Men in Trees

ABC (ended 2008)

layle1

Men in Trees Fan Reviews (122)

• how they ripped you off.

cast:
    Anne Heche plays reluctant out-of-towner Joel Fleishman
    James Tupper plays will-they-wont-they love interest Maggie O'Connell
    Derek Richardson plays lovable simpleton Ed Chigliak
    Abraham Benrubi plays friendly-barman-in-a-dysfunctional-relationship Holling Vincoeur etc etc.

this show is a blatant rip off of Northern Exposure. you can throw some Sex and the City in there for good measure, but this show is 100% rip off. there's nothing new in there at all.
    the only reason to keep watching this show is to find out whose basement all the women are buried in.

don't waste your time, this was all done 15 years ago with a far more likeable cast and far more interesting characters.
  • Why ABC even bother to give this show a big lead-in!

Sex and the City is a huge success, ever since it ended, lots of show has been coming out trying to capture the eyes of those viewers. But none of them succeeded. Last year's Emily's Reasons Why Not should teach us something, that poor show didn't even get to the second episode. But unfortunately, ABC will never learn. ABC doesn't want to lose the female viewers that was attracted by Desperate Housewives, so it keeps developing more and more chick flick shows. I say it's time to move on already!
    Back to the show, I'll start with the things I like about the show. Anne Heche did a fantastic job on the show, she was witty and funny, she was the center of the show. However, the strength is also its weakness. It focused too much on Anne Heche, other characters seemed pale and dispensable. Even worse, I don't really know what Anne Heche had anything to do with other characters. And plus, it didn't make me wanna watch another episode, there was nothing in the show that could grab your attention.
  • I'm very disappointed...

When I watched this TV show, all I could think about was Dr. Fleischman from Northern Exposure. This is a total rip off of one of my favorite TV shows in the 1990\'s. Northern Exposure at least had well-defined characters with a purpose. Anne Heche is a spoiled New Yorker who can\'t manage to live in Alaska (see the comparison). Men in Trees even has a radio DJ who sounds exactly like John Corbett (Chris) from Northern Exposure. The most recent episode of Men in Trees had a town meeting where the residents of Alaska could complain about things...again mirror image. I'm very disappointed.
  • Crap.

I never understood why Anne got into acting as this show proves that she cant act for her life. A horrible show that ABC has presented us with hoping that we dont mind turning off our brains for. Why they think this is worth anyones time is beyond me. Once again ABC has it wrong and I predict this will go the way every other program of their'does. Cancellation.
  • This show is cute, but not overly interesting. Sort of Sex and the City meets Northern Exposure. If it wasn\'t for the hotness of Jack I wouldn\'t watch.

I\'m not a fan of Anne Heche. She\'s funny, but there is a HUGE cloud of insincerity around her in every role I\'ve ever seen her play. Sometimes, like in Wag the Dog, it works for her character, but her characters don\'t ring true to me, and even in a comedy, ESPECIALLY in a comedy, there has to be an element of truth or how are you supposed to identify with her? Well, you can\'t.

The other actors are fine, with John Amos playing is usually understated best (I\'ve never seen this guy NOT be realistic) and of course the fellow that plays Jack just burns up the screen. Unfortunately, this show needs mroe than that and I have noticed the tweaking of the show from episode to episode. I\'d like to see the show succeed, but i don\'t know how likely that is at this point.
  • Who thought this was a good idea?

3.3
    Men in Trees, even the name of the show sounds sketchy but for the sake of entertainment I let it go and watched a couple of episodes. Men in Trees let me down! I was expecting rustic little town, maybe a little romance,a town idiot and a few laughs in between - I got a whole lot more than that. It projects an image that is so far from the truth, I can't believe it carried on for so long! I'm glad this show got pulled - sometimes I think networks like ABC just pull names out of a bag and produce sitcoms in the dark with no clear indication of where its going. Its pathetic! Its sad and it should have never been on tv.
  • I absolutely do not like this show!

I absolutely do not like this show! I am really sorry to the fans of this show out there but I just find this show to be not that good at all! I watched one episode of this show and I was just extremely appalled by how bad it was! This show centers around a girl surrounded by a bunch of guys who want her which I just don't get because she isn't the most beautiful girl ever and I just don't like the whole premises of this show! I really hope that this show could get off the air because every time I watch the show before that I have to be exposed to this shows badness. Again sorry for all the fans out here!
  • Chick shtick, painful for men to watch.

4.5
    The title Men in Trees would lead one to presume it was about men, but in fact, it\'s about women. It\'s a date flick on a TV screen. It\'s tolerable for men who are placating their womenfolk. But it is really all about feelings - women\'s feelings. The male characters don\'t even have dialog that makes sense for males. The writers have the males spout female chatter, and hope we don\'t notice.

It would be unfair to compare MiT with Northern Exposure. Though both are situated in TV \"Alaska\", the gulf between the two is immense.

Quirky characters are not enough to sell this series. I suspect that this will not last the season.
  • I forced myself to watch this show.

5.6
    I really don't like this show. When I first saw the commercial I was interested especially when I heard it was gonna be a combination between Everwood and SATC. I've never really liked SATC but I am a big Everwood fan. That's where I have first seen Anne Heche, she gueststarred in Everwood not that she was great there but still I wanted to give it a shot. It was very boring. And I realised that I was forcing myself to watch this. And that's not how a show should be. You should try to hate it but... you can't. I remember when I tried to hate Grey's Anatomy (because where I live Desperate housewives was replaced by Grey's anatomy) but I couldn't. So if I have to force myself to watch a show, that is not a good sign. Anyway I watched and I was really bored and I thought that the characters where really annoying... So no this is not a good show for me.
  • okay, not fantastic

Men in Trees triggers a shrug-and-blush response: Women tend to follow a declaration of love for the ABC dramedy with a dismissive ''It's a guilty pleasure.'' Well, stop it. No one should feel guilty about enjoying this smartly written, sunny-sweet show. Plus, it's nearly impossible to resist. If Ally McBeal jabbed at women's insecurities (biological clocks, flibbertigibbetism), and Sex and the City captured women's realities (thriving careers, hungover brunches), Men in Trees is now offering up the lushest postfeminist fairy tale on TV.

Relationship expert Marin Frist (a reassuringly uncrazy Anne Heche) discovers her fiancé is cheating and retreats to tiny Elmo, Alaska. There, she gets to have it all. She sports a series of adorable hats in a soothing, bucolic setting while landing a book excerpt in The New Yorker (big-city publishing careers needn't be scotched just because you live in a place so remote that cell phones are novel). But it's the men in Trees that make this little fantasy so au courant. These Alaskan guys are old-school, which is very new-school. They're not hyper-verbal, super-emo boys. They're men's men. Or so we are often told. The wonderfully sneaky thing is that they're men's men...designed by women (creator Jenny Bicks, a Sex and the City alum, has updated Big, transferred him to the tundra, and given him a lumberjack shirt).

Marin's love interest, the comely Jack (the comely James Tupper), is Elmo's man of fewest words: He's pretty, a biologist, likes animals, and he lets her do all the talking. He also has had his heart broken. This is a prerequisite for males in Elmo, where women are absolutely in charge. Bartender Theresa (Sarah Strange) dumped sweet husband Ben (ER's Abraham Benrubi), and recently picked him up again like an old pair of socks. Marin's Manhattan-based editor (Seana Kofoed) had a fling with an Alaskan hottie, whom she quickly hustled off post-satisfaction. Elmo's Sheriff Celia (Cynthia Stevenson) is yet another man's object of affection (good God, these guys can dote!), but she's so noncommittal, her last name is actually Bachelor. Even the town hooker is picky.
  • Almost like Ally McBeal... only in the woods.

I think this show is a dumpyard for failed actors... who where quite good back in the days... This show has its moments, and is sometimes even touching... but its just another of those shows... you know... insignificant. The chars are ok, the situations are funny, and every now and then there actually is an episode you could watch without checking the clock! In my opinion this is classic chicks-TV... as a male I can say, there are far worse TV-shows to watch with your girl-friend... so if she is into men in trees... you can consider yourself quite lucky...
  • Fun show, guilty pleasure.

This is a fun show that I hope ABC will extend to a full season and then renew.

Unlike many of ABC's shows, this one has no skeletons in the closet and mysteries waiting to be unravelled. All is in the open, straight out. So rather than relying on the mysteries to drive interest in each episode of Lost, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, etc etc, each episode of Men In Trees entertains for the sheer quality of the writing and situations.

I love Anne Heche and she is absolutely brilliant in this show. And they have managed to put together a good amiable and capable cast around her. The scenery's pretty good too, it's nice to have a show in a more natural setting - I guess Lost sometimes qualifies for that too.
  • A woman comes to Alaska to make a speech and stays there.

7.2
    Anyone think it has the "feel" of "Northern Exposure"? Hear the guy (like Chris) talking in the morning as the town wakes up, someone (like the doctor) comes from New York not expecting what they find in an Alasken Town. That show was a classic. Copy the idea? You tell me. Not sure it will be able to compete with the Interesting ghosts on CBS? But it does have promise. Cute moments. I will watch it for awhile.
    Anyone know where I have seen the bar tender?
  • "Marin" reminds me of the character of Carrie Bradshaw from "Sex and the City" in that it inspires one to deeply reflect upon realtionships, expected and unexpected moments!

Definately it stopped me on the tracks when I was surfing channels. The cast is gorgeous, the show scenery attracts romantic characters like myself. I have only watched the show once, but it is now on my list of favorite shows. I have set up my DVR to record every episode. I have signed up with TV.Com just so that I can read about all the episodes I missed. The show is realistic in talking about women's issues regrding the shortage of prospective husbands and boyfriends. I like "Marin's" moments of refelection. They get my own going. It reminds me of "Carrie" in Sex and The City. I will watch more and add to my review once I learn more about the characters!
  • A realtionship coach discovers her finace' is a cheat while on a flight to Alaska to speak to a group of men about realtionships. She decides to stay on in the quirky,town filled with interesting men, to work on a book, and try to learn about men.

Very cute show, thoguh it seems we have seen this set up before (professional New Yorker stranded in tiny Alaskan town, local radio station DJ, cranky bush pilot, sincere bar man, native American girl...)...but that said...Anne Heche is adorable in this show, the Forest ranger,guy, James is one of the most handsome, masculine men on TV...anyone would stay in a town with out soy latte's with this guy hanging around and available. I hope the writers do not rely too much on the fish out of water theme, and instead focus on the inter-relationships of the other characters. Good luck to the cast and crew, it was a treat to watch.
  • The show is a bit like Nothern Exposure in a way but this time the main character is a strong East Coast woman. It is good but not great.

It took a little getting used to but not I LOVE this show. As soon as I think something was going to happen it didn't which made me want to watch more. This season has had a lot of great stories but the one with Patrick has me a little weirded out. I know where they are going with the story but it just makes me depressed and sad. I would have to say it is a guilty pleasure but it's not something I have to watch. I TIVO it and then watch it when I get a chance which can't be a great thing for the show.
  • A good, entertaining show.

This is not the kind of show that I would normally watch (aka chick flick). However, I'm a big Anne fan and really enjoy watching her wit on the screen. This is a good solid cast and I'm glad it was picked up for another season. This could be around for many years to come if the plots stay fresh and the story line doesn't deviate too much from the original premise. The humor and sensitivity is a great appeal; and I believe could be exploited as the characters evole over the series. Don't bring in too many new cast memeber; and old ones, if your listening; don't pull a Mandy on us...
  • Another love triangle driven tv show!

Another guitly pleasure show that I rarely will reveal to others that I watch this show. It is aimed for girls and woman with an entirely chick flick setting -- which is totally my guilty pleasure.

The storyline is cliche and obvious, but the acting is not bad enough to be a turn off. The two main characters again go through trials and trials before (maybe and hopefully) getting together in the end. The tension is definitely there, enough to even spark an off-screen romance between the two.

The exciting part will be waiting for the two to get together in the end, after that storyline is complete, I hope the series will end because it will be a very boring show.
  • You shouldn't miss it!!Fresh, funny and sensitive all in one.

Even though it remembers a little bit of Northern Exposure when you watch some situations of the story, i find it fresh because of the characters in the show, subtle funny (not in an easy way), and sensitive, because I think we all can fins ourselves in that show.
    I really enjoy watching it, ans I have missed it a lot this past holidays, because I think it helps to see life in other way, it helps think changes are possible, and they can be good.
    I love how Anne Heche plays her part, and I like almost all the other characters, even though I think my favourite is Abraham Benrubi.
    Don´t miss it!!!!
  • I trully do not know what ABC thinks. It is not just this show it is others also. They introduce us to shows get us hocked then "BAM" the show is gone. I"m still trying to figure out why they changed the show from WED-THUR.Why put it on after Gray's.

The show itself is great I love it. I trully hope they bring it back. I really hope they do not keep it on Thurs. though I liked it better on Wed. I'm a stay at home mom and it gave me more then thurs.to look forward to. ABC really sucks for doing what they do. I mean if you are bringing the show back tell people when, and if you are not going to the tell people why.I mean why would you put Three shows all in one evening? It should be back on WED at 9:00 don't they realize that people have to work and are not going to stay up till 11:00.
  • Smart, Sweet, and Irresistible.

A census survey recently revealed that a majority of women (51%) are living without a husband. Men in Trees, then, is the perfect drama for 2007: a scenario in which ladies are alone because they want to be — and when they don't want to be, there are a half dozen sensitive-yet-manly dudes waiting to listen to them attentively, and then have great sex with them. Or even just wash their hair. Hmmm...maybe we should feel a little guilty.
  • love the characters in this show, marian and the rest from the people in the bar to the police and all of the different family stuctures. are great.,

I miss seeing this show. and cannot wait for its return
    the show has a great appeal to me it shows women can live anywhere and men love us no matter where we are and i love the way the story lines go. with fun and issues at the same time its not only humor and problems but seeing co mingling in a different way than a pure city living... the show makes me laugh and feel good all the time...
    its refreshing and I just love it... love the city and country... and the sites of nature are so beautiful whereever its film.... thanks for letting me share a little view...
  • Relationship coach/writer moves to Elmo, Alaska during a break-up. Elmo lends inspiration -- and many types of great scenery.

This show is \\\"toe curling\\\" good! The chemistry between the characters rates it must-see TV. The Thursday night lineup is the best of the week. I would rate this a 9 out of 10 -- I\\\'m not fond of the character, Mai...she is a bit too over-the-top for the show.
  • This new show is so refreshing and quirky. Every episode makes me feel good.

A friend of mine just showed me the first few episodes of Men in Trees and I loved it. I didn't watch it when it first aired because I assumed I would not like it. I was wrong. Anne Heche is terrific as Marin and she is completely likeable. All the characters are well developed and you get to find out a little more about each of them each episode. Even the few characters that are a bit out there or unlikable at first will grow on you. In the midst of all the crime/disaster shows out there it's great to have a show like Men in Trees that just makes you feel good and laugh.
  • Excellent - I hope it survives!

I just watched the pilot finally (tivo\'d it a couple weeks ago) and I have to say, I really found it quite funny. Having a fiance from Alaska and having visited there myself, this city girl thought it was spot on. I have no idea why this stupid review has to be at least 100 words long so I\'ll keep typing until I\'ve reached the appropriate amount of words. God this is boring... why would anyone want to read all this crapola???? Are you acutally still reading this? I have 90 more words to go. Down to 95. 98 99 WOOHOO!
  • Many women today have been through a range of what she\\\\\\\'s experienced in this show. Most have to live with their mistakes, but she had the chance to move away and try to heal and begin again. It\\\'s a classic wish for us.

Almost every line she speaks has a double meaning. I find it very touching. The sentiment is real, even if the premise might be a bit questionable. The ability to face your shame and embarassment within the bar - and still knowing they are welcoming you into their town. It\\\'s all slightly exaggerated, but it\\\'s more real than many of the other shows currently popular, which include super powers, vampires and the like. It\\\'s a real \\\"question yourself and your choices\\\" show. The new talent are enjoyable. The quirkiness of the townsfolk remind you of small town life. I highly recommend this new twist TV show on one of the oldest realities in the book - heartbreak.
  • Spanish subtitles have to go...or I will not be watching the show anymore.

Spanish subtitles have to go...or I will not be watching the show anymore.

Love the show...very, very funny but the official language in the US is English. If those who wish to hear it in Spanish can change the language on their televisions Menu...then we all would be watching.

Until subtitles are off...I will be watching another show on another station. Good bye.
  • I think they should keep men in trees it is a very good show they can't just get us hooked on it and then take it away.

Men in trees is a very good show so I hope it runs its course till they can no longer make story lines for it. So far October Road is also good but they are going to have to figure out how to run all the shows I wait for Thursday nights all week waiting on my favorite shows I can hardly wait to see what happens next on Ugly Betty,Grey's Anatomy-very favorite show,Men In Trees.And tuesday nights another favorite Boston Legal very good.They better not ever get rid of Grey's Anatomy it is the best show out of all of them,if seventh heaven can last this many years another favorite of mine than I know these shows should last almost that long.So I guess that's all my input please don't get rid of our favorite shows.KEEP MEN IN TREES!!!
  • A New York-meets-Alaska comedy has alot beneath the surface.

For some odd reason, the reviews I\'ve seen of Men In Trees haven\'t been all that great. Writers seem to immediately want to compare it to Northern Exposure. As far as I\'m concerned, this is a much better show. There\'s alot of deadpan humor, but Men In Trees has a serious undertone - it makes some very clear observations about loneliness that you won\'t find on typical TV sitcoms. I think the writers have done a great job of creating characters who seem familiar, but who aren\'t just stereotypes. The humor is definately there, though. My favorite line is the bartender\'s comment about the oversupply of men in Alaska - \"The odds are good but the goods are odd.\"
    I hope Men In Trees has a long life!
  • Charming show with an attractive cast...

"Men in trees" is charming....it reminds me of "Sex and the city" and "Northern Exposure"..I like the attractive cast..especially Mr. Tupper is a standout (a star is born)..definitely a guilty pleasure..Just hope the writing keeps up and becomes more and more engaging...It has great potentials...ABC should definitely keep this one and patiently nurture it..ABC cancels shows too rashly sometimes...
< 1 2 3 4 5