Men in Trees

ABC (ended 2008)

layle1

Men in Trees Fan Reviews page 2 of 5

• This show reminds me of my two favorite shows in one!

Sex in the City meets Northern Exposure indeed! The characters are so much fun and so quirky. This cast, led by the aways marvelous Anne Heche, is just a joy to watch every week. Elmo is that fictional town that has a real place in each fan's heart. I never miss it. Or, should I say, I never miss it when I can find it on television.

The only problem that I have with the show is it's home network, ABC, who won't keep it in one place long enough for it to find it's legs. Now they aren't airing any reruns at all and I am waiting for the new shows to begin at the end of February. Until then I will be waiting patiently. Thank the lord for DVRs!!
  • One of the best shows on TV!!

This show is so under-rated! The characters are rich, the stories are compelling, the cast is fresh and the performances are always compelling! It's been through a lot of scheduling changes, but I stick with them! Why? Because every night is a good night to visit with the folks in Elmo! Now it seems that the fans are fighting to save the Men in Trees! Let's help get the word out about this GEM of a show!! Go to the show's message board at ABC.COM to find out what loyal Treehuggers are doing to make sure Men in Trees stays on the air!!

Are you a TreeHugger? If the answer is "ont yet" - do yourself a favor and watch this show. You'll be hooked in no time!
  • Men in Trees - a show for the adult who truly enjoys entertainment without the unneccessary trash that belongs on a late night cable station. It's easy to fall into the heart of this show and understand where the characters are coming from.

This is a rare find amidst such garbage that is on the television these days. Men in Trees offers a very well written story along with a superb cast! It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. When I first started to watch the show, I didn't know most of the actors/actresses involved. But, as I continued to watch each week, (or whenever it was on) I fell in love with each and every character involved. This is the kind of show you want to watch with your feet up, warm drink in hand and lights turned down low. Cheers!
  • The show is a bit like Nothern Exposure in a way but this time the main character is a strong East Coast woman. It is good but not great.

It took a little getting used to but not I LOVE this show. As soon as I think something was going to happen it didn't which made me want to watch more. This season has had a lot of great stories but the one with Patrick has me a little weirded out. I know where they are going with the story but it just makes me depressed and sad. I would have to say it is a guilty pleasure but it's not something I have to watch. I TIVO it and then watch it when I get a chance which can't be a great thing for the show.
  • A good, entertaining show.

This is not the kind of show that I would normally watch (aka chick flick). However, I'm a big Anne fan and really enjoy watching her wit on the screen. This is a good solid cast and I'm glad it was picked up for another season. This could be around for many years to come if the plots stay fresh and the story line doesn't deviate too much from the original premise. The humor and sensitivity is a great appeal; and I believe could be exploited as the characters evole over the series. Don't bring in too many new cast memeber; and old ones, if your listening; don't pull a Mandy on us...
  • Almost like Ally McBeal... only in the woods.

I think this show is a dumpyard for failed actors... who where quite good back in the days... This show has its moments, and is sometimes even touching... but its just another of those shows... you know... insignificant. The chars are ok, the situations are funny, and every now and then there actually is an episode you could watch without checking the clock! In my opinion this is classic chicks-TV... as a male I can say, there are far worse TV-shows to watch with your girl-friend... so if she is into men in trees... you can consider yourself quite lucky...
  • Men In Trees is one of my most favorite TV shows.

I absolutely love this show. Story content is always twisting and surprising, but I mainly love the characters and the setting. Who would of thought that Alaska would be a great setting for a show, but the scenery is absolutely breath taking even if you did not like the content! But I do love the content. Put it altogether and I cannot miss an episode. I did not think it would be a show that would interest me when I read what it was all about, but when I actually saw an episode I fell in love with it. And Jack isn't too hard to look at either! :0)
  • love the characters in this show, marian and the rest from the people in the bar to the police and all of the different family stuctures. are great.,

I miss seeing this show. and cannot wait for its return
    the show has a great appeal to me it shows women can live anywhere and men love us no matter where we are and i love the way the story lines go. with fun and issues at the same time its not only humor and problems but seeing co mingling in a different way than a pure city living... the show makes me laugh and feel good all the time...
    its refreshing and I just love it... love the city and country... and the sites of nature are so beautiful whereever its film.... thanks for letting me share a little view...
  • okay, not fantastic

Men in Trees triggers a shrug-and-blush response: Women tend to follow a declaration of love for the ABC dramedy with a dismissive ''It's a guilty pleasure.'' Well, stop it. No one should feel guilty about enjoying this smartly written, sunny-sweet show. Plus, it's nearly impossible to resist. If Ally McBeal jabbed at women's insecurities (biological clocks, flibbertigibbetism), and Sex and the City captured women's realities (thriving careers, hungover brunches), Men in Trees is now offering up the lushest postfeminist fairy tale on TV.

Relationship expert Marin Frist (a reassuringly uncrazy Anne Heche) discovers her fiancé is cheating and retreats to tiny Elmo, Alaska. There, she gets to have it all. She sports a series of adorable hats in a soothing, bucolic setting while landing a book excerpt in The New Yorker (big-city publishing careers needn't be scotched just because you live in a place so remote that cell phones are novel). But it's the men in Trees that make this little fantasy so au courant. These Alaskan guys are old-school, which is very new-school. They're not hyper-verbal, super-emo boys. They're men's men. Or so we are often told. The wonderfully sneaky thing is that they're men's men...designed by women (creator Jenny Bicks, a Sex and the City alum, has updated Big, transferred him to the tundra, and given him a lumberjack shirt).

Marin's love interest, the comely Jack (the comely James Tupper), is Elmo's man of fewest words: He's pretty, a biologist, likes animals, and he lets her do all the talking. He also has had his heart broken. This is a prerequisite for males in Elmo, where women are absolutely in charge. Bartender Theresa (Sarah Strange) dumped sweet husband Ben (ER's Abraham Benrubi), and recently picked him up again like an old pair of socks. Marin's Manhattan-based editor (Seana Kofoed) had a fling with an Alaskan hottie, whom she quickly hustled off post-satisfaction. Elmo's Sheriff Celia (Cynthia Stevenson) is yet another man's object of affection (good God, these guys can dote!), but she's so noncommittal, her last name is actually Bachelor. Even the town hooker is picky.
  • Another love triangle driven tv show!

Another guitly pleasure show that I rarely will reveal to others that I watch this show. It is aimed for girls and woman with an entirely chick flick setting -- which is totally my guilty pleasure.

The storyline is cliche and obvious, but the acting is not bad enough to be a turn off. The two main characters again go through trials and trials before (maybe and hopefully) getting together in the end. The tension is definitely there, enough to even spark an off-screen romance between the two.

The exciting part will be waiting for the two to get together in the end, after that storyline is complete, I hope the series will end because it will be a very boring show.
  • Men In Trees is one of the best shows to come along in years. It's my favorite show. So was Invasion and you did the same thing with it. While I was anxiously awaiting the next show, all of a sudden it was gone. Not even the courtesy of a forewarning.

I love this show and think it's terrible there is no consideration for the viewers. You waste two hours a week RE-AIRING Lost and Greys Anatomy (I love both shows but I don't need to see them twice) when you could be showing Men in Trees.....Why?!!! You put a stupid show like Notes From The Underbelly on and take off a Great shows like MIT and Invasion. October Road is also a great show but you didn't have to take off MIT!!!
    Where is the logic? You Obviously don't care what the public wants! Why don't you ask us?!!!!!
  • I trully do not know what ABC thinks. It is not just this show it is others also. They introduce us to shows get us hocked then "BAM" the show is gone. I"m still trying to figure out why they changed the show from WED-THUR.Why put it on after Gray's.

The show itself is great I love it. I trully hope they bring it back. I really hope they do not keep it on Thurs. though I liked it better on Wed. I'm a stay at home mom and it gave me more then thurs.to look forward to. ABC really sucks for doing what they do. I mean if you are bringing the show back tell people when, and if you are not going to the tell people why.I mean why would you put Three shows all in one evening? It should be back on WED at 9:00 don't they realize that people have to work and are not going to stay up till 11:00.
  • Bad choise.

Just what we need a show trying to push old stereotype that women and men are DIFFERENT (aka. from other planets). Are they trying to set back the women's movement a decade? This show is so anti-feminist!

This show is insulting and revolting with its weak pathetic man-hungry desperate women chasing after MACHO mountain men!

And the false old fashioned stereotypes it keeps trying to push are so tired and awful. All women are obsessed with fashion & shoes (especially expensive designer heels...even in the wilderness).... they really want a macho (read: DOMINANT) man....they're obsessed with making babies etc. Or men that hate the arts, drink nothing but beer, wear only flannel and are crude/afraid to hug and tell each other constantly to "man up".

In an episode that must've come straight from the 50's - there was actually an episode that revolved around how men "should be men" and financially provide for a relationship. I mean seriously the idea that a man has to provide all the money... that's still a dramatic plot??

Another episode decided to explore the "differences" between men & women - and they seemed to think we'd find it so strange and funny if women did "men's" work (but failed at it & need to be rescued) and men (gasp!) used moisturizer (and got mocked for it). This episode had Marin the girle girl "behaving like a man" - in which she hung out at the bar and learned to watch sports and even have a 1-night stand. Of course she's then shown as emotionally unable to stick to her plan and obsessively checks her phone for a call despite the rational conversation of the night before.

Though I hate the main character, I like some of the side characters so I keep trying to watch it every once in a while and I'm just constantly disappointed by the show's perpetuation of gender role myths and stereotypes! Seriously, join the rest of us in this century. Most women I know love our sensitive, metrosexual and/ or feminist men who are comfortable just being themselves - not clinging to outdated gender roles! Women and men are more similar than they are different - try embracing that concept instead of setting up alienating binaries.

p.s. I do like that they included a positive portrayal of a prostitute. (though of course she had to give it up). I gave the show a star just for that!
  • Love, love this show. Never know what will happen to Marin next! The deep feelings of Marin and the wisdom she has is always a good story line. Why oh why did you take it off!!! Seems to me ABC you always take all my good shows off.

Marin, where are you???? Can't believe it was taken off!!! What is the reason behind this when so many loved you? Loved the interaction between Marin and Jack and the way Marin handled his relationship with "the other pregnant woman!" Always has wisdom advise for someone and something and can't imagine living in Alaska. Plow guy is one hell of a guy! Imagine being with someone so laid back and loving??? Jack is one sexy hunk! Needs to know the one who truly loves him. All characters are really great but Jack and Marin are the heroes...come back quick please.
  • I just love this show and can't wait to see what happens next so i am crossing my fingers that it is not cancelled plz plz plz

Absolutely amazing show i just cant get enough and ever since it stopped i can't stop hoping and checking every thursday at 10:00 to see if maybe possibly its back. But no luck very upseting. Can someone please tell the producers to write a new fricking episode already seriously what are you waiting for anyways i hope they didnt cancel it because i will be very upset. I just love Marin her and Jack should be together. Lynn comes back after leaving jack for so long pregnant the lil hoochie and he takes her back like nothing its not right. He loves both women but Marin is better for him.
  • I think they should keep men in trees it is a very good show they can't just get us hooked on it and then take it away.

Men in trees is a very good show so I hope it runs its course till they can no longer make story lines for it. So far October Road is also good but they are going to have to figure out how to run all the shows I wait for Thursday nights all week waiting on my favorite shows I can hardly wait to see what happens next on Ugly Betty,Grey's Anatomy-very favorite show,Men In Trees.And tuesday nights another favorite Boston Legal very good.They better not ever get rid of Grey's Anatomy it is the best show out of all of them,if seventh heaven can last this many years another favorite of mine than I know these shows should last almost that long.So I guess that's all my input please don't get rid of our favorite shows.KEEP MEN IN TREES!!!
  • Men in Trees is my Thursday night standby. It is truly the best show on TV right now.

Jack is a complex twist between a lumber-jack and a feminist. He is any small town guy, a little naive and sensitive, and very confused about what he wants and how to go about getting it. Merin's tear between being a writer true to her emotions and the reality of her situations and a woman who often becomes disillusioned is a wonderful mix. Her faults are endearing, her strengths are not overplayed. This show is truly one that you shouldn't miss each week. (And I miss it greatly now that it has been put on a 6 week hiatous by the stupid show October Road)I identify with Merin's character and trust her as an actress able to stay with this character and grow throughout the episodes. Jack's character is not stereotypical, yet it is familiar so there is not too much of a disparity between "real" relationships and the ones portrayed in this show. The subordinate characters and their relationships are equally interesting and complesx. This is one of the only show that pays attention to subplots and developes them in ways that create a round world, rather than a flat unreality. This is one of the few shows that I look forward to each week. I wish that it had just been moved to a different day rather than pushed aside for a few weeks by October Road (which seems as though it cannot sustain itself with realistic situations and conflicts as Men in Trees does).
  • :))))I love It

I love this show..so do my friends:))We are from Poland.. When next episod will be broadcast:((((????when when when:(((???sorry for grammar if it's bad:)we love this show couse every single person has something good inside and is creazy in his own way. Men in trees is funny, smart,light and touching:)
    cheers
    sylwia
  • I love this show. It is refreshing to see a show that does not revolve around cops, hospitals and reality shows, very boring. You need to put this show in a better time slot like 9PM at the latest. Stop putting other shows in its place!!!

This show is great, new and refreshing. I will not watch any other show and when I see that you have put a pilot in its place, I am very disappointed. We have enough medical, game shows, trump shows, reality shows, cops shows, idol shows, etc. This show was about real life and had great comedy to it and drama as well. Put it in a better time slot 8 or 9 pm on Wednesday nites ... there is nothing to watch on Wednesdays or Tuesdays for that matter. Change its day and time please. If it gets cancelled I want to cancel your channel.
    Really a great show .... please bring it back!!!!!!!!
  • Men in Trees is right for the time! I love the characters, it seems Alaska is as much a 'character' in the show as the actors.

I personally can apprecicate the show since I moved from a large California city to a small Colorado town! :) So I appreciate the dicohtomy of the settings. I recommend this show to all my friends and I absolutely love that I can view the show anytime on ABC.com -- I just wish they would have all the episodes online -- but maybe that will happen in the future.
  • I absolutely do not like this show!

I absolutely do not like this show! I am really sorry to the fans of this show out there but I just find this show to be not that good at all! I watched one episode of this show and I was just extremely appalled by how bad it was! This show centers around a girl surrounded by a bunch of guys who want her which I just don't get because she isn't the most beautiful girl ever and I just don't like the whole premises of this show! I really hope that this show could get off the air because every time I watch the show before that I have to be exposed to this shows badness. Again sorry for all the fans out here!
    Oh man, I love this show! I don't watch a lot of tv, but I never miss this one. It's warm and comfortable, I love to cozy up with a glass of wine and soak it in. It has an amazing cast of characters, the kind where you just wish you could hang out with them (especially Jack ;-)). Not action packed, just sweet, funny, and addictive. Did I say that I love this show??
  • This is the best TV show on at this time. Great Acting by all. It has drama, little sadness, its funny. Just a mixture of all things keeps you guessing whats going to happen next. Rate it a "10"

This is absolutely my most favorite show on TV. I look forward to watching it every week and can't wait until the next episode. I feel all the emotions of everyone in the show. It funny, it's sad, there's drama. Just keeps me going and wondering "what's next". Thanks for a great TV show.
  • Smart, Sweet, and Irresistible.

A census survey recently revealed that a majority of women (51%) are living without a husband. Men in Trees, then, is the perfect drama for 2007: a scenario in which ladies are alone because they want to be — and when they don't want to be, there are a half dozen sensitive-yet-manly dudes waiting to listen to them attentively, and then have great sex with them. Or even just wash their hair. Hmmm...maybe we should feel a little guilty.
  • Fun show, guilty pleasure.

This is a fun show that I hope ABC will extend to a full season and then renew.

Unlike many of ABC's shows, this one has no skeletons in the closet and mysteries waiting to be unravelled. All is in the open, straight out. So rather than relying on the mysteries to drive interest in each episode of Lost, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, etc etc, each episode of Men In Trees entertains for the sheer quality of the writing and situations.

I love Anne Heche and she is absolutely brilliant in this show. And they have managed to put together a good amiable and capable cast around her. The scenery's pretty good too, it's nice to have a show in a more natural setting - I guess Lost sometimes qualifies for that too.
  • Anne Heche is perfect in this role and with a cast of unique, talented character actors. The only flaw is the addition of Justine Bateman and the narration by Marin can get sappy for those of you who are not goodhearted in nature.

Anne Heche is perfect in this role and with a unique cast of character actors to fill out the the townspeople. The actress who plays Annie is a jewel as well as the actor who plays her boyfriend/fiance. James Tupper is the perfect foil for Marin's beguiling charms. The only flaw is the recent addition of Justine Bateman whose annoying traits from her younger days grates on the nerves.
  • You shouldn't miss it!!Fresh, funny and sensitive all in one.

Even though it remembers a little bit of Northern Exposure when you watch some situations of the story, i find it fresh because of the characters in the show, subtle funny (not in an easy way), and sensitive, because I think we all can fins ourselves in that show.
    I really enjoy watching it, ans I have missed it a lot this past holidays, because I think it helps to see life in other way, it helps think changes are possible, and they can be good.
    I love how Anne Heche plays her part, and I like almost all the other characters, even though I think my favourite is Abraham Benrubi.
    Don´t miss it!!!!
  • What no moose in Alaska? Oh no that's in Canada right?

At first I thought, 'Oh no it's Ann Heche...wasn't she that lesbian who dated...?'. However, now i'm like, 'What a beautifully gifted actress, who cares who she dated or didn't date, because she is such a great talent'.

This show has captivated me from day one. I love the fact that they took a city girl and plonked her slap bang, in the middle of a reclusive, quirky town, 'in the middle of nowhere' Alaska! I mean really, how remote can you get, than a town that is virtually unreachable, save a plane's ride in any direction?

What makes the series even greater is the menagarie of weird and wonderful characters that reside in that sleepy town. Each has a bagful of problems of their own, and yet they seem so welcoming that you would never want to leave. The cast is undoubtedly perfect in each role. I feel the actor playing the Jack role is the best of the bunch, he seems to play that character so effortlessly, and yet it must be hard to play such a discerning, shy reclusive Jack.

One of my favourite episodes was when Ben, the bar proprieter and barman, found he couldn't get rid of a moose that had wondered into his bar; he then got served a fine by the local sheriff for keeping a wild animal. I mean how weird is that? That would never ever happen where I am, well most certainly not since we don't have moose. So it seems Alaska does have moose after all!

Like others, I have wonder how the show will last past the first series, as most shows go down hill once the love interest between the main characters, in this case between Jack and Marin, has been realised. However, it wouldn't suprise me if it did, because there is a lot more scope left in other characters and I have a lot of faith in the writers of this show to pull out many more twists and turns to keep this show alive.

If you haven't watched the show, trust me, it's a lot better than it first appears from it's description. It almost reminds me of Cheers; I hope i'm not showing my age here? Go on watch it, you most certainly won't be dissapointed!!!
  • Just wanted to let the Men In Trees and all the cast how I truly enjoy the show. Have been watching it since it aired and I hope it picks up next year. The story line is great with each and all the crew who star in it. Ann was a perfect fit.

Just wanted the cast of Men In Trees know I truly enjoy watching. Have been since it first aired. Its fresh, new, different. The story line and the setup and the location couldn't be any better. Just love everything about it. I'm sure every woman has fallen with Jack. The most I love about it is that Ann H. plays a writer. I find this and her charactor so like me. Please keep this one on the air, it works.
  • Men In Trees is the best show on TV today. I don't like the Fact that Jack is back with Lynn. But won't miss a show!!! Thanks ABC, you made the right move!!

I hope Jack finally realized you can't go backwards. Lynn has to go!!!
    I am glad you brought her in, but I wish Jack would get it together. Helen said is best. You just lost the best thing in your life. I am a home run, and she can hit it out of the park. This is a clean refreshing program, they type you never want to end. It is the fastest hour of the week. I make sure I am home every Thursday, to see Men In Trees. It is cute, sweet, hits a home run every time Love it
1 2 3 4 5