Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x06 discussion - 'The Changeling'

Wonder_

[41]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 4

Like everyone else said, an average episode overall. I really liked Elena, and that made it a lot better than the troll ones. But it was too recycled for it to be very interesting.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

clbirty

[42]Oct 17, 2010
    I know the majority of people are saying the storylines are recycled every show does this, not just merlin. I think you have to take every episode for what it is. I have just watched it again and found it even more entertaining

cassiop_yeaaah

[43]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 7

leapinglucas wrote:
    I though the actor playing Princess Fiona... I mean Elena... was charming. Is it wrong to feel that she and Bradley had more chemistry, despite their characters' protestations, than Arthur/Gwen have ever had?
    I guess it also depends on the kind of scene they share. Arthur/Elena scenes were more comical : the banter, the awkwardness etc. It is sure more lively than seeing Gwen and Arthur glancing miserably at each other. The scene betwen them I really liked was when he was staying at her home and he told him he snore. The last scene of 3x06 was nice too.

leapinglucas wrote:
    I do LOVE technology. The iPhone plugged into my laptop works a treat out here in the boondocks! Watching episodes on the beach. Coolness.
    I hate you lol

CLikesPie

[44]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 6

clbirty wrote:
    I know the majority of people are saying the storylines are recycled every show does this, not just merlin. I think you have to take every episode for what it is. I have just watched it again and found it even more entertaining

I totally agree. I just watched it again, too, and I liked it better this time. ( by the way, I did catch the Thriller jacket this time, I'm sure they put it in because they needed something for Morgana to look at while she's staring out of the window - again, and forgot to shoot it, so they just reused the old one ) I still don't think it's one of the best episodes, but it's one I enjoy watching

And yes, it is the pendragon-marries-magical-creature-storyline but in a totally different way. So it's fine by me if they recycled the storyline.

illegalferret

[45]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 25

I watched the episode this morning as i had a friend round last night and i really enjoyed it! Yes it wasn't dark and gripping like last week but it was sweet and nicely done.

I felt sorry for Elena so possessed by a fairy through no fault of her own and she was a nice person, clumsy yes but sweet andendearingand i was so glad that at the end Arthur treated her with respect. All the scenes between Arthur and Guinevere were beautifully done that utter sadness that Arthur had when he was explaining to Guinevere they he couldn't marry for love But man he's got to stop looking at her when he mentions love!! That scene when he, Morgana and Uther are eating and he looks at her is really sweet, but i was like Damn it! now Morgana knows, this is NOT a good thing!! When the Nanny was flirting with Gauis i was cringing and peering through my fingers, but it was funny! I agree with some of you that things like finding out who Elena and the Nanny really were was done very quickly and the nanny's death too came very quickly. The Merlin/Arthur banter was there same as the past few weeks which is nice the bit with the pillow was funny especially as in walked Uther I loved the fact Arthur stopped the wedding in his own time, yes he was slightly influenced by Merlin's talk before hand but this was his decision, so good for him

So overall not a classic Merlin episode (i prefer them slightly darker), but still good and very much enjoyable.

It looks like next will be the fall out of Morgana's latest discovery! Exciting!

leapinglucas

[47]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 3

cassiop_yeaaah wrote:

leapinglucas wrote:
    I though the actor playing Princess Fiona... I mean Elena... was charming. Is it wrong to feel that she and Bradley had more chemistry, despite their characters' protestations, than Arthur/Gwen have ever had?
    I guess it also depends on the kind of scene they share. Arthur/Elena scenes were more comical : the banter, the awkwardness etc. It is sure more lively than seeing Gwen and Arthur glancing miserably at each other.

Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Elena was so natural and good-natured and without artifice. She had a lust for life. In that scene where she took off madly on the horse and he tore off after her. He caught up with her and said it was very impressive and he's not easily impressed. She was talkative and honest, and they had at least one thing in common. Arthur was definitely uncomfortable, but there was a sense of grudging amusement. Yes, they BANTERED. They spoke freely to each other. They were amusing together. They had an easy camaraderie. And Elena had some SPUNK! You're right, Gwen and Arthur do tend to wallow in their mutual misery.

I think the problem with Gwen/Arthur is that it's not easy for me to see what he likes about her. I mean, I like Gwen (or at least, I like Angel and wish she got more to do). But what does Arthur see in Gwen? She's pretty, she's obedient, she's helpful, she's his moral compass. She always says things that bolster his ego. She says she sees the great king he'll become (over and over again). A soft hand on his shoulder when he's troubled (I'm struggling here...) Merlin does all those things too (except maybe the obedient bit). But what is it specifically about GWEN herself that has captured his heart? Have they shown us, exactly? Or is it just something we expect to see happen because he's Arthur and she's Guinevere? Maybe it was that one time he stayed in her house and she read him the riot act. I guess that's a question directed at the Arwen shippers.

I wish Arthur had come to know the Gwen of the first few episodes. That crazy, "I like you, well not you specifically, but people LIKE you." And the "I've made you some smoked pigeon, but it's more smoke than pigeon... more water than cress." There was a certain unique quality about the dialogue they gave Gwen. But now, it's always a rehash of "I'll watch you become a great king." I guess I wanted Arthur to fall in love with someone for reasons I could SEE and BELIEVE and at least for me, they haven't made a good case for Gwen/Arthur yet.

I am reminded however of my favourite moment/s in this ep. When Merlin arrived in the glade after Elena had sneezed on Arthur and he told Arthur he thought they "were eager for some time alone". The way Colin said "time alone" was hysterical. And the clot pole came up with "clever clogs". This is possibly the first time in history these endearments were ever used.

XyFan

[48]Oct 17, 2010

what's a Thriller Jacket ?

pcdsa

[49]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 12
    I agree Arthur falling in love with Guinevere was done too quickly. But I think he noticed her when she stood up to him in 2.02. Except for Morgana no woman has done that to him. That probably was the catalyst.

I loved their final scene which had a lot of sweet banter / playfulness / chemistry between them:
    Arthur: So, I'm still a single man
    Guinevere: Indeed. I don't think you deserve her actually. She's really very lovely (beautifully said by Angel).
    A: Well, I had hoped I had forsaken her for one who is as equally lovely. Maybe, even more so (wonderfully said by Bradley).
    G: I do not know of such a person.
    A: Me neither. But I guess only time with tell.
    Guinevere walks passed him and Arthur happily bounds up the stairs.

Did anyone think when Arthur stopped the wedding and he said he could not deny his feelings, Morgana so wanted him to declare his love for Guinevere so that the fireworks would start with Uther?

illegalferret

[50]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 25

pcdsa wrote:

Did anyone think when Arthur stopped the wedding and he said he could not deny his feelings, Morgana so wanted him to declare his love for Guinevere so that the fireworks would start with Uther?

Totally agree with you! To be honest i thought he was about to announce he loved someone else, therefore couldn't marry Elena!

clbirty

[51]Oct 17, 2010
    You could tell that elena realised arthur is in love with someone else. Only uther left now to find out about arthur and gwen .

boom-moo

[52]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 75
    XyFan wrote:

what's a Thriller Jacket ?

The leather jacket that Arthur wears in 2x01 Bradley and Colin referred to it in the audio commentary for the episode as the 'thriller jacket' because it resembles the one Michael Jackson wears in the 'Thriller' video. Bradley used to dance to some 'Thriller' moves while wearing the jacket and it apparently caught the attention of the producers that it might look too modern indeed so he didn't wear it again.

cassiop_yeaaah

[53]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 7

pcdsa wrote:
    I agree Arthur falling in love with Guinevere was done too quickly. But I think he noticed her when she stood up to him in 2.02. Except for Morgana no woman has done that to him. That probably was the catalyst.
    Yes but it should have been only the beginning of something. Next scene they had together was in 2x04 and they were already playing with the "Arthur can only think about her".

pcdsa wrote:
    I loved their final scene which had a lot of sweet banter / playfulness / chemistry between them
    In my opinion they should have shown us more scenes like this before the two of them realize the like each other. They didn't spend enough time together before actually falling in love.

leapinglucas wrote:
    Or is it just something we expect to see happen because he's Arthur and she's Guinevere?
    I like them now so it hurts me to say this but I think you're right on this one.

boom-moo wrote:
    Bradley used to dance to some 'Thriller' moves while wearing the jacket and it apparently caught the attention of the producers that it might look too modern indeed so he didn't wear it again.
    I didn't know about that ! Lmao!

boom-moo

[54]Oct 17, 2010
    leapinglucas wrote:
    Or is it just something we expect to see happen because he's Arthur and she's Guinevere?
    I like them now so it hurts me to say this but I think you're right on this one.[/QUOTE]It's painful to admit it that if the writers would have worked a bit more on the pre-kiss, we could perfectly not have that feeling.

BUmistress

[55]Oct 17, 2010

Well, I for one, enjoyed ep6! It was indeed Arthur who stopped the wedding (hooray!). I also like that the powers that be didn't make Elena out to be evil. I like her character! What I didn't like is the way they got rid of the Sidhe leader and Grunhilda. Like some people have mentioned, it seemed too easy. Anyway, the relationship between Arthur and Gwen seem to be on-track this season. Love how things are going slowly, but surely. Their conversation in Arthur's chambers was quite touching. And I really think Arthur was close to tears. Also loved the little flirting scene between the two on the stairs. Cute and full of promises. But of course, Gaius and Grunhilda stole the show!

hookedforfun

[56]Oct 17, 2010
    OK, just watched the episode (I know I KNOW, I'm VERY late in the convo...) and as much as I saw of it, it wasn't too bad.

Yes I AM repeating just about everyone else, but I must admit that I was bored throughout the entire episode. I mean it wasn't BAD but to me just boring. It just wasn't as exciting as past ones.

Meanwhile; who CARES how many times Arther throws something at Merlin. Its funny, even better when he ducks or something lands at Uthers feet.

ACDiNosey

[57]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 28

BUmistress wrote:
    And I really think Arthur was close to tears.

I'm sure he was, you could see him welling up. But it was quite funny to me because, earlier in the scene, Bradley's face looked sort of strange and I thought he (or Arthur) was drunk.

boom-moo

[58]Oct 17, 2010
    I don't think it was boring at all, it was more like average. I loved that Elena was really charming and lovely as oppossed to the usual weird creatures that show up in Camelot. And her father was a sensible man as well.

I particularly loved the Arthur/Gwen scene in Arthur's chamber and the Arthur/Merlin scene right before the wedding. I like the second better because Merlin made Arthur think for himself rather than laying down the right thing to do in front him like Gwen usually does when moral compassing; however, it was nice that they got to talk about their feelings face to face.

I also loved the Arthur/Uther scene where Arthur tells him he would be a better king with the support of a woman he loves. Go Arthur!

fernajen

[59]Oct 17, 2010

I personally loved this episode. I was laughing so hard when Uthur was trying to slyly tell Arthur that he should marry Elaina in the throne room. Or Merlin and Arthur right after Uther walks in Gaius + the lady who plays pro. Sprout = awesome. I liked their twist on changeling folklore

Edited on 10/17/2010 9:51am

hookedforfun

[60]Oct 17, 2010
    OK, sorry not boring just... I agree 'average'. Although part 4 on youtube still isn't up yet. Soooo I really can't watch the end and judge. Can anyone show me where I can watch it?