TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Meerkat Manor Forums

Animal Planet (ended 2009)

Why has season 3 been so sad

glenalk

[1]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 1

I really love Meerkat Manor, but season 3 has been so sad, just about every episode a new death, and once again tonight one of our favourite meerkats has died

I hope if they make a new series it will be a happier one, watching these meerkats make them almost part of your family, and each evening I have been saddened by another loss.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ferraript

[2]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 7

Yeah, I agree. I am also very sad about it.

But there is nothing we can do, just hope for better times

phf3947

[3]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 71
    Here's my take on the subject.

Season 1 was about a family of cute little meerkats living in a happy little world that most of us didn't realize existed, and it was called Meerkat Manor by the producers. Any bad things that happened to the animals weren't included - it was edited out.

Then with Season 2, Shakespeare had disappeared. Everyone was upset about the loss, but learned to deal with it eventually. Everything else was basically the good things that happened.

With Season 3, it appears that nothing has been edited out - live and death in the Kalahari Desert. Does this make for good and entertaining television? Not for the people who'd learn to love the animals.

As far as a Season 4 is concerned? If the producers are taking the path of total reality and no light-hearted moments, I'm not going to watch it. Sorry.

Slicer17

[4]Sep 28, 2007
    Its about to get worse for those who are waiting to see it.

Unbelieveable.

Dakotagirl823

[5]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 23
    I know, I just watched the latest episode and I had tears in my eyes. Season 3 has not been kind to the meerkats.

10uhCNorm

[6]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 7

***SPOILER***
    As sad as it is, that's life in the desert.

virginia17

[7]Sep 28, 2007
    • level: 25

For so long I always hated Flower for the harsh way she treated/evicted Mozart and several others and I was looking forward to seeing the spoiler that told what was going to her. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as thrilling as I'd hoped. It was so sad!

R.I.P Flower.

MDB316

[8]Sep 29, 2007
    • level: 13

The after effects of the snake bite on Flower were gut wrenching to see, she seemed in so much agony.

Were ahead of you in the UK and sorry to have to tell you but there are plenty more deaths on the way including another Meerkat who has been there from the start

___Shay

[9]Sep 29, 2007
    • level: 16

i just started getting into meerkat manor ,started watching when season 3 started. i never really felt like watching it before but now that i have started to watch it flower quickly became my favorite. but every episode has beensad like you all said. and i wasn't sure if thats just how the show was or if it was just this season but you all say that all the other season aren't so sad so i probably started watching it at the wrong time so sad idk if i will watch it anymore... maybe i'll watch one more and see how it goes but idk how much more sadness from this show i can take.

and yes that scene with flower and her poor head ... i was horrified.

virginia17

[10]Sep 29, 2007

I was aware Flower was going to die, but I didn't know she was going to die doing something noble. I guess as ruthless as she occasionally was (especially during pregnancy), she still had the heart of a mother and the skills of a true leader.

You'll be missed, Flower.

kimberrocks

[11]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 9

This show without Flower will be like:

• Scrubs without JD
    • Friends without Ross and Rachel
    • Grey's Anatomy without Meredith
    • NSYNC without terrible songs
    • Paris Hilton without blonde hair
    • The Sopranos without Tony
    • Nip/Tuck without Sean and Christian

and sadly a garden without a Flower

But i don't think they edited out that much, maybe nothing that tragic really happened during those seasons, anyway RIP Flower, she led a beautiful life and a beautiful clan ... it sux that she died at the top her game; she just got all of the Whiskers back, had new babies, and had the biggest clan ever

Edited on 09/30/2007 6:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dancingbeatle

[12]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 45
    Yep it was very hard to watch the after effect. She looked like she was in so much pain. To me it was like watching a pet who's very sick slowly dying. So does another female become the leader? I mean isn't Zaphod the dad to all of them? What happened to Youssrin? I'll remember her nobility afterall she took in the pup that belonged to the other group.

Safwhite

[13]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    I think this season has been sad because their lives this season have been sad I don't think they really ever edited out much in the way of death and sadness it's just their lives are really tragic right now afterall this is reality, not fake reality show reality with actors pretending to be real, but real life... and death.

virginia17

[14]Oct 2, 2007

Mozart continues to be treated poorly by her family members (that low-life Kinkajou ).

Poor Carlos dies .

The Whiskers lose the twins Len and Squiggy. I still can't believe they left Squiggy like that (but I can't tell if that means they're getting as bad as they're enemies or they did the right thing because there's a chance Squiggy would've died anyway with that poor leg).

Poor Flower dies protecting her kids. Quite a tragic season, isn't it?

tb485

[15]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    The drama and sadness has escalated from the end of the first season.  The first season seemed wild and carefree with the only death to the whiskers being the one pup that died during one of Yossarian's unauthorized burrough moves.  There wasn't much except to acquaint us with those cute furry guys.

The second season was somewhat darker than the first.  Shakespeare was gone as was Tosca, Blossom bit it via a hawk and other tragedies happened.  But by then we are hooked.

Now into season 3 there is no turning back.  One of the bright spots for me was when Axl was adopted into the Whiskers, even by Flower.

As is repeatedly said.  In the Kalahari, it is life or death.  We couldn't expect to see the Whiskers immune from that.

JMflower

[16]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 5
    Yes I do agree with you. that season 3 has been so sad. and I am really upset about Flowers death because she was so faithful and such a great leader.

MeerkatShakes

[17]May 29, 2010

Season 3 has certainly been a rocky ride for the meerkats. Its amazing how many meerkats died or disappeared; Flower, Mozart, Kinkajou, De La Soul, Carlos, Hannibal, Youssarian, Ren and Stumpy... The list goes on. Rumour is that Cazanna too died during the producing of Season 3. It shocks me that all of them died in different ways, but each was a stone to the heart.

Flower; Contracted a snake bite to the head during an underground battle with a Puff adder. Sadly she died within 24 hours.

Mozart; Mozart disappeared, unlike what the show told. A different meerkat was caught by the jackal, not Mozart. She disappeared after Kinkajou's death.

Kinkajou; Poor little Kinks died of starvation - the Starsky were too small to sustain a feeding group and be able to forage in peace. She died in her sleep.

De La Soul; After tagging after the Vivian, they chased her off and presumably killed her. After her incident she was not seen again.

Carlos; Carlos' wound on his left cheek which was inflicted by Hannibal opened up and he contracted an infection through it. He struggled to fight against it and died on the way back to the burrow.

Hannibal; Poor little Hannibal died of TB during the third Season. He was last seen in 'The Graduate' at the beginning.

Youssarian; Youssy disappeared after an extended roving trip with two other males. It isl ikely the group he was roving at chased him off and killed him, but there were no evidence.

Ren; Flowers poor pup was snatched up by a hungry Gosshawk. Unlike Stumpy, Ren was perfectly healthy.

Stumpy; After struggling with his deformed front left leg, the Whiskers abandoned him as they were undercoming pressure from the rivals. Rocket Dog was the leader at the time.