Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

3x03 'Goblin's Gold' discussion thread

WitchyWeasel88

[41]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 14

dpebbleson wrote:
    Also, the bracelet is now lost? Or not?

Well it was with the rest of the gold so I suppose she could have got it back at the end. I'm wondering how/if Merlin managed to get the magic book back if gobin Gaius handed it to Uther?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[42]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 23
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    Also, the bracelet is now lost? Or not?

Well it was with the rest of the gold so I suppose she could have got it back at the end. I'm wondering how/if Merlin managed to get the magic book back if gobin Gaius handed it to Uther?

And knowing Uther he probably burned it...

And wasn't there another book on magic in that hidden room? I think I saw some such book.

WitchyWeasel88

[43]Sep 26, 2010

dpebbleson wrote:
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:

I'm wondering how/if Merlin managed to get the magic book back if gobin Gaius handed it to Uther?

And knowing Uther he probably burned it... And wasn't there another book on magic in that hidden room? I think I saw some such book.

You know that just occurred to me and I was about to add it. You're probably right and he'll go and get that one. Maybe it'll have some interesting new spells . . . such as how to best postpone de-donkeyfication for comedic effect.

Edited on 09/26/2010 4:11am
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[44]Sep 26, 2010
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    WitchyWeasel88 wrote:

I'm wondering how/if Merlin managed to get the magic book back if gobin Gaius handed it to Uther?

And knowing Uther he probably burned it... And wasn't there another book on magic in that hidden room? I think I saw some such book.

You know that just occurred to me and I was about to add it. You're probably right and he'll go and get that one. Maybe it'll have some interesting new spells . . . such as how to best postpone de-donkeyfication for comedic effect.

They did say his magic was getting more powerful this season. And knowing them, if he really took that book, we're gonna see it more, just like we saw Sophia's staff, or the other book.

And one thing that was excellent as well: the props. They always have amazing props. A library feels like library, Gaius' chambers of science really feel like a scientist's mess with potions, books, apparatuses and whatnot.

illegalferret

[45]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 25

A new spell book would be good, because he must have read the old one inside out by now!

I think some said earlier that they thought that Morgana would have had enough of a grasp on her magic now not to need Morgause's bracelet, i agree i was surprised to find out she still needs it and seeing as most of her vision showed her the downfall of Camelot why does she not want to see them?

Asesia

[46]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 5
    Im pretty sure the book that gaius gives Uther is the Magic book from the secret room cause there is a scene where we see goblin gaius go and get it. So i guess Merlin still has the good old one. but maybe they were able to smuggle the new one out so he has both? who knows

WitchyWeasel88

[47]Sep 26, 2010

Asesia wrote:
    Im pretty sure the book that gaius gives Uther is the Magic book from the secret room cause there is a scene where we see goblin gaius go and get it. So i guess Merlin still has the good old one. but maybe they were able to smuggle the new one out so he has both? who knows

*face palm* My memory is either appalling or extremely over-retentive with no middle ground. Given I haven't yet re-watched (shame on me) the former is probably the case here. That would certainly make sense. Pity, I rather fancied the idea of Merlin having more magical resources at his disposal, although I suppose one book is very much like another when it comes to episode storytelling.

dpebbleson

[48]Sep 26, 2010
    I've just rewatched the episode. Asesia is right.

It must be her Morgana avatar that is making miracles memory-wise

madison188

[49]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 4

I think she's comfortable with the downfall of CAmelot and her magic but those dreams are a symptom, an unpleasant one at that. I would use that bracelet as well, i wouldn't want to constantly see the future. My only concern is if we will get to see Morgana actually say and spell and do more than yell and slam something into the ground, i mean it has been a year.......lol

Asesia

[50]Sep 26, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    It must be her Morgana avatar that is making miracles memory-wise

I actually re-watch episodes looking for good Morgana avatars and I guess that helped with my memory ! so you are right there lolol. But i think i'll have to ditch Morgana this week for something that just makes me crack up every time i see it.

WitchyWeasel88

[51]Sep 26, 2010

Okay, I have rewatched now. I'd normally wait at least a day but the call of daftness was impossible to resist. It cracked me up yet again. I'm still not overly fond of the farting jokes but I think that's more to do with the fact that I've seen them overused on other shows rather than this particular instance, which was actually not too bad. It's just that humour is something it is impossible to look at objectively. This episode wins hands down over many shows that are supposed to be considered 'funny' these days and we all need to feed our immature side at times. . . right. I know I positively gorge mine .

I know I'm only repeating what's gone before but, this episode was some well welcome light-relief after the darker first two episodes. It was also another oportunity for the actors to showcase their comedic talents. Some of the facial expressions in this episode had me in creases. Richard Wilson goes without saying as anyone who has watched 'One Foot in the Grave' will testify to (must dig out my DVDs of that), but the rest of the cast were excellent too. I loved Colin in the first goblin scene. It's to the show's credit that it can get away with such extreme episodes as this and still retain the balance of drama and humour in a series. There are a few other programmes that can, but not very many.

ciry89

[52]Sep 26, 2010

i've just re-watched it for the secon time: it' s fantastic!!!! Uther's hat conquered my heart I really enjoyed it,I didn't expect!

camelotkitty12

[53]Sep 26, 2010

aesia I LOVE your new avatar. The hat.....I'm going bonkers just looking at it. Poor Uther. And I don't think Anthony shaved his head...I think he's wearing a bald wig, tho you just cannot see it as one...which is a credit to the make-up artists on this show. In the last scene he has all his hair back, intact.

And Bradley James with the predictable chest scene...the writers just love that so they find excuses and reasons to do it. When has MERLIN ever beenshirtless? I've never seen that yet. have you?

ciry89

[54]Sep 26, 2010

Arthur' scenes where he's sleeping shirtless make me feel so cold!!! Really! He's handsome, obviously, but, come on, he sleeps shirtless in every atmospheric condition: winter, summer, don't matter! It's just for female audience :/

WitchyWeasel88

[55]Sep 26, 2010

camelotkitty12 wrote:
    And Bradley James with the predictable chest scene...the writers just love that so they find excuses and reasons to do it. When has MERLIN ever beenshirtless? I've never seen that yet. have you?

Yes, they're definitely pandering to their female audience there, but barechest Arthur brandishing his sword (no innuendo intended), I for one won't complain Although credit where credit's due, they did get him pretty thoroughly covered up again this time.

@camelotkitty - Merlin has been shirtless once, in episode 1, "The Dragon's Call", when he's sat on the bed with Gaius after the fight with Arthur in the marketplace and Gaius tends to him.

Edited on 09/26/2010 9:26am

pcdsa

[56]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 12

Asesia wrote:
    But i think i'll have to ditch Morgana this week for something that just makes me crack up every time i see it.

How about this?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended when posting these pictures. Merlin is property of BBC and Shine Ltd.)

ellac4

[57]Sep 26, 2010

ciry89 wrote:

Arthur' scenes where he's sleeping shirtless make me feel so cold!!! Really! He's handsome, obviously, but, come on, he sleeps shirtless in every atmospheric condition: winter, summer, don't matter!)

But have we ever seen Camelot in winter? I mean, sure, they wear cloaks all the time. And once Uther even wore that strange and hideous cowhide cloak (the one Anthony Head said almost choked him.) But how about some snow on the castle battlements? (I've seen a picture of Pierrefonds covered in snow -- GORGEOUS!)

Oh, wait. Then Arthur would wear a shirt. Never mind. Let perpetual summer continue!

And Arthur's battle with the bedsheets -- priceless!

boom-moo

[58]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 75
    After reading all the comments I'm sorry to say I'm the only not thrilled with the episode. I understand that it was a filler and all, so it's meant to be taken lightly, but I'm highly disappointed. If you take out the gags, what do we get? Arthur not giving a darn about Merlin's life when he is accused of using magic. Not a blink, not a doubt, not a single moment of hesitance. After all they've gone through so far... nothing. Arthur is so not ready for the reveal, sadly. He needs proof over believing Merlin's word. And that is really frustrating.

It was obvious he was meant to make the goblin give himself away in the scene with Gaius where he speaks so lowly of Merlin, but I missed getting a hint of what made Arthur change his mind. They jumped from him arresting Merlin to him setting Gaius up. To me, there was a gap there that needed to be filled somehow.

Now, focusing on the comedy, there was too much farting and burping. They did that in the troll episodes, so they could have resorted to other funny aspects like the baldness (omg the hat!), the donkey ears, the headslaps, the blisters... that was a kind of comedy much more welcome to me. The bringing someone to the brink of death, the last minute recovery of the antidote… all done as well. Meh, they could have some more work in the script for this one, and improved vastly the results.

Probably what I loved most was Morgana's very pleased look when Merlin was sentenced to death, Merlin's distress over saving Gaius' life and Merlin being mean to Arthur at the end.

All in all, a very weak episode to me.

dpebbleson

[59]Sep 26, 2010
    Your remarks stand, they are quite reasonable. But I think of this episode as some kind of those "Pudsey the Bear" gags, only longer: it's sort of a farce, making fun of themselves. Usually in such episodes no one behaves, walks and talks like they usually do. It's a farce, and characters are depicted like caricatures of the people they usually represent in the show - like Arthur is virtually a royal ass, Uther is extremely magic-allergic, the knight (Sir Leon) is over-the-top proud of his position, and so on and so forth.

What I'm trying to say is that somehow I don't understand this episode as taking part in the continuity of the programme. It's more isolated fun intended for relief. (Therefore Arthur and Guinevere dialogue: let's not speak about this again...)

As for the fun I quite enjoyed it. But that's a matter of tastes, of course.

And yeah, Uther's hat was legendary!!!

boom-moo

[60]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 75
    dpebbleson wrote:
    What I'm trying to say is that somehow I don't understand this episode as taking part in the continuity of the programme. It's more isolated fun intended for relief.
    I should try and see it in that light too but after a whole week waiting for a new episode, getting so much little to go on for another week feels a bit frustrating to me.