Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

3x02 'The Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 2' discussion thread

leapinglucas

[121]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 3

I agree with Connor91. In fact when I wrote my ToUP review I got to the end of it and realised I had forgot to mention my impressions of Arthur/Gwen, and then realised I didn't really know what to say about it. They were still holding hands, gazing into each others eyes (which they do very well) and she was telling him she trusts him more than Uther. It made so little impression on me I forgot to remember that this was Arthur/Gwen a year on. There was absolutely no sense of time having passed, no sense of the things they had shared in the intervening time.

When you look at the Arthur Merlin scenes, to some degree they were still up to the same old double act -- Merlin teasing Arthur and Arthur bullying Merlin. But there was much more of a sense of practiced familiarity there, and Merlin had progressed from cowtowed underling to mouthy and confrontational, clearly used to getting his own back, even in front of the knights. So whatever your personal opinion about the persistence of Bully!Arthur as a character trait, at least there was a sense of progression there.

I think they might have found a similar perspective on the Arthur Gwen relationship, but there just never seems to be that much thought put into it. It makes you think that when they were writing up the Bible for this show, under Guinevere it just says: Arthur's future Queen but loves Lancelot -- and their scenes are a replay of, "I like you but there's something in the way of our love." Just over and over again. It gets really tiring. I think my brain just shuts down after a while because it's not getting any new input.

It also occurs to me that every time someone tells Arthur, "I trust you more than Uther" or "When you are King, things will be different," it means they are basically looking forward to a time when Arthur loses his father somehow. And Arthur is clearly a boy who loves his Dad, so it's no wonder that these well-meant assurances just make Arthur feel uncomfortable and he resists the idea with all his heart.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[122]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 75
    leapinglucas wrote:
    It also occurs to me that every time someone tells Arthur, "I trust you more than Uther" or "When you are King, things will be different," it means they are basically looking forward to a time when Arthur loses his father somehow. And Arthur is clearly a boy who loves his Dad, so it's no wonder that these well-meant assurances just make Arthur feel uncomfortable and he resists the idea with all his heart.
    Instead of writing 2x10 again (we love each other but it can't be) that's one of the things the writers could play with more, explore more. Arthur is certainly trapped in a diatribe there. Uther killed Gwen's father so Gwen can't stand the sight of him. Arthur looks up on his father and despite some disagreements, he certainly loves him and feels unprepared to take over him. Maybe it's me but I have never felt like Arthur felt uncomfortable with the thought when Gwen or Merlin have pointed out at him that there'll be a time when he'll be able to decide. Sometimes he seemed hopeful, others irritated at the fact that he couldn't expect Gwen to wait for as long as that might take. But I have never felt like he was pushing the disturbing idea to the back of his mind. Have you, guys? And in what scene/s?

D-syfer

[123]Sep 24, 2010
    • level: 10
    I have a question. It's a bit silly but, have you ever wondered where Merlin got stang by the big scorpion thing? Morgana got stang on the leg, how come they didn't show where Merlin got stang?

boom-moo

[124]Sep 24, 2010
    I think somewhere in his left backside, I remember watching in slo-mo to try and find out but it can't be seen. He is distrated casting a spell while looking to his right side, so the Serket that approaches from his left side stings him. Merlin jerks backwards, so the injury must be somewhere at his back and to the left, be it lower back, left leg or bum lol

pcdsa

[125]Sep 24, 2010
    • level: 12

Connor91 wrote:
    Even if this progression is something like Gwen meeting a fellow male servant who she starts a relationship with or something. I mean what she said to Arthur in 3x02 is pretty much the exact same thing she said to Arthur in 2x02, its not even like in the year thats passed she's moved on to liking somebody else or anything. She's just recycling the same lines to him. And given how the series ended with them together, with Gaius and Merlin both aware of their feelings for each other I thought at the start of series 3 we'd at least see something to have happened.

I too wouldn't like to see Guinevere with someone else especially as we know she will later two-step with a future knight of the round table... Her hug in 2.13 was so out of character but I saw that as her relief over Arthur's safety overcoming her cautiousness. 3.02 moved slightly in that she touched Arthur's arm something she would not have considered doing in 2.06 (which for me is more similar to 3.02). But I agree it would be nice to see more progression in S3.

leapinglucas wrote:

I also don't think this is so. Although Arthur clearly loves Uther and remains loyal, there have been many times when he has disagreed with Uther and would do things very differently when he is king.

ellac4

[126]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 5

All the talk in this episode about the citadel and the lower town of Camelot made me wonder about a few things geographical and architectural. What do we know about the layout of Camelot? Since there's the lower town, presumably there's also the "upper town." When they refer to the citadel, does that mean just the castle? On the distance CGI shots of Camelot, they depict some fortified walls away from the actual castle. How much of the city is supposed to be within the walls?

And where does Gwen live?

Any ideas?

(Yes, it's a slow, lazy Sunday afternoon. Can you tell? )

boom-moo

[127]Sep 26, 2010
    As I see it, there's the castle and the lower town (no upper town whatsoever for some reason). The lower town extends from the castle walls to the fortified walls away from the castle. The citadel is the castle itself, by definition the fortified area that serves as last stronghold for those who seek refuge. Gwen lives in the lower town.