Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

3x04 'Gwaine' discussion thread

cassiop_yeaaah

[141]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 7

I am a bit late and sorry if it has already been said before but I just wanted to talk about the scene when Arthur and Merlin are with the two knights in the courtyard. When Arthur says "this is Merlin" you can see Merlin a little shy with a small smile like "hello, nice to meet you" and then Arthur says "he loves hard work". I don't know but when he realise that he talked about him just for work, I found Colin's face priceless !!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[142]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 75
    Yeah, he seems annoyed. I like better the face Colin pulls when the group go up the stairs and he is like 'awesome that I'm gonna be in call all the time'

pcdsa

[143]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 12

Gwaine

Parchment trajectory

The name Dagr

Pickled eggs ...

CHICKEN...

camelotkitty12

[144]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 5

well I had chicken for dinner....But don't forget the gooey soup!!

Yes I agree-- the look on Colin's face after Sir Oswald said, "believe me, I will" was awesome. Why does Arthur volunteer his servant to help out others, anyway? that seems to be the norm, too. No wonder Merlin gets tired. and hungry.

boom-moo

[146]Oct 10, 2010
    [QUOTE="boom-moo"]I guess that offering your own servant boy to your guests is a really great sign of hospitality. Whoever is serving to the royal family must be really good at their job. I guess that's why Gwen was assigned to tend to Lady Vivian.

Merlin was featured in Points of View, it includes some behind the scenes from this episode and two short interviews with Katie and Angel.

ACDiNosey

[147]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 28
    [QUOTE="boom-moo"]
    boom-moo wrote:

Merlin was featured in Points of View, it includes some behind the scenes from this episode and two short interviews with Katie and Angel.

Wow, very positive. The comments must have confused non-Merlin viewers, though. So BM, which one were you, Major Chudley or Geordie Girl?

boom-moo

[148]Oct 10, 2010
    Lmao, I think my commment didn't went through. I was thankful for the many topless good looking men

dpebbleson

[149]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 23
    Hey Geordie Girl is actually from this forum! She used to pop in here, I don't know where she is now.

illegalferret

[150]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 25

boom-moo wrote:
    Lmao, I think my commment didn't went through. I was thankful for the many topless good looking men

I didn't know Points of View still aired on the TV! But can you imagine if your comment had gone out!

Danko, you're right Geordie Girl used to be on this forum! I think she's now commenting over on IMDB (i lurk there but don't post due to the unregulated nature of the site, things get nasty there, very quickly!), but it's nice that she got her point mentioned on the show

dpebbleson

[151]Oct 11, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:

boom-moo wrote:

I didn't know Points of View still aired on the TV! But can you imagine if your comment had gone out!

Danko, you're right Geordie Girl used to be on this forum! I think she's now commenting over on IMDB (i lurk there but don't post due to the unregulated nature of the site, things get nasty there, very quickly!), but it's nice that she got her point mentioned on the show

Finally my memory worked for once!

I used to lurk at other forums, but now I only visit this one. We're up to date with everything, so no need to go to other places.

Yeah, I think it's nice, we should all be happy to know the celebrity who appeared in "Points of View"

boom-moo

[152]Oct 13, 2010
    Interesting read here about a fan who sent a complaint to BBC about the scene where Arthurs throws the cup to Merlin's head.

dpebbleson

[153]Oct 13, 2010
    What do you think about the reply, Esther?

For me it's very diplomatic and not really answering the question. I didn't bother with the cup incident before, but now they brought it to my attention.

If Merlin's responsibility is to wait on Arthur, it doesn't mean Arthur has right to abuse him - otherwise Uther could do the same to Sir Leon, and Morgana to Guinevere. There are more master-servant relationships and none had physical abuse, as far as I remember.

Second, it's lame to justify abusing by Merlin abusing Arthur with magic in turn. If there's a lesson to be learned from that then it would be: if someone abuses you, you must get back at him, in secret. Or: it's okay to be abused, if you can get back at them in some other way. Or: the audience is satisfied as long as both abuser and abused are by the end of episode abused in some way, and balance is restored.

The young audience identifies with Merlin: what of those who identify with Arthur? This is an ensemble cast, after all.

He is overbearing and shares his father's hate of sorcery: overbearing is okay as their answer, but hate of sorcery is besides the point. He doesn't know of Merlin's sorcery so the abuse (or any explanation of it) can't really be related to it. If he is like his father, how come we didn't see this trait in Uther to abuse servants. He threatens them, or doesn't pay attention to them at all, but we haven't seen him throw a cup at them.

Nothing is said about the act of abusing itself, with which this fan obviously has problem.

I don't have much problem with the cup, to be honest, and was playing devil's advocate. But reply was pretty weak in my opinion.

boom-moo

[154]Oct 13, 2010
    I had written a long reply but meh. To me, it has always been really clear that TPTB don't take the show the umpteenth time as seriously as we do.

WitchyWeasel88

[155]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 14

The cup incident didn't bother me but I wasn't especially happy with it either. I think they're just switching between extremes of Arthur's character rather than showing gradual progression with the odd moment of teasing and the like. I have no objection to a two steps forward, one step backward, some occasional regression at times is realistic, but overall their relationship needs to move forward more than it's doing at the moment.

I agree that the reply was weak. I would be interested to see what someone actually involved with the show, rather than just someone from the complaints department, had to say on the matter. Knowing them though it would probably be very similar in lack of any real answer.

At the end of the day as you quite rightly pointed out, BM, TPTB don't take things as seriously as we do and I try not to let things like this bother me.

ACDiNosey

[156]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 28
    Well, I'm also thinking about the poor person who sat trying to write this answer and has nothing to do with Merlin, other than watching it on Saturday evening like the rest of us. Must be quite hard to come up with justifications for every single programme they air.

TPTB have learnt a lesson today: Do NOT get Arthur to hit Merlin with things that are hard and make noises when they hit something. Clothes, flowers, leather implements, ok. Tankards, swords and hammer: bad.

cassiop_yeaaah

[157]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 7

It's true that I find the cup accident a bit rough but other than that I don't mind the 'abuse' as they say. For me it's more a sign of friendship than a sign of master abusing his servant. I mean, isn't the bully a guy thing ? All my brothers bully me and when I see them with their boy friends it's the same (well they don't throw cup at each other but the idea is the same). As far as I am concerned, Arthur is teasing him because he likes him. The only real abuse I saw was in the first episode when Arthur was bullying the first servant.

I aslo think that we can't compare this kind of relation with the one Arthur could have with Gwen, or even Gwen with Morgana. They are girls !!! of course they won't throw cups at each other. I don't want to say that "girls are calm and sweet" whereas "boys are brutal" etc but I think that boys betwen them don't take jokes as seriously as girls might do.