Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (Morgana Thread)

boom-moo

[141]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 75
    I definitely don't think that the Druids will welcome Morgana, but I do think there's gonna be some Mordred/Morgana is store if Asa is able to make for series 4. At least I hope so.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Connor91

[142]Dec 10, 2010
    • level: 6

I can't imagine the druids welcoming her now either. In fact the druids and the fisher king seemed to know that Morgana would make a play for the throne, hence the constant warnings and 'CAMELOT IS IN DANGER' comments etc. I'd love for Morgana to meet the dragon some how but I seriously doubt it happening given his utter hatred for her lol.

Edited on 12/10/2010 3:19pm

D-syfer

[143]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 10
    boom-moo wrote:
    I definitely don't think that the Druids will welcome Morgana, but I do think there's gonna be some Mordred/Morgana is store if Asa is able to make for series 4. At least I hope so.

And if that happens Morgana might find out from Mordred that Merlin is Emrys.

boom-moo

[144]Dec 12, 2010
    Hopefully but he could have told her before so I think that little Mordred has an agenda of his own.

Katie 2011 calendar here

Edited on 12/20/2010 4:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

LizzyGlue

[145]Jan 9, 2011
    • level: 20

The qualities I appreciate in Morgana from Series 1

Morgana possesses both inner and outer beauty

Caring

We often see her tending to the wounded, even when she is herself sick or sleep deprived. She heads Merlin and Gwen's feelings in general, and more so when she thinks they're in love.

Compassionate

She relates to people's suffering (Mary Collins). She is touched when Merlin's village is attacked and asks for Arthur's help. She shares the concerns of Camelot citizens and shows great solidarity towards them.

Fair and just

She defends Gwen, accused of sorcery. She rebels against Uther for condemning innocent people with impunity. Even her extreme plan against Uther in "To kill the King" stems not just from revenge, but the desire to punish him for his wrongs.

Assertive

She expresses her opinions to everyone, even Uther. She's the only one who does not spare Uther when she disagrees with him.

Courageous and Brave

She follows her convictions, even when she risks harsh consequences (like saving the Druid boy). She goes to Ealdor with Merlin to defend his village.

Contemporary

Generally, of all the main characters, her behaviour and values probably reflect us (21st century people) the most.

I wish her character development had been more less rushed from 2.12 to 3.01. I think her character deserved to make a much more credible villain.

dpebbleson

[146]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 23
    Thank you very much, I put it in the very first post.

pcdsa

[147]Jan 25, 2011
    • level: 12
    I like this S3 promo pic of Morgana

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended when posting these pictures. Merlin is property of BBC and Shine Ltd. )

boom-moo

[148]Jan 25, 2011
    I also find most of the ones that weren't out by the time the episodes aired nicer than the ones that did.

Wonder_

[149]Jan 27, 2011
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:

I hope so too. It would be interesting to see what their relationship is like -- it wouldn't be the same as Morgause/Morgana. But, with the year jump, it's been two years since Mordred and Morgana met, so maybe Mordred will have motivations of his own now? Either way it will be different to Morgause making plans and Morgana holding onto her every word.

boom-moo

[150]Jan 27, 2011
    Wonder_ wrote:
    it's been two years since Mordred and Morgana met, so maybe Mordred will have motivations of his own now? Either way it will be different to Morgause making plans and Morgana holding onto her every word.
    I'm not that sure. Mordred has always had a big influence on Morgana and when manipulated by Alvarr, he has manipulated her very well in turn. If Mordred has an agenda of his own, which is very likely, he might as well use her like he's done before. But since they both seek to destroy Uther, they might work together to that end. What I find really interesting is the combination Mordred/Morgause, but that's a different story.

Wonder_

[151]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 4

boom-moo wrote:
    Wonder_ wrote:
    it's been two years since Mordred and Morgana met, so maybe Mordred will have motivations of his own now? Either way it will be different to Morgause making plans and Morgana holding onto her every word.
    I'm not that sure. Mordred has always had a big influence on Morgana and when manipulated by Alvarr, he has manipulated her very well in turn. If Mordred has an agenda of his own, which is very likely, he might as well use her like he's done before. But since they both seek to destroy Uther, they might work together to that end. What I find really interesting is the combination Mordred/Morgause, but that's a different story.

True. I find it interesting that in some versions of the legend, it's Morgana who partially manipulates Mordred. But it's the other way around here.

And if Mordred does reappear, it makes sense for him to tell Morgana that Merlin has magic. So maybe the two of them will try to destroy Merlin as well as Uther?

boom-moo

[152]Jan 28, 2011
    Wonder_ wrote:
    And if Mordred does reappear, it makes sense for him to tell Morgana that Merlin has magic. So maybe the two of them will try to destroy Merlin as well as Uther?
    Probably, but I'd be really disappointed if Mordred has to tell Morgana that Merlin has magic. Morgause and Morgana should have figured that much out for themselves ages ago.

dpebbleson

[153]Mar 15, 2011
    I've just re-watched "The Crystal Cave", and noticed a thing that I think I noticed at the time I first watched it. I'm not sure of my exact wording back then, but it'd be interesting if the logic was the same.

I'm referring to the scene when Uther comes to Morgana after she was cured by Merlin. She keeps luring him to admit he is her father, but he resists that. I believe that at that moment she was at a crossroads of a sort. I think previously she would destroy Camelot to liberate magic-people. But at that moment it seemed to me like she wanted to 'fit in' the Pendragon family, to have a father and a brother. And then she was rejected by Uther, which prompted her to kill him instantly, and against Morgause's advice. At that point it became even more personal than before. Furthermore, now her hatred was fueled by ambition, as now she could claim the throne besides toppling Uther.

I'm not justifying what she did, but it seems to me that if Uther accepted her at that moment, things would have been different. If anything, she would have the satisfaction of being accepted as his daughter.

This certainly doesn't justify why she would kill even Guinevere and Arthur, though it could explain how things went wrong even more than they did.

pcdsa

[154]Mar 16, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I'm not justifying what she did, but it seems to me that if Uther accepted her at that moment, things would have been different. If anything, she would have the satisfaction of being accepted as his daughter.

I too felt the same, but maybe it is wishful thinking on our parts!

I'm sure Morgause must have told her about Uther's use of magic for Arthur's birth and this reinforced her hatred of him. It would have been good if she mentioned this in 3.01 or 3.02 and it would have tied with the S3 spoilers of her wearing Ygraine's dress and her haunting Uther which didn't happen. Also if Morgause told her that Arthur knows the truth and still sides with Uther, that could be why she turned against Arthur. Again it would have been good to see this before 3.05. Guinevere makes less sense unless she believes Cenred's line about "no friend of Camelot is innocent" which then would include Arthur.

boom-moo

[155]Mar 16, 2011
    it is really frustrating that we don't really know how much Morgana knows, because Morgause certainly knows the whole story.

I would have loved that the Morgana in Ygraine's dress would have made it. I wonder what TPTB wanted to convey with that since Ygraine herself appears in Uther's visions as well.

pcdsa

[156]Mar 16, 2011
    Completely frustating and Morgana haunting Uther as Ygraine would have been brilliant and tied everything up nicely. I have been wondering why TPTB had her wearing the dress. I can only think she was acting as a stand in for Alice Patten. Very crafty hoodwinking the fans!

boom-moo

[157]Mar 16, 2011
    pcdsa wrote:
    I can only think she was acting as a stand in for Alice Patten. Very crafty hoodwinking the fans!
    She acted as a stand in for Ygraine in the well scene (it was Morgana's [Katie's] arm the one reaching out to Uther) but there the clothing wasn't important. In the pics where she is wearing Ygraine's dress her hair is tightly put up in a bun, so I believe she might have even worn a wig. And also her dress is torn, whereas Ygraine's isn't.

dpebbleson

[158]Mar 16, 2011
    pcdsa wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:

I too felt the same, but maybe it is wishful thinking on our parts!

I'm sure Morgause must have told her about Uther's use of magic for Arthur's birth and this reinforced her hatred of him. It would have been good if she mentioned this in 3.01 or 3.02 and it would have tied with the S3 spoilers of her wearing Ygraine's dress and her haunting Uther which didn't happen. Also if Morgause told her that Arthur knows the truth and still sides with Uther, that could be why she turned against Arthur. Again it would have been good to see this before 3.05. Guinevere makes less sense unless she believes Cenred's line about "no friend of Camelot is innocent" which then would include Arthur.

Two makes the team There must be other people who saw it as well. I think the point of no return was conveyed with that scene, but, alas not as well as it could have been, as you pointed out.

I agree with Esther that Morgause knows the whole story. I think Morgana too knows the entire story, and that's why she is so bitter. Plus she thinks Arthur is the same hypocrite as Uther, accepting magic when he wants. On the other hand, she was in Camelot when that duel between father and son happened. Uther did threaten everyone with death if it was made public, so Morgana may have completely missed 'blaming Morgause as an enchantress' part and deduced that Arthur merely accepted that he was born out of magic, and still was against the magic people. In that case, she'd have reason to be against him - but to kill him, that is still drastic for me.

I remember that spoiler with the dress. It would have been cool if we saw Ygraine in Uther's vision, and then when he falls asleep or closes his eyes, it was Morgana all along...

I wonder if they reuse the scene at some point.

I'll try to avoid spoilers completely this year, but don't know if I can make it

boom-moo

[159]Mar 16, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Two makes the team There must be other people who saw it as well. I think the point of no return was conveyed with that scene, but, alas not as well as it could have been, as you pointed out.
    I think that a lot of people agreed to that idea in the episode discusssion thread.

dpebbleson wrote:
    On the other hand, she was in Camelot when that duel between father and son happened. Uther did threaten everyone with death if it was made public, so Morgana may have completely missed 'blaming Morgause as an enchantress' part and deduced that Arthur merely accepted that he was born out of magic, and still was against the magic people. In that case, she'd have reason to be against him - but to kill him, that is still drastic for me.
    I don't think that Morgana has a solid reason to believe that Arthur accepted that he was born out of magic (while still swinging in his opinion about its practice). She knows him better than knowing he would just accept something like that. Unless Morgause is just giving her partial feedback, of course. Again, the joys of not knowing how much she really knows.

dpebbleson

[160]Mar 16, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    I think that a lot of people agreed to that idea in the episode discusssion thread.

I've just re-read the entire thread for that episode. A hard job to do, but I had to since my memory is really bad... Anyways, the issue of point of no return wasn't tackled much, the discussion was greatly centred on speculation on how are Morgana and Morgause related, what will happen afterwards, and about Morgana's right to the throne. Trish was the first to make the conclusion about the point of no return, and Morgana not being acknowledged as his daughter being that point. I virtually evolved to that line of thinking, as I was concentrating on her need to be acknowledged as a princess. Now I don't think she was going much for being princess, but daughter, so I believe my impression was wrong back then.

boom-moo wrote:
    I don't think that Morgana has a solid reason to believe that Arthur accepted that he was born out of magic (while still swinging in his opinion about its practice). She knows him better than knowing he would just accept something like that. Unless Morgause is just giving her partial feedback, of course. Again, the joys of not knowing how much she really knows.

I think she knows a lot, and is just not showing it. And I think in Series 4 she will know about Merlin as well.

Do you think Uther will try to make amends with her in Series 4? Offer her to come home? Offer her forgiveness? He's definitely still deluded about her, probably thinking it's all Morgause's brainwashing. I also hope they do some scenes between Arthur and Morgana so we get how they are standing with each other.