Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x10 discussion - 'Queen of Hearts'

arwyn-t

[21]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 6

I cannot begin to say in how many levels I loved this episode! From the opening scene to the last minute, this was "Merlin" magic! I can't say anything else, other than I have to go watch it again! I mean, King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, a Merlin looking at them proud and free, sweet and then desperate kisses, brilliant old Merlin, it was AMAZING! Love, humour, disaster, fear, humour and triumph all in one episode! My congratulations to all who gave us such a delight, Colin, Bradley, Angel, Katie, Anthony, Richard, crew, you all rocked!!
    (did I mention *KING* Arthur?! -stupidest grin on- DDD)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pcdsa

[22]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 12
    Great review arwyn-t. I agree "Merlin" magic is back! After feeling pretty flat about Arthur this series I hope the remaining episodes keep on track.

classicallykit

[23]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 5

Oh my gosh!! I love this episode!!! I think it's the best so far! The only think that ruined it for me was the end where Uther still believes that Arthur and Gwen's love was a result of an enchantment, but we were all expecting that.

The open sequence with Arthur crowning Guinevere was amazing. She looked soo beautiful (soo was that dress)and Arthur wasn't looking too bad either. That crown really suits him! I love the close up of Merlin in that short. He's just soo adorable. Shame Morgana woke up though.

The picnic scene was soo sweet and beautifully shot and we got two proper kisses all in one episode!!! That second one where they were being dragged away from each other was epic! That was definitely my favourite scene of the episode!! Bradley was soo amazing here!!It's really good that Arthur was showing his true feelings for once. I mean he said that he loves her so many times!!! I can't believe that Uther hit Gwen though! But I love the fact that she was giving standing up to him a bit. It was nice to see some really good Merlin/Gwen friendship going on. I really missed that last year!

Old!Merlin was... wow!!! I laughed so much. I love it when he was telling Uther (and Arthur - especially about his treatment of his servant hehe) what he thought of him.

Morgana was such a ... evil little witch!! I felt a little sorry for Uther at one point when she 'invited' him to go for a ride with her. She was just using him to get rid of Gwen, but he seemed soo happy. I think 3x12 is going to be soo heartbreaking.I don't think the whole continuity issue was too noticeble really, especially if you didn't notice that the episode was switched with episode 8. It could have been worse.

I do agree that Elyan should have made an appearence, and Leon too. I miss him!

Edited on 11/13/2010 2:09pm
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[24]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 75
    classicallykit, I'm sorry but I had to edit your post to remove some spoilers

classicallykit

[25]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 5

Sorry EmbarassedI think I got a bit carried away. Thanks!

dpebbleson

[26]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 23
    Arwen shippers should be more than happy with this episode.

Morgana fans such as I - as well. Plotting Queen of Mean! : )

I sometimes think it'd be good if Morgana listened to Merlin and tried to influence Uther about things. It would definitely work. And they make for a very interesting father and daughter.

Haha about Old Merlin. I laughed when he started insulting Arthur and Uther, and Gaius was rolling his eyes, like, 'Come on, don't be that dramatic!' And amateurish!! : )

The whole Old Merlin incident must sound an alarm in Arthur's head. Everything was too convenient, he MUST start having doubts!! At least some doubts.

And when we're at that I liked when Arthur responded with "What's that supposed to mean?!" to Merlin's "You'd be surprised!".

Next episode looks underwhelming, but interestingly enough, these 'filler' episodes are somehow better for developing characters, and their relationships. So each can be precious in their own way.

boom-moo

[27]Nov 13, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    The whole Old Merlin incident must sound an alarm in Arthur's head. Everything was too convenient, he MUST start having doubts!! At least some doubts.
    Sadly, he'd probably just learn from it that magic is evil because he almost loses his love because of the enchantment of an old man.

I liked how everyone seemed to find old Merlin familiar though.

dpebbleson

[28]Nov 13, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Sadly, he'd probably just learn from it that magic is evil because he almost loses his love because of the enchantment of an old man.

I liked how everyone seemed to find old Merlin familiar though.

But if he found out, he'd see that magic actually rescued him. Wishful thinking on my part, I know, I know...

boom-moo

[29]Nov 13, 2010
    Of course, when he finds out. But I don't think he will until the reveal happens, right? As of now and things as they are it pretty much just undermined Arthur being any more ready for the reveal.

dpebbleson

[30]Nov 13, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    Of course, when he finds out. But I don't think he will until the reveal happens, right? As of now and things as they are it pretty much just undermined Arthur being any more ready for the reveal.

Yes, you're right. But interestingly enough, they did a couple of scenes with Merlin hinting at it (naturally, Arthur didn't get the hints), but conversely, they always develop the situations so that the secret is prolonged as much as it can possibly can.

boom-moo

[31]Nov 13, 2010
    Yeah, reset button is your friend

Farmerluk2

[32]Nov 13, 2010

Omg, such a bad continuation issue with the whole episode swap

What episode swap? Some explain?

XyFan

[33]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 4

Well i'm certainly not the ''calm'' watcher of this series.

It's like 0:00 am here and I was bursting out laughing ! i was jumping and laughing.. i hit my chair with my hand and laughed and laughed when merlin said everything he wanted to say to the Kind and to Arthur!!

and when merlin was running away in the end and he had to drink that drink.. i was yelling TRANSFORM! TRANSFORM! X'D
    And i woke up my parents T_T

is there everyone as crazy as me ? O_O

CLikesPie

[34]Nov 13, 2010

Oh my god I just love dthe episode from the beginning until the end

The beginning was so sweet I actually wish it will happen exactly the same way. Arthur and Gwen being happy as King and Queen, Merlin being smiley and proud,...all the Arthur and Gwen scenes were so cute I felt like I was on a sugar rush

Gwen/Merlin friendship for the win! How can someone not like these two?

Loved how Gwen noticed Morgana smirking in the background. I was always thinking she's too smart to not notice something, but then again Morgana is pretty good at playing nice with everyone. Apart from Merlin. I just love it when the two of them throw each other these "I hate you with all my heart" looks.

It was also great how Morgana was just so extremly confused about Old Merlin. I'm totally okay with her not having found out about Merlin long ago just because of this look of utter confusion in her face when old Merlin "confessed".

Farmerluk2 wrote:

What episode swap? Some explain?

episode 8 (The Eye of the Phoenix) and episode 10 have been swapped, they were aired out of production order. that explains why Gwen found out about Morgana having magic in episode 8 but she only started to grow suspicious in this episode.

XyFan wrote:

is there everyone as crazy as me ? O_O

yes, I'm exactly the same. I wake my parents all the time while watching Merlin

Edited on 11/13/2010 3:43pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dpebbleson

[35]Nov 13, 2010
    Ah yes it's brilliant someone finally noticed the Smirk of Evilness! : )

clbirty

[36]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 4
    Am so envious i havent been able to watch it yet got back late last night. It sounds like an amazing episode. Looking forward to it

illegalferret

[37]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 25

Aww I loved this episode

Gah where to begin... Arthur being all romantic with Guinevere in the woods, the whole don't move wasp bit was lovely! The galloping horses, you just knew it was all about to go horribly wrong! Evil schemingMorgana! Guinevere kissing Arthur. Arthur declaring his love for Guinevere was so exciting, it was almost as if he'd surprised himself by saying it! His reaction to them sentencing her to death was fantastic! That kiss!! It made me and my mum cheer!

Now Old Merlin... omg classic!! When he declared he was Dragon the Great...well that whole scene with Arthur had me and mum in hysterics!! And when he finally got to tell Uther what he really thinks of him! I liked how they all thought they'd seen him somewhere before. Loved Merlin's various attempts to delay the execution, "we can't execute you twice".

Overall brilliant! Highly entertaining and romantic!

Oh almost forgot, loved the scene between Arthur and Merlin. "You couldn't keep a secret if you life depended on it " "You'd be surprised" There was a moment there were Merlin was giving Arthur time to think about him and realise Merlin is keeping a secret that his life depends on!

boom-moo

[38]Nov 14, 2010
    illegalferret wrote:
    Arthur declaring his love for Guinevere was so exciting, it was almost as if he'd surprised himself by saying it!
    Yeah, he looked surprised and relieved.

illegalferret wrote:
    Loved Merlin's various attempts to delay the execution, "we can't execute you twice".
    Lol, for once Arthur had a bright mind to counter act Merlin's idea. I loved the way Merlin wrinkled his nose!

illegalferret

[39]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 25

I loved how Old Merlin was dead like normal Merlin! With all the silly comments like "ah you have caught me red handed" it just seemed right to me, like that is exactly how Merlin would act if he was randomly old for the afternoon!

boom-moo

[40]Nov 14, 2010
    Indeed, Old Merlin was very well written and Colin Morgan was once again absolutely amazing!