Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x06 discussion - 'The Changeling'

clbirty

[21]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 4
    I like how arthur and gwen never really discuss how they feel they always talk around it. Liked the scene where they were eating in the hall and gwen squeezed arthurs arm.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 75
    Oh, and we were so wrong! It is Arthur who ends up cancelling the wedding Go Arthur!

ACDiNosey

[23]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 28
    In spite of the cushion throwing (which landed in front of Uther. Yay!), I thought that for once Arthur was great at showing his feelings. I thought that scene with Gwen gave a great insight as to how far he's gone. Gwen was dismissing her own feelings (probably partly to make Arthur feel better about his predicament), whereas Arthur was very open about his own feelings and desperation. I loved the teary eye., it showed a great depth of feelings and emotional turmoil from Arthur.

pcdsa

[24]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 12
    Loved all the Arthur-Guinevere scenes especially insane / miserable teary Arthur and their final "lovely" banter.
    I'm glad Arthur didn't humiliate Elena, who was very sweet, when he stopped the ceremony. It was very nicely done. Lord Godwin is a very loving and understanding father and Uther should take note! I wonder if his wife was of royal blood and that is why Elena is a princess but he is just a lord?
    Liked the return of the Sidhe elder but thought how Gaius quickly guessed about Elena being a changeling was too pat.
    I initially thought Morgana was genuinely happy for Arthur's marriage but no. Sad to see her happy over Guinevere's upset and her wanting Arthur dead in 3.07 though I was expecting it . It does look like a very exciting episode. Roll on next Saturday!!!

boom-moo

[25]Oct 16, 2010
    Well, Merlin kept the cushion for himself so it's all good

Yeah, Gwen was totally being 2x10 again for Arthur's sake. It was really good to see Arthur struggling with words and with his feelings; despite he usually beats a lot around the bush, he made very really clear that he loves Gwen. It was really brave of him to stop the wedding and it was very nice of Lord Godwin to be understanding.

XyFan

[26]Oct 16, 2010

LOL when that old lady was checking out Gaius !! my face wanted to go XD !

oh and when that old lady gave her a frog.. i though she was gonna play with it .. but.. eh .. ew,. ?

boom-moo

[27]Oct 16, 2010
    And lol at her 'tongue kissing' him from behind the bars. Eww

XyFan

[28]Oct 16, 2010

yeah.. that was a .. nice sight indeed.

btw is Morgana getting more prettier every time ? :O she looked so beautiful in this episode. ''The prettier the eviler? ''

CLikesPie

[29]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 6

It was a pretty good episode, not as dramatic and all as the last episode was but I still liked it.

I was actually pretty surprised that I liked Elena that much She was such a sweet person. Although I wouldn't have eaten the frog

Loved all the Arthur/Gwen scenes, but I have to disagree with Gwen: it's not only hers and Arthurs perspective, Merlin is a Arthur/Gwen shipper too

Also thought Morgana being all: "It's so obvious you like him, I totally noticed it" was kind of ironic considering she didn't notice it AT ALL for a really long time

boom-moo

[30]Oct 16, 2010
    XyFan wrote:
    is Morgana getting more prettier every time ? :O she looked so beautiful in this episode. ''The prettier the eviler? ''
    Indeed!

CLikesPie wrote:
    Also thought Morgana being all: "It's so obvious you like him, I totally noticed it" was kind of ironic considering she didn't notice it AT ALL for a really long time
    Lol, she is not good at pretending at all.

And the 'Thriller Jacket' was back! Tsk, tsk, TPTB...

CLikesPie

[31]Oct 16, 2010

boom-moo wrote:

Really? I didn't notice it! I think i have to re-watch the episode now

boom-moo

[32]Oct 16, 2010
    They recycle old scenes all the time

Connor91

[33]Oct 16, 2010

I liked this ep, I was somewhat skeptical about it because it sounded similar to the Troll one and whilst it wasn't that different Elena was really likable which was nice. I like how all the females on Merlin always have a little bit of an edge.

I thought Miriam was fantastic.

Edited on 10/16/2010 3:45pm

dpebbleson

[34]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 23
    For me this was quite an average episode. I don't know how to describe it. I didn't like it very much like I did with many other episodes, but neither did I dislike. It's solid, it has good acting, average premise, some recycled stuff.

What is good are relationships, I guess. On all level. What could have turned into a melodrama at the very end ended up being very decent.

And yeah Miriam was fantastic! She played it in such way that she was between a villain and a servant of a villain.

Morgana showed some striking intelligence! Go Morgana, you have all the makings of a successful witch!! : )

cassiop_yeaaah

[35]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 7

CLikesPie wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    Really? I didn't notice it! I think i have to re-watch the episode now
    I didn't notice it either. When is it ?

I am not too thrilled about this episode. Some scenes were really great, like Arthur/Uther discussion at the begining, Gwen/Arthur scenes (the one in his chamber is actually quite moving lol), Morgana finding out about Gwen and Arthur...

But I found that the all story with the magic was made in a hurry. Scenes were too shorts. It's like 15 seconds with the sidhes and then 15 secondes with the misarable Arthur and then again 15 secondes with the nanny eating flies. It wasn't really like that but I felt like they wanted to show us a lot but didn't have time to do it.

And I like Merlin's advice : "Your destiny is to rule Camelot but you still have a choice. It's how you do it". I loved this because, in my opinion, he is actually telling Arthur to detach himself from his father's influence and start to think by himself ( and not only in the matter concerning Gwen).

boom-moo

[36]Oct 16, 2010
    cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    I didn't notice it either. When is it?
    When Morgana is looking at Arthur and Merlin from her window, right before teasing Gwen about Arthur marrying another.

cassiop_yeaaah

[37]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 7

boom-moo wrote:
    cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    I didn't notice it either. When is it?
    When Morgana is looking at Arthur and Merlin from her window, right before teasing Gwen about Arthur marrying another.
    Indeed. I also noticed that this scene was familiar but didn't pay too much attention to the jacket.

boom-moo

[38]Oct 16, 2010
    It's the very last one of 2x04. They edited it a bit to add Morgana's window glass pattern into it but that's all.

leapinglucas

[39]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 3
    Wow, by this time last week there were 10 pages of comments. I guess that tells you something...

Hard to know what to say about this one. I felt like I was watching some sort of hybrid between Merlin reruns and Shrek 6 (without the clever dialogue). Like the Gwaine episode, which was so reminiscent of Lancelot, I really felt like I was watching a rerun of Beauty and the Beast here. Troll/Sidhe inhabits body of beautiful women in an effort to seize Camelot by marrying Uther/Arthur. And we had a fart, a pratfall and Arthur hurling an object at Merlin's head all within the first five minutes (thankfully, a pillow!) Has to be a new record!

Once Gaius was telling Merlin, (paraphrasing) "you can't just accuse Lord Godwin of having Sidhe for a daughter and a Pixie for a nurse... we have to find a magic potion", it really felt like well-worn territory. And then Gaius' working long and hard on a magic potion only to have it smashed -- deja vu much.

I though the actor playing Princess Fiona... I mean Elena... was charming. Is it wrong to feel that she and Bradley had more chemistry, despite their characters' protestations, than Arthur/Gwen have ever had? Bradley was awesome in this episode. He truly looked heartbroken about having to forsake his love for Guinevere to marry strategically -- and yet, I still didn't feel the chemistry between them. It's not that either are doing anything wrong... it's just... I dunno. On the bright side, ASH and Bradley again have some great father/son dialogue in this ep. I loved the juxtaposition of their styles of commitment, duty and leadership. Uther is the past and Arthur is the future. Unfortunately Merlin's little speech to Arthur about destiny felt somehow forced to me. A bit pat. It leached all the enjoyment out of it for me. Not Colin's best moment, I think.

And another thing. These producers have a disturbingly warped sense of right and wrong. Merlin despatched Grunhilda and turned her into a pile of rubble very cold-bloodedly. Okay, maybe you can argue that it was necessary to release the possession... maybe. But to make another jokey coda out of it? Sometimes I think the Merlin creative team needs an ethics check.

Didn't see much of Merlin at all in this one. Gauis' did a lot of the snooping here -- and a lot of the weird face-pulling. That man has a face like hot toffee! Colin must have enjoyed the brief respite.

Am on holidays, looking out over a crystal blue bay with whales and dolphins glistening in the sunshine so it's difficult to get excited about this ep.

Anyway, the good news is... I don't know what else to say so you won't have to put up with my usual verbose rantings! I must say though, I do LOVE technology. The iPhone plugged into my laptop works a treat out here in the boondocks! Watching episodes on the beach. Coolness.

camelotkitty12

[40]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 5

Just watched the episode. Pretty good. But I think they need better writers. these writers keep drawing on past episodes and repeating stuff. How many more eps are there gonna be, where Arthur throws something at Merlin?(But This time it was kinda funny, as the pillow landed at Uther's feet!) It's like they aren't being very original. I too thought this was a recycling of beauty and the beast. And I thought they should have drawn some of the scenes out more, for instance, I LOVED seeing Arthur getting down on his knees to propose-- I just wish we could have seen a bit more of that...instead it cut off.I liked Elena, despite her being a fairy.Loved her riding skills. Her beating Arthur was great. And cute. And I liked that Lord Godwyn thot that Arthur had done the right thing. Again, he should have been referred to as a KING instead of a Lord. He was a bit more understanding than Uther, I think.

Disappointing not to see Sir Leon. Where's he hiding, anyway? Even if he doesn't have lines, he still belongs there. And why is it that we don't see Gwen curtsying to Arthur whenever she meets him? Grrrr. That's kind of a sore point, with me. Ahhh well. I liked this episode, and I would watch it again.That grunhilda character was a joy to watch....warts and all.