Medium

Suspicions and Certainties

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 10, 2005 on CBS

7.3
  • Necrophilli-a-Go-Go

The main case of the episode was completely sick. Opening with a scene featuring a sex scene straight out of some Shannon Tweed movie is already pushing the envelope, so when we discover that the guy is having sex with a woman's decaying corpse, it just gets even more insane. Since Medium is aired at 10pm, literally anything can happen, and the teaser sequence was only the first sign of how nasty this show gets sometimes.

The investigation into the case was intriguing, and I loved that Allison ultimately realized her dreams were incorrect. The running gag of a "psychic with a bad memory" was really fun, and the chemistry between Patricia Arquette and Jake Weber is extraordinary. They really do seem like a realistic couple, and it's always great to see them goofing around. I also thought Patricia Arquette really sold Allison this episode more than usual. She manages to put across Allison's feelings and emotions without dialogue, and instead with subtle head movements or sincere glances. She's truly an excellent actress, and by far one of the most underrated in her field.

Whilst Davalos and the DA's office was mostly kept in the background in the pilot, Suspicions and Certainties is mainly centered on it, and, outside of Law & Order, I know no other show that can make something so tedious as jury selection interesting. In particular, I loved the scene where Allison had a vision of Maxine Harris tearing up and destroying her mother's hospital room. It was a perfectly paced moment, and amazingly acted by guest star Aisha Hinds, who just blew me away in such a short space of time.

My favorite scenes from the episode were the ones featuring Allison and Joe out with friends. I thought it was really imaginative to make Allison sit back and stay quiet, whilst secretly receiving psychic flashes of the truth behind her friend's stories.

Again, yet another episode that impresses. Suspicions and Certainties had an effective and plain nasty mystery, as well as some excellent interplay between the two leads.

Director: Vincent Misiano