Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

3x04 'Gwaine' discussion thread

illegalferret

[61]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 25

Ok quick little review from me as i've got lesson plans and the like to write

I loved it! Yes it was quite bit like Lancelot, but like Esther that didn't stop me enjoying it one bit. The Arthur/Merlin relationship was back they were looking out for each other and having a laugh (the bit play fight at the end made me smile). Arthur is back standing up for people in public (yay!), Gwaine was lovely in the words of a txt sent to me by a friend during this episode "oh i say new Knight, yes please, come and save me" he's like Lancelot only lessnobleand quite a bit more fun! Liked how Guinevere brushed off his advances (i too noticed the new dress!). Gwaine HAS to come back he's far to much fun for 1 episode oh and how good does next week look! Dark or what!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Liviana178

[62]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 3

I really loved and enjoyed the episode and, although I liked the third one, too, I prefer the kind of light-hearted episode like this one.

As I can see there are again different opinions regarding the episode (which I won't say isn't good). I don't know, maybe I'm not as critical as some of you but while I'm watching the episodes I'm not criticizingthem that much. I just watch it and at the end I can say which scenes I liked and which not. Otherwise I would fear that I won't like the episode anymore although I liked it after watching it.

Just my opinion .

pcdsa

[63]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 12
    Connor91 wrote:
    Gwaine is absolutely gorgeous lol. I thought the episode was good, although I was expecting one of the two thugs to turn into Merlin seeing as in theory they had his blood.

Ah but the blood was on the sword and not on the crystal.

WitchyWeasel88

[64]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 14

Liviana178 wrote:
    As I can see there are again different opinions regarding the episode (which I won't say isn't good). I don't know, maybe I'm not as critical as some of you but while I'm watching the episodes I'm not criticizingthem that much. I just watch it and at the end I can say which scenes I liked and which not. Otherwise I would fear that I won't like the episode anymore although I liked it after watching it.

Just my opinion .

That's exactly how I watch them too .

pcdsa wrote:
    Connor91 wrote:
    Gwaine is absolutely gorgeous lol. I thought the episode was good, although I was expecting one of the two thugs to turn into Merlin seeing as in theory they had his blood.
    Ah but the blood was on the sword and not on the crystal.

They could have rubbed the crystal in the blood on the sword but I guess they didn't want to alter their plan. Although posing as Arthur's servant might enable one of them to get closer to him, whoever changed would probably be unable to change back so you would have a disappearing knight. Also they would be unable to pass off Arthur's death as an accident in the melee, as Merlin.

Edited on 10/03/2010 5:34am

boom-moo

[65]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 75
    leapinglucas wrote:
    I really don't get it. And I don't like the idea that kids in classrooms around the world will start emulating their heroes by tossing weighty objects at each others' heads, thinking it's funny.
    Itchy and Scratchy? Roadrunner? Tom and Jerry?.... Most cartoons are violent and kids seems to love it I think that it is not until we are adults that we feel for those who get abused, even if they deserve it.

camelotkitty12 wrote:
    Also---then Gwaine got treated by Gaius, but it was at NITE...So they must have been pretty far outside Camelot?What wereArthur and Merlin doing out there anyway? that's one thing I didn't get.
    They were on a hunting trip, so they could have perfectly gotten quite far from the castle.

pcdsa wrote:
    Did anyone notice Gaius wearing glasses when he treated Merlin's wound? I haven't seen them before.
    He's worn glasses since series 1 I think the ones he was wearing in this episode were new and less Medieval looking, so to speak.

ACDiNosey wrote:
    I'm starting to think that it might be Arthur's clumsy way to let Merlin know that, although they are friends, he is still the master and has the upper hand. Arthur, after all, is a royal prat, and, although a fair one, he may not realise how heavy-handed his attempts to get Merlin not to forget his stature are.
    Arthur is getting better with words, but he is far from being articulate when it comes to expressing his feelings, let alone his feelings towards Merlin. He has been raised in a way that there are masters and servants and a huge gap in between. As Uther reminded him in 1x04, servants are replaceable any time, so I think he subconsciously fights showing the extent of affection/care/friendship that he really feels towards Merlin. Now, I'm not saying that hitting him with a cup is neat, cause it's not, but Arthur is still quite a long way from being ready to treat Merlin as an equal.

BUmistress

[66]Oct 3, 2010

I really like this new Gwaine character. Think he would be a great addition to the cast. Too bad he's going away. For now. Dare I say it... He's hotter than Arthur. Or was it all my imagination? And yeah. Gwen's new dress is lovely! About time too! Hooray!

boom-moo

[67]Oct 3, 2010
    BUmistress wrote:
    He's hotter than Arthur. Or was it all my imagination?
    Not to me but at least we won't fight over a man

Gwen's dress is nice indeed, I think the colour suits her.

ciry89

[68]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 4
    Asesia wrote:

So I finally found the episode to watch. And I loved it! !

Asesia, where have you find it? I've not find it yet

boom-moo

[69]Oct 3, 2010
    ciry89 wrote:
    Asesia wrote:

Please use pms, some things are not allowed to be posted in the forum. Thank you

fernajen

[70]Oct 3, 2010

I really enjoyed this episode. I think Gwaine is cooler than Lancelot.

I felt angry at Arthur for hitting Merlin with that tankard. But on the other hand if Merlin had been able to duck out of the way I probably would've laughed. I think it's great that Merlin is able to sting Arthur's pride. It shows that Arthur cares about what Merlin thinks.

I loved it when Gwaine and Merlin had to polish all those boots. I thought it was fair (well not to Merlin). I just love that Gwaine thinks he being so clever and then it backfires.

Jealous Arthur was great. Then Merlin taunting him over it. "So you're saying she should set her sights higher."

ACDiNosey

[71]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 28

ACDiNosey wrote:
    I'm starting to think that it might be Arthur's clumsy way to let Merlin know that, although they are friends, he is still the master and has the upper hand. Arthur, after all, is a royal prat, and, although a fair one, he may not realise how heavy-handed his attempts to get Merlin not to forget his stature are.
    BoomMoo wrote:
    Arthur is getting better with words, but he is far from being articulate when it comes to expressing his feelings, let alone his feelings towards Merlin. He has been raised in a way that there are masters and servants and a huge gap in between. As Uther reminded him in 1x04, servants are replaceable any time, so I think he subconsciously fights showing the extent of affection/care/friendship that he really feels towards Merlin. Now, I'm not saying that hitting him with a cup is neat, cause it's not, but Arthur is still quite a long way from being ready to treat Merlin as an equal.
    I totally agree, and that's the point I was trying to make, but you said it so much better than I could

Edited on 10/03/2010 7:35am
    Edited 2 total times.

camelotkitty12

[72]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 5

ciry89 wrote:
    Asesia wrote:

Ciry-- I sent you a PM check your inbox ok?

So-- I gather that Gwaine is a nobleman by birth, but he doesn't want to admit it, cus he doesn't want to serve under Uther? Does Arthur know? I still can't figure out how Gwaine ended up in the meelee. I found the subtitles, so---I'm off to do some reading!!! and then i'll watch the episode again. Squeee!! we've got so many links online to choose from, too bad we cannot post them here. How unfortunately absurd. Those 2 knights that changed their form....THAT was brilliant as far as a plot twist. Too bad Morgana didn't have anything better to do, than to just sit at Uther's side and watch the melee.Frown Not that I'm a fan of morgana, but even so...the other actorsgot more lines. toodles!!! great episode.

Darn there's still no trivia/quotes in the quotes section. here.

Edited on 10/03/2010 9:51am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[73]Oct 3, 2010
    camelotkitty12 wrote:
    So-- I gather that Gwaine is a nobleman by birth, but he doesn't want to admit it, cus he doesn't want to serve under Uther? Does Arthur know?
    Arthur doesn't know. And Gwaine doesn't want to serve any king because his father died serving one and his mother was left in poverty. Despite she asked the king her husband died serving for help, she got none. So he is untrusting of kings and resentful.

camelotkitty12 wrote:
    I still can't figure out how Gwaine ended up in the meelee.
    He had no money for drinks but he got a horse and an armour really fast. Maybe he charmed some lady to get them

zeencat

[74]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 10
    boom-moo wrote:
    camelotkitty12 wrote:
    So-- I gather that Gwaine is a nobleman by birth, but he doesn't want to admit it, cus he doesn't want to serve under Uther? Does Arthur know?
    Arthur doesn't know. And Gwaine doesn't want to serve any king because his father died serving one and his mother was left in poverty. Despite she asked the king her husband died serving for help, she got none. So he is untrusting of kings and resentful.

camelotkitty12 wrote:
    I still can't figure out how Gwaine ended up in the meelee.
    He had no money for drinks but he got a horse and an armour really fast. Maybe he charmed some lady to get them

Could of had the armour in his bag he brought to Camelot. I don't think he had the horse in there unless it was a blow up one.

boom-moo

[75]Oct 3, 2010
    zeencat wrote:
    Could of had the armour in his bag he brought to Camelot. I don't think he had the horse in there unless it was a blow up one.
    True, I wondered about what he had in his bag since he said it was all he needed (It didn't look that heavy and I'm not sure Arthur carried it with him in his horse after the brawl but hey ). I like your theory about the blow up horse

camelotkitty12

[76]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 5

zeencat wrote:

Laughing LMAO!!Maybe the bag was a MAGICAL one? Maybe Gwaine has magic powers too--he just doesn't KNOW it? I just watched this ep again. Most enjoyable on megavideo, this time around!! MOST enjoyable!! I'm heading to the tavern, for a proper cup of tea... or maybe some Mead?

Edited on 10/03/2010 12:20pm

ilee1990

[77]Oct 3, 2010
    Anybody have a link to the promo for next week?

boom-moo

[78]Oct 3, 2010
    ilee1990 wrote:
    Anybody have a link to the promo for next week?
    Here you go It's being discussed over at the Spoilers thread in case you are interested.

zeencat

[79]Oct 3, 2010
    The tavern in this ep. I'm sure it's Arthur's room they have just redecorated the set.

boom-moo

[80]Oct 3, 2010
    It totally is. It was redressed into King Alined's room as well and into some other things too. Prop people are really great.