Medium

Labor Pains

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 14, 2011 on CBS

• The pre-opening credits part of this episode looked as though we were in for a good 43 minutes of television but I found myself extremely disappointed as it went on, sometimes to the level of utter ridiculousness.

To me, the second last episode of a series which has run for seven years should be edge-of-your-seat, nail biting television. This was nothing of the sort, in fact, at times it dipped so low it was farcical.

Allison should have made a report of some kind about Jeremy when he appeared at her office and started harassing her. When he called her cell phone, she should have had Scanlon or Devalos on the phone immediately and had the idiot picked up. It was almost funny how easily he managed to be in exactly the right place at the right time and take her to the home of his missing wife. It lapsed into pure comedy when he gave her water drugged with sleeping pills and she dropped off in a matter of seconds. I wish! As for Marie's 'learning disbility', I have actually always thought she might have suffered from one so when it was decided that she didn't, I was more than a little surprised.

To lowest point of the entire episode was when Allison was so forgiving and Jeremy was deemed to be a 'good guy' after all, in spite of the fact that he had kidnapped and held hostage a member of the D.A.'s staff, drugged her and terrorised her with a gun.

I have to assume that the writers have just given up now, and the acting was appalling. I am used to far better things from this excellent show and was sorely disappointed that the episode was so bad and that, given that there is only one more left, there was hardly any forshadowing of what is to come. It will make me sad if a show I have loved for seven years goes out with a whimper rather than a bang. If this episode is anything to go by, I'm quite worried about how it will all turn out. I can only hope for the best and hope that the writers throw everything they have into the series finale. 'Medium' deserves that.