Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

3x01 'The Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 1' discussion thread

boom-moo

[61]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 75
    dpebbleson wrote:
    It's a brilliant season opener. If I thought S2 was great, then this episode testifies to the fact that S3 has the potential to be even greater.

dpebbleson wrote:
    The show is definitely more adult, as promised, and besides darker characterization, it features a definitely more mature relationship between Morgause and Cenred, featuring some striking innuendo, such as swords and 'pleasing' someone.

leapinglucas wrote:
    I love all those layers to these characters. Really raises it all above the level of benign family entertainment.

I totally agree with you guys, there. The season is really promising! I think some lighter episodes should be in order to serve as comical relieves and balance out with the darkness and adult themes exposed so far. Sounds like a great mix to look forward to
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KenBacklund

[62]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 4
    So do you think the Dragon will break the chains without efforts, or will there be a combined effort from Merlin with guidance of Dragon to break them? ;-)

And what is this chest scene you're talking about, what did i miss??

ellac4

[63]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 5

leapinglucas wrote:
    Even in the sanitised world of family TV, we have seen that Gaius has witnessed some horrendous ethic cleansing, first-hand. And yet, I feel he does have some level of admiration for Uther which I think has a little more basis than it's expedient for Gaius and Camelot.

I wonder if Gauis' admiration for Uther as king speaks to just how bad the previous king was or how bad things were with magic before the Purge. He told Merlin once that Uther had brought peace and prosperity to Camelot.

boom-moo

[64]Sep 11, 2010
    KenBacklund wrote:
    So do you think the Dragon will break the chains without efforts, or will there be a combined effort from Merlin with guidance of Dragon to break them? ;-)
    I have no idea but I don't think we will get to see either. I imagine Merlin will be next shown at the Dragon's den already freed from the chains and putting up with the Dragon's riddles.

KenBacklund wrote:
    And what is this chest scene you're talking about, what did i miss??
    When Arthur takes off his shirt in his chamber, the scene where he shows Merlin how well acquainted he is with cloths and buckets

leapinglucas

[65]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 3

ellac4 wrote:
    I wonder if Gauis' admiration for Uther as king speaks to just how bad the previous king was or how bad things were with magic before the Purge. He told Merlin once that Uther had brought peace and prosperity to Camelot.

Yes. In fact he even went further than that, I think. Merlin asked Gaius' whether he thought Uther was a good king, and Gauis answered, "yes." But I do think boom-moo is spot on in that Gaius' has chosen to remain a close and trusted confidant to the King, partly because it allows him access to actively derail the worst atrocities. It's a narrow path he walks.

madison188

[66]Sep 11, 2010

Great premiere, loved all the arthur/merlin banter. I just got tired of Morgana's smirk...lol In public was a bit of a stretch, after uthor's speech at dinner, BAM theres the look of disgust and smirk. But the cgi has improved immensely. Can't wait till next week.

Asesia

[67]Sep 11, 2010
    kk Just finished watching it... WOW! AMAZING!

I don't know where to begin so i will just talk about the few things that really stuck out to me .

Uthers visions. The well scene and Uthers reaction where done so well! It really creeped me out. Anthony screaming and laying on the ground just gave me the chills. And with the little boy, just wow. Claps for Anthony!

Morgana. From killing the guard to the evil smirk. She has evil downpat lmao. She was brilliant throughout the whole thing. During the scene where Morgana meets up with Morgause for the first time in the episode, And it did the close up of morgauses' eyes and mouth from morganas point of view, all i could think of was that Katie is going to have a fieldday if she is in the DVD commentary for that ep. What with her slashy ways. But I love the relationship that has developed between Morgana and Morgause.

I just adored the banter between Merlin and Arthur. Made me laugh. And the interaction between Arthur and Morgana was lovely. there were a few cheezy moments, but hey, whats merlin without a bit of Cheese . Ok ill stop now! lmao

boom-moo

[68]Sep 11, 2010
    I forgot to mention that Morgause enchants another mandrake root before visiting Cenred and convincing him to join her and attack Camelot. Cenred doesn't show any sign of being enchanted but do you guys think Morgause is taking a hold of his will in a lesser way than with Uther? She can't weaken Cenred since he needs him to fight in the war, but she might just enchant him slightly so he conceeds to her wishes. Or maybe she just makes him lust for her and that's another good way for a woman to bribe a man into something.

madison188

[69]Sep 11, 2010

i don't think she controlled him or influenced him through the root, i think it was just Uther. Morgana constantly changed the root after that black crap leaked off. I thought Morgause was just creating another charm soley for Uther.

boom-moo

[70]Sep 11, 2010
    Yeah, I just rewatched and Morgana seems to replace the root. The more interesting if it's just Morgause's 'charm' put to good use.

Asesia

[71]Sep 11, 2010
    Does anyone know where I can find some good fan reviews. Like on livejournal or something? Fan reviews really interest me and i'm hopeless at finding them and have no idea how to navigate livejournal.

But from what I've read, like comments on youtube and IMDB, the episode has been a huge success! And a lot of people are preferring merlin over Doctor who now . The only really bad thing I've read about is Morganas evil grins, but hey you get that.

Auriken

[72]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 9

Is it just me or is her transformation a little TOO strong. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that she was a really kind person that wouldn't harm anyone unless they were trying to harm her or her friends. Now she's personally murdering innocent people who have no role in the killing of her kind, and she's manipulating those she once cared for very cruelly. She's done a complete 180 and it is kind of hard to believe that she just became that way in a year.

I don't know about you guys, but I think there's another factor here that hasn't shown itself yet. I'm not saying it's impossible to go from really nice to really cruel, but Morgana? She's absolutely nothing like the woman who just last season demanded that Uther send an army to save a single serving girl.

I must say though...Katie was always beautiful, but she's smoking hot when she's evil.

leapinglucas

[73]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 3

Asesia wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can find some good fan reviews.

I've always liked Television Without Pity for its in-depth reviews. The only downside is that recently, in their US-centric wisdom, the moderators decided to make a forum that was initially UK-based, a UK/US hybrid and decreed that everything must be spoiler-tagged until the episodes air in the US.

Still, if you don't mind the Black Bars of Doom: http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3177157&st=1800

Asesia

[74]Sep 12, 2010

ahh thanks! mm the black boxes can get annoying but meh. Thanks!

Also I just thought ild post this. Its a compilation of Morgana's evil smirks in the episode LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Eti43mVlA

Edit: After watching the episode for a 3rd time (lolol i know i know obsessive much) just some things I noticed:
    -I wonder why they didn't play more with the idea that people with Magic could hear the Mandrake scream. It would have been awesome if Merlin found it by hearing it scream.
    -Katie looked stunning at the banquet.
    -Camelot only has one song that is played at banquets.
    -Someone can survive after a stab wound AND a fall from a large height.
    -One thing I don't understand at the end. When merlin calls for the dragon, his been poisoned and its mid-late day. Yet when the dragon comes, it is night time, Merlin is still hanging on AND the serketshaven'tattacked even after being only a few feet from him. Strange.
    -You know you've watched the episodes enough times when you can pin point clips that go for 2 seconds that are from eariler episodes
    -My god Cenred has a big army.
    -I can see some major Sister Slash happening this season
    -They have found a few new rooms to use it seems.

Edited on 09/12/2010 12:14am
    Edited 2 total times.

ericsprau

[75]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 11
    Wow, what an opener! You guys sure didn't waste any time getting to talking about it. My comments are as follows:

Wasting no time with the bare chestiness of Arthur!

Also wasting no time with the mysterious missing guard at night that allows Morgana to leave undetected. Maybe it's the lack of soldiers caused by the year-long search.

Is that Sir Leon in Uther's chambers helping him put his armor on?

Oh wow! Morgana! Just when I thought she was caught, BAM! She kills a sentry! Talk about graduating to full villain status. I guess we were right on that one, Esther!

Cenred doesn't look so much a king as a knight himself. Maybe I've just grown so use to the large, older kings from previous seasons that he seems out of place.

Ok, so she didn't kill the sentry just yet. He looks an awful lot like Evan from "The Labyrinth of Gedref" lying there in Gaius' quarters. At least to me anyhow.

Go go Merlin the spy! He's getting good at creeping around behind people in the dark.

Oops, spoke too son. Merlin got caught! How are magical sparkly chains gonna kill him though?

Morgana really needs to stop sneering. Eventually someone is gonna see her.

Oh hey, it's the serkets again!

More sneering.

He spoke dragon! I thought Kilgharrah wasn't gonna be around for a while though?

That's quite an army. Almost as impressive as the Uruk-hai from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers!

Wow. It got dark out quick. Yet in all that time, the scorpions haven't killed Merlin yet? (lol) Just hurry up and bring the dragon in already, we know he's coming.

DAMNIT! I hate shows that open the season with a two parter! lol

exactimondi

[76]Sep 12, 2010

Asesia wrote:

-One thing I don't understand at the end. When merlin calls for the dragon, his been poisoned and its mid-late day. Yet when the dragon comes, it is night time, Merlin is still hanging on AND the serketshaven'tattacked even after being only a few feet from him. Strange.

Thats exactly what i was wondering, surely the serkets would have attacked by the time it got dark. Perhaps they made it dark to add some excitement and tension? It has confuzzled me a lot, it just doesn't make sense.

pcdsa

[77]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 12

leapinglucas wrote:
    If it wasn't for endless closeups on Morgana's maniacal SmirkOfEvil (Yes okay, we got it. She doesn't mean what she is saying!) it would be practically perfect!

Agreed!

leapinglucas wrote:
    Loved the look he tossed back over his shoulder to Merlin after he had imitated him in the practice arena. Like: "Hey, did you see me? Are you watching me?"

Loved it too!

Auriken wrote:
    Is it just me or is her transformation a little TOO strong. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that she was a really kind person that wouldn't harm anyone unless they were trying to harm her or her friends. Now she's personally murdering innocent people who have no role in the killing of her kind, and she's manipulating those she once cared for very cruelly. She's done a complete 180 and it is kind of hard to believe that she just became that way in a year.

I don't know about you guys, but I think there's another factor here that hasn't shown itself yet. I'm not saying it's impossible to go from really nice to really cruel, but Morgana? She's absolutely nothing like the woman who just last season demanded that Uther send an army to save a single serving girl.

I found it sad that she killed the guard something so against her character in S1 and S2. With the one year on scenario she has had time to change under Morgause's influence. I wonder what she feels for Arthur though. Would she kill him?

Connor91

[78]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 6

I thought it was a great ep. I do hope they don't make Morgana out and out evil though, I like that she just has problems with people who get in her way, not with absolutely everybody. I do love how they have her acting like a little girl around Morgause though, almost idolising her.

Edited on 09/12/2010 2:38am

Connor91

[79]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 6

pcdsa wrote:

I found it sad that she killed the guard something so against her character in S1 and S2. With the one year on scenario she has had time to change under Morgause's influence. I wonder what she feels for Arthur though. Would she kill him?

I don't know, I've always found Morgana to be somewhat selfish. I mean I love her character to death because she seems to have the most flaws of all the main characters (I find Gwen/Merlin/Arthur a tad too Mary Jane) but she always seemed to me to be the kind of character who would do as she wanted and wouldn't feel any real remorse in others getting hurt in the process. S2 Ep 3 comes to mind. I mean if you think in the past she's only really been passionate about things when it has some sort of personal tie to herself, Gwen/Mordred/etc. She seems wholly uninterested if it involves others, for example her unperceptive reaction to Gwen in the episode where Arthur falls in love with another woman and when Arthur is challenged to fight Morgause. I mean I think she has a very strong sense of moral purpose, I don't think she thinks she is being evil/bad, I think she feels like she is genuinely doing the right thing by bringing down Camelot but I think she thinks about things a lot more emotionally than say Arthur or Merlin do. I'm sure Merlin would like Uther to be gotten rid of too so he could practice magic openly, but he wouldn't necessarily want to kill him. Indeed when he had the chance in Sins of the Father, he turned it down. I just think Morgana of S1 and 2 was quite hesitant, perhaps because she was on her own, I think the Morgana now is less hesitant because she actually has somebody there for her. She is however a lot more cunning. I just really hope she doesn't become a 2d villain, I'd like her to perform evil actions but her intentions still be good. Wrong thing for the right reasons etc. The guard wasn't a mindless murder, she was covering her tracks.

Edited on 09/12/2010 2:49am

Yaspaa

[80]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 78
    Really loved the episode. My only small gripe was the overly slapstick stuff with Arthur and Merlin, it felt a bit tacked on to set the main story away. It may just be my acclimation to the new season though.