TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

1x01: The Dragon's Call (20/9/2008)

shawnlunn2002

[1]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 41

When young warlock Merlin arrives at Camelot, sent by his mother to start a new life, he finds himself in a place where magic is punishable by death. Yet when he finds the Great Dragon, Merlin's destiny becomes clear- he must use his magic to protect Arthur, son of Uther and future King.

Trailer ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxfdY5wFYR8

Saturday 7.30pm

Edited on 09/17/2008 6:07am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

queerlybeloved

[2]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 44
    I'm looking forward to this series immensely - I've always been a fan of Arthurian legend. It's got a strong cast- can't quite believe John Hurt is the voice of the Dragon!- plus Messrs Morgan and James are kinda easy on the eye (shallow, shallow, I know). All I know so far is that Merlin uses his magic to save Gaius and is warned to keep his abilities a secret, and that a young man is put to death at the beginning of the episode- the son of Eve Myles' character. She promises revenge and it seems she goes after Arthur, thus forcing Merlin to use his magic to save the once and future king.

shawnlunn2002

[3]Sep 16, 2008
    Right there with you QB. Mr Morgan and Bradley are easy on the eye and this looks like a lot of fun.

I read that Julie Gardner is a producer so that's another DW connection. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some DW/TW writer/directors.

NBC will air this in 2009 so US viewers are going to get a slice of it as well.

queerlybeloved

[4]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 44
    I've noticed that there's a separate guide for the NBC showing (hence this one is Merlin (UK)). Dunno what I feel about that. I don't agree with duplicate guides myself. I see any of my submissions copied onto the NBC guide... look out!

James Hawes (who directed the Who episodes The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Christmas Invasion, School Reunion and New Earth) is directing The Call Of The Dragon (or The Dragon's Call as it is in the Radio Times). I imagine there'll be a fair bit of Who crossover- hey, there are 4 Who alumni in the main cast before we start!

shawnlunn2002

[5]Sep 16, 2008
    I think I should change the title after the episode airs. I'll see if it's The Dragon Call or The Call Of The Dragon.

Duplicate guides are pointless IMO. One is more than enough. Besides whoever get editorship of the series can add international airdate in the trivia/notes section for each episode.

James Hawes is a good director so I'm glad he's working on this. This has got to be better than Robin Hood as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully more buzz will generate soon. Only the Doctor Who/Torchwood forums blow up big time for UK shows on this site. That should change as there are many brilliant UK shows right now.

Plus this is being filmed in Cardiff. SFX Magazine did a brilliant behind the scenes look on the series. Looking forward to Eve Myles' turn as a villain.

efc1991

[6]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 25
    I thought the premiere was ok to be honest it was better than I expected, I'm not a fan of these BBC shows but I might catch the next episode or see it on Iplayer.

Carmykins

[7]Sep 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    I watched the first episode today on BBC.

It was really good. I plan to keep watching it!

They were really quick into everything.
    They didn't drag anything on.

Tessaleonie

[8]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    I though it was quite good, i'm rather curious which direction they are going to take it

Carmykins

[9]Sep 21, 2008
    Same here!

shawnlunn2002

[10]Sep 21, 2008
    I enjoyed it, its not quite Doctor Who excellent but it easily usurps Robin Hood as far as I'm concerned. Colin Morgan makes for a good Merlin. A guy who wants to do good, doesn't really know how to at times and is prone to being a little immature. Then again I liked him in another show he appeared in recently.

Not really keen on either Arthur or Uther. The actors that play them are great but the characters felt a little too one note for my liking. The HoYay between Merlin and Arthur was amusing enough though.

As for the ladies, Morgana cam across as better than I thought she would. I kinda had a feeling I would warm to Gwen more and I did. I think there's a clear setting up of her and Merlin, even though he seemed a little too interested in Morgana.

Gaius is a decent character as well. A good mentor for Merlin so I'm interested in his development as well as the dragon that's being kept by Uther as an example.

Eve Myles pulled in a good performance as Mary Collins/Lady Helen. Top marks if tha is her actual singing voice as well. The ending lacked a little oomph but overall it was a good start to the series, 8/10.

Carmykins

[11]Sep 21, 2008
    The guy who acts as Arthur is cute though!
    (x

Morgana is Irish, which is cool too!

And I love Gaius. Great to see his actor back on T.V as One foot in the Grave!

djhanley

[12]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 17

Carmykins wrote:

I was happy to hear the Irish accent too!!

I just finished watching the first episode and i enjoyed it, like it wasnt amazing but id say im definately intriguied enough to see where they are going to go with the series. I like Colin Morgan and think he will be a good merlin and i taught it was good how he is a bit of a reluctant hero, even though he wants to do the right thing with his magic he is still a young headstrong guy. And himself and Bradley are pretty hot so no complaints there

I also cant wait to see Will Mellor in the next ep I love him!!

Junkyxl19

[13]Sep 22, 2008
    I liked it aswell!
    Def keep wathing this show and I like Merlin. Arthur aint bad either.

illegalferret

[14]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 25
    I enjoyed it too! It was highly entertaining and good saturday evening tv, so i like the rest of you will continue to watch it to see what happens! and yes i too think merlin and arthor are very cute, so another reason to keep watching then!

Carmykins

[15]Sep 23, 2008
    djhanley wrote:

Carmykins wrote:

I was happy to hear the Irish accent too!!

I just finished watching the first episode and i enjoyed it, like it wasnt amazing but id say im definately intriguied enough to see where they are going to go with the series. I like Colin Morgan and think he will be a good merlin and i taught it was good how he is a bit of a reluctant hero, even though he wants to do the right thing with his magic he is still a young headstrong guy. And himself and Bradley are pretty hot so no complaints there

I also cant wait to see Will Mellor in the next ep I love him!!

You and me seem to be on the exact page about this show! Haha!

I clicked onto your profile and I see you're from Galway! I am too!

Edited on 09/23/2008 12:04pm

shawnlunn2002

[16]Sep 23, 2008
    I'm from Galway, just to get that out there. Overall enjoyable first episode. Looking forward to episode 2.

Carmykins

[17]Sep 24, 2008
    Haha, snap!

djhanley

[18]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 17
    So basicaly Galway loves Merlin

Carmykins

[19]Sep 27, 2008
    Yes, yes it does!