Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

1x11 The Labyrinth Of Gedref

queerlybeloved

[1]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 44

The Labyrinth Of Gedref

Saturday November 29 2008, BBC One, 7:35pm

Arthur kills a unicorn, bringing a curse upon all of Camelot. With the city fast running out of both food and water, he is desperate to make amends and help his people. But to do so, he must listen to the mysterious Anhora- and he does not like what he hears...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 25

Im thinking this one is looking quite exciting, have seen a piture of merlin and arthur sitting on a beach with 2 goblets in front of them, plus the trailor looked interesting.

However arthur may have made an enemy for life in the process of killing this unicorn, the enemy being my mum! she hates watching anything bad happening to horses (or unicorns!) even when she knows its fake! so she's not watching this weeks, but will continue watching the following week but with a very low opinion with poor arthur!! lol!! I'll watching this weeks once again on the i player but i cant wait!

Carmykins

[3]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    Oooh, can't wait. Sounds good!

happy-days-4-sr

[4]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 14
    yea, i've seen that picture too of merlin and arthur at a table on the beach. im guessing one of them is poison and one of them will have to die to pay for the unicorn's death... or something. i look forward to it

Carmykins

[5]Nov 29, 2008
    I liked it. Arthur is just so adorable.
    The unicorn was sooo pretty!

zaracat

[6]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 8

Just started watching this ep online, but so far I don't care for they way the writers have Arthur behaving. He has been getting kinder, more understanding, and more determined to handle things differently than his father. Then all of a sudden at the start of this ep he's back to being an ass who gleefully kills a unicorn. I wish the writers had done it a little differently, he still could have been the one that killed it to allow for the rest of the story to occur, but it could have been an accident of some kind instead of completely regressing his character.

Oh well, I'll finish watching and hopefully the rest of the ep will be well done.

illegalferret

[7]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 25

I absolutely loved this episode! Yes, to start with arthur was complete idiot killing the unicorn but once again the episode showed what this series is best at, character development. By the end we saw an Arthur who is able to accept he made mistakes and is more then willing to pay for them with his life. I thought all the scenes between merlin and arthur were fantastic and you can really see how strong their friendship is, which is key for future episodes (mainly 13!), the scene with the rat strew was sooooo funny!!!

This series is going from strength to strength shame there is only two episodes left of this series, the bbc better give us a 2nd series!

Carmykins

[8]Dec 1, 2008
    We deserve a 2nd series!

queerlybeloved

[9]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 44
    Apparently the BBC are making 'favourable noises' about a second series.

I quite enjoyed this. Frank Finlay was very good as Anhora, and I liked the final scene at the beach very much. Plus the unicorn actually looked half decent.

Carmykins

[10]Dec 2, 2008
    Didn't it just?

happy-days-4-sr

[11]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 14
    only just got round to watching it, lol. i really loved it - the rat stew was hilarious - reminded me of a scene from red dwarf with a space weevil... and that merlin/arthur scene on the beach was just amazing. though it seemed rather similar to the goblet of fire (if only for the maze!) last week 'a bug's life', now this. a really lovely ep.

Carmykins

[12]Dec 5, 2008
    Well, it's hard to have an original idea now-a-days!

gabawaka

[13]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 2
    I like this show, its like smallville but with Merlin and King Arthur. The CW should of picked this show up, if fits their type of shows (no offense >_>). Too bad NBC already bought it so...

mylady127

[14]Mar 29, 2009
    • level: 3

this epi was soooo cute and sweet. I love how they said that Arthur's heart is pure. Aww...so sweet. He would sacrifice his life for his servant. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

by the way, Arthur is ridiculously good looking with that hunting outfit. Actually, he's hot in whatver he wears.

haldrey

[15]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 22
    This was truly lovely episode, a magical one.

dcxboxgc

[16]Sep 1, 2009
    • level: 6
    zaracat wrote:

Just started watching this ep online, but so far I don't care for they way the writers have Arthur behaving. He has been getting kinder, more understanding, and more determined to handle things differently than his father. Then all of a sudden at the start of this ep he's back to being an ass who gleefully kills a unicorn. I wish the writers had done it a little differently, he still could have been the one that killed it to allow for the rest of the story to occur, but it could have been an accident of some kind instead of completely regressing his character.

Oh well, I'll finish watching and hopefully the rest of the ep will be well done.

It makes sense that Arthur has these kinds of moments though as he is still young and immature. Also, I think it is important for the show to focus on Arthur's struggles to appease his father but also do what he believes is right and just. We know that Arthur is supposed to be the savior of Camelot who restores magic to the land one day, but right now he is just a Prince who has his faults and low points like anyone else. He doesn't have all the answers yet, he is still learning about himself and what it takes to be King and that is what keeps things interesting.

At the end of the episode, Arthur realizes that his mistake caused his people to suffer. He now knows that when he becomes King, he must make responsible and selfless decisions to protect the people of Camelot.

ilee1990

[17]Sep 20, 2009
    • level: 10
    Also realize that Arthur has been raised not to give any credence to magical lore. To him the unicorn was just another animal. He had no reason to think that it would bring a curse down upon Camelot. He was on a hunt and killed it. I don't think that makes him bad or immature. I hunt for food but I don't trophy hunt. That's what he was doing and I personally don't like that side of him. But, he is very mature for his age. He always takes responsibility for his people even when the King won't. He certainly isn't perfect and he does try to be a good prince.