Men in Trees

The Buddy System

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 27, 2006 on ABC

• Hook line and sinker.

Ok. I have to admit I had been avoiding this show--another girlie show; Alaska (paging Dr. Joel Fleischman!); and Anne Heche as the lead? This was the first episode I saw, and I caught it in the middle to boot. Boy was I wrong! It took exactly 5 minutes for me to like this show. I didn't know who the characters were or what they were talking about, but I enjoyed their chemistry, the setting, everything. I'll have to catch the first few episodes on DVD, but for now I can be satisfied with knowing that I didn't totally miss out on a great show.
  • Marin tries to help Patrick and Buzz build their relationship, but things go haywire when Celia reveals they are actually related to one another. Marin and Annie need to unwind and go to a beauty salon.

Great episode. Buzz and Patrick are related but don't look alike but have the same personality. I would be like oh my god if I found out to. It would take them time to get used to it. I can't believe Sarah broke up with Ben! Just because of his help. And she wrote to him but didn't say to his face. It was so funny with that bigger earthquake and that guy chops some of hair out of Marin's head. That was so cool that Jack fixed it. Jack is so cool! He so needs to hook back up with Marin.
  • The episode had it quirky elements, as usual, which is the best part. Many scenes required suspended disbelief.

7.9
    A friend at work named Linda recently suggested I watch this show (Linda has a black lab that dressed up as Superman for Halloween). I had seen a early episode and was only sort of interested, but based on Linda\\\'s recommendation I tuned back in for this episode last Friday as I did not have plans (lame). The show itself reminds me of Northern Exposure, with the quirky characters in a remote Alaskan town. This episode had it funny parts and I rated it a 7.9, part of the entertainment was watching for unplausible aspects of the plot line (white kid with black dad, attempt of 130 lb woman to pull 200 lb man from hole, lack of panicked digging when stuck in a snowed-in cabin, etc.) but I will watch this show when I can, hopefully as part of a pre-function before going out instead of as a central component of a friday evening. Anne Heche looks good but I liked her hair back when she was with Ellen - shorter hair looks better on her.
  • Jack and Marin still haven\'t a clue. Ben is alone again after Sara freaks out and skips town. SheriffMommy & Patrick made up, but even better he and Buzz have a great story to tell at the bar. But Annie is my favorite Elmoian this week!

Again and again I am reminded of just how sweet this cast is. With just one look between Theresa and Annie when Marin asks Jack if he notices her hair I am reminded that these women know that Jack and Marin have slept together and that whether she will admit or not, Marin has feelings for Jack. It also says a lot about the different ways men and women communicate. The Mar & Ter pingpong during the Emporium scene was more than a little annoying(seriously we get that your names can rhyme) although Annie was wonderful, calling Marin on how she belongs with Jack... Are you sure Buzz is the Daddy? I\'m buying it but only because it\'s TV. SheriffMommy is her typical blaming, snapping self but one might wonder why she doesn\'t go up the mountain to look for her son though it does give us the opportunity to listen to Annie (I just loved Annie all episode) talk to her and Mai like a kindergarten teacher. \"We\'re not going to play the blame game!\" Jack and Marin still spend all their free time together and still haven\'t a clue. Ben is alone again after Sara freaks out and skips town (not to fear Ben! I think there\'s a busload of women planning on moving to Alaska just to find you, even if you never washed your hands on ER). SheriffMommy & Patrick made up, but even better he and Buzz have a great story to tell at the bar.
  • Patrick learns Buzz is his dad, which leads to acrimonious feelings towards his mom. Sara bails on her and Ben relationship. Marin and Jack both are forced to take steps towards trusting each other.

It\'s all about trust. When Buzz heads to his cabin on the mountain to think, Patrick follows him - only for them both to get caught in an avalanche. When teams pair up to go search for them, of course Marin and Jack get tied together - literally. On the subject of kids, Jack tells Marin, he wants then and pointedly ask her how she feels. He says kids are a deal-breaker in any relationship he has. Being Marin, she pokes her nose in and ask if that\'s what happened with him and Lynn. Of course, he doesn\'t answer. Being Jack and all.
    While climbing the mountain, Jack falls down an abandoned shaft and must trust Marin to help pull him out. The flip-side to that trust is Marin puts her hair in Jacks hands at then end. WOW. Huge step forwrd in the trust department.
  • All that AND a bag of chips!

I loved the content of this episode - yes, it\'s exactly why I watch this series. Patrick\'s innocence precludes him from being one of those \"sweep it under the rug\" types. He is sweet in a way that few men are and unspoiled by society\'s normal responses to skeletons in the closet. Through unique circumstances he spends time both confronting and impressing his father giving them both a safe and comfortable place to stand after their father-son relationship is revealed. He learns that his mother did have her reasons for things done in the past.

From that incredibly enjoyable \"Sex and The City\" view, I had to laugh at Marin\'s insistence on having her girlie side acknowledged (\"No, we\'re talking about the whole package. Back home I would have a maintenance day every 6 weeks; new haircut, mani-pedi, a facial...I\'ve completely forgotten to take care of myself.\"). As if men would understand. That\'s the beauty of the show. For as manly as the town is, they seem somewhat befuddled at a woman\'s need to be different than she is naturally. Yet, their interest is piqued enough to want to know why. Isn\'t that why Marin came to Elmo in the first place? To teach them all about men and women? \
    \
    While Marin seems to keep tripping over herself trying to help Patrick and Buzz, she learns a valuable lesson. In earlier episodes we find she has always had a man in her life to do her dirty work (moving furniture, etc.). As she and Jack go up the mountain to find Patrick and Buzz, she is confronted with her own need to find the strength to be there for someone else. She acknowledges the fact that she\'s scared, but meets the challenge and gets Jack out of the hole discovering a strength she may not have known she had. \
    \
    In a parallel situation, we see Sara confronted by her choice to try and make something better of her life. Yet it only takes the comment of one individual to send her fleeing the town of Elmo, unable to find the strength to confront her recent past and move forward. It is sad to think that low self-esteem can be the thin gray line that keeps us from accepting the help that is offered in our lives. A more independent woman would have been able to stand up to June\'s comments, then go home and make more comfortable changes to her relationship to ease the burden of so drastic a change. Instead, those comments were the straw that broke the camel\'s back. \
    \
    At the end of the episode Jack is fixing Marin\'s wounded tresses in the most beautiful and artistically captured scenes which speak to the level of cinematography in this television series. They are exquisite in giving us a true sense of being there and give even more depth to the written words. The sensuality of Jack\'s soft, deep, gravelly voice and the artistic way in which his hands move as he washes her hair against Marin\'s completely submissive physical position (don\'t forget, she\'s trusting a \"dog groomer\" with her hair) is the perfect backdrop for her final summary. \
    \
    \"There\'s no such thing as steady ground. That\'s why the buddy system exists. It\'s important to find people you can trust. Someone you know will pull you out of whatever hole you fall into. You can throw a line out to anyone, but it\'s up to them to catch it and hold on. In the end, you have to let yourself be tied to someone else. It\'s the only way we\'ll make it.\" \ \ I don\'t find this to mean that we must be paired in order to survive throughout our lives. I find it to mean that we must be open to the possibility of trusting enough to accept a friend\'s help when that hand is extended. The strength we bring with us will decide how hard and how long we have to grasp.\" \
    \
    This TV series has everything I want in it. Truth, hope and a writer unafraid to write both these things in an era when treachery and backstabbing seem to be the preferred sustenance of today\'s youth. Loyalty is the one thing sorely missing from any writer\'s pen these days (usually for the sake of ratings) and I pray every week that Jenny Bicks never sinks low enough to leave loyalty at the curb due to pressure from outside sources.