Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

3x01 'The Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 1' discussion thread

D-syfer

[121]Sep 14, 2010
    • level: 10
    Frenz9 wrote:
    Great episode, even had a great finish.

I must admit though that i am getting slightly frustrated with this show, 3 seasons in and they are still hiding merlins powers and using the same puns between merlin & arthur. I think it is time Arthur found out about merlins power it has been dragging for a long time.

Well, like Johnny Capps said this is not the season for Merlin to reveal his magic. We will get a reveal someday and I bet it will be something we will not expect. Maybe around season 4 or 5. But I don't think they'll do it this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ericsprau

[122]Sep 14, 2010
    • level: 11
    boom-moo wrote:
    Edit: OMG yes, the Facebook style reviews from the Torch online are back! 3x01 here

Damnit I just thought to check that and here you are, beating me to the punch again! lol

dpebbleson

[123]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 23
    Frenz9 wrote:
    Great episode, even had a great finish.

I must admit though that i am getting slightly frustrated with this show, 3 seasons in and they are still hiding merlins powers and using the same puns between merlin & arthur. I think it is time Arthur found out about merlins power it has been dragging for a long time.

Could not agree more.

cassiop_yeaaah

[124]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 7

It's never too late to give a review lol. I liked this episode. Great story line, great scene betwen Arthur/Merlin etc everything that has been said so far.

I was a little desapointed by Morgana. I like the fact that she has become evil but it's not very subtle. We know right away that she is totally on the dark side. I would have loved if she had hide her feelings a little more (like if we don't really know on which side she is). And she has to slow down with all the smirk... she is evil, ok we got that. I was also surprised with the fact that we see more Sir Leon than Gwen on this episode lol.

dpebbleson wrote:
    Frenz9 wrote:
    Great episode, even had a great finish. I must admit though that i am getting slightly frustrated with this show, 3 seasons in and they are still hiding merlins powers and using the same puns between merlin & arthur. I think it is time Arthur found out about merlins power it has been dragging for a long time.
    Could not agree more.
    I think everyone agree But I have hope. I don't know why but I like the way Merlin is defending himself in the scene where Arthur make fun of how Merlin hide during the fight. Instead of letting go, Merlin actually tells him that he wasn't hiding and that he was doing something. Of couse he doesn't say what exactly but I like this reaction. He doesn't tell him that he has magic but he try to explain that he is not the lazy servant Arthur think he is. Or maybe it is just me... but I think it is the first time he react like that.

boom-moo

[125]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 75
    In most reviews I've read people complain about the Arthur/Merlin scenes looking like a reset (when Colin said there wasn't one this season) but I also think Merlin was a step forward his old self. He also called him fat when his bottom was sore (Arthur didn't take it well in 2x09 and this time he wasn't bothered about it), then dollop head (Arthur didn't take the clotpole well in 2x01 and this time he seemed amused about it) and lol, he got his revenge on Arthur when he let the knight beat him! I'll wait and see until we get some further Merlin/Arthur.

pcdsa

[126]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 12

cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    I don't know why but I like the way Merlin is defending himself in the scene where Arthur make fun of how Merlin hide during the fight. Instead of letting go, Merlin actually tells him that he wasn't hiding and that he was doing something. Of couse he doesn't say what exactly but I like this reaction. He doesn't tell him that he has magic but he try to explain that he is not the lazy servant Arthur think he is. Or maybe it is just me... but I think it is the first time he react like that.

I wonder what he would have told Arthur if Arthur had asked what he actually did in the fight. Also in 2.13 he said to Arthur "Do you know how many times I've saved your royal backside?" owtte - that was the beginning of his hinting that he is more than a servant to Arthur.

leapinglucas

[127]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 3

Frenz9 wrote:

ITA. They run the risk that other shows have suffered. A character reacts a certain way in the first season or two -- in this case, Arthur never twigs to unexplained things -- or is looking the other way, passed out, asleep, whatever -- and the audience kind of accepts it.

But when that character is still doing the same thing in season 4 or 5, they just start to look really stupid and the audience loses respect for them. I think it's important that we see the future king of England as smart, observant, sensitive and on a continual path of growth. If he never changes or grows over the course of 4 or 5 seasons and they have to keep inventing ways to keep him in the dark while still having Merlin perform more and more magic in his presence, it just looks contrived and Arthur looks like a myopic egomaniac. Essentially, what works at the start of a series won't continue to work as the series goes on -- so they can't just keep the status quo.

There was a time when I wanted, as an audience member, to see the "Arthur learns about Merlin's magic" reveal. I wanted to witness the moment. Now as the series goes on, for the sake of Arthur's character, I'm starting to wish that at some time we find out that Arthur has known for quite a while and has been covering for Merlin ever since. Stuff like those "you're an IDIOT!" moments or Arthur's mumbling Merlin's name in the cave when he was revealing too much to Balinor. It might also explain why Arthur keeps sending Merlin alone into dangerous situations while the knights hang back, because he knows he can handle it. Maybe it's supposed to be comedic, but Arthur just starts to look like a bit of an insensitive jerk. Buckets on heads are one thing, mortal danger is another.

ETA: boom-moo: Thanks for link to Facebook review. They are hysterical! Loved "poor man's Aragorn" and "hey, did you see me sword fighting Merlin? Huh? Did you see me? What'd ya think? Pretty good, right Merlin? Pretty slick!"

Seems everyone notices those cute little bromance moments

Edited on 09/15/2010 3:07pm

boom-moo

[128]Sep 15, 2010
    You are welcome, check the ones for series 2, they are really funny too!

dpebbleson

[129]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 23
    leapinglucas wrote:

Frenz9 wrote:

ITA. They run the risk that other shows have suffered. A character reacts a certain way in the first season or two -- in this case, Arthur never twigs to unexplained things -- or is looking the other way, passed out, asleep, whatever -- and the audience kind of accepts it.

But when that character is still doing the same thing in season 4 or 5, they just start to look really stupid and the audience loses respect for them. I think it's important that we see the future king of England as smart, observant, sensitive and on a continual path of growth. If he never changes or grows over the course of 4 or 5 seasons and they have to keep inventing ways to keep him in the dark while still having Merlin perform more and more magic in his presence, it just looks contrived and Arthur looks like a myopic egomaniac. Essentially, what works at the start of a series won't continue to work as the series goes on -- so they can't just keep the status quo.

There was a time when I wanted, as an audience member, to see the "Arthur learns about Merlin's magic" reveal. I wanted to witness the moment. Now as the series goes on, for the sake of Arthur's character, I'm starting to wish that at some time we find out that Arthur has known for quite a while and has been covering for Merlin ever since. Stuff like those "you're an IDIOT!" moments or Arthur's mumbling Merlin's name in the cave when he was revealing too much to Balinor. It might also explain why Arthur keeps sending Merlin alone into dangerous situations while the knights hang back, because he knows he can handle it. Maybe it's supposed to be comedic, but Arthur just starts to look like a bit of an insensitive jerk. Buckets on heads are one thing, mortal danger is another.

As always when these things are concerned, I couldn't agree more.

camelotkitty12

[130]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 5

hello? I made a post a few minutes ago but it didn't go thru.

I just said I was able to watch this ep online, and I also found and printed out the subtitles for this episode, and I have since watched it at least 4 times. I LOVED it!!!

Well...there were a few things. I didn't care for Arthur calling merlin a "girl's petticoat". And King Cenred-- we finally got to see him...but he was younger than I thought he'd be, and it looks like Morgause rules HIM, instead of the other way round.

Morgause stirring a mandrake root in her cauldron? I absolutely laughed when they did that scene. This isn't harry potter, not by a long shot.

Morgana hugging King Uther-- I did love that. I loved the scene in arthur's chambers where Merlin was scrubbing the floor and he tried to stop Arthur from going further...

The dragon came to Merlin, because Merlin had used his dragonlord voice, to call him. I'm so glad to see that. I hope the dragon (kilgarrah is its name) will help with the battle.

see you next week!!

Edited on 09/16/2010 12:05pm

boom-moo

[131]Sep 16, 2010
    Hello camelotkitty12 and welcome around

Please read the Posting Rules entry for guidance on how to move yourself around the forum or pm me if you have any doubt.

Hope you have fun around.

camelotkitty12

[132]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 5
    thanks boom-moo!!

boom-moo

[133]Sep 16, 2010
    Anytime Hope to see you around!

ericsprau

[134]Sep 16, 2010
    Esther:

Just a quick note, I've been informed that we are missing Alvarr and Lancelot in the 'pedia. I have Alvarr entry from pcdsa, but no information for Lancelot.

I'm missing The Apprentice! ARGH!

Ultimately I really enjoyed the episode, will probably rewatch it before this weeks ep airs.

boom-moo

[135]Sep 16, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    Esther:

Just a quick note, I've been informed that we are missing Alvarr and Lancelot in the 'pedia. I have Alvarr entry from pcdsa, but no information for Lancelot.
    I have all the entries you assigned me done and saved but Lancelot. I belive I pm-ed you about it or told you somehow. Let's move this somewhere else though, this is 3x01 discussion

ericsprau wrote:
    Ultimately I really enjoyed the episode, will probably rewatch it before this weeks ep airs.
    I will re-re-re-rewatch too That's the good about two parters, you always have an excuse to rewatch (as if we ever need one but hey!)

ericsprau

[136]Sep 16, 2010
    The other entries are all done, we just need Lancelot. ^_^

Seriously, I usually rewatch all the episodes anyway! haha

It's nice to see for a change the sentries doing their jobs and catching someone sneaking around at night though.

boom-moo

[137]Sep 17, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    It's nice to see for a change the sentries doing their jobs and catching someone sneaking around at night though.
    Or for Morgana to notice that she was being followed by Merlin. We had been complaining about that for a long time and we got both in a episode.

ericsprau

[138]Sep 17, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    ericsprau wrote:
    Or for Morgana to notice that she was being followed by Merlin. We had been complaining about that for a long time and we got both in a episode.

Now if Arthur would FINALLY teach Merlin some sword fighting or some sort of defensive maneuvers seeing as they ALWAYS get into a fight with bandits/sorcerers/skeletons (as of this week lol)/wraiths/knights/mythical creatures.

boom-moo

[139]Sep 18, 2010
    ericsprau wrote:
    Now if Arthur would FINALLY teach Merlin some sword fighting or some sort of defensive maneuvers seeing as they ALWAYS get into a fight with bandits/sorcerers/skeletons (as of this week lol)/wraiths/knights/mythical creatures.
    Something that really annoys me is how Merlin is always by Arthur's side, joining him in all kind of risky missions and hence being involved in fights and whatnot all the time and he doesn't even have a chainmail or a cheap armour. I know the Merlin look is kind of a trademark one and that Merlin is 'just a servant' but after he got a chainmail in 1x10 he hasn't gotten anything else at all and he has been into far worse. Arthur cares for him, he should let him wear something more appropriate in certain occasions.

pcdsa

[140]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 12

Yeah if Merlin isn't given any armour then he isn't expected to fight so he should be hiding for cover. So what's Arthur complaining about?