Medium

It's a Wonderful Death

Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 21, 2010 on CBS

• Where did Ariel's High School year's go?

When I read shimmybinny's review which questions Ariel finishing High School this year I decided to look into it. I looked back at the third season since that should have been her first year of High School if she is graduating in Season 6 (Season 3-9th grade, 4-10th, 5-11th, 6-12th). I remembered a trip to the principal's office in Joe Day Afternoon. I scanned to it and low and behold, shimmy was spot on. Ariel wants to call her mom and the principal tells her that she's in 8th grade and should be able to handle her anxiety on her own. Nice catch shimmy.

Spoiler Alert: As for this episode, I'll simply say I'm glad Allison saw ahead of time how selfish it would be to have someone with her gift, such as Ariel, do Allison's bidding after she passes. Best line all season, "Crawl back into your grave and I will come visit you on Mother's Day and Christmas!"

Once again a spirit misleads Allison. I wonder when she will stop taking spirits at their word. They've lied before to protect someone. She does seem to be a slow learner though. How many times has she seen someone at the scene or dumping a body after a murder and assumed that person committed the murder only to have a more complete vision or dream later that clears them? How many times will she see one of her own kids in danger only to realize that it was a metaphor, not a warning? I haven't seen this show since it was on the air. I enjoyed it so I decided to watch it here, only to find that when viewed in quick succession, Allison seems very thick headed. Medium drinking game anyone? Drink whenever Allison or one of her daughters (Bridgette mostly) say's, "but I saw it!" Drink whenever Joe has to talk Allison down after waking in a panic. Drink every time Devalos or Scanlon have to remind Allison that her dreams are not evidence. How drunk would we get? Well let me put it this way, the gifted among us would never see or hear ghosts while playing that game.

It's still a good show, but I must say I take comfort in assuming the real Allison DuBois doesn't see things exactly the way the fictional one does. I also assume she's never actually been possessed or switched bodies, but what fun would that be for a tv show?
  • bad episode for finale

2.5
    They need to come up with more original story lines asap seems like they are just re vamping old ones over the past few ep's it getting boring and predictable and the are going to get axed to just like ghost whisprer . i think anyway that this should of been axed instead cause i am finding that they have ran out of ideas and it has ran its course. used to be so into this program now i am so over it needs new writer to breath some life back in because it has gone really stale and it would be a shame to see another program go as we have already lost GW come on writer's give as some more juicy story line loyal fans are waiting
  • Pretty good but not the best season finale ever

(spoilers ahead)   I enjoyed this episode. Yeah I think the season 5 finale was WAY better than this one... But I'm pretty impressed that they didn't make this season finale crap. The episodes right at the beginning of the season were wonderful, after that Christmas break the episodes had really dropped. I was ALWAYS excited for Friday to come and after when they episode was over... I was dissapointed. But the episodes after " There will be blood... Type A" they started to become better.  But the preview for this episode looked EXTREMLY awesome and I couldn't wait! So when I watched it taped... I knew that when they were going to bed, something wrong was going to happen because in the preview it showed him trying to wake her up. And when they had people over in all black... We all probably knew she was dead. It was very sad with the music and looking at the girls crying. And seeing Devalos and his wife there.

I didn't see it coming when Devalos got shot, was he shot? I don't really know. But what I didn't like was that when Allison was dead she was still trying to solve the crimes... And making Ariel go to the DA's office and all. Like if your dead than go to the happier place and leave your dang daughter alone so she can consentrate on her future! But it was also sad that Ariel started to drink so she could block out her mom. And hearing Allison crying In the background really broke my heart. It was emotional. But now comes the ending. I was a little dissapointed that it all was a dream. But they ( I don't really know who) announced on Twitter that " Medium" was coming back for another season, well I started to wonder that how would they continue the show without Allison? So I knew that somehow she wouldn't be dead for sure. I was hoping that something would happen over time and she can go back into the past before she died. Like kind of what happened to Ariel in " Time keeps on slipping". But I guess not. And I'm just a little sick of her ALWAYS dreaming about things. Like when I found out it was a dream I was relived but a little anoyed. Can't some things in the show NOT be a dream?? Like common. But I liked that Scanlon and Lynn got married. I thought it was time for them to have a wedding and I thought it was a nice ending.

And one last thing. I didn't really like the mystery about the belt person or whatever. I thought the writers could have done WAY better. Like I don't know how many times I watched the season 5 finale and haven't got bored of it. But I'm sure that when I buy season 6 on DVD I will not watch this finale. But overall this season was pretty good. Since they're coming back for another season I REALLY REALLY hope that season 7 will be sooo much better. But if they don't come up with better stories than what's the point for doing a season 7 when we know it's going to be crap? But I love medium, I really do and I'm excited for the fall so it returns to CBS
  • Need some work on the story lines, please.

I've been watching Medium since it's inception. I've always enjoyed the program but lately it seems to be getting a little corney. Last week's episode with the pig? I was visiting my girlfriend and I've been telling her it was a good show and then they have an episode on about a pig? I was embarassed. Please. Let's have some better writing. I don't know if the show still has the same writers as when it began, but the writing seems to be slipping. We don't want to get hokey like Ghost Story. I hope next season has better story lines.
  • Not the best season finale, but definitely enjoyable!

I liked this episode a lot. I can see how some people might think it was a little boring, but the truth is, this could have verry well been the series finale. Detective Scanlon and Lynn got married and we saw a little bit of the future. Devalos's death and Ariel growing up and getting into college. This episode showed the prospect of the future for Allison's family and Devalos's office. It also showed the bond between mother and daughter. It's good to see some shows still have family morals. I am also happy it got picked up. Now we can see what happens to Ariel when she leaves to college. (I thought she was a junior... wasn't she in 6th grade when the show started and it's been 6 seasons so she should be a junior, unless she was in 7th grade)
  • Well, it could have been a lot worse. Still, it wasn't great :( **Spoilers in the review**

This was an interesting little episode - but there were a couple things about it that keep me from rating it any higher than just "fair." The first is that it was so obvious than Alison wasn't going to stay dead. Even if it weren't for the fact that the show has been renewed (which means she HAS to be around for that,) the way the episode started would have been a dead giveaway. Every episode of the show starts with Alison having a dream and waking up before the credits roll. In this case, there was no wake-up, so it was obvious that she was still dreaming. That just killed a lot of the tension, and drained any emotion from what should have been the shock of Devalos dying as well.

My other problem was with Alison, herself. Yes, Alison has always been a bit of a neurotic mother, but she's also generally a very sensitive mother - one who cares a great deal about what's best for her children. The idea that she would keep pushing Ariel to work on criminal cases - to the point of acting like her schoolwork is almost an intrusion - is really out of character. Sure, Alison cares about her crime fighting and about the lives she's helped save, but I simply can't see her pushing Ariel to stay in Phoenix solely to work on crimes there.

Topping it all off, the way Patricia Arquette was acting tonight, her voice was really screechy - it was kind of annoying. I suspect it wouldn't have stood out as much if Alison hadn't been written so far out of character, but combined with the other things, it really cut into my ability to enjoy the episode.

That said, though, the story itself was interesting, and Mary-Louise's scam was a nice twist that I hadn't seen coming. And I'm very glad that the show is returning next year. It's been a favourite of mine since it debuted and continues to be something I look forward to every week. One week episode - even a weak season finale - isn't going to trump that!
  • Al's brain tumor returns in a sneaky way and messes up Ariel and the husband...

Overall this episode and only this episode was all over the place. While watching it was annoying very much so in certain sections. It felt like the story was forgotten and there was a push for acting from character Ariel only. Alison became super whinning and a very bad version of herself. This entire episode could have been done much smarter as there is an awesome cast (of course we all know that) and the story was totally possible to be done as an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G finale. I am highly disappointed. Of course by the last 3rd the show finally come back to itself... I am offended as a huge fan and as a creative writer. It was lazy, all over the place and weak for the most part. When there was good/great parts they were few and far between. This has been the worst episode of Medium, let alone the worst finale I've seen in at least the past 3 years. Shame on all involved (up until the last 3rd of show where it picked up again).
  • Wonderful!!!

It was a beautiful finale!!! I look forward to the next season. It was very sad a first at the thought of Blanche DuBois being dead. I loved how it showed her how muc she was missed and loved by her family and co-workers. Her work through Ariel was genius. It helped her work through the realization that she has to let go of her first baby no matter gifted she is with the spirit world.

I enjoyed Magaret Colin in the guest role as the new DA. She never disappoints no matter what role she plays.

The finale was very satisfying to me and I look forward to more great acting and writing next season!!!!
  • A slow, disappointing episode... not what you expect for a season finale. (Spoilers)

As soon as I saw Allison die, I guessed it was a dream which is always disappointing. I thought the episode dragged out, nothing too emotional, just a slow storyline. It did pick up at the end but there was no OMG that I like to see in a season finale. It didn't get me pining, wishing it was time for the next season already, or wondering where the story would go next. I am also a Ghost Whisperer fan, so am surprised that Medium has been picked up for another season yet Ghost Whisperer hasn't. I believe Medium needs to step up a pace to keep alive after next season in the cut-throat world of ratings and cancellations.