Medium Forums

CBS (ended 2011)

The real life Allison Dubois?

  • Avatar of GetSheila

    GetSheila

    [21]Sep 24, 2006
    • member since: 09/18/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 15
    Hi all!

    I recently posted my review of Allison DuBois' book Don't Kiss Them Good-Bye on my blog Medium Dreams at http://www.mediumdreams.com/book-review-dont-kiss-them-good-bye/.

    (I would post it as a clickable link, but I am apparently link-challenged. I haven't figured out to html code one into my signature, either. Sad. And yes, I tried the appropriate a href html code. It gets stripped out when I save. Woe is me.)

    It is more of a summary by chapter than a true book review but I tried to keep the summaries neutral and just tell readers what each chapter is about. I don't want to spoil it in case you decide to read the book for yourself.

    Come on over to Medium Dreams if you have been thinking about reading the book but aren't quite sure what it's about and want to know more before you make a decision. And yes, I realize this is pure blog-promotion on my part, so feel free to taunt me. It's okay. I would love to hear your comments either on this forum or on my blog. Comments, tips, suggested links/reading - all are welcome.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tarheelusa

    tarheelusa

    [22]Oct 3, 2006
    • member since: 02/10/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 84
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    I did not know the show is based on a book?


    The show is not based on a book, but rather on the life of the real Allison.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tarheelusa

    tarheelusa

    [23]Oct 3, 2006
    • member since: 02/10/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 84
    Dr_Jan_Itor wrote:

    Now this should be fantastic news! On Tuesday 29th August, the Channel Ten show “9am with David & Kim” (in Australia) featured an interview with Allison, in which she commented "mediumship ability is in the genes."

    Actually all 3 of her daughters have the gift. Her mom and I believe her grandmother had it also.

    :
    This could prove the claims of psychics/mediums everywhere! Now if only she can provide the evidence of this claim. Or at least tell anyone in which scientific journal this historical ground breaking discovery was published. Or who made this discovery. Unless, of course, it's never been published and Dubois is just talking nonsense that she's making up again.

    She and several other mediums have in fact participated in scientific studies, not as to whether it is genetic, but as to whether mediums can really do what they say they do. She tells about these in her books and where they took place and how they were done. I do remember they were blind readings.[/QUOTE]

    I realize that not everyone belives this can happen or be done. My hubby does not believe it, but I sure do. I had something like this happen to me once when I was younger and know it can happen. I was not asleep and was fully awake, so that is how I know I did not dream what happened. It was not scary at all either. So yes I do believe they can do what they say they do.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GetSheila

    GetSheila

    [24]Oct 3, 2006
    • member since: 09/18/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 15
    tarheelusa wrote:
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    I did not know the show is based on a book?


    The show is not based on a book, but rather on the life of the real Allison.


    The show is INSPIRED BY Allison DuBois, who claims to be a medium and who consults on the TV show. She wrote a book that came out about just after the show premiered and another one more recently. Just go to Amazon.com and search for books by Allison DuBois if you are interested.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dr_Jan_Itor

    Dr_Jan_Itor

    [25]Oct 30, 2006
    • member since: 06/12/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 987

    A bit of a late reply, I haven't been around here in a while.

    tarheelusa wrote:
    Dr_Jan_Itor wrote:
     This could prove the claims of psychics/mediums everywhere! Now if only she can provide the evidence of this claim. Or at least tell anyone in which scientific journal this historical ground breaking discovery was published. Or who made this discovery. Unless, of course, it's never been published and Dubois is just talking nonsense that she's making up again.

    She and several other mediums have in fact participated in scientific studies, not as to whether it is genetic, but as to whether mediums can really do what they say they do. She tells about these in her books and where they took place and how they were done. I do remember they were blind readings.

    I realize that not everyone belives this can happen or be done. My hubby does not believe it, but I sure do. I had something like this happen to me once when I was younger and know it can happen. I was not asleep and was fully awake, so that is how I know I did not dream what happened. It was not scary at all either. So yes I do believe they can do what they say they do.

    To call them scientific studies is a bit much. If you're talking about the Schwartz experiments, they're bogus and not scientific at all. Although Dr. Gary Schwartz has an impressive résumé, he's also supportive of the Systemic Memory Theory. That theory pretty much makes you believe that everything is alive (even bricks, or fictional characters like Ronald McDonald, for example). If you think about something hard enough, it will come to exist. This already seriously works against his credibility, just like his endorsement for homeopathy (another crock) does.

    Bling reading is not close to enough to make it credible, how about double blind, replicable and disclosing all his findings? That would make it more scientific, but he refuses to do so. Let's have a look at what can be considered unscientific about his tests:

    -He has a person who claims to be a medium directing and executing tests on other mediums.
    -Inappropriate control comparisons.
    -Inadequate precautions against fraud and sensory leakage.
    -Reliance on non-standardized, untested dependent variables.
    -Failure to use double-blind procedures.
    -Inadequate "blinding" even in what he calls "single blind" experiments.
    -Failure to independently check on facts the sitters endorsed as true.
    -Use of plausibility arguments to substitute for actual controls.
    -The confusion of exploratory with confirmatory findings.
    -The calculation of conditional probabilities that are inappropriate and grossly misleading.
    -Creating non-falsifiable outcomes by reinterpreting failures as successes.
    -Inflating significance levels by failing to adjust for multiple testing and by treating unplanned comparisons as if they were planned.

    Schwartz went into his studies with preconceived notions, about the worst thing you can do when doing research.

    I used Medium: The Dubious Claims of Allison DuBois - Part II from the The Two Percent Company for this. it's part of their excellent Allison Dubois: Debunked! week. A very interesting read that can change your view on certain things.

    As for your own experience, the simplest explanation is one I'm sure you don't agree with:

    Subjective validation.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Acovell

    Acovell

    [26]Nov 2, 2006
    • member since: 10/28/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 26
    I have to ask you why you are even here. I'm sure you like taking candy from babies and kicking puppies, too.

    Most people have had some kind of psychic phenomena happen in their lives. The fact that science can't yet explain it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and it doesn't mean it's "supernatural". It just means that it's beyond our current capabilities to explain it -- as was just about everything we know now about science at one time.

    No psychic can be right all the time -- but then again, no human being can be right about anything all the time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dr_Jan_Itor

    Dr_Jan_Itor

    [27]Nov 3, 2006
    • member since: 06/12/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 987

    Acovell wrote:
    I have to ask you why you are even here. I'm sure you like taking candy from babies and kicking puppies, too.

    Most people have had some kind of psychic phenomena happen in their lives. The fact that science can't yet explain it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and it doesn't mean it's "supernatural". It just means that it's beyond our current capabilities to explain it -- as was just about everything we know now about science at one time.

    No psychic can be right all the time -- but then again, no human being can be right about anything all the time.

    I see your point, but by stating assumptions about me personally you make it look more like an ad hominem attack. That severely weakens your point.

    Now why would you ask why I'm here? The topic is "The real life Allison Dubois", I have an opinion on her doings and I express them while bringing supported links to the table. Can I only say nice things about her? If that's your point, it's moot and shows a big lack of critical thinking skills. But go on, educate me, I'm always up for a good debate.

    The thing you might be forgetting is that burden of proof always lies with the claimant. If you look at my last few posts, I did two clear things:

    1) I pointed out that the claim by Dubois that "mediumship ability is in the genes" should allow for clear scientific proof that her supposed gift does in fact exist. She doesn't ever follow up on her claims though. If I make any kind of claim like that, you'd expect me to back that up, wouldn't you? Why do believers not expect that from her? Because the truth (or at least the reasonable, credible and scientifically supported explanation) would shatter the preconceived notions of most people?

    2) I pointed out that the 'scientific' research by Dr. Schwartz is not scientific at all, as you could see by the list I provided. I'm not even saying that anyone should take my word for it, so I provided links. Search the internet and you can find more. If you ask me, and I'm in good enough of a mood and have the time, I have some more for you even. The post from tarheelusa I was responding to not even mentioned whose research it was (or how credible it was), I had to provide the specifics myself. Again people just assume that it's true because Dubois says it is, in her own book no less.

    That "most people" part, that sounds highly arbitrary, show me specific numbers or examples. For this claim, even some anecdotal evidence or flawed research would paint a picture, yet you give me nothing but your opinion. Psychic phenomena can be attributed to things like the Forer effect, Cold reading or Pareidolia, to name just three things. Throw in a little subjective validation and voila, you have your phenomenon. Ever heard of Occam's Razor? There are plenty of explanations that are rational and don't need woo-woo pseudo-reasoning. People have to do some critical thinking first, and that does seem to be a problem for most. All the conclusive evidence that has been found over the years, was evidence that debunked the psychic phenomena. Never, ever, has there been any plausible reason to believe in such things other than that people want to believe it.

    The "No psychic can be right all the time" argument looks a lot like the "it just doesn't work that way" explanation. That's just an easy cop out and I've seen it being used way too many times. It shows no backed up or reasonable explanation as to why. It even differs per medium, like they all have their own set of rules, isn't that just convenient. Dubois says she has a very high succes rate, and even attributes a percentage to it. She does not, however, comply in double blind, replicable testing to confirm that claim. Why not? Because it would show that she's just making that number up? And no, science has not always been succesfull in explaining everything, nor will it ever be able to, there's always more to learn. But coming short on complete proof (or having a lack of proof) does not in anyway prove the opposite point. Just because full conclusive proof of Dubois being a fraud isn't there (yet), that doesn't mean her claims are true (there's more serious evidence that she is a fraud than her not being a fraud). If you want to have a serious discussion about this, do read the links I provided about the Dubois Debunked week, if you can take the time out of your day to do so.

    In the mean time, people like Dubois, Sylvia Browne and John Edwards are raking in millions of dollars because people just like to believe them.

    And to throw you a bone, I'm now going back to kicking puppies. That's it though, because stealing candy from babies is just plain mean, even though too much sugar is bad for them.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ChristineDuvall

    ChristineDuvall

    [28]Jun 15, 2010
    • member since: 11/16/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Medium TV series is fictionalized; it's not fiction. It is based on me and my dreams. Allison Dubois may have inspired the show, but it isn't based on her.

    Most of the crimes depicted in Medium happened between 1982 and 1984 in Arizona, Texas, New York, Maryland, and the Washington, D.C. area. At the time, Joe and Allison Dubois were children, so obviously, the show isn't based on them. It's not true that the real story happened in the 1990s.

    My name really was put on the application for a search warrant to exhume the grave of a police officer who was shot with his own gun. The gun used to kill him was found inside his coffin.

    I really did follow the woman home from the grocery store. I really did go to confession to try to read the priest's mind about where a kidnapped woman was at. I really did say what the Texas Rangers should say to an inmate to get him to tell the authorities what a killer had told him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lady_Lancaster

    Lady_Lancaster

    [29]Jun 15, 2010
    • member since: 05/27/09
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,152

    I am a fan of the show but not so certain about the real Allison or her claims. This takes nothing away from Patricia Arquette or her performance which I think is excellent (although Jake Weber annoys the hell out of me. I like the actor, not the character.)


    I have a genuine psychic in my family and I have never, ever known them to be wrong in their readings, not even once and we are talking about more than 25 years. This relative of mine does not do the 'celebrity' thing at all, but rather reads for people via word of mouth and doesn't charge them anything or write books etc. but they are, nonetheless, the genuine article.


    It is my opinion (and this is only an opinion) that the real Allison Dubois and John Edward, just to name two, are fradulent. I have watched them both, read books, looked at interviews and remained absolutely and completely unconvinced that they have any skill at all apart from the ability to deceive others. The reality is, a true clairvoyant is VERY rare but the amount of people who claim to be, unfortunately, not so rare.


    Having said all that, I really enjoy 'Medium' for it's entertainment value and I am very glad that it has been renewed for another season.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.