Memphis Beat Forums

TNT (ended 2011)

Memphis Beat

nolefan32

[1]May 23, 2010
    • level: 11

I've been seeing the promos for Memphis Beat, and I'm convinced it's a show produced by Hollywood types who've maybe heard Memphis mentioned once on a TV song or a Carl Perkins song, but who have never been here or bothered to even look us up in Wikipedia. "Memphis County" (or so it says on the badge on their website). The city of Memphis may be growing like the Borg and trying to take over all of Shelby County, but it hasn't happened yet, and as long as there remain other incorporated towns in the county like Millington, Bartlett and Germantown, it will be a very long time before it does become "Memphis County".

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

caseyph

[2]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 2

Who gives a SH*T if it's "Memphis County?"

aktarian

[4]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 5

It looks interesting. Has potential. But with 3 cop shows premiering practically back-to-back (this one, The Good Guys and Rookie Blue) I doubt all three wil make it to season 2.

uforock

[5]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 7
    love the atmosphere, even though the plot is a bit predictable. interested to see more of DJ Quall's character.

Yaspaa

[6]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 79
    nolefan32 wrote:

I've been seeing the promos for Memphis Beat, and I'm convinced it's a show produced by Hollywood types who've maybe heard Memphis mentioned once on a TV song or a Carl Perkins song, but who have never been here or bothered to even look us up in Wikipedia. "Memphis County" (or so it says on the badge on their website). The city of Memphis may be growing like the Borg and trying to take over all of Shelby County, but it hasn't happened yet, and as long as there remain other incorporated towns in the county like Millington, Bartlett and Germantown, it will be a very long time before it does become "Memphis County".

Maybe it's a alternate dimension Memphis. If not, the details should have been sorted out.

tryptz

[7]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 13

Just finished watching the Pilot for this show, I was totally unimpressed(and hell i dont ever wanna go to Memphis! what a dump!)

the show for a first epi was disappointing, no depth acting was just okay ,The lead actor has a weak chin.

dont see this show lasting if they dont step it up. couldnt stay till the end.

verdict: very weak substitute for Justified.....and that weak chin( i hate a tough guy type with a weak chin)

Edited on 07/01/2010 8:25pm

dfm1981

[8]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 1

The show is filmed in New Orleans! My daughter lives in Algiers (a part of New Orleans directly across the river from the French Quarter) and they were filming down her street when she came home one night.

I have also recognized New Orleans landmarks in the background,specially when they do shots on a roof. They do use some establishing shots of the GTO driving around in Memphis as scenes begin, but then the actual action is shot in New Orleans. Tonight I recognized the Hibernia Bank tower (now Capital One Bank) lit up in the background in the opening scene.

New Orleans is becoming popular for movies and TV series since the development of a production infrastructure in the area. Several studios, sound stages and post-production facilities have opened and make production easy. In the past, movies that were made here were usually about the city or state but now New Orleans and Louisiana stand in for other areas.

haldrey

[9]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 22
    I am liking this music and (light) police work combination. The show might be a keeper.

joenamherst

[10]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 5

Of course 'Memphis Beat'' will be back next year. All cable series run at least two years. After all, that trainwreck of a show 'Hawthorne' came back for a second season.....and it sucks!

Placebo_obecalP

[11]Jul 26, 2010
    • level: 13
    Wife and I like it a lot, fun little show and Jason Lee is awesome in it The Good Guys is a very different show so I don't see any conflict there, haven't watched Rookie Blue yet but again it seems to be quite different from the premise.

honorablechoice

[12]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 3

How in the hell is this show still on the air? A second season? You've got to be kidding me.. I'm watching the pilot.. I can't help but say over and over again how bad the acting is.. Both the writers and the show need to be going back to school.. The main star had this show on the comedy channel.. I forget the name as I never really felt the need to watch much of it.. But wow.. His acting is even worse in this, if that is possible.. At least with the comedy channel show, such a thing was to be expected because of it being.. Well.. On the comedy channel.. But wow.. Yeah.. Nobody can do a propper accent, nobody can act.. That captain or w/e.. I forget her name.. But his boss.. I remember her to be a good actor.. But she must be drinking the kool aid or something.. Cause the're draggin her down.. How is it that shows like this get second seasons when really great shows get canceled off.. there are WAY WAY to many law enforcement/lawyer/cop shows and reality TV on television these days.. 90% crap with a few ones being unique enough to watch.. And this show falls into the crap category.. Enough said..

SuziHB

[13]Jun 19, 2011
    • level: 7

Just discovered this show and I love it. Loving the music and a look at parts of Memphis, me as an Australian, will not get to see otherwise.

Edited on 06/19/2011 3:15am

haldrey

[14]Jul 15, 2011
    'The Things We Carry' the July 13 episode was just awesome, the best one ever and the reason why this show is one of my favorites.

mattgus

[15]Aug 2, 2011
    • level: 14
    i watch it after recording it. it is ok. not great in my book. tonites ep about the bank scam actually held my attention,but come on when was the last time a bank really cared about it's customers and a police officer took care of a hamster...maybe on "leave it to beaver",but not even then. i wish...oddly it was nice to live in the fantasy of that kind of world. i wish people were like that!

haldrey

[16]Aug 5, 2011
    Those things that might be rare or impossible is why I like this show, I mean on top of the music.

haldrey

[17]Aug 20, 2011
    The season ended they way I like it, with a superb episode and without a cliffhanger.

SuzieQ1972

[18]Aug 24, 2011
    • level: 3

It's filmed in Louisiana!