Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

2x10 Sweet Dreams

illegalferret

[1]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 25

Dignitaries from several different Kingdoms arrive in Camelot for peace talks. But King Alined wants war, so he uses jester Trickler to put a spell on Arthur to make him fall for a rival king's daughter. Chaos follows! Can Merlin save the day?!

This episode sounds like it could be a right laugh! It's on at 6.05pm tonight, enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geordiegirl1967

[2]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 5
    Ok - quick first thoughts...

I had pretty low expectations for this episode. The love spell plot looked old hat (been done twice before), and it looked like it was going to be played for laughs where I tend to prefer the angsty eps. BUT I was very pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't one of the best ever, but it was good fun.

Things I liked:

- The contrast between Arthurs genuine, deep, and largely unspoken feelings towards Gwen, with the over-the-top, deliberately hammed up, spell-induced 'love' for Vivian
    - The Arthur / Merlin relationship. It wasn't just one or 2 lovely moments that we have had to make do with in recent eps. It ran through the whole episode. eg Arthur asking Merlin for advice on how to express his feelings (something he has said before he struggles to do), trusting Merlin to say the right thing to the object of his love (albeit to the wrong one), the fact that only Merlin knows about his feelings for Gwen, and just their general banter was lovely.
    - Vivian was well cast and really entertaining
    - the comedy in general was well done. I particularly liked Merlin hiding Vivian in the wardrobe. Is there no limit to the distance this slight young lad can carry an unconscious woman though ?
    - the development of the relationship between Gwen and Arthur. There are many Merlin fans who just don't see any chemistry between Gwen and Arthur, but the look they shared outside Vivian's room near the start of this episode was beautiful. It made my heart skip a beat. And before this I sort of preferred Gwen with Lancelot! Their romance in this ep was just that - romantic. It wan't all climbing into windows with roses, it came across as much deeper.
    - the kiss in the tent. Definitely the most romantic moment in Merlin so far. Lovely!

Things that were a bit 'meh'

- the villains. Unlike the rest of this series, where the bad guys have been outstanding, I didn't think they were that good. Were they meant to be gay Nothing wrong with that of course, but if so it didn't quite work
    - the fact that at the end Vivian was still in love with Arthur. I thought that was rather sad.
    - the very easy way the peace talks were negotiated, but I suppose that was just the background to the story
    - that the joker's obvious use of magic during his entertainment at the feast wasn't noticed by anyone but Merlin. Also, even though Uther had only recently fallen very suddenly in love with someone who turned out to be a troll, the thought that Arthur and Vivian's sudden and violent feelings for each other might be magically induced again didn't seem to occur to anyone.

Overall though much better than I was expecting. Maybe not the best ep this series, but still a damned sight better than anything else on TV at the moment

Merthurslady

[3]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 2
    Loved this episode. Very funny, great Arthur/Merlin friendship, and lovely development of the Arthur / Gwen romance. No huge plot developments, but lots of character development. Much better than I was expecting.

XyFan

[4]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 4

This episode was really funny. Especially Arthur falling in love part, haha.

oooh.. next episode is going to be AWESOME

illegalferret

[5]Nov 29, 2009

Just watched Sweet Dreams and i had a smile on my face nearly the whole way through! I agree with Geordiegirl this episode was much better than i expected, yeah the whole love potion thing has been done several times before but i thought it was very good. The various comic moments had me cracking up- destiny and chicken anyone!! It was nice to see the Arthur/Merlin friendship grow even more, plus Guinevere and Arthur's relationship is growing nicely. I know some people think its to sudden but i think not and that in fact it's quite believable!

Next week looks like its bringing about a return to dark less funny Merlin, very excited!!

Oh and if anyone wants to fall about laughing watch the Secret and Magic behind the sceens stuff for this epi. Colin and Bradley's power balled thing at the end had me cracking up! Anyone else think they'd make one VERY HOT boyband!!!

Edited on 11/29/2009 2:31am

electricpeppers

[7]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 26
    XyFan wrote:
    oooh.. next episode is going to be AWESOME

Yes. Love me some Mordred, the kids creepy.

HappyGirl818

[8]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 10

I loved this episode! I thought it was hilarious!

The main thing I enjoyed about it was the Arthur/Gwen love scenes. I know some Merlin fans felt like their relationship came out of nowhere and was rushed (I never felt that way because from the moment I started watching this show I figured they were going to be together at some point), but I felt this episode did a good job of showing the depths of their feelings for one another. It was all just very romantic.

Geordiegirl1967

[9]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 5
    Thanks for your kind comments svram. I am with you that vivian still being under the spell, and tricklers magic not being spotted were minor things that did not detract from a fun episode. I noticed a couple of other things on rewatching. 1) the owl impersonation

My job is to woo
    To what
    To woo

v funny. 2) when gwen said 'i have caused my share of hurt' at the end was she talking about her feelings for lancelot?

3) the method of breaking the spell was quite similar to that for the troll spell ie couldn't be done by magic. Had to be broken by a realisation of genuine feelings.

boom-moo

[10]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 75

Sorry for the weird layout. i kept editing but it still looks messy. Super late here but I spent the weekend away so I'm only catching up now.

I'm really happy with the episode. Just as I wished, we got meaningful stuff in between the light comedy so yeah

Things I loved:

-Everything about Arthur and Gwen: their shared stare at Lady Vivian's door, him telling Merlin that Lady Vivian treated Gwen rudely, her reading him and knowing there was something upsetting him, him showing up at her place and apologizing, her confessing she's hurt him too, the kiss that unchants Arthur but above all, the fact that Arthur asked Merlin to look after her for him should anything happen to him in the fight. Oh, and I am dying to know the content of the note that Arthur brought Gwen (I bet that was all his doing and not Merlin's), but I'm afraid we won't ever know. Arthur really loves Gwen and I think she has only realized now to what extent. And he might have as well understood why Gwen could have felt her feelings for Lancelot as something more real, not as in deeper ones but as in some that could be pursued without trouble. It was great to see Arthur wishing for things to change and willing to wait on her, I think both are in the understanding that the possibility of a future together is not as crazy as it looks if they hold on to their feelings. Gwen is the one he's ever loved and he looks determined not to give up. Go Arthur!

-King Alined cleverly plotting something that would provoke war whilst he merely sits and watches. Smart move.

-The (not that) subtle reference to King Alined being gay or was it just me?

-Destiny and chicken. Lmao! Arthur making a fool of himself was really fun.

-Arthur and Merlin was also really good. They treated each other pretty much like friends, openly talking about love and feelings. Arthur still puts barriers up when it comes when his true feelings, but he let his emotions slip in front of Merlin in a couple of occasions and that was great.

-Merlin getting Gwen wild flowers and not roses like it was Arthur's choice.

-Gwen awaiting Arthur and finally putting the candle out. So sad and beautiful.

-Merlin staying the whole night awake reading through love spells.

-Love spells being broken by true feelings. That makes sense and it is lovely that only something real beats the most powerful magic. I also loved how Arthur's physical pain came hand in hand with the emotional one.

-The mace and staff fight. Sword is still my favourite but it was nice for a change.

-Arthur's outfit when he shows up at Gwen's.

Things that were a bit 'meh'

-Vivian's spell not being broken. She might be a spoiled brat but she was an innocent part in all of it as well.

-Not enough Morgana (kinda understandable) but her scene with Gwen was an important one.

-The fact that neither Uther nor King Olaf (or anyone else not being Merlin, Gaius, the Dragon, Gwen and Arthur) gets to know that it all had been provoked by a magic trick. It would have ruined the peace talks, but I dunno, I don't like Arthur looking like an idiot just for the sake of it.

-Not a single mention of the other 2 kings gathered for the peace talks.

Things that I didn't like:

- Arthur slapping Merlin. I think it was a bit too much. I know Arthur wasn't himself, but still. Even Bradley disagreed with it.

Edited on 11/29/2009 6:31pm
    Edited 4 total times.

Merthurslady

[11]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 2
    I agree with everything you have said Boom-moo, and with Ggirl. On other forums there seem to be a lot of very vocal anti Gwen and anti A/G ship posters. I just don't get it. Their romance has been very sweetly done IMO. I m still a bit of a closet Gwen/Lancelot shipper, but this episode did more than any other to bring me on board HMS Arwen. It was just lovely. I loved the look they shared outside Vivian's room in particular.

Only one little thing kind of bothered me. This was the recycling of lines. It has happened before but was more obvious than usual here. Gwen said 'live, for me' which Lancelot used in ep 4. Arthur told Gwen she has 'a good heart' which she has said to him before. And if I hear Gwen described as 'only a servant' one more time......

But hey - I couldn't write a TV show. Who am I to criticise?

illegalferret

[12]Nov 30, 2009

Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    1) the owl impersonation My job is to woo To what To woo v funny.

How did i miss that?!! Lol!! That is classic!

boom-moo

[13]Nov 30, 2009
    It good to see that in general most of us have been greatly surprised by the episode

Merthurslady wrote:
    On other forums there seem to be a lot of very vocal anti Gwen and anti A/G ship posters. I just don't get it. Their romance has been very sweetly done IMO.
    I didn't like how it was started, it was really out of the blue to me but the continuation has been really good in my opinion and I'm really looking forward to see how it's gonna be developed.

Merthurslady wrote:
    Only one little thing kind of bothered me. This was the recycling of lines. It has happened before but was more obvious than usual here. Gwen said 'live, for me' which Lancelot used in ep 4. Arthur told Gwen she has 'a good heart' which she has said to him before. And if I hear Gwen described as 'only a servant' one more time...
    Colin Morgan and Bradley James do as well point out the "live for me" line being said in both 2x04 and 2x10. Yeah, it gets old right? Unless it is intentional for some reason I don't get to understand, I think the writers should avoid such things at key scenes that fans will watch and rewatch (it wasn't just me, right? )

Arthur saying that Gwen has "a good heart" is not that annoying to me since he really has issues expressing his feelings, so I kinda see it as something that fits his character.

And lol yeah, Gwen being "just a servant" is something we all have more than clear by now

Yaspaa

[14]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 79
    Lovely episode. The only bad thing is that we are one episode closer to the end.

boom-moo

[15]Dec 1, 2009
    Yaspaa wrote:
    The only bad thing is that we are one episode closer to the end.
    Indeed

I'm sorry to sound obsessed but does anyone get what the card that Arthur leaves on Gwen's table say? It's three words, the last one of them being "Gwen". I keep flipping around my laptop but I can't read the other two words

Yaspaa

[16]Dec 2, 2009
    • level: 79
    Hmm, I can't make it out either, high definition may hold the answer. Love you Gwen....nice rack Gwen, who knows. Is that how you spell her name, shouldn't it be Guin?
    Edited on 12/03/2009 2:39am
    Edited 2 total times.

illegalferret

[17]Dec 2, 2009
    Maybe it was "I'm sorry Gwen" I had a look but couldn't read what it said!

boom-moo

[18]Dec 2, 2009
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Love you Gwen....nice rack Gwen, who knows. Is that how you spell her name, shouldn't it be Guin.
    Omg, lmfao at the rack one I have a feeling it's not that The short form is Gwen for some reason *shrugs*
    illegalferret wrote:
    Maybe it was "I'm sorry Gwen" I had a look but couldn't read what it said!
    That's my guess too but it kills me not knowing!

Thank you both for replying

haldrey

[19]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 22
    Exiting episode. The only thing is that Gwen looks so simple alongside other beauties that it hard to believe that Arthur would prefer Gwen. In all of King Arthur legends Gwen is of stunning beauty, guess it was a bad choice of actress. I just finished watching the documentary 'The Real Merlin & Arthur', anyone that likes Merlin should also see this documentary.

boom-moo

[20]Dec 5, 2009
    haldrey wrote:
    The only thing is that Gwen looks so simple alongside other beauties that it hard to believe that Arthur would prefer Gwen. In all of King Arthur legends Gwen is of stunning beauty, guess it was a bad choice of actress.
    I think that "simplicity" doesn't need to be a negative thing. Maybe that is appealing to Arthur. He doesn't like to let it show because of the way he's been brought up but he can't help but being close to people he "shouldn't" be like Merlin and Gwen. And in any case, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and love does not know about looks.

haldrey wrote:
    I just finished watching the documentary 'The Real Merlin & Arthur', anyone that likes Merlin should also see this documentary.
    I agree. I added the episode to the guide