Men in Trees

ABC (ended 2008)

layle1

Men in Trees Fan Reviews (123)

• I absolutely do not like this show!

I absolutely do not like this show! I am really sorry to the fans of this show out there but I just find this show to be not that good at all! I watched one episode of this show and I was just extremely appalled by how bad it was! This show centers around a girl surrounded by a bunch of guys who want her which I just don't get because she isn't the most beautiful girl ever and I just don't like the whole premises of this show! I really hope that this show could get off the air because every time I watch the show before that I have to be exposed to this shows badness. Again sorry for all the fans out here!
  • I'm very disappointed...

When I watched this TV show, all I could think about was Dr. Fleischman from Northern Exposure. This is a total rip off of one of my favorite TV shows in the 1990\'s. Northern Exposure at least had well-defined characters with a purpose. Anne Heche is a spoiled New Yorker who can\'t manage to live in Alaska (see the comparison). Men in Trees even has a radio DJ who sounds exactly like John Corbett (Chris) from Northern Exposure. The most recent episode of Men in Trees had a town meeting where the residents of Alaska could complain about things...again mirror image. I'm very disappointed.
  • Crap.

I never understood why Anne got into acting as this show proves that she cant act for her life. A horrible show that ABC has presented us with hoping that we dont mind turning off our brains for. Why they think this is worth anyones time is beyond me. Once again ABC has it wrong and I predict this will go the way every other program of their'does. Cancellation.
  • how they ripped you off.

cast:
    Anne Heche plays reluctant out-of-towner Joel Fleishman
    James Tupper plays will-they-wont-they love interest Maggie O'Connell
    Derek Richardson plays lovable simpleton Ed Chigliak
    Abraham Benrubi plays friendly-barman-in-a-dysfunctional-relationship Holling Vincoeur etc etc.

this show is a blatant rip off of Northern Exposure. you can throw some Sex and the City in there for good measure, but this show is 100% rip off. there's nothing new in there at all.
    the only reason to keep watching this show is to find out whose basement all the women are buried in.

don't waste your time, this was all done 15 years ago with a far more likeable cast and far more interesting characters.
  • Who thought this was a good idea?

3.3
    Men in Trees, even the name of the show sounds sketchy but for the sake of entertainment I let it go and watched a couple of episodes. Men in Trees let me down! I was expecting rustic little town, maybe a little romance,a town idiot and a few laughs in between - I got a whole lot more than that. It projects an image that is so far from the truth, I can't believe it carried on for so long! I'm glad this show got pulled - sometimes I think networks like ABC just pull names out of a bag and produce sitcoms in the dark with no clear indication of where its going. Its pathetic! Its sad and it should have never been on tv.
  • Why ABC even bother to give this show a big lead-in!

Sex and the City is a huge success, ever since it ended, lots of show has been coming out trying to capture the eyes of those viewers. But none of them succeeded. Last year's Emily's Reasons Why Not should teach us something, that poor show didn't even get to the second episode. But unfortunately, ABC will never learn. ABC doesn't want to lose the female viewers that was attracted by Desperate Housewives, so it keeps developing more and more chick flick shows. I say it's time to move on already!
    Back to the show, I'll start with the things I like about the show. Anne Heche did a fantastic job on the show, she was witty and funny, she was the center of the show. However, the strength is also its weakness. It focused too much on Anne Heche, other characters seemed pale and dispensable. Even worse, I don't really know what Anne Heche had anything to do with other characters. And plus, it didn't make me wanna watch another episode, there was nothing in the show that could grab your attention.
  • Chick shtick, painful for men to watch.

4.5
    The title Men in Trees would lead one to presume it was about men, but in fact, it\'s about women. It\'s a date flick on a TV screen. It\'s tolerable for men who are placating their womenfolk. But it is really all about feelings - women\'s feelings. The male characters don\'t even have dialog that makes sense for males. The writers have the males spout female chatter, and hope we don\'t notice.

It would be unfair to compare MiT with Northern Exposure. Though both are situated in TV \"Alaska\", the gulf between the two is immense.

Quirky characters are not enough to sell this series. I suspect that this will not last the season.
  • I forced myself to watch this show.

5.6
    I really don't like this show. When I first saw the commercial I was interested especially when I heard it was gonna be a combination between Everwood and SATC. I've never really liked SATC but I am a big Everwood fan. That's where I have first seen Anne Heche, she gueststarred in Everwood not that she was great there but still I wanted to give it a shot. It was very boring. And I realised that I was forcing myself to watch this. And that's not how a show should be. You should try to hate it but... you can't. I remember when I tried to hate Grey's Anatomy (because where I live Desperate housewives was replaced by Grey's anatomy) but I couldn't. So if I have to force myself to watch a show, that is not a good sign. Anyway I watched and I was really bored and I thought that the characters where really annoying... So no this is not a good show for me.
  • Bad choise.

Just what we need a show trying to push old stereotype that women and men are DIFFERENT (aka. from other planets). Are they trying to set back the women's movement a decade? This show is so anti-feminist!

This show is insulting and revolting with its weak pathetic man-hungry desperate women chasing after MACHO mountain men!

And the false old fashioned stereotypes it keeps trying to push are so tired and awful. All women are obsessed with fashion & shoes (especially expensive designer heels...even in the wilderness).... they really want a macho (read: DOMINANT) man....they're obsessed with making babies etc. Or men that hate the arts, drink nothing but beer, wear only flannel and are crude/afraid to hug and tell each other constantly to "man up".

In an episode that must've come straight from the 50's - there was actually an episode that revolved around how men "should be men" and financially provide for a relationship. I mean seriously the idea that a man has to provide all the money... that's still a dramatic plot??

Another episode decided to explore the "differences" between men & women - and they seemed to think we'd find it so strange and funny if women did "men's" work (but failed at it & need to be rescued) and men (gasp!) used moisturizer (and got mocked for it). This episode had Marin the girle girl "behaving like a man" - in which she hung out at the bar and learned to watch sports and even have a 1-night stand. Of course she's then shown as emotionally unable to stick to her plan and obsessively checks her phone for a call despite the rational conversation of the night before.

Though I hate the main character, I like some of the side characters so I keep trying to watch it every once in a while and I'm just constantly disappointed by the show's perpetuation of gender role myths and stereotypes! Seriously, join the rest of us in this century. Most women I know love our sensitive, metrosexual and/ or feminist men who are comfortable just being themselves - not clinging to outdated gender roles! Women and men are more similar than they are different - try embracing that concept instead of setting up alienating binaries.

p.s. I do like that they included a positive portrayal of a prostitute. (though of course she had to give it up). I gave the show a star just for that!
  • This show is cute, but not overly interesting. Sort of Sex and the City meets Northern Exposure. If it wasn\'t for the hotness of Jack I wouldn\'t watch.

I\'m not a fan of Anne Heche. She\'s funny, but there is a HUGE cloud of insincerity around her in every role I\'ve ever seen her play. Sometimes, like in Wag the Dog, it works for her character, but her characters don\'t ring true to me, and even in a comedy, ESPECIALLY in a comedy, there has to be an element of truth or how are you supposed to identify with her? Well, you can\'t.

The other actors are fine, with John Amos playing is usually understated best (I\'ve never seen this guy NOT be realistic) and of course the fellow that plays Jack just burns up the screen. Unfortunately, this show needs mroe than that and I have noticed the tweaking of the show from episode to episode. I\'d like to see the show succeed, but i don\'t know how likely that is at this point.
  • Almost like Ally McBeal... only in the woods.

I think this show is a dumpyard for failed actors... who where quite good back in the days... This show has its moments, and is sometimes even touching... but its just another of those shows... you know... insignificant. The chars are ok, the situations are funny, and every now and then there actually is an episode you could watch without checking the clock! In my opinion this is classic chicks-TV... as a male I can say, there are far worse TV-shows to watch with your girl-friend... so if she is into men in trees... you can consider yourself quite lucky...
  • Fun show, guilty pleasure.

This is a fun show that I hope ABC will extend to a full season and then renew.

Unlike many of ABC's shows, this one has no skeletons in the closet and mysteries waiting to be unravelled. All is in the open, straight out. So rather than relying on the mysteries to drive interest in each episode of Lost, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, etc etc, each episode of Men In Trees entertains for the sheer quality of the writing and situations.

I love Anne Heche and she is absolutely brilliant in this show. And they have managed to put together a good amiable and capable cast around her. The scenery's pretty good too, it's nice to have a show in a more natural setting - I guess Lost sometimes qualifies for that too.
  • I want to like it, but I\'m unable

Why cast Anne Heche in the lead of anything? While she\'s at that similar Carrie Bradshaw age, and not so beautiful that we 20 and 30 something women of America won\'t hate her, we just can\'t relate to her. Did we forget what a horrible b i t c h she was to Ellen Degeneres, who now has a hugely successful day time show, by the way? She\'s cold and unapproachable.

It\'s a real shame because Jenny Bicks is a great writer. I saw her short film and I was unimpressed but I\'m continually blown away by her writing of original characters and dialog.

Some of the characters here seem totally dumbed down for mainstream America. Somehow Sex and the City managed to be a cheesy soap opera that wasn\'t cheesy. There is so much about this series that reminds me of SATC but it just misses the mark in acting, lighting, or tone. As my directing teacher in film school once told me, \"Tone is a slippery pig.\"
  • A woman comes to Alaska to make a speech and stays there.

7.2
    Anyone think it has the "feel" of "Northern Exposure"? Hear the guy (like Chris) talking in the morning as the town wakes up, someone (like the doctor) comes from New York not expecting what they find in an Alasken Town. That show was a classic. Copy the idea? You tell me. Not sure it will be able to compete with the Interesting ghosts on CBS? But it does have promise. Cute moments. I will watch it for awhile.
    Anyone know where I have seen the bar tender?
  • okay, not fantastic

Men in Trees triggers a shrug-and-blush response: Women tend to follow a declaration of love for the ABC dramedy with a dismissive ''It's a guilty pleasure.'' Well, stop it. No one should feel guilty about enjoying this smartly written, sunny-sweet show. Plus, it's nearly impossible to resist. If Ally McBeal jabbed at women's insecurities (biological clocks, flibbertigibbetism), and Sex and the City captured women's realities (thriving careers, hungover brunches), Men in Trees is now offering up the lushest postfeminist fairy tale on TV.

Relationship expert Marin Frist (a reassuringly uncrazy Anne Heche) discovers her fiancé is cheating and retreats to tiny Elmo, Alaska. There, she gets to have it all. She sports a series of adorable hats in a soothing, bucolic setting while landing a book excerpt in The New Yorker (big-city publishing careers needn't be scotched just because you live in a place so remote that cell phones are novel). But it's the men in Trees that make this little fantasy so au courant. These Alaskan guys are old-school, which is very new-school. They're not hyper-verbal, super-emo boys. They're men's men. Or so we are often told. The wonderfully sneaky thing is that they're men's men...designed by women (creator Jenny Bicks, a Sex and the City alum, has updated Big, transferred him to the tundra, and given him a lumberjack shirt).

Marin's love interest, the comely Jack (the comely James Tupper), is Elmo's man of fewest words: He's pretty, a biologist, likes animals, and he lets her do all the talking. He also has had his heart broken. This is a prerequisite for males in Elmo, where women are absolutely in charge. Bartender Theresa (Sarah Strange) dumped sweet husband Ben (ER's Abraham Benrubi), and recently picked him up again like an old pair of socks. Marin's Manhattan-based editor (Seana Kofoed) had a fling with an Alaskan hottie, whom she quickly hustled off post-satisfaction. Elmo's Sheriff Celia (Cynthia Stevenson) is yet another man's object of affection (good God, these guys can dote!), but she's so noncommittal, her last name is actually Bachelor. Even the town hooker is picky.
  • Another one bites the dust...

Another one bites the dust.
    It was nice while it lasted. Probably not the best show on TV, but surely entertaining if you feel like something light and girly right after watching CSI, House and Fear Itself ;)
    It was my lunch break company. You know, something breezy, something that even if you stop following and get drifted away while gulping the third bite of pasta, it is OK because nothing mind-blowing really happened, but still pleasant to be there as a backdrop. Shame it had to end. It was a satisfying ending nevertheless. Now what am I going to watch during lunch? "Weeds" maybe?
  • "Marin" reminds me of the character of Carrie Bradshaw from "Sex and the City" in that it inspires one to deeply reflect upon realtionships, expected and unexpected moments!

Definately it stopped me on the tracks when I was surfing channels. The cast is gorgeous, the show scenery attracts romantic characters like myself. I have only watched the show once, but it is now on my list of favorite shows. I have set up my DVR to record every episode. I have signed up with TV.Com just so that I can read about all the episodes I missed. The show is realistic in talking about women's issues regrding the shortage of prospective husbands and boyfriends. I like "Marin's" moments of refelection. They get my own going. It reminds me of "Carrie" in Sex and The City. I will watch more and add to my review once I learn more about the characters!
  • A realtionship coach discovers her finace' is a cheat while on a flight to Alaska to speak to a group of men about realtionships. She decides to stay on in the quirky,town filled with interesting men, to work on a book, and try to learn about men.

Very cute show, thoguh it seems we have seen this set up before (professional New Yorker stranded in tiny Alaskan town, local radio station DJ, cranky bush pilot, sincere bar man, native American girl...)...but that said...Anne Heche is adorable in this show, the Forest ranger,guy, James is one of the most handsome, masculine men on TV...anyone would stay in a town with out soy latte's with this guy hanging around and available. I hope the writers do not rely too much on the fish out of water theme, and instead focus on the inter-relationships of the other characters. Good luck to the cast and crew, it was a treat to watch.
  • Rocky Start, But Room to Grow

Anne Heche stars as a relationship coach who has just dumped her fiance after finding out he cheated on her. The show takes place in Alaska, and the scenery and backgrounds during the show are spectacular. I see lots of people thinking about Alaska for their next vacation. I was a little dissapointed with the first episode in that some of it was predictable and stereotypical, but now that the premise haas been laid down, hopefully the show will pick up a bit. I think that people who liked Everwood will appreciate this show. It is similar in that the main character moves to a new town to do some self-discovery. I would say this show is worth an investment of your time. Give it a few weeks and I think it will grow on a lot of people.
  • The show is a bit like Nothern Exposure in a way but this time the main character is a strong East Coast woman. It is good but not great.

It took a little getting used to but not I LOVE this show. As soon as I think something was going to happen it didn't which made me want to watch more. This season has had a lot of great stories but the one with Patrick has me a little weirded out. I know where they are going with the story but it just makes me depressed and sad. I would have to say it is a guilty pleasure but it's not something I have to watch. I TIVO it and then watch it when I get a chance which can't be a great thing for the show.
  • A good, entertaining show.

This is not the kind of show that I would normally watch (aka chick flick). However, I'm a big Anne fan and really enjoy watching her wit on the screen. This is a good solid cast and I'm glad it was picked up for another season. This could be around for many years to come if the plots stay fresh and the story line doesn't deviate too much from the original premise. The humor and sensitivity is a great appeal; and I believe could be exploited as the characters evole over the series. Don't bring in too many new cast memeber; and old ones, if your listening; don't pull a Mandy on us...
  • Another love triangle driven tv show!

Another guitly pleasure show that I rarely will reveal to others that I watch this show. It is aimed for girls and woman with an entirely chick flick setting -- which is totally my guilty pleasure.

The storyline is cliche and obvious, but the acting is not bad enough to be a turn off. The two main characters again go through trials and trials before (maybe and hopefully) getting together in the end. The tension is definitely there, enough to even spark an off-screen romance between the two.

The exciting part will be waiting for the two to get together in the end, after that storyline is complete, I hope the series will end because it will be a very boring show.
  • You shouldn't miss it!!Fresh, funny and sensitive all in one.

Even though it remembers a little bit of Northern Exposure when you watch some situations of the story, i find it fresh because of the characters in the show, subtle funny (not in an easy way), and sensitive, because I think we all can fins ourselves in that show.
    I really enjoy watching it, ans I have missed it a lot this past holidays, because I think it helps to see life in other way, it helps think changes are possible, and they can be good.
    I love how Anne Heche plays her part, and I like almost all the other characters, even though I think my favourite is Abraham Benrubi.
    Don´t miss it!!!!
  • My wife made me watch and I am glad she did

My wife had seen the previews for this new ABC-TV comedy/drama "Men in Trees" and insisted I watch it with her. Well since we have a new HD TV and the show is shot in HD on location in Vacouver,Canada I agreed. I was pleasantly surprised to see such a smart, well- written show. <br>

On its first night, ABC ran the pilot followed by another episode. Both were delightful. The characters are interesting and not too far out as to be unbelievable. The scenery is gorgeous. And Ann Heche really pulls it all together. As the lead character, she is coming to grips with real life in a real world after having been a "relationship counselor". When her fiancee cheats on her, she realizes she does not have all the answers to life and sets out to find some of them far away from the big cities. <br>

Cute premise. Good show. This one could be around for awhile if they do not screw it up in the writing or by moving its time slot.
  • This show is about a bigtown woman, a relationship expert/writer who in the first episode dumps her cheeting fiansey when she is on a workrelatad trip to a small (233 people) town in Alaska. But she desides to start over and give this small towm a chanse!

This is in no way a great tv-show. But it truly is my new best friend. A real feel-good show for the girls (and mayby boys) who has been dumped and feel like the need to start over. It does it's trick and at the end of every episode I truly wish that I could see ten more on a road. Not because it's exiting in the way Lost or Prison Break is, but beacause I feel good when I've seen it, filled with new energy and hope for the future. So, give it a chanse!
  • I trully do not know what ABC thinks. It is not just this show it is others also. They introduce us to shows get us hocked then "BAM" the show is gone. I"m still trying to figure out why they changed the show from WED-THUR.Why put it on after Gray's.

The show itself is great I love it. I trully hope they bring it back. I really hope they do not keep it on Thurs. though I liked it better on Wed. I'm a stay at home mom and it gave me more then thurs.to look forward to. ABC really sucks for doing what they do. I mean if you are bringing the show back tell people when, and if you are not going to the tell people why.I mean why would you put Three shows all in one evening? It should be back on WED at 9:00 don't they realize that people have to work and are not going to stay up till 11:00.
  • Smart, Sweet, and Irresistible.

A census survey recently revealed that a majority of women (51%) are living without a husband. Men in Trees, then, is the perfect drama for 2007: a scenario in which ladies are alone because they want to be — and when they don't want to be, there are a half dozen sensitive-yet-manly dudes waiting to listen to them attentively, and then have great sex with them. Or even just wash their hair. Hmmm...maybe we should feel a little guilty.
  • A good show set in wonderful scenery with great characters.

It was a huge disappointment to me to find that this wonderful show had been cancelled by ABC. I thoroughly enjoyed watching both seasons and learnt a lot about Alaska which I really had not known much about before. I loved the characters, especially Patrick and Annie and Jane and Sam, and the acting was lovely throughout. Why such a well-written and beautifully photographed show was cancelled is a complete mystery to me. It would be so great if it could come back. Especially as the last episode was terrible as far as concluding a series goes. Bring it back!
  • I miss this show! I have been left hanging, with no idea of what happened to any of the characters. What is the purpose of TV if not to connect with the characters and care enough to come back the next week. Bring back our characters!

I really really enjoyed this show. I came to know the characters and cared enough about them to come back each week to find out what had happened. It is like a good book, you can't stop reading it. But now I find that when I reached the end there is a sequel. This would be great accept the author never bothered to write the sequel!!!! After two years I believe we as viewers deserve some closure. I would like to know if Patrick wins Annie back after treating her so badly without his memory of her, or does she end up with the jerk hockey player. I want Marin and Jack to get married! Let me know how it ends!!!!
  • love the characters in this show, marian and the rest from the people in the bar to the police and all of the different family stuctures. are great.,

I miss seeing this show. and cannot wait for its return
    the show has a great appeal to me it shows women can live anywhere and men love us no matter where we are and i love the way the story lines go. with fun and issues at the same time its not only humor and problems but seeing co mingling in a different way than a pure city living... the show makes me laugh and feel good all the time...
    its refreshing and I just love it... love the city and country... and the sites of nature are so beautiful whereever its film.... thanks for letting me share a little view...
< 1 2 3 4 5