Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x10 discussion - 'Queen of Hearts'

pcdsa

[41]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 12

illegalferret wrote:
    I loved how Old Merlin was dead like normal Merlin! With all the silly comments like "ah you have caught me red handed" it just seemed right to me, like that is exactly how Merlin would act if he was randomly old for the afternoon!
    Yeah and that's how Arthur thought he knew him!

I started the day watching this episode. First time I've done that this series. I so love love love this episode.

Arthur has declared his love for Guinevere. I don't think she has for him. I would have loved her to say to Uther she loves Arthur.

I too liked the ensemble episode. Everyone had a definite role and Morgana reminded me of series 1 when she was with Arthur and Guinevere.

Even though I didn't like the reset at least there is no reset between Arthur and Guinevere. Also I can see no other possible ending other than Arthur and Guinevere leaving Camelot (with Merlin of course). Uther would never change his mind. But if they did that it would lead nicely to 3.12 and 3.13 The Coming Return of Arthur...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[42]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 75
    pcdsa wrote:
    I would have loved her to say to Uther she loves Arthur.
    But she told him that he wouldn't understand what true love is which made Uther slap her. I wonder if he married Ygraine for love or love came after.

pcdsa

[43]Nov 14, 2010
    classicallykit wrote:
    The open sequence with Arthur crowning Guinevere was amazing. She looked soo beautiful (soo was that dress)

I loved the dress for its understated elegance which is Guinevere. Morgana's showy dresses wouldn't suit her at all.

boom-moo

[44]Nov 14, 2010
    Another review here

The dress was amazing and Gwen looked gorgeous on it indeed. It is a really fine dress, with lovely fabric and delicate embroidery in the sleeves, which are open both in the upper arm and below the elbow and also in the bodice. The colours suited Angel's skin tone really well. Her hair was really nicely done too and the jewellery was elegant but not showy. The crown I didn't like much but hey.

I really can't wait for her to wear that dress but I guess we are gonna have to wait a long while yet...
    Edited on 11/14/2010 6:16am

clbirty

[45]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 4
    Finally watched it and i loved it. I always find i have eye strain after watching. As i dont want to take my eyes off the television. I like when Arthur is clumsy around Gwen. Loved the picnic scene and thought Colin did a great job. Would like to see the bloopers from that episode. Looking forward to tomorrow and the Dvd coming in the post

boom-moo

[46]Nov 14, 2010
    clbirty wrote:
    Would like to see the bloopers from that episode.
    Me too, I bet there were a few involving Old Merlin!

Review in sonet form here
    Edited on 11/14/2010 9:46am

BUmistress

[47]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 3

Well! I must say, Ep 10 was incredible! Beyond my expectations. Old Merlin's lines were so cheesy, and that's putting it mildly. But it made for such funny scenes! It's great that Arthur wasn't enchanted after all. The episode dealt with his true feelings/affections for Guinevere. Bravo! The only reset was... well, we all knew what we were in for to begin with. And Gwen's blue dress was so very lovely! Did anyone notice how both their kisses were stopped so abruptly? So many obstacles for them to overcome! Oh well. I'm sure that will make for some good episodes. I especially loved the last scene where Arthur pulls Guinevere aside and speaks to her. "My place is with you," he said. Very sweet. He's admitted to her that he loves her. I wonder when it'll be Gwen's turn. And when Uther hit Gwen... Good grief! If only Arthur had been there to witness that!

Lots of character development (though mainly Gwen and Arthur, of course). This is a positive sign. They're moving both characters along nicely. 2 thumbs up for Ep 10!

P.S. The dream sequence... During Guinevere's coronation, that beautiful piece of music we have all come to know, was playing. Do you think Morgana heard it too, since it was her dream? Hahahaha!!

pcdsa

[48]Nov 14, 2010

I have mixed feelings about that music - it is absolutely beautiful and perfect for A/G but I don't like the purpose TPTB have set for it!

BUmistress wrote:
    And when Uther hit Gwen... Good grief! If only Arthur had been there to witness that!
    I wonder if anyone will tell Arthur! I suppose Morgana is the only one likely to. What would he do to Uther?

Edited on 11/14/2010 10:15am

boom-moo

[49]Nov 14, 2010
    Well, he is letting Uther believe that his affections for Gwen were product of the enchantment so there's not much he can do about it now. But I guess it'd be something he'd always hold against his father.

linaurh

[50]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 1
    Arthur definitly should have suspected somthing... way too convenient... and i actually think there was a part of him that sensed it... when old Merlin confesses before Uther that he enchanted Gwen as well as Arthur theres this look on Arthur's face saying "you didn't enchant gwen... why would you take the blame" ... maybe im reading too much into it... but i kinda what it to be true I just have to add... AMAZING job Colin Morgan and Bradley James

boom-moo

[51]Nov 14, 2010
    Hello linaurh and welcome to the forum

I don't think Arthur did fully buy it, but it was too convenient for his interests to try and prove the old man wrong. After all, he was incriminating himself, nobody had accussed him so Arthur shouldn't feel bad about having a possible innocent executed.

But Arthur knows how he feels about Gwen since last series, so it doesn't make sense that he would believe that he was under any kind of enchantment.

ellac4

[52]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    I wonder if he married Ygraine for love or love came after.

Also, I wonder if it was one-side love on Uther's part. He's said several times how much he loved Ygraine -- although we now know that he apparently didn't love her enough to remain faithful to her. (I based this on the fact that Morgana doesn't appear to be that much older than Arthur, and Ygraine's barren condition was apparently an established fact for some time before Arthur was born.)

But all we've really seen of Ygraine was when Morgause conjured her for Arthur. She seemed very -- and justifiably - angry with Uther.

boom-moo

[53]Nov 14, 2010
    I'd really like to know more about Uther and Ygraine's past but I have a feeling that Uther didn't cheat on Ygraine. Morgana is older than Arthur (not that much older indeed) but still maybe a couple of years or three. I take it that back then married couples (especially kings) went for children from the very moment they got married, so I guess that after a year or so Ygraine could have been established as barren.

ellac4

[54]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    I'd really like to know more about Uther and Ygraine's past but I have a feeling that Uther didn't cheat on Ygraine.

You are a kind and generous soul to give him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent

Admittedly, it would be a nice contrast to all of his other hypocrisies and failings if he had actually been faithful to Ygraine. But I can readily see him as one of those entitled men who thinks there is no contradiction in saying that he loves his wife and that "comforting" his best friend's wife (while said best friend is off risking his life for him) is totally unrelated and totally okay.

Or, in other words, I'm still mad he slapped Gwen.Yell

boom-moo

[55]Nov 14, 2010
    I absolutely see your point, I actually think he could swing either way. But I want to believe that back then, when he married Ygraine, he wasn't a bitter man driven by hatred so I like to imagine that a really different side of him was once true.

roswellnm1947

[56]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 2
    I also enjoyed the episode and found the Arthur/Gwen story interesting. However, I still feel sorry for Merlin. He offers his own life to be burned at the stake to help his friend Arthur and his future queen, and what does he get -- scorned by Arthur and covered in dung from mucking out the stables.

exactimondi

[57]Nov 15, 2010

Awesome episode! :O Old Merlin having a go at Uther and Arthur made me lol soooo much I have to say though i did close my eyes and cover my ears just before Uther and Morgana found Arthur and Gwen.......

ral4884

[58]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 7

Loved the episode like usual... All the good points of the episode have already been touched on but i have 1 peeve thats been bothering me for the past 2 episodes. Every episode it's the same Morgana and Morgause always try to kill Arthur and he never dies. I dont have a problem with that but dont you think it's about time they realize someones helping Arthur? If i tried to kill someone, ( never would ) and my plan was spoiled like 5 times in a row i'd be like hmmmm..... something else is going on..... It always ends with Arthur riding his horse in and Morgana looking on from above with that disgusted face. Is she really that dumb>? They should have no clue it's Merlin but don't you think they should know by now that someones helping Arthur?

boom-moo

[59]Nov 15, 2010
    ral4884 wrote:
    They should have no clue it's Merlin but don't you think they should know by now that someones helping Arthur?
    Well, he managed to free himself from the magical chains, avoid the Serkets and get back to Camelot in flash time. I think they should be suspicious of him ever since 3x01 but hey.

madison188

[60]Nov 15, 2010

Such a good episode, however i don't see a huge problem with continuity. However for some reason i find the burger king crown looks bearable on gwen but just hideous on Morgana. I wonder how Arthur and Gwen will interact now that they have agreed to refrain from being seen together, aside from serving duties.