevierae5

[12]Aug 4, 2006
    • level: 7

Hmm, sounds like the real Allison Dubois might be more like the fake psychic that the fake Allison busted in that one episode! I do believe in psychic abilities but just as strongly believe that there are as many fakes, if not more, out there as there are genuine mediums. (Or is it media? Whatever...)

I saw Allison Dubois at Adrianne's bachelorette party on "My Fair Brady: We're Getting Married!"  Thought it was random and odd that they would be friends. That's the one and only time I've ever seen the real Allison and it was extremely brief. She didn't even talk. Her name was just across the bottom of the screen.

I feel bad for that family, though. That sucks.

lequericacalvo

[13]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 32
    Goobagirl wrote:
    yerfdog777 wrote:

Hi, The real life Alison starred on a talk show that we have here in Australia called Rove Live. It was really interesting to see the real person behind the character.

Cool.

TheOCfan

[14]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 28
    The book is very interesting. Kinda creeped me out though, I kept expecting to see ghosts ("spirits") at night lol!

Dr_Jan_Itor

[15]Sep 2, 2006

TheOCfan wrote:
    The book is very interesting. Kinda creeped me out though, I kept expecting to see ghosts ("spirits") at night lol!

If you keep in mind that it's fiction it should be a lot less creepy. Stephen King has way creepier books though, I could recommend his work to everybody.

Dr_Jan_Itor

[16]Sep 12, 2006

Now this should be fantastic news! On Tuesday 29th August, the Channel Ten show “9am with David & Kim” (in Australia) featured an interview with Allison, in which she commented "mediumship ability is in the genes."

This could prove the claims of psychics/mediums everywhere! Now if only she can provide the evidence of this claim. Or at least tell anyone in which scientific journal this historical ground breaking discovery was published. Or who made this discovery. Unless, of course, it's never been published and Dubois is just talking nonsense that she's making up again.

But I'm sure there's actually people around who believe this gobbledyg00k and treat it as fact...

PS I can't even write gobbledyg00k without having to take out the o's in here, nice censorship...

pgsuperfan

[17]Sep 12, 2006
    • level: 25
    I did not know the show is based on a book?

GetSheila

[18]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    Wow, Dr_Jan_Itor, I just found this forum for Medium (yay!) and read your post #11 with the comments from Domini's sisters. Did I say "wow"?

I just finished the book and was about to sit down and write a book review for my blog, but I just couldn't get started. The problem? I want so badly to believe in her...but I don't. Every time I read about something supernatural she did, I came up with a non-supernatural way she could have done it.

Which of course doesn't take a thing away from my enthusiasm for the TV show, which is pure, unadulterated, gleeful fiction!

Thanks for the great info. I am off to follow your links and read the full articles.

tarheelusa

[19]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 6

Allison DuBois actually has 2 books out. I have both on them on CD. She does the reading for the books also. Her husband even has a part on both books. The first book on cd "Don't Kiss Them Goodbye" has 5 cd's.

The 2nd one is called "We Are Their Heaven" and has 6 cd's. She does most of the reading on this CD. The people that she previously read come back and tell their stories and how Allison helped them. Then Allison comments on each person's reading. This was a very moving book.

I got both of my books on cd off of eBay, and yes they were originals and in their shrinkwrap, not copies.

Allison's voice is very soothing and calming and I do listen to them when I am feeling stressed or just anytime I want a lift for the day. I am glad that I got the books on cd and do enjoy listening to them.

Dr_Jan_Itor

[20]Sep 19, 2006

GetSheila wrote:
    Wow, Dr_Jan_Itor, I just found this forum for Medium (yay!) and read your post #11 with the comments from Domini's sisters. Did I say "wow"?

I just finished the book and was about to sit down and write a book review for my blog, but I just couldn't get started. The problem? I want so badly to believe in her...but I don't. Every time I read about something supernatural she did, I came up with a non-supernatural way she could have done it.

Which of course doesn't take a thing away from my enthusiasm for the TV show, which is pure, unadulterated, gleeful fiction!

Thanks for the great info. I am off to follow your links and read the full articles.

No problem, thanks for feedback that doesn't say "you don't know what you're talking about" or "it's true because I believe it's true and Allison said so".

I started out researching when I read that Medium was based on true stories. I have no problem with shows like this, only the "true stories" part hit me. I came across websites like from The Two Percent Company (who can come off as quite rude but are very straight to the point) and from James Randi (a man with a vast knowledge and many dealings with things regarding the supernatural and quackery).

If you look at these things with more skepticism you can find out just how gullible people in general can be and how other people have no problems cashing in on that gullibility. There's so much proof and evidence that people like Dubois, Sylvia Browne and John Edwards are frauds, and there's no substantiated proof outside of anecdotes that they truly have those self prescribed gifts. A lot of times people say that you just have to have an open mind about it. In my opinion, if more people actually had an open mind, they would see what's really going on.