Men of a Certain Age Forums

TNT (ended 2011)

A Six Episode Season??!!

Fryerider

[1]Jan 4, 2011
    • level: 5

I just saw an ad for this show and it said that the next episode is the season finale. It's episode SIX!! I read here that the season was going to be 12 episodes. So did they cut half of them or what? If anyone knows why I'd appreciate the reason.

Thanks,

Fryerider

Edited on 01/04/2011 11:29pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[2]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 22
    That's the same thing that I heard. I thought that this was a 12 episodes season, what happened? Are they short changing us? I re-checked, they did not said mid season, they announce the season finale.

kravitzfan12

[3]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 34
    TNT made the decision to split Season 2 into two 6 episode segments, with the next 6 episodes coming in Summer of 2011.

It certainly is unfortunate for the fans, who have been anxiously waiting for Men of a Certain Age to return, but other cable networks do the same thing with their series. USA used to do it every season with Monk and Psych, airing 9 of the 16 in one batch and then the remaining 7 in another.

No worries, they haven't reduced the episode order!

haldrey

[4]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 22
    Bittersweet news. I am glad that we are having six more episodes, but making us wait that long is just too painful.

Fryerider

[5]Jan 7, 2011

This split season idea is not satisfying! You are just getting back into it with 6 eps, and then you have to wait months for another 6?!! I can see 9 and 7 maybe. But 6 doesn't cut it. Give us 12 and be done with it for the year. Even 12 eps for the season isn't a lot for a show you enjoy.

One man's opinion.

Fryerider

mvaia

[6]Jan 7, 2011
    Yep -- with BS stunts like this, it seems networks actually WANT shows like this to fail. It's a shame, too, because this is one of only a handful of shows that I actually like.

Here's an idea -- for season 3 (assuming there IS a season 3), why not order a full 22 episodes and make it a real season. This way, you don't have to pull a stunt like this again and spread it out so it seems fuller than it really is (similar to how a balding guy tries to disguise his thinning hair).

kravitzfan12

[7]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 34
    mvaia wrote:
    Here's an idea -- for season 3 (assuming there IS a season 3), why not order a full 22 episodes and make it a real season.
    That's never going to happen, because cable networks hardly ever order a season that's longer than 13 to 16 episodes, at least in my recent memory.

To play devil's advocate, TNT is somewhat justified in their decision for two large factors:

1. The Closer has just finished it's season, and Men of a Certain Age will be losing a huge lead-in.
    2. Why compete with network television, and ultimately lose, when you can hold off some of the episodes until summer, when networks are all in repeats?

To me, it's disappointing, but if it increases the changes of Men of a Certain Age's success and renewal, then I'm all for it!

Placebo_obecalP

[8]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 13
    I came here to find out the same thing, split seasons are really, really crappy for the viewer but it's good to hear there'll be more episodes, it's a really awesome show

Yaspaa

[9]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 79
    That's good news.