Men of a Certain Age Forums

TNT (ended 2011)

I Love This Show But Can Women & Young People "Get It?"

zzbeach

[1]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 12

I love this show. But I'm a 49 year old guy. This show gives a good peek into what guys my age are going through. It's not too reflective of my life but I know guys that are going through the exact things the characters are going through.

My question is: Will a show about middle aged guys make it when it seems that all of tv entertainment is gearing toward women and young people?

Yeah I'm being a pessimist, but I can't help it. Everything on tv seems to be for women and young people. All the reality shows and the heavy handed dramas have turned me off. It's getting to the point where all I watch are home improvement shows and the news. Even my favorite sci fi tv franchise, Stargate, has created a show that looks more like One Tree Hill or 90210 than a sci fi show. ABC had a good comedy called Carpoolers and I made a comment to my wife how this show was about working men and the relationships between male friends and it was cancelled after 13 episodes. It didn't have enough women and young people watching.

I'm going to be a fan of Men of a Certain Age, but I don't have a good feeling about it sticking around. I hope I'm wrong.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kravitzfan12

[2]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 34
    Here's an article from the great TVbytheNumbers, talking about the show's ratings and chance of survival:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/06/if-tnts-men-of-a-certain-age-is-a-hit-southland-should-be-optimistic/37851

It seems as if your observations are right; viewership isn't to high, but I think that TNT might keep it around because it certainly is critically acclaimed! I guess we'll see when the Emmy Awards come around!

Annajenn

[3]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 10

I love this show! I am a fifty-year-old woman, and, yes, I "get it." I think it's very well written and very realistic. I can't wait for the next episode!

kopeckee

[4]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 20
    really like it.... 57

MichaelMorrell0

[6]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 1
    You love it?! I am absolutely head over heels in love with it! And this from a guy who watches nothing but television that provides information like news, cspan, the history channel, etc. This is the first show in years that I look forward to the day that it comes on. Believe me I hope that it lasts for a long time. -- FYI: Much of the credit goes to executive producer and writer Mike Royce. Interestingly, the three protagonists became friends while in college at Syracuse University. Syracuse is both the real life hometown and alma-mater of the aforementioned Mr. Royce.

Johnny_Archer

[7]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 9
    Assuming I am in the "young people" catagory...
    I'm a 31y/o male and "I" get it.

milkhaswings

[8]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 13
    I'm 20(male) and I haven't missed an episode. It's probably impossible for me to 'get' all the nuances of middle age that they slip in but it's still an intriguing, funny show to me.

zzbeach

[9]Jan 21, 2010
    I didn't know the three guys went to Syracuse University on the show. I'm originally from Syracuse and I don't recall anyone from California going to SU.

Cubby113

[10]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 3
    I'm a woman and I get it, I just turned 42 this month and I think it doesn't matter if your a man or a woman, when you hit middle age everything begins to change in life. Whether it's our body or our hormones, we begin to realize we're not young anymore. We're not considered to be young anymore, it's like you've reached the crest of a hill and you're looking down it, it's really depressing. I really enjoy the black father, I can so relate to the problems that he has with his father trying to still control him. I have a mother that still does that to me now and I resent it. He gets treated worse than his coworkers do, just because he's his son, man can I relate. And I really love Ray Romano's character, it's a really great show and I hope it sticks around. I also watch the show with Courtney Cox, (Cougar Town) it's a sitcom dealing with getting older as a woman, I really enjoy both sides the woman and the man. I GET IT!

zzbeach

[11]Jan 25, 2010
    I like Cougar Town but any woman who looks as good as Courtney Cox does should not have any problems with middle age. The guys here are schlubs. I hate to admit it but men as they age don't take care of themselves like a lot of women do.

mkimble331

[12]Jan 25, 2010
    I'm a woman and not a young one either and I feel the same way you do. I love this show. It's hilarious. I end up watching HGTV, History, Discovery, because of all the stupid girly and reality shows that are produced. Must not be any imaginative writers in the entertainment business now. I don't know what's going on with this stuff, not class.

gingercoffee

[13]Jan 26, 2010
    I hope you are wrong. I am a 46 year old woman and I love this show! It is the first show in a very long time that my husband and I both enjoy. I sincerely hope it stays around a long time!

leishman161

[14]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 16
    I'm 27 and I watch this with my 25 year old girlfriend and we both think it's great.

FCBarca

[15]Mar 9, 2010
    • level: 15

My wife enjoys the show very much actually...And she'd be the first to complain about how Hollywood and TV, in general, is largely sexist and that there are not enough female centered programming.

From her perspective, IMHO, she likes shows that are authentic and not demeaning to women...So even if the protagonists are men, she can get on board.

I have to say, I've been very impressed with Ray Romano in this series...Very insightful to hear him in a radio interview not too long ago talking about the genesis of the show during the Everybody Loves Raymond time...Even strange to see the renaissance in Bakula's Quantum Leap to this

I think it's been a great series so far and look forward to seeing how it continues.