Medium

Raising Cain

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 2006 on CBS

• I didn't quite buy the resolution, but it was still a good mystery

As usual, Allison’s abilities show up in an unexpected but logical way, giving her clues about where Trevor’s life might lead, depending on the resolution of the present situation. There’s the concern about Trevor’s survival as well, since his mother seems to have some odd psychotic religious beliefs. And I don’t mean that as a slam against religiosity…the woman was psychotic above and beyond her religious background.

I was a little worried at first, because in a very general sense, this territory was covered by a fourth season episode of “Dead Zone”. What makes this one a bit more interesting is the fact that Allison is already a parent, and she has a daily reminder of how three lives are directly dependent on her influence. At the same time, that leads to certain assumptions that keep her from seeing the situation clearly until the very end.

All that said, I’m not sure I buy the idea that Trevor was inspired to be a good and moral child because of his near-death and mother’s suicide. The reason that Allison is so shocked by that revelation is that it runs completely counter to the typical trend. Sure, the easy answer is that it’s an atypical situation, thus the whole point of the story, but it doesn’t necessarily address the concern (at least, it doesn’t fully overcome the challenge to my willing suspension of disbelief).

The guest cast was very good. I’m usually a bit worried about child actors, since they tend towards the horrific. But the actor who played Trevor did exactly what he needed to do, and the real coup was the actress who played his mother. She switched from pseudo-normality to psychotic almost too easily!

Beyond that, I don’t have much to say about the episode. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, and it covered the usual ground, and it did so with the typical “Medium” competence and touch. I’m just not entirely sold on the overall direction that it took. I can’t imagine how all those horrible experiences, after a lifetime of psychological abuse, could produce a success story. But this wouldn’t be the first time that I struggled with an episode’s premise based solely on my particular and admittedly subjective point of view.
  • great episode

Allison dreams of a teenage boy who becomes a psychotic killer and kills his fellow classmates. When she wakes up, the dream makes no sense until he visits det. scanlon's office. allison goes to a house of a couple who had their son abducted. She senses that the boy's mom might be involved in the abduction. Allison gets more dreams about the case and figures out what she can do to help. This episode gets a case solved but in a different way. But it's a good ending. the writers came up with a great episode, i really liked this episode.
  • What would you do when you're raising evil (spoilers)

When you feel it inside yourself? When you see it every day? When you nurse him? Give him life? What would you do if you know you're the cause of it?

Shoot him in the head and leave him for dead, at least that's what his mom does. When Detective Scanlon brings Allison along in order to find a 7 year old boy reported missing the medium sees not only the dumpster where he was thrown by his own mother but also the mayhem he's bound to cause in the future when he'll slaughter all his classmates at age 15.

In order to understand the episode we have to understand the mother and the reasons why she would try to kill her only child. Now, mothers such as Charlize Theron on "The Astronaut's Wife" or Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's baby" who've struggle with this dilemma in the past always resolve it in the same way; despite the evidence, regardless the certainty, their children come first, as mothers they would always love and protect them even if the whole world comes to an end but this mother resolves to destroy her child based on a vision similar as the one Allison has.

As Davalos points out, their responsibility is to the 7 year old lying on a hospital bed and to worry about his classmates when the time comes. However, it doesn't have to be that way: Allison has a vision of the same kid, all grown up, class valedictorian, loving son and good example, all because of his mom. Only catch is that's all because his mother suicides, right on cue, a week after he was shot and left for dead when he was a 7 year old.
  • Allison's girls are growing up

7.8
    Most of the episode had to do with the little boy that was kidnapped. You knew the mother had to be either crazy or overly religious. The storyline of the youngest girl getting bigger was great. It shows Allison has real problems at home. I liked that the boy turned out good at the end.