Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

2x11 The Witch's Quickening episode discussion

boom-moo

[1]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinion/comments/discussion here. Thank you
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 25

Awww this one looks good! So can't wait!

boom-moo

[3]Dec 5, 2009

Ok, here we go:

Things that I loved:

-Colin's performance. Absolutely fantastic through all the episode!

-Merlin being more and more torn every time. The weight he is wearing on his shoulders is really paying a toll on him. He is really torn between his loyalty to Arthur and his need to protect Morgana from herself.

Things that I liked:

-More Morgana, and hints of what she can become. She is definitely breaking her bond with Uther and seeking those of her kind. She feels alienated and contrary to Merlin, she has no one to guide her, so she is decided to change that and she's taken some first clear steps already. Her future actions can really alter everyone's alliances and affections.

-Morgana wearing Morgause's bracelet.

-Arthur lying to protect Merlin and trusting him to keep the crystal safe.

-Mordred's creepy threat. Merlin knows he has a tough enemy to face.

-Morgana defying Uther by freeing Alvarr. I think Uther knows it was her but he can't prove it.

-Merlin not being able to resist and watch the crystal. And omg what he saw!

-Gaius' advice to Merlin in that there's not just one reality and that the future is shaped everyday.

-Uther and Arthur not knowing the exact nature of the crystal, just that it can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Sounds so very Uther to lock it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Things that I'm meh about:

-Merlin not trying to talk Morgana out of turning her back to Uther. She knows that he knows she has magic, so she should know Merlin could guess. I missed some veiled advice from him.

-Morgana and Alvarr's almost kiss.

Things that I didn't like:

-Arthur being the only one oblivious to what's going on. C'mon...

-I missed getting some background about how Alvarr and Mordred got in contact with each other.

-Footage from episode 2x03 being used in this episode. Gotcha, TPTB!

-The exchange of looks between Alvarr and his girl in the middle of the battle. Really?

-Merlin only realizing about Morgana having stolen the keys after Arthur points out that the locks haven't been damaged. He totally saw her (if not closing it) by the drawer where the keys were kept. And those keys were big enough to conceal, especially since Morgana doesn't have pockets.

Now, is it just me or the crystals that Morgause used in 2x08 were pretty much the same as the crystal in this episode?

dpebbleson

[4]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 23
    boom-moo wrote:

Ok, here we go:

Things that I loved:

-Colin's performance. Absolutely fantastic through all the episode!

-Merlin being more and more torn every time. The weight he is wearing on his shoulders is really paying a toll on him. He is really torn between his loyalty to Arthur and his need to protect Morgana from herself.

Things that I liked:

-More Morgana, and hints of what she can become. She is definitely breaking her bond with Uther and seeking those of her kind. She feels alienated and contrary to Merlin, she has no one to guide her, so she is decided to change that and she's taken some first clear steps already. Her future actions can really alter everyone's alliances and affections.

-Morgana wearing Morgause's bracelet.

-Arthur lying to protect Merlin and trusting him to keep the crystal safe.

-Mordred's creepy threat. Merlin knows he has a tough enemy to face.

-Morgana defying Uther by freeing Alvarr. I think Uther knows it was her but he can't prove it.

-Merlin not being able to resist and watch the crystal. And omg what he saw!

-Gaius' advice to Merlin in that there's not just one reality and that the future is shaped everyday.

-Uther and Arthur not knowing the exact nature of the crystal, just that it can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Sounds so very Uther to lock it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Things that I'm meh about:

-Merlin not trying to talk Morgana out of turning her back to Uther. She knows that he knows she has magic, so she should know Merlin could guess. I missed some veiled advice from him.

-Morgana and Alvarr's almost kiss.

Things that I didn't like:

-Arthur being the only one oblivious to what's going on. C'mon...

-I missed getting some background about how Alvarr and Mordred got in contact with each other.

-Footage from episode 2x03 being used in this episode. Gotcha, TPTB!

-The exchange of looks between Alvarr and his girl in the middle of the battle. Really?

-Merlin only realizing about Morgana having stolen the keys after Arthur points out that the locks haven't been damaged. He totally saw her (if not closing it) by the drawer where the keys were kept. And those keys were big enough to conceal, especially since Morgana doesn't have pockets.

Now, is it just me or the crystals that Morgause used in 2x08 were pretty much the same as the crystal in this episode?

I know Arthur's not gonna find out about Merlin's magic this season, but I was kind of secretly hoping throughout this episode that he would notice something.

It's funny that every time he is good to Merlin, he conceals it with a threat or harsh tone Servants are servants, and not friends, Merlin! But keep this crystal, please, I can't trust anyone else

boom-moo

[5]Dec 5, 2009
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I know Arthur's not gonna find out about Merlin's magic this season, but I was kind of secretly hoping throughout this episode that he would notice something.
    It might happen in the last episode as a very mean cliffhanger, who knows? In any case I believe it's gonna be a great plotline to explore during the next series. It is really about time and it's gonna be really exciting to witness how their relationship is shaped once Arthur gets to know about it. Pretty much same as Merlin, he is gonna be torn between the loyalty to his father and his friendship with Merlin, especially if he gets to know how many times Merlin has saved his life and Camelot. Also, he might realize that his physical strength is not enough to fight every battle, which should make him rethink most of premises the he's been brought up under.

dpebbleson wrote:
    It's funny that every time he is good to Merlin, he conceals it with a threat or harsh tone Servants are servants, and not friends, Merlin! But keep this crystal, please, I can't trust anyone else
    Yeah Arthur keeps the appearances and pulls up a front but Merlin knows better.

boom-moo

[7]Dec 5, 2009
    sramv9 wrote:
    is anyone able to explain the title of this one a bit?
    Lmao! See that made me laugh because I was wondering about it before I watched the episode. My take on it is that the witch in Morgana is coming out, her evil side is starting to show and not precisely in a subtle way. She is making moves that grant her the title of 'witch' that the Great Dragon has been giving her a while ago.

illegalferret

[8]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 25

Ok my first impressions of epi 11, i watched it late last night and my the end i VERY excited for things to come! As a basic plot, evil warlock gets Mordred and Morgana to steal a crystal was pretty straight forward and wrapped up quite quickly, but everything around it was really good. Morgana siding with her people (as in Mordred) rather than Uther and Camelot was interesting to see as was watching her worry when the warlock claimed he would wipe out camelot. It made u realise that it's only Uther she hates not Camelot as a whole. Nice to see more interaction between Arther and Morgana I've missed it this series, not the romance between them but the brother/sister relationship. Good Merlin and Arthur interaction too, yes Arthur blamed Merlin for the missing crystal, but he took the blame when facing his dad, and then at the end entrusted the crystal to Merlin. Who peeked at it, oooo he's seen the release of the dragon!! Finally, the Urther/Morgana row, that's it people they are never getting on again! Uther know's it was Morgana that freed the warlock, but either can't or won't prove it, yet!

Next week looks amazing and with everything set up this episode, with Mordred finally turning against Merlin for leading the Knights straight to the camp. Morgana's desent to the darkside and Merlin and dragon, the futer looks pretty good too! So can't wait!! And it looks like the dragon's getting next week, not in the final.

Geordiegirl1967

[9]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 5
    I got interrupted 20 mins from the end, so had to watch the rest later, and was a bit distracted throughout for various (non Merlin related) reasons, but at the moment I am just not feeling the Ep11 love everyone else is.

I should start by declaring an interest. My favourite aspect of the show is the relationship between Merlin and Arthur. This was largely absent, and what was there did not serve their relationship well. The way Arthur treated Merlin at the start was back to the bad old days of ep 1. This was a big disappointment for me. I am looking for progression in their friendship, but there was none this week. We are still stuck at an unequal point where Arthur hugely undervalues Merlin. This has got to stop. The show needs Arthur to find out about Merlin. Otherwise their relationship cannot progress any further. The huge secret between them means they can never be genuinely close friends. I am also not sure that enough has been done to explain why Morgana would, pretty much without a thought, help someone she doesn't know to destroy her home, and everyone she has known and loved - Gwen and Arthur particularly. Uther is more understandable, but even there she has always been conflicted about him. One plot foible - won't anyone ask the guards who drugged them? Then it will be clear that it was Morgana.

On the plus side, Alvarr was v good, Colin gave a brilliant performance as always, loved the foreshadowing of the future eps, the Morgana / Uther scene was great and Mordred was v creepy. Also the ep ended on a genuine 'no going back' moment which is rarely the case, so had more impact

I am going to watch it again. I may change my mind.

boom-moo

[10]Dec 6, 2009
    illegalferret wrote:
    Morgana siding with her people (as in Mordred) rather than Uther and Camelot was interesting to see as was watching her worry when the warlock claimed he would wipe out camelot. It made u realise that it's only Uther she hates not Camelot as a whole.
    Yes I liked that despite Morgana's quick alliance with Alvarr and Mordred, she still wasn't fine with wiping out everyone who serves Uther. She is definetely siding with her own, but she doesn't forget those who have been by her side in the past. It made her look a bit more human in her evilness, the witch is quickening but it's not 100% there yet.
    illegalferret wrote:
    Nice to see more interaction between Arther and Morgana I've missed it this series, not the romance between them but the brother/sister relationship.
    Indeed, it wasn't much but hey.

Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    The show needs Arthur to find out about Merlin. Otherwise their relationship cannot progress any further. The huge secret between them means they can never be genuinely close friends.
    Looks like it's gonna be used as a cliffhanger at the end of the season or just postponed until next one to be explored then. In any case, I can't wait!

Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    I am also not sure that enough has been done to explain why Morgana would, pretty much without a thought, help someone she doesn't know to destroy her home, and everyone she has known and loved - Gwen and Arthur particularly. Uther is more understandable, but even there she has always been conflicted about him.
    I can somehow understand her. She feels terribly alone and misunderstood. Hiding who you really are every day must certainly undermine yourself. No wonder her character and her mood are changeable. She has no one to rely on, no one to go for advice, no one to guide her, no one to protect her (she knows Merlin knows, but she doesn't know about Merlin's powers and without them, he doesn't look like a master or protector). Her alienation is becoming huge and only those whom Uther hates seem to accept her and care for her, like the Druids or Morgause. I'm not sure that she would have fold that easily not being because Alvarr brought Mordred to beg. She is in a rollercoaster of emotions, and even though I missed a bit more hesitation I see why she is starting to show her true colours.

Geordiegirl1967 wrote:
    One plot foible - won't anyone ask the guards who drugged them? Then it will be clear that it was Morgana.
    Indeed. And also, how come it was only Merlin who could listen to Mordred as he was guiding Alvarr to Morgana's chambers? Morgana should have been able to listen as well.

boom-moo

[13]Dec 6, 2009
    sramv9 wrote:
    wondered if it might have some historical meaning in that context?
    No idea, sounds like a bizarre choice of title indeed.

boom-moo

[15]Dec 6, 2009
    Then it makes a lot of sense, thanks for the research and filling us in

Yaspaa

[16]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 79
    Morgana hitting puberty, you know, magically. (obviously)

boom-moo

[17]Dec 7, 2009
    I dunno if you guys have heard Johnny Capps in the last Secrets and Magic but he puts it really nicely what's going through Morgana's heart and Morgana's mind. The episode always make more sense after I listen to him.