Medium

Time Keeps on Slipping

Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 07, 2010 on CBS

• So bad.

I have never seen a worse episode of Medium. In this episode Ariel is supposed to be losing time. Eventually she discovers that she is losing time in order to go into the future to prevent it from even occuring (I know, backwards). But that's not what really gets me. Yes, it is disturbing that Ariel never physically ages but that's not the worst of it.

To me, the very worst aspect of this episode is that Ariel seems to lose time at the most inopportune time. First, when Ms. Kerrigan is killed and then when her mother is killed. Also, why does her losing time have to directly coincide with her "husband's" crimes. The way this episode is set up the only way that would be in anyway feasible (even on a paranormal level) would be for "husband" to be the one who is causing her to lose time. And of course, that is not the case. Also if they were going to relate Ariel's experience to the way Allison's normally are then: Ariel would probably have beenacting in a manner close to the way the murder victimacted directly prior to being killed or in a manner similar to how the murderer did. In many of the episodes in which Allison cannot account for her behavior this is usually the case.

One much smaller thing that bothered me after finishing the episode is remembering the dream Allison had at the beginning of the episode.This should have triggered something for Allison when Ariel mentions losing time for the first time, but the dream is never referred back to, leading me to believe that this episode is a hodge podge of use and don't use.

I felt like this episode was a waste of my time and I really hope I can black it out and enjoy the rest of the show.

• A mind-blowing episode!

This episode was a trippy, bizarre ride that kept me guessing at every turn. I loved how the viewers got to feel as disoriented as Ariel felt losing time. I thought the actor playing Ariel's love interest did a really good job with the part. On the whole, I thought this episode was one of the best of the season.

I do have two criticisms though. 1). At the police station, Mrs. Kerrigan's son seems to recognize Ariel as his former babysitter. This seems highly unlikely. She definitely would have had to continue babysitting him after his mother's death in order for him to remember her, since he was just a baby at the time. Since Ariel would be off to college just two years after his mother's death, it's less than likely that she would continue babysitting him until he was of an age that he would be able to remember her and recognize her ten years later. 2). In the episode, they never really address the fact that Ariel doesn't really age along with everyone else. Her hair and clothes may be different, but her face remains her sixteen-year-old face. I would have liked to have seen this addressed in some way, so it just didn't seem that they were just unsuccessful in making her look older.

Other than those two issues, a super strong episode that still deserves a 10!
  • A Tragically Beautifully written Story

I must admit that I have never been the biggest fan of Medium. Not that I thought it was a bad show, but up until its move to CBS it just never caught my attention. This episode proves how much I was missing. Not only is it cleverly written but its wonderfully acted as well. Sofia Vassilieva does a great job as Ariel, portraying the justified fear that one should feel if they lose chunks of time. But even more than that Medium proves that it is a great show because even if their parts are greatly diminished, Patricia Arquette, Jake Weber, Miguel Sandoval and David Cubitt still make their presence well known. Whats also great about this episode is how it asks that questions of what if? That moment at the end where Ariel asks Allison to call her Panda Bear, that just about brought me to tears. Even if you don't know the show, I definitely recommend you see this one.