Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x07 discussion - 'The Castle Of Fyrien'

  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [41]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558
    Uther was so proud of Morgana winning that wager with Arthur. I wonder if we will see him having to choose between them...

    I wonder if Elyan will become a knight of of the Round Table.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CLikesPie

    CLikesPie

    [42]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 10/10/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 110

    camelotkitty12 wrote:
    Why won't Morgana tell Uther about Merlin poisoning her? I don't get that. Maybe it's because she's afraid that He'll tell Uther that she has magic, right?


    I think that's it. She has magic, he poisoned her, they are kind of even on the secrets as far as Morgana is concerned. She can't tell Uther he tried to kill her because he might reveal that she has magic. And he can't tell anyone about her magic because she would tell Uther he poisoned her. But if Morgana found out about Merlin having magic too, things would probably change dramatically. The balance would be destroyed, in favour of Morgana.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of leapinglucas

    leapinglucas

    [43]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 09/01/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 110

    CLikesPie wrote:


    camelotkitty12 wrote:
    Why won't Morgana tell Uther about Merlin poisoning her? I don't get that. Maybe it's because she's afraid that He'll tell Uther that she has magic, right?


    I think that's it. She has magic, he poisoned her, they are kind of even on the secrets as far as Morgana is concerned. She can't tell Uther he tried to kill her because he might reveal that she has magic. And he can't tell anyone about her magic because she would tell Uther he poisoned her. But if Morgana found out about Merlin having magic too, things would probably change dramatically. The balance would be destroyed, in favour of Morgana.



    I would have to say that based on past episodes, there is no reason for Morgana not to rat on Merlin. Morgana could tell Uther anything she liked. Merlin could then try to accuse Morgana of witchcraft and as Gaius tells us EVERY EPISODE, no-one would believe him. Arthur wouldn't even believe that Gwen was knocked out by gas while Merlin was standing there in front of him with the rag as proof in his hand.


    Nope, Merlin could say anything he liked against Morgana but he would be summarily executed. If Morgana knew about Merlin's magic, she might have something to fear from him, but at this point she could easily have Merlin executed by accusing him of some petty crime. Merlin might retaliate by making frogs come out of her mouth, like in the Witchfinder, or some other spell to imply Morgana was magical, but we have seen that Uther is blind to all Morgana's faults this season. I'm also not sure, based on recent episodes, how far Arthur would go to save Merlin against Morgana's word.


    So really, this is a major plot hole for me. Why is Merlin still alive? Morgana could have wiped him out easily if she had any smarts. I guess the real reason is because they wanted to make the rest of Season 3 so they have conveninetly overlooked it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [44]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558

    There are so many plot holes... but if Morgana did rat on Merlin and as Merlin must live to save the day. Arthur would need a very good reason to save him i.e. the reveal and truth about Morgana. That means going way too fast for TPTB...


    I found Merlin very cute when he replied "I am!" to Arthur's "Who's going to watch my back if I get into trouble?"

    ACDiNosey wrote:
    Throughout the episode, Merlin was in the awkward situation of having to get Morgana out of his hair whilst not looking like he is overstepping his role. Some of the attempts were so bad (snake) that Arthur noticed soemthing was off.
    I agree he did look at Morgana and Merlin oddly particularly as Morgana wasn't very polite with Merlin.



    My grumbles about this episode which I enjoyed a lot more than last week's one:


    - Another Arthur bare chest scene though not as gratuitous as in the first three episodes.


    - Seventh episode in a row Arthur has thrown something at Merlin. I didn't notice him doing this in the previous series. It is getting too much now.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ACDiNosey

    ACDiNosey

    [45]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 02/16/09
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 16,003
    Hehe, I don't think I'd ever grumble about Arthur's chest, but I get your point, although to be fair, I thought the shots of Gwen going back home were rather "generous" albeit in a more muted way.

    I'm with you on the throwing as well, bring back chicken and pickled eggs instead.

    What I want now (and am sure I won't get), is a good episode where, for a change, it's Arthur's turn to save Merlin's life in an epic way (say, in a "poisoned chalice" type episode). We haven't had one in ages
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [46]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    leapinglucas wrote:
    Why is Merlin still alive? Morgana could have wiped him out easily if she had any smarts.
    She obviously doesn't, and that't my beef with her (or rather, with the writers' characterization of her). She could have Uther and Merlin killed easily, but of course they need to go epic.

    I wonder if Morgause is gonna wonder what went wrong. It shouldn't be too late until she realizes that Merlin is behind all the very convenient things that end up ruining their plans. She should be wondering already how come Merlin knew that the key in 2x12 was Morgana acting as a vessel.

    But again they won't make any character think too much just in case.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [47]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558
    Morgause is the only one who questioned why Merlin risks his life for Arthur in 3.01 and she wasn't satisfied with his answer. Probably when she does find out she will be killed off before she can tell Morgana.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [48]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    That'd be kind of cool plot wise assuming Morgana would come out stronger and more evil than ever but I love Morgause and her chemistry with Cenred. She is a great baddie.

    I hope Cenred isn't dead, I think he is not.
    Edited on 10/24/2010 9:41am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [49]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558
    I love sarcastic baddies. They have the best lines. So I too hope Cenred isn't dead.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of leapinglucas

    leapinglucas

    [50]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 09/01/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 110

    pcdsa wrote:
    Morgause is the only one who questioned why Merlin risks his life for Arthur in 3.01 and she wasn't satisfied with his answer. Probably when she does find out she will be killed off before she can tell Morgana.


    Yes, I LOVED that scene. Morgause seemed to be able to put two and two together. I totally buy that it would have taken her a while to figure out that a cowtowed little serving boy is actually a powerful magic-user -- it's an ideal cover. But from that scene I got the feeling that she would keep at it and Merlin was in her sights.


    That gave it all a sense of danger. She seemed SMART ... and smart villains are dangerous. Dumb villains are not so cool.


    At this stage, the MM&C team are a little repetitive in their attempts to gain control of Camelot. Morgana puts on her little red riding cloak, goes out into the woods to get more instructions from Morgause and then eventually Merlin drops things on their heads while nobody is looking -- end of episode. So for me, episode after episode of their machinations are not as exciting as that ONE scene with Morgause where she seemed like a beautiful cobra, weaving around Merlin, ready to strike at any minute.

    Edited on 10/24/2010 1:32pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [51]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    leapinglucas wrote:
    So for me, episode after episode of their machinations are not as exciting as that ONE scene with Morgana where she seemed like a beautiful cobra, weaving around Merlin, ready to strike at any minute.
    Morgause And yeah, MM&C are kind of boring. Morgause was much better on her own. Her plots in 2x08 and 2x12 were brilliant!
    Edited on 10/24/2010 1:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladyneutrino

    ladyneutrino

    [52]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 08/04/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 17

    I definitely got the impression at the end of this episode that Morgause is suspicious that Merlin's a magic user. She looked a bit thoughtful as she was recovering from the ceiling coming down on her, and certainly seemed unsurprised to hear that Merlin had showed up. She also has to know that someone was interfering with her spell, since, after all, it was her spell and she knows what she's doing.


    I really hope that I'm not just clutching at straws here. If we get any kind of reveal at all, I think it'll be Morgause figuring out first.


    If Morgana is told or figures it out, I bet Morgana would tell Arthur before telling Uther, and try to undermine his trust in Merlin. Undoubtedly she would believe that Arthur would turn him in, and then that would leave Merlin not only devastated, but not really in a position to accuse his accuser (like it would if Morgana was the accuser).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roswellnm1947

    roswellnm1947

    [53]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 51


    I think that Elyan and Gwen will be shown to be of noble birth, Elyan will become a knight, and Gwen can then become queen.


    I wish there were more A/M interaction in this episode but at least Merlin did knock a guard out with a sword surprising Arthur. I had said in an earlier post that I would like to see Merlin get more action scenes where Arthur can witness him protecting him, as opposed to Merlin always standing behind a column pointing his finger.


    Next episode looks good -- we'll see if Merlin gets at least part of the credit for helping Arthur.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [54]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    roswellnm1947 wrote:
    I would like to see Merlin get more action scenes where Arthur can witness him protecting him, as opposed to Merlin always standing behind a column pointing his finger.
    That is a nice thought but Merlin honestly does not stand much of chance to shine as a warrior.

    I really don't want Gwen to be of noble blood, I want them to overcome all the obstacles that lie in their way.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fernajen

    fernajen

    [55]Oct 24, 2010
    • member since: 09/28/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 97

    I think the main reason Morgana doesn't turn Merlin in for poisoning her is because she's paranoid. Paranoid (and guilty) people may be brilliant but their emotions cloud their judgment. Her paranoia prevents her from realizing that it doesn't matter what Merlin says her word will be taken over his.


    Or she might have more malicious plan. She might fancy the idea of taking Camelot down first. As a way of saying "you poisoned me for nothing." But not minding if he dies before her plans can come to fruition.


    boom-moo wrote:
    roswellnm1947 wrote:
    I would like to see Merlin get more action scenes where Arthur can witness him protecting him, as opposed to Merlin always standing behind a column pointing his finger.
    That is a nice thought but Merlin honestly does not stand much of chance to shine as a warrior. I really don't want Gwen to be of noble blood, I want them to overcome all the obstacles that lie in their way.


    I agree on both counts. Merlin isn't exactly a warrior. Then again as Arthur said. "wonders never cease." And all I have to say Gwen being a noble is, writers, just... say... no...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pcdsa

    pcdsa

    [56]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 01/03/10
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,558

    fernajen wrote:
    I think the main reason Morgana doesn't turn Merlin in for poisoning her is because she's paranoid. Paranoid (and guilty) people may be brilliant but their emotions cloud their judgment. Her paranoia prevents her from realizing that it doesn't matter what Merlin says her word will be taken over his.
    I agree! Morgana doesn't possess cold logic. Morgause does though!!! Or she still thinks he is a simple servant.


    ladyneutrino wrote:
    I definitely got the impression at the end of this episode that Morgause is suspicious that Merlin's a magic user. She looked a bit thoughtful as she was recovering from the ceiling coming down on her, and certainly seemed unsurprised to hear that Merlin had showed up. She also has to know that someone was interfering with her spell, since, after all, it was her spell and she knows what she's doing.
    Cool name ladyneutrino! I don't think we could get all that information from the few seconds we saw her recovering. But I agree she must be wondering who stopped her pillar of fire and she may realise it was Merlin. Putting everything from 2.11 and 3.01 together.


    boom-moo wrote:
    MM&C are kind of boring. Morgause was much better on her own. Her plots in 2x08 and 2x12 were brilliant!
    I think their plots or actually Morgause's as Morgana and Cenred are the followers have been good - enchanting Uther to weaken Camelot and getting Arthur through Guinevere. Also next week's plan to kill Arthur looks good.


    And absolutely no to Guinevere being of noble birth!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cassiop_yeaaah

    cassiop_yeaaah

    [57]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 07/31/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 497

    Just watched it and I really enjoyed it! Finally the band is leaving the castle for a quest ( so far all episodes in serie 3 were inside Camelot) and it's alway great to see the four of them together.


    It was a funny episode (with all the scenes that have been mentioned before) but also at the begining when Morgana stops Merlin when he wants to give her some water. I couldn't help but think "yes Merlin! Last time you gave her something to drink she was poisoned. She knows better now." lol


    I really enjoyed the scenes when Arthur is talking to Uther about the wager and especially the last image of Arthur and Merlin turning around to leave the room. They look at each other with this satisfied look on their faces. I really love this kind of moment when you see the both of them working together (usually Merlin is always ahead of Arthur, everytime being the first to know what's going on). I like to see them as a team.


    On thing I thought was weird though is that Arthur wants to spend some time with gwen, even kiss her when they are in the middle of the woods, in a rescue party, with Morgana and Merlin not so far away. But in the last scene, when they are all safe, the two of them alone in his chamber, he doesn't try anything...


    ACDiNosey wrote:
    Throughout the episode, Merlin was in the awkward situation of having to get Morgana out of his hair whilst not looking like he is overstepping his role. Some of the attempts were so bad (snake) that Arthur noticed soemthing was off. The scene where MerlintellsArthur he should have told HIM that Morgana was coming was a key example of that, and I just felt that it showed how all the defences Merlin has built in order to preserve his secret are thinning or disappearing fast. It just made me think that, although the reveal may not be this season, they are slowly building up to it.
    I totally agree with you. Even if I think that Arthur noticing something was more evident in 3x05.


    boom-moo wrote:
    roswellnm1947 wrote:
    I would like to see Merlin get more action scenes where Arthur can witness him protecting him, as opposed to Merlin always standing behind a column pointing his finger.
    That is a nice thought but Merlin honestly does not stand much of chance to shine as a warrior.
    And I'd like it to stay that way. Honestly I really hate almighty heroes that can do everything. Merlin is already a powerfull sorcerer. It would really be boring if he aslo was a great warrior. And it's always funny to see him struggle with his sword during a fight (the faces he makes lol). However I'd also like to see Arthur being more aware of evrything Merlin is doing for him, like at the begining of 3x05 when he wants to reward him.


    boom-moo wrote:
    I really don't want Gwen to be of noble blood, I want them to overcome all the obstacles that lie in their way.
    So do I.I must be hallucinating but with the last two episodes, I keep seeing hints of a possible futur confrontation betwen Arthur and Uther about that title's problem. Last episode, Arthur made it clear to his father that he would marry the woman he loves. This episode : two scenes that remind us how little Uther think about servants ( by the way, Uther's reply "why are you telling me this?" and his face made me laught. He really doesn't care at all lol). It must be me but I can't help but think that, with this kind of scenes, they are preparing us.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of boom-moo

    boom-moo

    [58]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 02/05/07
    • level: 75
    • rank: Rowdy Roddy Piper
    • posts: 135,676
    cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    On thing I thought was weird though is that Arthur wants to spend some time with gwen, even kiss her when they are in the middle of the woods, in a rescue party, with Morgana and Merlin not so far away. But in the last scene, when they are all safe, the two of them alone in his chamber, he doesn't try anything....
    Arthur has a private chamber and Gwen has a house of her own but they dosify the romantic scenes to keep the audience in aww.

    cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    I keep seeing hints of a possible futur confrontation betwen Arthur and Uther about that title's problem. Last episode, Arthur made it clear to his father that he would marry the woman he loves. This episode : two scenes that remind us how little Uther think about servants ( by the way, Uther's reply "why are you telling me this?" and his face made me laught. He really doesn't care at all lol). It must be me but I can't help but think that, with this kind of scenes, they are preparing us.
    Gwen could be made a free citizen of Camelot like Gaius was in 1x06. It seems to be a big honour, she needs not be made noble or anything.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roswellnm1947

    roswellnm1947

    [59]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 51


    I don't disagree with what has been said about Merlin. I really don't want him to be a warrior,just not a "wimp" as Arthur called him who gets no credit (I know that is part of the story line but it is wearing thin). About Gwen, I'm not saying whether I want her to be of noble blood or not, just saying this might be an easy plot device to move the A/G story ahead, even though I am much more of an A/M fan.


    In any event, it was announced today that there will be a Season 4, so we will see...


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of illegalferret

    illegalferret

    [60]Oct 25, 2010
    • member since: 05/16/07
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 4,909

    cassiop_yeaaah wrote:


    It was a funny episode (with all the scenes that have been mentioned before) but also at the begining when Morgana stops Merlin when he wants to give her some water. I couldn't help but think "yes Merlin! Last time you gave her something to drink she was poisoned. She knows better now." lol



    I didn't notice that when i watched it! That's really cool!


    I'm enjoy watching Merlin and Morgana giving each other evil looks all the time. It's entertain in my opinion because neither currently feel that they can do much about the other apart from glare! Do be honest i think i'm enjoying because i think there might be an end to it insight. I mean they can't go on glaring series after series! There needs to be a big show down sooner rather than later.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.