Men of a Certain Age Forums

TNT (ended 2011)

How can this be rated so poorly on TV.com?

Full_Bleed

[1]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 7

I get that this will be the kind of show that may never be hugely popular and will have to settle for critical acclaim and a loyal audience looking for quality programming.

But what I don't get is how the individual episode ratings on here are being artificially deflated. You'd think that if people really didn't like it and were willing to rate it so low that they'd stop watching it after 4 or 5 episodes and, consequently, the ratings would edge up as the viewership distilled down to more "fans."

But that's not what appears to be happening. While the show may not be everyone's proverbial "cup of tea", the number of 1's needed to drag an average down as low as it is across the entire season smacks of some kind of agenda at play.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kravitzfan12

[2]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 34
    Unfortunately, this happens at a lot of different show guides and there is no way for it to be prevented. I think people think that they can affect the show and its fans by rating the episodes low. The only effect that it has is when someone that isn't familiar with the show wants to check out one of the best episodes and is unable to do so because all of the ratings are a mess. I decided a long time ago to completely ignore the episode ratings all together because they DO NOT reflect the quality by any means.

tazmentalcase

[3]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 2

thank you for this thread. i came on here to see if there was another episode coming out or if 10 was the last of the season and was shocked at the rating for this show. i'm 45, my gf is 42 and we both think it is a superb show. well written, acted, everything is top notch, every bit as good as breaking bad, lost, weeds, mad men, which i also like and are rated very high. is this just some kids being punks? makes me lose respect for tv.com all together.

killemannen

[4]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 10

I agree. I was really surprised of theratings the show has gotten at tv.com.

Me and my gf is in our early thirties and love the show, we also have a lot of friends that really loves the series!

apennismightier

[5]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 5

It's just idiots giving bad ratings to TV that they can't appreciate... it's the same morons that like The Wanda Sykes show and think American Idol is the greatest TV show to ever be created... basically, there's a lot of idiots out there with crappy taste.

japhethshem

[6]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 3

This show really is for a mature audience. It deals with themes kids just don understand or haven't dealt with. That makes majority of the people who visit this site... Honestly most people just want to imagine a world of glamor fashion and what-not where all the characters only have to worry about who's sleeping with who or who hooked up.. Well this show deals in reality. THIS HAPPENS in real life and for me that is interesting, that is worth 40 mins of my time.

vxt

[7]Apr 21, 2010

I'm VERY surprised to see the low ratings too! wow. This show has to be the best made show in a long time. The chemistry between the 3 actors is so convincing that you think they have to be friends in real life as well! The realistic script, expressions and conversations alone makes this show extremely entertaining. I just hope these stupid low raters on sites like this don't effect the show. Too make good shows get cancelled for viewers that have peas for brains.

vxt

[8]Apr 21, 2010

apennismightier wrote:

It's just idiots giving bad ratings to TV that they can't appreciate... it's the same morons that like The Wanda Sykes show and think American Idol is the greatest TV show to ever be created... basically, there's a lot of idiots out there with crappy taste.

So very true my friend.

FCBarca

[9]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 15

No accounting for taste but by and large, the average US viewer prefers a very dummied down series that hits on the LCD formula that Hollywood continues to shove down our throats (esp. Sex, violence and extremely poorly written & transparent characters).

Men of a Certain Age is a member of a precious few series that feels real and has compelling and well written episodes

Raynil

[10]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 3

I really like this show too. Finally a good show again, and it's badly rated. I sure hope that it downs't happen to this show as happend to Studio 60: on the sunset strip. That was also a really well written show with Matthew Perry and Bradley Withford playing the main characters. Cool to see Ray Romano in a show like this compared to Everybody Loves Ray~

pgsuperfan

[11]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 25

I noticed this happens to alot of good shows

syakila

[12]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 1

Exactly like Studio 60 on the sunset strip. It makes no sense that they keep watching these dumb shows and support them and then do this on purpose to good shows. Shows that are written well and have good acting so that crappy shows get on top. Studio 60 was a fantastic show that got cancelled. Same with Dresden Files and Firefly and so many really great shows that die because this type of deliberate tanking done by people. Why do this ? Don't they want good television? Do they just want vegetate in front of their TV with the horrible shows that are on TV these days ? I am so fed up with the kind of system they use to decide what shows get to go on. The really good shows just die with it because the people who vote are completely misusing and abusing the system

haldrey

[13]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 22
    It is done by a secret society group called the dumb ass brigade.

pgsuperfan

[14]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 25

haldrey wrote:
    It is done by a secret society group called the dumb ass brigade.

I have to agree with you