Meerkat Manor Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on Animal PlanetBetween Seasons

the collar

NedFan01

[1]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 2

you know the collar that the main female wears.how do they get it on?

Edited on 09/22/2007 11:38am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

coolchris44

[2]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 22
    NedFan01 wrote:

you know the collar that the main female wears.how do they get it on?

i think the students who are studying put them on the meerkats.. i think!

murlow12

[3]Oct 2, 2007
    I've always wondered, too, b/c it seems so intrusive. Obviously the researchers put it on, but I guess it doesn't interfere too much with the meerkat's natural activities.

JMflower

[4]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    OK!!!!!!!!!

Flower_Legend

[5]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    I guess whoever has a clearer role of dominance gets the collar. Like Flower. There is no question she is the D.F (Dominant Female) of the Whiskers. Zaphod, however, has some competition with his brother, Youssarian. Besides, Zaphod is always eager to please Flower but Flower is aloof. Obviousy dominance. How do they get it on? Well, first of all, they go over to the gang and look for the leader. Then, they grab them by the back of the neck, and carry them to a place where they will be able to put the collar on without being disturbed by the other meerkats. If the other meerkats sw them they probably would jump all over them or maybe even attack them, thinking that their suffocating the poor thing (they put them on their side and hold them down so they don't struggle while getting the collar on). Then, they put the meerkat in a container for a few second (they punched holes in the lid so they don't suffer from lack of air), then, the turn the container on its side and open it, and leave so the meerkat can get on with its normal life.

This process is shown with Flower's daughter, Tosca.

Ledgo

[6]May 25, 2008
    I think they do that when they HAVE to weigh them and such to study and record data that is required for the show. The collar is suppose to track them.

Cruise_meerkat

[7]Jun 6, 2008
    The collar isn't a symbol of dominance, though they like to put the collar on dominant animals, because the subordinates will follow them.

The researchers only use the collars to find the group. They can go on either the DF or the DM. Sometimes they've even been on subordinates! So the collar doesn't mean dominance.

cactusjack39

[8]Dec 21, 2008
    • level: 30
    I think the collar is opened in the middle and they slide it onto the meerkats neck. Is it that hard to understand that a thread had to be made for this?

MeerkatShakes

[9]May 29, 2010

Meerkats like Flower wear the 'radio collars' because they are most likely to be in charge of the group. It isn't necessarily the dominant female that wears the collar, as shown with Hannibal and then Carlos. They are easy to get on by the back of the collar is a small latch sort of device which firmly holds it on their neck. It can also be unattached easily by a certain process. People often think that the Collars can choke the meerkats, but there has no been obvious evidence. If you looked closely at Flower, Rocket Dog, Monkulus, Zaphod, Hannibal, Lola, Punk, Carlos, Tosca and Cazanna you can see their radio collars are slightly loose to prevent them being choked. Even if they get bitten like Flower or Rocket Dog, they don't choke the meerkat and they aren't affected in any way.