Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Destiny and Chicken: Arthur discussion thread.

boom-moo

[41]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 75
    Bradley has been voted Geeky Girls love Scifi's 'September man of the Month' in 2010.

Happy birthday, Bradley James!

Photobucket

Edited on 10/11/2010 12:23am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[42]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 25

Thanks for the link Esther! I love how he won by a MASSIVE margin!

Happy Birthday Bradley! x

arwyn-t

[43]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 6

First of all, happy birthday Bradley!

Now... About Arthur. Let me babble for a while.

The first time I, a Greek native, watched and learned anything about the arthurian legend was when I was a kid. There was this japanese animated series about King Arthur back in the early '80s, the first national Greek TV station had it dubbed and I loved it. That Arthur was young and noble, leading his knights into battle with courage. He was also the one who stood out from all of them, he was the protagonist. Then came the film "Excalibur", a film that I was both fascinated with and scared of. That Arthur though was not the hero, he didn't have presence. Various other films and series came... and still, although the King, Arthur was always the second fighter to Lancelot, the cheated husband and the mellow victim of fortune. Apart from that anime, never again did I see a real *King* Arthur.

That of course... until "Merlin".

Yes, I know that Arthur is still a prince in this. Yes, he is a prat. But, oh my word, does the future King shine through him or what!! Everything that I loved in Arthur as a kid I see this Arthur slowly show. For the first time since my childhood, I see this Arthur and I cry knowing his fate! I love watching the journey of this brave young man, who will unite the land of Albion in peace and prosperity. When that kid turned and said "my name is Mordred", I felt a chill to my bones. I imagined *this* Arthur falling in the battle of Camlan and I couldn't stand it. I imagined *this* Arthur having his heart broken by Guinevere and Lancelot and I was furious!

I hate prats in real life, hate them with passion. But this Arthur gets away with it. He's got such a good heart and ferocious loyalty to his people, such life-sacrificing bravery, that I forgive every item he hurls in childish tantrums. I know that he's on the road to maturity. I can't wait for that.

All these of course wouldn't be there if the Powers That Be had not cast Bradley James in the role. He's perfect. He's got the full package, acting talent, looks and skills. With one smirk he's the prat, with one serious glance he's the future King. Very, oh but VERY well done, Bradley!

For the first time since that anime, I'm again team!Arthur. I love Merlin/Colin too, he's extraordinary, but... I sit up straighter when Arthur's on. My childhood ideal King Arthur is back!

pcdsa

[44]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 12

arwyn-t, you and I are unifed fans of King Arthur. Team Arthur all the way!!!!

I've have also admired King Arthur from childhood and so love this interpretaton. He is promising to be everything we admire. I actually don't care about him being the greatest warrior but having a good heart that inspires people. I also like that they are setting up Arthur and Guinevere as a love story and not a matter of convenience.

Have you watched the 2004 movie King Arthur with the gorgeous Clive Owen? That's the best movie portrayal of him I've seen!

Edited on 10/11/2010 10:40am

ACDiNosey

[45]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 28
    In the Geeky Girls link BoomMoo gave us at the top of the page, the second picture shows Arthur with a bloody face and, somehow it doesn't look like a promo picture. Does anyone know if it comes from an episode and if so which one? I can't remember Arthur ever having injuries like that.

arwyn-t

[46]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 6

pcdsa wrote:

arwyn-t, you and I are unifed fans of King Arthur. Team Arthur all the way!!!!

I've have also admired King Arthur from childhood and so love this interpretaton. He is promising to be everything we admire. I actually don't care about him being the greatest warrior but having a good heart that inspires people. I also like that they are setting up Arthur and Guinevere as a love story and not a matter of convenience.

Have you watched the 2004 movie King Arthur with the gorgeous Clive Owen? That's the best movie portrayal of him I've seen!

-high fives the fellow King Arthur fan-

I've watched the 2004 movie, Clive Owen is good yes, but he's not *my* King Arthur. He's older and not... fairytale-y enough. He was a sort of realist Arthur.

Um... the first Arthur I ever saw was this, humor and bare with me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tsVCxOoO4

It's eerie how it resembles "Merlin", isn't it??? The armor, the long red cape!! And Arthur is young in this too.

I had hopes for the "Mists of Avalon" Arthur, but again... he didn't have gravitas (for lack of a better word). And when I heard of the Starz version being filmed, "Camelot", I went "ahhh...", only to lose my smile when I saw who they cast as Arthur, a too baby faced actor for my taste.

No, Bradley is the best Arthur in a loooooooooong time. I will cry when he'll become King and form the Round Table!

ACDiNosey wrote:
    In the Geeky Girls link BoomMoo gave us at the top of the page, the second picture shows Arthur with a bloody face and, somehow it doesn't look like a promo picture. Does anyone know if it comes from an episode and if so which one? I can't remember Arthur ever having injuries like that.

It's not from Merlin, it's from an earlier series that Bradley played in, "Lewis/ Music to die for".

Edited on 10/11/2010 11:01am

WitchyWeasel88

[47]Oct 11, 2010
    • level: 14

ACDiNosey wrote:

It's from the 'Lewis' episode mentioned I think, not Merlin.

pcdsa

[48]Oct 11, 2010

arwyn-t I haven't seen the animation before but from what you said I'm sure I would love it . My first experience of Arthur is in the 1953 film "Knights of the Round Table" although it was mainly about Lancelot I really liked Arthur and what he stood for with the round table. The "King Arthur" movie has the realism and idealism of my Arthur. I really loveed how he faces the Saxons alone near the end and his men who were going home decide to return and fight with Arthur. And that Guinevere and Arthur fall in love even with Lancelot around who doesn't get a look-in!!!

I wasn't sure about this version when Arthur appeared first as a bully and prat. But when he appreciated Merlin's bravery and stopped him from being arrested after their second encounter TPTB gave us a peek into his real potential. Yes I agree this Arthur gets away with being a prat. I too felt chilled when he said "My name is Mordred" and loathe the idea of Guinevere cheating with Lancelot.

Edited on 10/11/2010 12:34pm

boom-moo

[49]Oct 11, 2010
    arwyn-t wrote:
    I hate prats in real life, hate them with passion. But this Arthur gets away with it. He's got such a good heart and ferocious loyalty to his people, such life-sacrificing bravery, that I forgive every item he hurls in childish tantrums. I know that he's on the road to maturity. I can't wait for that.
    Very lovely put

I keep counting

boom-moo wrote:
    3x01: Gratuitous Arthur topless scene. Check.
    3x01: Gratuitous Arthur wet scene. Check.
    3x02: Gratuitous Arthur topless scene. Check.
    3x03: Gratuitous Arthur topless scene. Check.
    3x07: Gratuitous Arthur topless scene. Check.
    3x08: Gratuitous Arthur topless scene. Check.
    Edited on 10/30/2010 6:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[50]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 23

pcdsa wrote:
    We know Arthur will return magic to Camelot and hopefully not disorder too.

Diverting discussion for this particular thing from Uther's thread to here.

Yes, we know Arthur will return magic. But - he has but two seasons to change his attitude. He has a past of three seasons of not appreciating magic at all, except in 'The Sins of the Father', but even then it was reset to a greater fear/hatred, further proven that way by Morgause in S3. I wouldn't like if he went pro-magic in the last couple of episodes of S5.

Season 4 will have 10 episodes, so they better start working on that right away. And of course it's essentially tied to knowing about Merlin, since I think Merlin is the figure that will convince him magic isn't bad.

Edited on 11/12/2010 1:32pm

pcdsa

[51]Nov 13, 2010
    The point I was making was that when Arthur is king magic will return to the kingdom but hopefully not the disorder of magic also. I suppose with good bad automatically follows. So if black magic returns, Arthur as a fairer king than Uther will have laws that punish its practitioners and protect the innocent.

Regarding Arthur's attitude to magic. In 1.03 Arthur spoke on behalf of Guinevere that if she used magic it was for good. 1.08 he spoke about the Druids as being peaceful people. In 1.10 he didn't want Will to die even after finding out he was a sorceror. So he had a fair attitude to magic. Series 2 as a whole and particularly Morgause set it back. But I don't believe he would have executed Alice just because she is a magical healer unlike Uther. But I too hope we do see more of his fairer side to magic in S4 & S5 like in S1 which S2 & S3 have lacked.

boom-moo

[52]Nov 13, 2010
    pcdsa wrote:
    The point I was making was that when Arthur is king magic will return to the kingdom but hopefully not the disorder of magic also. I suppose with good bad automatically follows. So if black magic returns, Arthur as a fairer king than Uther will have laws that punish its practitioners and protect the innocent.
    I hope so. Arthur will have to come up with a set of rules to regulate the practice of magic, because those who use it for the wrong end will certainly take advantage of it.

roswellnm1947

[53]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 2
    I continue to see reports that Bradley has or will get dental work. I can't believe this is true but maybe one of you knows the answer. Thanks.

boom-moo

[54]Dec 22, 2010
    There was a huge speculation based on some funny angled pics about him having fixed his front upper teeth in the hiatus between series 1 and series 2. It was proven wrong. I think he might whiten them once in a while as most actors do (coffee, tea and whatnot darken them) but I think his teeth, crooked and all, are just fine and part of his charm.

roswellnm1947

[55]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 2
    boom-moo wrote:
    There was a huge speculation based on some funny angled pics about him having fixed his front upper teeth in the hiatus between series 1 and series 2. It was proven wrong. I think he might whiten them once in a while as most actors do (coffee, tea and whatnot darken them) but I think his teeth, crooked and all, are just fine and part of his charm.

Thanks -- thought so!

fantasymommy

[56]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 9
    boom-moo wrote:

I wonder if his crooked teeth keep him from smiling very 'large'..if that makes sense? He is more of a tight lipped smiler..

His eyes are certainly his best facial feature...just beautiful! That is where you see him 'smile':-)

boom-moo

[57]Dec 22, 2010
    fantasymommy wrote:
    I wonder if his crooked teeth keep him from smiling very 'large'..if that makes sense? He is more of a tight lipped smiler..
    I think he's got an awesome grin. And he grins a lot (maybe not in the show) so I don't think he has any issues with his teeth.

fantasymommy

[58]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 9
    boom-moo wrote:
    fantasymommy wrote:
    I think he's got an awesome grin. And he grins a lot (maybe not in the show) so I don't think he has any issues with his teeth.

I doubt he has any problems finding a date...if he wanted them fixed I'm guessing it would have been done already! Like you said earlier...it is part of his charm and character.

boom-moo

[60]Nov 18, 2011
    fantasymommy wrote:
    if he wanted them fixed I'm guessing it would have been done already!
    Exactly. Still I don't see what's the big deal if he fixes them or doesn't. I guess people need to talk. I'd personally prefer if he wouldn't fix them though, he is incredibly gorgeous as he is.

Some details regarding Fast Girls have been released here.