TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x09 discussion - 'Love In The Time Of Dragons'

boom-moo

[1]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 3x09 'Love In The Time Of Dragons' here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Trolls won't be fed, I love cookies.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[2]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 24
    First!!

Very much looking forward to this, especially since it's not an episode people expect much from.

clbirty

[3]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 4
    Loved the arthur merlin scenes. Oh my god next weeks episode looks amazing. Can someone please post it need to see it again .

zeencat

[4]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 10
    That episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The manticore was possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Next weeks does look awesome. I'm wondering if this episode apart from being a filler was a tribute to Giaus.

clbirty

[5]Nov 6, 2010
    I enjoyed it would have liked a few more arthur scenes. Am sure i will get my fix next week

ACDiNosey

[6]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 28

Well, I couldn't care about the story and found the episode itself rather boring, but there were some really nice scenes which made it very enjoyable. Colin Morgan was amazing (maybe it was the quiet feel about the episode, but his delivery and face expressions were amazing throughout). I too really liked the Arthur/Merlin scenes, esp the "knights are thick" one Bradley was soooo hot in this episode... I think it must be the red shirt rolled back onto his arms but I was almost drooling when he was in Uther's chambers... And I really like the whitish shirt Merlin wears at night. I love the Merlin/Geoffrey of Monmouth scenes... (The face Merlin makes when he says "no one, must be dreaming" is priceless) Other than the scene where Merlin confronts Gaius on his night outing, I must say I wasn't keen on Gaius...

Zeen, I really liked the manticore, I sort of found it a friendly quality... I think it was great CGI (compared to the half-dragons we were treated to last week).

Edited on 11/06/2010 1:45pm

pcdsa

[7]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 12

I liked the episode as I wasn't expecting much. Gaius and Alice were very sweet. I remember Pauline Collins from my childhood so it was great to see her in Merlin. I'm glad she escaped in the end.

It was nice to see Arthur encourage Merlin with his punch in the arm and I too laughed out loud at the "knights are thick" reference.

Also Merlin's dream scene with GoM was very funny.

Edited on 11/06/2010 2:01pm

clbirty

[8]Nov 6, 2010
    Bradley always looks hot, he has had his hair cut too. Poor uther doesnt have much luck, someone is always trying to kill him off. I would have thought gaius would have believed merlin that alice is bad news

pcdsa

[9]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 12
    Oh the hypocrisy of Uther when he looked Gaius in the eye and said under no circumstances would magic be allowed.

dpebbleson

[10]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 24
    I liked the episode! The fact most of the people didn't have big expectations helped it. It wasn't bad at all, it was very solid. I liked the sombre atmosphere, and how minimalistic it was, as there were basically just four characters - Gaius, Merlin, Alice and Uther. And each was given a specific viewpoint - a plus goes for characterization.

It's also good to see a Gaius-centred episode and to witness his emotions for once.

Manticore was genuinely creepy and convincing. All that talk about portals and other dimensions and planes of existence reminded me of H. P. Lovecraft which is always a good thing in my book.

Judging by the quietness of the episode, it feels like the calm before a storm. The promo for the next episode testifies to the fact.

XyFan

[11]Nov 6, 2010

Cool episode. so we got to see glowing eyes of Gaius.
    Uther with black eyes was really creeepy.

I LOVED merlin and arthur scenes ! there was only 2 of them but i replayed them many times haha ! a big hammer !!

NEXT EPISODE IS GOING TO BE FREAKING AWSOME... i want another weeeek please let me do the timeskip T_T i want to see itt..

classicallykit

[12]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 5

The episode was ok. Not one of favourites to be honest, but these 'filler' episodesnever arereally. Itwas nice to see Gaius to shine in an episode andto seesome more of his background. My favourite scene in this had to be the Merlin/Arthur scene when Merlin was talking about his fallout with Gaius, and Arthur's attempt at trying to cheer Merlin up. Otherwise he was a bit of a jerk to Merlin the rest of the time. I quite liked the Merlin/Gaius fallout parts too. They were well acted and I always like seeing an angsty Merlin. Colin does it soo well. I laughed when Merlin said sarcastically at the end, "because the dungeons are so well guarded" (paraphasing a bit there). He has a point though. I'm suprised that they didn't have the Queen of Evil Smirks' reaction to the dying Uther. I'm sure Morgana would have loved that.

*SQUEEE* for next week's episode!!! Looking forward to some Arwen epicness!!

Edited on 11/06/2010 4:57pm

Asesia

[13]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 5
    I think it was a good episode, wasn't one of my favorites but definitely not my least favorite.

-Really enjoyed Richard in this episode. He really put everything into it. And I loved his little reaction after he performed the magic.
    -Gaius performing magic!
    -No Morgana was very upsetting for me >:l lol.
    -Really like how they played to Merlin and Gaius upsets. to see their friendship tested.
    -Really liked the Merlin and Arthur scene's.
    -Can't wait till next episode ! Looks amazing!

leapinglucas

[14]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 3

In an effort to fan the flames of my flagging Merlin love, I have been avoiding Spoilers, even watched this ep on the Big Screen in the living room, instead of on my laptop in an effort to get the Epicness back -- so all I really remembered about this episode was that it was going to be "Gaius in Love", so I didn't hold out much hope.

But I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Every week I shore up my courage for another round of childish repetitive storylines, boorish Arthur/Merlin exchanges and clumsy overacting and yet instead we had this dark, rather intense little drama with few players but some little gems to discover for those who bothered to look. From what I can see around the net, most fans dismissed this episode for the lack of the younger actors -- but instead I really only tuned out in the Arthur/Merlin scenes. It's odd that I only became interested in this series due to the Arthur/Merlin interaction and now it's one of my least favourite things.

Manticores (who evolved to become the modern "Pomeranian" that we know today-- little known fact) are vicious little buggers, and I had a bit of a laugh at one of this series' classic tropes -- "head of a blank, tail of a something else…" I think the Dog Whisperer could have sorted him out, but alas, we are eight centuries too early. I liked the fact that Alice wasn't merely another possessed antagonist, nor was she completely innocent, having been tempted by dark magic but ultimately being unable to control it. Pauline Collins gave Alice just the right combination of guilt, determination, wistfulness and regret -- if only Katie had managed to imbue Morgana with some of these contrasting qualities. And Wow, Morgana Who? Don't miss her or her KILL UTHER KILL storyline at all.

But what really propelled this story for me was some long overdue backstory into Gaius' past and the friction this set up between he and Merlin. As I said, there were a few little gems here, although I gather most fans had tuned out by this point. Loved Merlin's shock as he discovered that this was a woman Gaius had once pledged to marry, and yet he allowed Alice to flee Camelot alone. You can see from the look on Merlin's face that Merlin would have followed such a love anywhere (and in fact intended to do just that when Freya was hounded out of Camelot). In a sense, Gaius' fear drove him to hide and bide his time, while Merlin is a character who tends to stand up for his beliefs and face fear head on. I liked the contrast -- that of Gaius who is a sorcerer of modest ability who survived by stealth and subterfuge, yet who admires characters like Alice and Merlin for their outstanding magical abilities (not that you see much of Merlin's abilities in this or any other episode, mind). I also like it when they explore the corruption of magic users, which in a way plays right into Uther's paranoia.

I loved that we again got to see Colin's more dramatic acting chops in the scenes where he observes Gaius lying and manipulating others and confronts Gauis about the truth. This had the effect of isolating Merlin from his mentor -- an interesting situation we haven't really seen before and what I imagine is a portent of things to come.

Then BANG, CRASH -- we are suddenly back to one of those IRKSOME Merlin/Arthur scenes drawn straight from the pilot some THREE YEARS AGO. Can I say again how STALE, BORING and REPETITIVE I find these Merthur scenes. I can't believe I was eager to get back to the septagenerian lovers action!!! Wow show, you SUCK sometimes! I know they were trying to make a point about Arthur's inability to relate to another male as anything but a potential sparring partner -- and Bradley, bless him, was really trying to deliver Arthur's self-knowledge of his own shortcomings by the perplexed and apologetic look on his face, but really that blokey aspect of Arthur's character has already been beaten to a pulp.

I do have to admit however, how much I love the adoration and loyalty Arthur has for his flawed father and the way he recognises that same relationship in Merlin's love for Gaius -- one of the few ways they are allowed to interact without turning it into some sort of immature joke. I much prefer Arthur in these quiet moments of introspection and concern, where the bully facade drops away. There was the moment by Uther's bedside (and props to the makeup department because he REALLY looked sick!) where Arthur was methodically narrowing-in on the conclusion that Uther can only have been poisoned by Gaius' potion and a moment where it looked like Merlin and Arthur might get on the same page again, for a moment -- but this series seems too afraid now to have Merlin and Arthur in the same scene together unless they are hitting each other, so another potentially important character moment got swallowed up again. Show, get some therapy. This is the 21st century!

Best line in the episode -- "There are no circumstance under which (magic) is acceptable." GUT PUNCH! The look on Gaius' face says it all. I love the way they have played with Uther's character this season -- victim and antagonist -- loving father and hypocritical a-hole, and ASH merges all those contrasting qualities into a believable whole.

On balance, I appreciated an episode that was a little more mature in intent than most eps this season. First episode I have really THOUGHT about since The Crystal Cave.

Edited on 11/06/2010 6:48pm

roswellnm1947

[15]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 2

I had the same reaction as leapinglucas to the A/M scenes. If you think way back to 1x01, you will remember that Merlin saved another servant running around with a target at which Arthur was throwing daggers and told Arthur "you've had your fun, my friend". Now, Merlin is running around with the targets 3 years later! Maybe the end of Season 3 and Season 4 will be better, but we'll see. As all of the fans keep saying, if you lose the basic A/M relationship, you've lost the core audience.

Wonder_

[16]Nov 6, 2010

I quite liked this episode, too. Agree about the Arthur/Merlin scenes, but the rest of it was pretty nice. Alice reminded me of Elena in 3x06, being a victim rather than a villain who is being used to do something evil. Merlin/Gaius scenes were very well acted. Looking forward to next week!

leapinglucas

[17]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 3
    roswellnm1947 wrote:
    I had the same reaction as leapinglucas to the A/M scenes. If you think way back to 1x01, you will remember that Merlin saved another servant running around with a target at which Arthur was throwing daggers and told Arthur "you've had your fun, my friend". Now, Merlin is running around with the targets 3 years later!

Exactly! And it's proof positive that in this respect, Arthur has not progressed as a character AT ALL. He is still bullying his manservant, but now that manservant is Merlin. If I remember correctly, back then Merlin denounced Arthur and said he "could never have a friend who could be such an ass." I thought that scene was meant to represent a Starting Point for Arthur not a fundamental part of his character that would never change. And what happened to Merlin? Have his standards slipped, or has he just become another lackey? In a twisted aspect of the cute "married couple" scenes we saw in the first eps of this season, Merlin has become like the abused wife who just can't leave the relationship.

Because that's what it is -- ABUSE -- both mentally and physically, and it's something I think is very unhealthy and unworthy of a future King Arthur, unless they are trying to make the point that the hero of legend was an exaggeration. It's usually the sort of character trait you find in the villain of the piece. And the fact that persons within the creative team find this abuse so endlessly funny that they put it in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE is frankly quite disturbing. I can't stress how much these scenes are like a gut-punch to my enjoyment of each episode. I'll be sitting there quietly, almost lulled into being involved in the ep and then WHAMMY, there's yet another incident of abuse. I really LOATHE it.

roswellnm1947 wrote:
    Maybe the end of Season 3 and Season 4 will be better, but we'll see. As all of the fans keep saying, if you lose the basic A/M relationship, you've lost the core audience.

I don't know if I'm anything like the "core audience" but it's certainly the way I feel about the series. Like it's lost its soul.

boom-moo

[18]Nov 7, 2010
    • level: 75
    I agree that the Manticore was really very creppy. Those teeth and the black eyes in Alice and Uther, ugh

Loved Merlin's line about Uther being a big hypocrite. And then it is magic of the darkest kind which saves Uther's life.

I squeed at Gaius and Merlin entering our tavern. And Lol, Evoric doesn't sound that different from 'Eric' after all

It was very cute of Gaius to say that there are better physicians out there than himself to protect Alice.

Am I the only one who finds Merlin's bows in front of the king highly amusing?

I didn't like that Merlin had to sleep on the ground since Alice was taking his room. Why couldn't she stay at her old house? And isn't it weird that after 20 years it hadn't been taken?

Lol at Geoffrey sleeping at the library.

Oh, I liked a lot that they showed a lot of different perspectives of the castle during this episode.

Some knights are thick indeed Lol

Meh at Gauis' fabric bag thingy. I like his weirdly shaped leather one better.

Not very clever of Gaius and Merlin to discuss at the top of their lungs in a hallway about Alice being responsible for the poisoning.

I like it that Alice wasn't mean after all but just possessed. I'm glad she escaped again. And I loved Gaius doing powerful magic!
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    Bradley was soooo hot in this episode... I think it must be the red shirt rolled back onto his arms but I was almost drooling when he was in Uther's chambers...
    I absolutely agree, I have a thing for men with pumped up arm veins.

pcdsa wrote:
    It was nice to see Arthur encourage Merlin with his punch in the arm
    It was. Arthur isn't good at expressing his feelings but he did a cute try to make Merlin feel better.

pcdsa wrote:
    Oh the hypocrisy of Uther when he looked Gaius in the eye and said under no circumstances would magic be allowed.
    Indeed, if he'd only knew his bum was saved with magic once again.

classicallykit wrote:
    I always like seeing an angsty Merlin. Colin does it soo well.
    Absolutely agree.
    classicallykit wrote:
    I laughed when Merlin said sarcastically at the end, "because the dungeons are so well guarded" (paraphasing a bit there). He has a point though.
    Lol, I laughed at that too. I bet the writers were having a wink at themselves.

ACDiNosey

[19]Nov 7, 2010
    • level: 28
    boom-moo wrote:

I squeed at Gaius and Merlin entering our tavern. And Lol, Evoric doesn't sound that different from 'Eric' after all

Great minds think alike! I was giggling away when I saw the sign and heard he was called Evoric, especially as Gaius was almost not pronouncing "vo"...

exactimondi

[20]Nov 7, 2010

As everyone is saying, as i wasn't expecting much from this episode it did surprise me. It wasn't really a stand-out episode for me but it definetly wasn't a terrible one. It was nice to see the loving side of Gaius,very different from his fatherly love towards Merlin. He is such a blind man when in love, poor Merlin.In short,steady, enjoyable filler episode.