Medium

The Darkness is Light Enough

Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 01, 2006 on CBS

• Wouldn't most people spend $150 on a motion activated webcam and have a friend monitor it for them?

5.5
    Wouldn't most people spend $150 on a motion activated webcam and have a friend monitor it for them? I liked everything about this episode except the glaring ease with which the perp could have detected immediately. How about putting an un-uniformed officer INSIDE her apartment overnight?

The acting was good, the subplot was great, not too much fake angry arguing. It just wasn't good enough for me to overcome the really obvious logic shortcomings.

After a couple of years, you do wonder when the police and district attorney will start to take her more seriously, but that would remove the easy obvious built in 'drama', I suppose.
  • great episode

Allison keeps dreaming of a man who strangles someone in a bedroom. She dreams about this again and again throughout the night. She couldn't figure out what it means. When she attends a parole hearing of a man convicted of murdering his ex girlfriend, she finds a connection with the convicted man. Allison pays a visit at Det. Scalon's office and finds more clues over there. Pretty soon she pieces the puzzle to the clue about her recent dreams. It's a really exciting episode. Right from the start, the tension keeps building and the excitement never stops. It's an excellent episode.
  • Blurring the lines.

Joe has been working late for a week now and Allison must cope with her dreams all by herself but when Davalos takes her to parole board duty she connect the dots to the woman of her visions. Davalos however, reacts as the typical district attorney: "the man does the crime he must do the time!". Unable to consider even the possibility one of the prisoners may actually be a wrongfully accused case (and the next victim about to be attacked by the real criminal), he does let her go to Scanlon, if they come up with something, and only if they come up with something, he’ll consider the possibility and that’s it.

Allison multitasks between her children and Joe's errands so by the time she reaches Scanlon’s office he already has somebody waiting for him, someone who happens to be the person from her vision, a blind woman named Kathleen. Now, those of you who have seen "Lost" know how bad it is when sparks start flying between the married & the taken like it happened with Sun and Michael or Kate and Sawyer, now when the audience is actually rooting for them then we know their marriages/relationships are in troubles. Case in question: dashing yet emotionally unavailable detective with married mother of 3; who get caught up on their own version of the "lets go to the kitchen!" dynamic once Kathleen invades Scanlon's personal space in order to prove there's someone stalking her, after a couple of "I had a vision" hints Lee is willing to do as Allison says, even if it means to protect someone otherwise he wouldn’t bother to.

Just like Joe, I wouldn't know how to react if my significant other wakes up in the middle of the night to call a stranger at 2 AM, I would definitely consider it a problem if said stranger is not even surprised to get the phone call and does everything to reassure my significant other before they see each other the next morning. As bad as things may be with his job, Joe should be a little more proactive when it comes to Scanlon or his job might not be the only thing he could lose.

In the end, the wrongfully accused prisoner was the key to solve the mystery of Kathleen's stalker: her next door neighbor who happened to commit the crime for which Davalos imprisoned an innocent man. There's a happy ending for Joe too as his rival is revealed as inexperienced to take his job (now it's time for him to pay attention to the other rival in his life, or at least acknowledge his existence).
  • Allison repeatedly dreams about a woman who is being watched by a stranger in her bedroom.

7.3
    I agree that something did seem to be missing in this episode. Molly Ringwald was good, no strike that, she was great. Alison's dreams in this episode were kind of stupid and boring. I'm not sure why but I had high hopes for this episode and I felt let down by the fact that it was just a mediocre episode. However, the actors and writers on this show are fairly good, and so even when they have a mediocre episode, it is better than a good episode of a bad TV show. I still have ten words left so I'll say that the whole thing with the guy who was stalking Molly Ringwald was creepy!
  • Allison helps a falsely accused murderer and sheds some light on a blind girls problems. Great episode with everything I have come to expect from Medium.

I was not at all surprised to see another good instalment of Medium. I have not been disappointed by the writers so far. They keep things fresh and I am happy to see the show not riddled with "to be continued" episodes that these types of shows seem to depend on. I love to see the issues resolved in one episode. It just makes a good clean slate every time I tune in.

In this episode Allison sees a blind girl who is being stalked and through her Medium abilities links this case with another and it ends up good for everyone. I like it and we need more of it.

We have enough crazy crap on to watch it is good to have things end up good for a change.
  • Allison helps a blind woman, Joe\'s coworker begs for help.

I thought this episode was extremely good. It was one of the best Medium's I've seen in a while.

Molly Ringwald's acting was superb. The storyline gave me chills up and down. The notion of someone watching you while you sleep, but not being able to know for sure is frightening. The sequence where Allison's dream came true (when it was 8:11 and Molly Ringwald was drinking coffee) was exciting and terrifying.

It was sad that Devalos and Lee didn't believe her at first. Although understandable, Allison's dreams are almost never off. It was nice to see the prisoner set free.

As for Joe and his co-worker, it was quite amusing. Particularly the kneeling part.
  • alican has a feeling that a convicted killer isn\'t guilty, and her dreams tell her that the real killer is still out there.

This episode was good, like always. I persnally thought that Alicians acting was at its best as well as the rest of the cast. I loved the varity in this show. like this one was about a blind lady who had a perverted sicko living in her apartment, taking photos of her and doing god knows what else to her. I loved the ending when ALician told the lady to throw the cup of coffee over her shoulder. That was classic.
  • I'm not sure why, but it felt like something was missing...

A lot was made of Molly Ringwald’s guest appearance in this episode, but frankly, I didn’t see what all the fanfare was about. Sure, she did a good job with the part, and the promotion wasn’t really her fault, but why couldn’t the producers let the performance speak for itself? It was all a bit much, especially since Molly’s character was only in a few scenes. (I have the same worry over Kesley Grammer’s upcoming appearance.)

Anyway, this episode had a solid plot, even if it was easy to figure out that Kathleen was blind. But as usual, there was something that bugged me, and it was amplified by Scanlon’s reactions. Allison has been working for Devalos for almost two years. How often has she been proven wrong? And this was a relatively straightforward scenario. Given how useful Allison has been in terms of getting to the truth of a matter, why question her instincts so adamantly?

For that matter, Scanlon acts like an idiot in this episode. Even if Kathleen’s complaints are hard to understand, he can’t be so unaware of the issues raised by the circumstances. Kathleen said enough to be convincing (especially since she clearly indicated unwanted physical contact), and he should have been able to wrap his brain around the feelings of violation that Kathleen had to be feeling. I found his protestations to be rather weak and out of character.

On the other hand, I liked Joe’s little subplot, because who hasn’t been in that kind of position at work before? Especially in the engineering world, this sort of thing is all too routine. When push comes to shove and people need to be let go, the competition can be fierce. I only have one particular quibble with how this is presented. If Joe was already a senior VP in an engineering firm, it’s highly unlikely that he would be the one burning the midnight oil. He could simply be the kind of person who prefers to do things himself when his job is on the line, but in my engineering experience, people at that level will force their direct reports to work 24/7, rather than did it themselves. (If they are there so late, it’s more about documentation and presentation, or more likely, the review thereof prior to the actual meeting.)

Overall, it was a good enough episode, but something felt like it was missing. As usual, I like the portrayal of a couple with a healthy sex life (even if they are still more affectionate and active than most couples I know), but to be honest, the final scene bugged me. I hate it when I can tell how the actors are jumping into a scene; it’s better when the editor has a little more to work with, so the scene is more natural from the beginning. But who knows? Maybe that was a quick pick-up at the end of a very long shoot!
  • A fine attempt

Molly Ringwald was good as the blind woman. The guy admitting to a murder he didn't commit was sad. The whole thing about the woman being watched in her sleep was creepy. Joe's storyline was interesting. That younger guy begging for his help was great. I like Joe but wish they would add more to him.
  • My favorite episode so far

When I saw Molly Ringwald was guest starring, I was a little worried. Did someone take her eyesight for real? What a great job she did with the blindness. She\'s come a long way since Sixteen Candles.

I was beginning to think that Allison only had one suit that she wears to work - really happy to see her with something other than gray on towards the end.

Did it scare anyone else when she was in the kitchen, and the perp was right behind her sitting on the couch. I kept looking over my shoulder ALL night. Creeped me out majorly! Can\'t wait for next week.
  • Allison’s gets visions about a woman being kissed by a convicted murderer.

Interesting episode with Molly Ringwald (who still looks hot!!!) . The man Allison’s spots in her dream, Sam Elkin is serving a life sentence for a murder that Allison’s doesn’t think he did. Obviously being in prison would present a distortion in victim’s , Kathleen Walsh (Ringwald)’story. The alleged crime had to do with man kissing Walsh who is blind after he broke in her house.

I also think was also an erotic themed episode and that’s a good thing. While Walsh
    reported this as a crime in Allison’s visions, she did kiss her peeping tom back. Obviously voyeurism too was also a part of this episode.

Eventually Allison’s gets more vision and re-interviews Elkin and learns the real truth.

A very nice episode overall.

• Even though I missed the first ten minutes, it's still the best episode of Medium that I can remember.

I loved Molly Ringwald since I first saw her in a movie that was not as popular as the Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles, but I can't remember what it was called. So I was very happy when Medium started advertising her guest appearance. And man, was she performance riveting!

I'd have to say that I'm relieved to not see the girls who annoy me to no extent. But the relationship between Allison and Joe are amazingly displayed in this episode. I loved every moment they spent time in bed, hugging, talking, her telling about her dream, him telling about his work. I seriously think I can watch them chat in bed for a whole hour and not get bored.

The crime story was so unique. The story about the girl who went to someone's apartment and put on a eyemask to go to sleep was creepy. And every time they flashed the image of the guy sitting on the sofa, I got chills down my spine, especially when Ringwald's character was in the kitchen holding a hot cup of cofee.

The climax was just brilliant with Allison realising that the psycho was in the victim's house at the moment. And then Ringwald's character pretended to be talking to her mom and dumps the hot cofee on the psycho then followed by the struggl...it was all a very intense 5 minutes or so.

What made it even better was how the show ended. Usually Medium has either the problem of discussing the aftermath of the crime for way too long or none at all, but this week, it was short and neat. Then the episode ends with Joe and Allison in bed again. What else could I ask for?

Great, just wonderful. I would have loved to see the first ten minutes of this incredible episode, but I was amazed how quickly I caught on to the storyline.
  • I enjoyed this episode of "Medium" so much that it is hard for me to describe in words.

Medium had been getting so good lately that I find myself even more excited to catch a new episode on Monday nights then I have been for the last year and a half, and that is hardly possible since it is allready the show I most look forward to. But every element of this episode just came together so well, supported by a riveting performance by Molly Ringwald who I havn't seen in years.