Medium

Suspicions and Certainties

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 10, 2005 on CBS

7.3
  • Psychic with a bad memory

I thought this was another great episode, where we get to see Allison judge her abilities and find out how certain her she is of her premonitions. The main case with Ivan Kinetko was really disturbing to watch, and it was interesting to see how Allison selected the members of the jury for the trial.

I also liked the mix of humor that was added to this episode, like Allison's dinner with the couples, or finding out where her face for Ivan actually came from. Some scenes that stood out for me were when we see Maxine Harris being interviewed, when Allison sees the real Ivan Kinetko on TV, and how she deals with it. Overall, I thought this was a great continuation to the pilot, and it gave us another look on Allison's personality.
  • The psychic with a bad memory!

This is a cracking second episode from Medium. After such a strong pilot, it's reassuring to know that it wasn't just a once off, and that this series seems capable of genuinely intriguing, horrific and often funny storytelling.

Again, kudos to our two leads, Patricia and Jake, who give such likeable and believable performances. Their rapport is so playful and sweet, you actually believe they've been together for many years. Relationships on some shows tend to take a while to grow on me, but with Allison and Joe they immediately clicked. While Allison's character goes through the ringer in this episode, with Patricia showing exceptional range, it was Joe who stole this episode for me. I love his humour, and he gets the best one-liners. That's not to say Allison is some plain Jane, far from it, in fact, when the two are onscreen together the script just sizzles, it's just that Joe gets the upper hand in terms of the funnys ('Hey, hot lips.').

Now, to view the hour from the other end of the spectrum, this was one twisted episode. Allison's dreams were both shocking and delightfully zany. The opening sequence was just gross! I loved the Italy dream sequence and the mislead with the woman sunbathing. Hopefully the show continues with these oddball dream sequences, they're wonderful…in a sick kind of way.

Special mention must go to Aisha Hinds (Loomis on Dollhouse, Miss Jenette on True Blood), she gives an incredible performance in such a short space of time. I liked the bits where the potential juror did the voice-over, but when it cut to Aisha, I was blown away. A fine piece of casting and a magnificent performance.

Overall, this is a seriously good offering from Medium. I hope the show can keep this standard of storytelling up. I thoroughly enjoyed that we didn't get closure on the entire Murder-Mystery until the last minute, and it played in nicely to the subplot of a psychic with a bad memory. Brava.
  • Even better than the pilot

The second episode is even better than the pilot. It really sets the tone for the rest of the series. Expect the unexpected. Allison sees things in her dreams relating to murders by a necrophiliac so it is not going to be the sort of thing everyone is going to want to watch so be warned it may not your cup of tea. I should point out that I believe it was tastefully done. The great thing about Medium is that they know where to draw the line and the darkness is perfectly balanced with the lighter side with the Dubois family. I enjoyed this episode and love the chemistry between Allison and Joe.
  • Second episode, technically the first episode of its regular run since the pilot sets up the series.

The show can be very formulaic so its nice to see some variations on what would become the standard plot line of 1) Allison has dream
    2) Allison had problems in family
    3) Allison can't figure out dream and comes to a lot of wrong conclusions
    4) Allison gets it right in the end
    5) Allison solves problem with family. In this case she is trying to find her way in the world and gain the respect of the district attorney. She is faced with a death row inmate but more importantly she is now the jury expert trying to sort out the right jurors. On the family side, the relationship is more brisk and crass with the not-so-cozy situations that we see often later on. The episode is far less dark and moody than the pilot and the dicotomy of part-time psychic and part time mother is starting to focus. In short, this is episode number 2
  • Necrophilli-a-Go-Go

The main case of the episode was completely sick. Opening with a scene featuring a sex scene straight out of some Shannon Tweed movie is already pushing the envelope, so when we discover that the guy is having sex with a woman's decaying corpse, it just gets even more insane. Since Medium is aired at 10pm, literally anything can happen, and the teaser sequence was only the first sign of how nasty this show gets sometimes.

The investigation into the case was intriguing, and I loved that Allison ultimately realized her dreams were incorrect. The running gag of a "psychic with a bad memory" was really fun, and the chemistry between Patricia Arquette and Jake Weber is extraordinary. They really do seem like a realistic couple, and it's always great to see them goofing around. I also thought Patricia Arquette really sold Allison this episode more than usual. She manages to put across Allison's feelings and emotions without dialogue, and instead with subtle head movements or sincere glances. She's truly an excellent actress, and by far one of the most underrated in her field.

Whilst Davalos and the DA's office was mostly kept in the background in the pilot, Suspicions and Certainties is mainly centered on it, and, outside of Law & Order, I know no other show that can make something so tedious as jury selection interesting. In particular, I loved the scene where Allison had a vision of Maxine Harris tearing up and destroying her mother's hospital room. It was a perfectly paced moment, and amazingly acted by guest star Aisha Hinds, who just blew me away in such a short space of time.

My favorite scenes from the episode were the ones featuring Allison and Joe out with friends. I thought it was really imaginative to make Allison sit back and stay quiet, whilst secretly receiving psychic flashes of the truth behind her friend's stories.

Again, yet another episode that impresses. Suspicions and Certainties had an effective and plain nasty mystery, as well as some excellent interplay between the two leads.

Director: Vincent Misiano
    Writer: Glenn Gordon Caron
    Rating: A
  • After a great start Medium goes from great to superb.

By the second episode of Medium I was use to its diffrent and unique style of the show and really got to enjoying it. This episode was the bomb. I thought the mystery was good, evn though it was kind of creepy and I loved the twist at the end.
  • This is a typical 2nd episode. I like the way the personal life of allison is presented.

7.3
    When I watch the show, i like the insight into her life with her husband. Altough I sense that there will be many wake up scenes to follow. Allison is getting into her new job. I just wish that there was a bit more of a dynamic going on. There is just a lot of talking and talking. Nice twist and turns.