A Melissa & Joey Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

ATTENTION REPLACEMENT SHOWRUNNERS, GET READY

... What's the next Breaking Bad, Rubicon, or Talking Bad? Well it could be either the dark and stabby Knifeman, or the post-apocalyptic Galyntine, as AMC has ordered pilots for both. Knifeman is set in 18th-century London and sounds so disturbing that I don't even know how to describe it. And that's a good thing. What I do know is that it will follow a man named John Tattersal (based on the real-life figure John Hunter) as he pioneers the science of surgery by robbing graves, harvesting organs, and partying hard. Tim Roth had initially been attached to star in the project, but I don't know if he still is (AMC made no mention of him in the press release). The description of Galyntine doesn't really set it apart from other post-apocalyptic dramas, with technology a non-factor and society evolving in different ways. But hey! The after-apocalypse is hot! Catching Fire, dude. I've already seen it 37 times. Both pilots are part of AMC's 2015 development season; the network has two new series—computer pioneer-drama Halt and Catch Fire and Revolutionary War spy drama Turn—debuting in 2014. [AMC via press release]  

BUSINESS TIME

... What's up doc? BBC America's ratings, that's what! (It took me 48 minutes to think of that intro.) The network's Doctor Who 50th anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor," set BBC America records with 2.4 million viewers for its Saturday-afternoon telecast, and was part of a world-record-setting global simulcast as it was aired in 94 countries. (Kaitlin reviewed it here, btw.) BBC America also used the Doctor Who special to launch its new import Atlantis, but that show doesn't have any Time Lords in it, so I'm not sure we're that interested. Anyway, the drama about undersea adventures was BBC America's highest-rated Supernatural Saturdays series premiere, drawing over 838,000 viewers. [BBC America via press release]

... Hey JT_Kirk, I got those premiere dates you asked for: Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy both return January 15 at 8pm. You're welcome! [ABC Family via press release]  

... E! has renewed its WWE-babe reality series Total Divas for a second season. The series follows the oft-surgery-enhanced ladies of wrestling in and out of the ring. I'd like to give them a Piledriver and an elbow to the face, if you know what I mean. E! has also ordered second seasons of talk show Hello Ross and "docuseries" (i.e. garbage) Eric & Jesse: Game On. That second show stars wannabe popstar Jessie James and her fiancee... WAIT A SEC! Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker? Consider your ass dropped from my fantasy team, Deck. [Variety] 

... Hey did you know you can watch HBO's two new comedies Getting On and Ja'mie: Private School Girl for free without holding up your wealthy cable-affording neighbor at gunpoint? Well not totally free, I mean you'll need a computer. And internet access. And you'll need some spare time. And a functioning brain. And the required motor skills to click things. And maybe a tuxedo (black-tie required). [YouTube (Ja'mie: Private School Girl) / YouTube (Getting On)]

CASTING NEWS

... Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) has joined the cast of From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series, the new supernatural drama from Robert Rodriguez that will be the upcoming El Rey Network's first scripted program. The series is based on Rodriguez's bloody film about bank robbers who run into a bunch of vampires in a border town, and also stars Robert Patrick and Don Johnson. The press release didn't mention who Valderrama will play, so please don't ask. [El Rey Network via press release]

... Eldest Cosby daughter Lisa Bonet will guest-star on Sundance's upcoming drama The Red Road. The series follows a cop caught between the residents of a small town and a group of Native Americans. Bonet will play a lawyer for the Native Americans in multiple episodes. [Sundance via press release]

... America's sweetheart Amy Brenneman (Private Practice) will appear on The CW's madcap period piece Reign, playing Marie de Guise, mother of Mary of Scots. Right now she's booked for one episode. [TV Line]

... America's other sweetheart, Katie Couric, is leaving ABC News for... Yahoo!? Couric will take on the no-pressure title of "Global Anchor," meaning if she doesn't do her job well the entire planet will go spinning off into the ether of the universe. This is big get for Yahoo! and an idiotic move for Couric. I give it three months. [All Things D]

... Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now, only the best movie ever made after Deuce Bigalow: American Gigolo) will star in the BBC/Animal Planet movie The Whale. The made-for-cable-TV flick will premiere in December on BBC1 and in summer 2014 on Animal Planet, so either this has already been filmed or it will be total crap. The story is said to be the inspiration for Moby Dick. [Deadline Hollywood]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/5/2015

Season 4 : Episode 22

34 Comments
Comments (47)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Wow! AMC is sure rolling them out! Hope they are up to the usual quality.
Flag
Ugh, how is 2.4 million US viewers a good thing? Yes, it's Saturday morning so that's impresive, but that's less than 1% of viewership potential. Then again, seeing those Atlantis numbers, that's a brutal drop. But Doctor Who deserves better here, and not just because I waited five fucking hours in line for the panel at Comic-Con and didn't even get in, so there damned well better have been more than <1% of the country interested in this fucking show.

Yes! Now I can finally again enjoy ABC Family's quality entertainme-- hey! I don't watch ANY of those shows. You almost got me that time, Tim. But I'll get you back, I'll trick you into watching Franklin & Bash when you least expect it.

"I'd like to give them a Piledriver and an elbow to the face, if you know what I mean" - I don't think we do, elucidate for us. Also, you call "docuseries" garbage but that was already implied by the fact that it is airing on E!. Fun fact: E! is the only network that requires double-punctuation at the end of sentences.!

I was gonna bag on Wilmer "Fez" Valderrama being cast in From Dusk Till Dawn, but he actually was acceptable on Awake. So who is he playing?

Lisa Bonet is not the eldest Cosby daughter, and you should KNOW THAT! Denise's older sister Sondra played by Sabrina Le Beauf (I'll have to check if she's related to Shia LaBeouf, my sources suggest yes) is the eldest Cosby Show daughter, and wars have been started for making mistakes less than that, Tim! Jeez. (And for the internet trifecta, I will now compare something to Hitler. Tim is a male and so was Hitler, you do the math. Bam! You just got 'nett'd©™®.)

Katie Couric, continuing her reverse-Barbara Walters career course, slowly becoming the Benjamin Button of soft news.

Deuce Bigalow was not a bad film to see in theaters, "that's a huge bitch!" from the courtroom gallery just has more gravitas in Dolby surround sound via 15 channels. And that's the only good thing I can say about Martin Sheen starring in a BBC/Animal Planet movie.
More+
Flag
Guess I'm even more glad that All Wes Welker has done is some funny Old Spice commericals and I will keep him on my fantasy team.
Flag
"I think she liked it? I can't tell." - Check out here reviews when you link Tim!

Tim Roth? I'm there!
Flag
If you are talking about the same Atlantis that is already 6 or 7 episodes in... Atlantis isn't about undersea adventures. It's a Hercules: The Legendary Journeys rip-off.
Flag
I dropped out after four episodes. They started it when Merlin had finished so I really looking forward to it. But it fell short of my expectations.
Flag
And a horribly piss-poor one at that from the episodes I've seen. Mark Addy has fallen far from his Game of Thrones role.
Flag
There is no such movie as Deuce Bigalow: American Gigolo.
Flag
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo .... He probably meant that!
Flag
Lisa Bonet? I thought Sondra was the eldest Huxtable kid?
Flag
Cause I'm a Father like soo many others Baby Daddy anyone? Hahahahahaha
Flag
AMC's plans sound interesting – I'd love to see Tim Roth again in a show, seems like it would be a good part for him. But having no word about him in the press release is probably already the end for that option...imdb neither lists anything for him past 2014 or as being in a planning state, so we'll see who ends up robbing graves.
Flag
Has Couric been smelling excessive amounts of mercury lately? Why would anyone who lived through the disastrous career choice of moving to CBS News ever even THINK about going anyplace lower than that? Think about it; she used to be the iconic host of Today and now she's going to be outranked by PewDiePie.
Flag
So, they took a historical figure with the TV-ready action star name of John Hunter and renamed him Tattersal? What's your game, AMC? All of those pilots sound a bit dry, but Tim Roth is cool so mebe I'll check it out.
Flag
Not to be nit-picky, but isn't Sondra (Sabrina LeBeauf) the eldest Cosby kid (not counting the pilot when they mention they only have four kids)?!?!?!
Flag
A+
Flag
Can someone explain to me whatGetting On and Ja'mie: Private School Girl actually are? I read that Getting On is a remake of a british show about people working in a hospital? I have no idea about the other except I guess she's a private school girl? Are either supposed to be good?
Flag
ja'mie: private school girl heres a little preview

Flag
Is it a man? I'm so confused :(
Flag
A Chris Lilley project? I'll definitely watch it now that man is genius.
Flag
JA'MIE: PRIVATE SCHOOL GIRL follows the eponymous school captain during the last few months of her final year of school, far removed from the grounds of Summer Heights High and back on the lush manicured lawns of Hillford Girls Grammar School. Returning to her private school roots, the series highlights the trials and responsibilities that come with being the "most well-known" girl on campus, including her academic and charity work, social life and relationships with family.

GETTING ON: Based on the hit British series, the show is set in the women's extended-care facility of a Long Beach hospital and follows the daily lives of put-upon nurses and doctors as they struggle with the darkly comic realities of caring for the elderly in an overwhelmed healthcare system. Laurie Metcalf, Alex Borstein, Niecy Nash and Mel Rodriguez star.
Flag
I want to watch both those shows right meow.
Flag
Well there goes my desire to watch From Dusk Till Dawn.
Flag
Valderrama was ok in "Awake".
Flag
I didn't watch "Awake" he was part of the reason. The other part was I couldn't get past the pilot.
Flag
He's not great or anything, but he was passable there, and the show was pretty good overall.
Flag
I'm still gonna give it a chance. Rodriquez knows how to take awful actors and celebrities and make them fit into cheesy, gory, good-fun films.
Flag
True, I still might catch it. But him being added certainly lessens the desire to watch it.
Flag
As others have previous said, his part on Awake was pretty good, and his ability to make fun of himself repeatedly on Raising Hope wasn't too bad either. Sadly, That 70's Show and the "caricature" he played on it will likely forever be engraved in our minds and further our prejudices against him.
Flag
didn't don johnson do that already? lol
Flag
Not as much as Valderama. Hasn't Johnson had a couple of moderately successful shows in the past, where he was the star of the show? Valderama was a caricature on a mediocre sitcom that lasted way too long.
Flag
Don't get me wrong, Johnson has had success, but as a talented actor, I laugh, cause he is not. But i liked the first From Dusk til Dawn movie and it was goofy and badly acted really, but entertaining, the sequels i could care less about. I just look at some stuff and say, this should not be a tv show and considering the actors involved, I like Robert Patrick, but just not what i would call great.
Flag
You have a point. Clearly Rodriguez isn't going for the greatest actors. It likely will be very enjoyable. What it has going for it is it is a Vampire story where the A. aren't sparkling B. aren't inexplicably obsessed with a girl named Sookie. or Bella. C. Aren't centuries old teenagers that still for some reason hang out with teenagers because that makes sense.

I enjoyed the movie and will give this a chance. But Valderama tends to grate on me.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members