Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x12 discussion - 'The Coming Of Arthur, Part 1'

illegalferret

[81]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 25

boom-moo wrote:
    I think that Cenred didn't bother because he wasn't planning on joining in the fight at all (just like he didn't in 3x02). And Morgause doesn't seem to need to since the army is bound to her and she has magic to take care of herself (and it's not that she is gonna get close to the real struggle either). I'd say Morgause goes down and the army goes down with her. I take it Merlin will have to do with that, while Arthur does his best to survive wielding Excalibur.

I think you're right! Morgause has so much faith in her ability she would feel no need to make herself immortal. As she did the magic, she is in overall control so Merlin needs to get to her and kill her using magic whilst Arthur holds back the Army with Excalibur, as for what the others are going to do without a magic sword is anyone's guess!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[82]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 75
    illegalferret wrote:
    as for what the others are going to do without a magic sword is anyone's guess!
    Yeah, they aren't in an easy position at all It's really suicidal joining in a battle against immortals. I'd say more but I can't in this thread

telytubie

[83]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 3

The writers did seem to make it a point for Merlin to have some problem with healing spell...... the impression I get from Gauis conversation with Alice was that the healing spells are very tricky and need a unique talent, which Alice has. So maybe that's why they don't make it easy for Merlin. Was it just me or Merlin did a after his first try, knowing he didn't get it right and so try again? I thought he did succeed because Arthur woke up in his usual 'sunny' self and grumbling. Except for his wound I can imagine Merlin would not like to have to explain how it can heal overnight. He got away with the arrow last time, may not be the case this time with Gwaine around too!

As for Arthur treatment of the druid boy, maybe it's meant to show his distrust of people with magic and by the end of this episode, boy, he's going to need some serious convincing that magic can be use for good! Poor Merlin, his burden is getting heavier and heavier and it shows in his eyes from the moment Leon told Uther about the Cup right up to Morgana's coronation!

I don't really see Merlin having much chance to use magic in this episode. Even losing the cup was a split of a second incident because if you watch carefully, the soldier was actually throwing the cup down to the waiting soldiers below when Merlin strike him. You can see the surprise and dismay look on Merlin's face when the cup went flying in the opposite direction. Bear in mind that we, the viewers were watching in slowmo!

boom-moo

[84]Nov 28, 2010
    I think that Merlin's magic might have help with the fever, but not with the poison in the arrow since Arthur's wound remained infected and hurting after all. I like it that he is not able to heal yet, it'd make things way too easy and too convenient (one would expect tons more of unconscious Arthur and man, we do get more than enough as it is) so I hope it's work in progress for Merlin.

Didn't Geoffrey sound annoyed when he crowned Morgana Queen? Lol

ACDiNosey

[85]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 28
    I wondered whether Arthur was all that unconscious, because, really? An arrow in your leg renders you unconscious at once?

boom-moo

[86]Nov 28, 2010
    Merlin tell Gaius that the arrow was probably poisoned because he couldn't heal him with magic. I think that was a cue for Gaius to know what to give Arthur.

arwyn-t

[87]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 6

I've re-watched the scene with the Druid boy and honestly it doesn't seem that harsh to me. Arthur is not being evil or really frightening the boy, he shakes him yes, but he's not rough. And then the way he holds his sword against him, it's not that threatening. He's bluffing, totally. He doesn't trust the Druids, Uther has drilled that into him, but he would not harm them directly either.

I liked the choice of showing the aftermath of the battle in Camelot through the eyes of Arthur and Co, rather than seeing the battle itself. It was like we experienced the shock of finding a defeated kingdom with them.

What bugged me though was the total lack of soldiers inside Camelot after the battle. There are dead knights and the people have hidden in their houses, but from the thousands of evil soldiers none is in sight! Where did the hoards go? Back to Cenred's lands? Arthur and Co did walk for some days, did the soldiers leave during that time? Why didn't they encounter even some of those soldiers? That's one big plot hole IMHO.

Also... while Arthur's reaction to Morgana's crowning was played well by Bradley, I found Merlin's reaction a bit weak. Colin underplayed it for my taste.

All in all, a nice part 1, with the last minutes taking your breath away! It also turned out that my last week's speculations for this episode (poisoned arrow, Arthur returning too late) were right, wow me!

Edited on 11/28/2010 7:00am

boom-moo

[88]Nov 28, 2010
    arwyn-t wrote:
    What bugged me though was the total lack of soldiers inside Camelot after the battle. There are dead knights and the people have hidden in their houses, but from the thousands of evil soldiers none is in sight! Where did the hoards go? Back to Cenred's lands?
    Maybe they were burying Camelot's army of 10,000 (was it?)

arwyn-t

[89]Nov 28, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    arwyn-t wrote:
    What bugged me though was the total lack of soldiers inside Camelot after the battle. There are dead knights and the people have hidden in their houses, but from the thousands of evil soldiers none is in sight! Where did the hoards go? Back to Cenred's lands?
    Maybe they were burying Camelot's army of 10,000 (was it?)

Maybe, you're right.

telytubie

[90]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 3

arwyn-t wrote:
    Also... while Arthur's reaction to Morgana's crowning was played well by Bradley, I found Merlin's reaction a bit weak. Colin underplayed it for my taste.

IMO, Merlin looks more like he's starring dagger at Morgana While Arthur's Merlin knew this is going to happen. He saw it in the crystal cave and he knew Uther's secret. I don't figure anything there even surprise him. I'd say he's as cool as a cucumber compare to Arthur

boom-moo

[91]Nov 28, 2010
    I agree, Merlin knww both about the crowning and the link between Uther and Morgana. He was more worried about having Arthur stay put and quiet.

ACDiNosey

[92]Nov 28, 2010
    I agree with you BM. I think Colin totally went with the "concerned for Arthur's reaction" look rather than the astonishment at the crowning. I just thought it was more guilt and worry than any sort of surprise.

WitchyWeasel88

[93]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 14

arwyn-t wrote:
    I've re-watched the scene with the Druid boy and honestly it doesn't seem that harsh to me. Arthur is not being evil or really frightening the boy, he shakes him yes, but he's not rough. And then the way he holds his sword against him, it's not that threatening. He's bluffing, totally. He doesn't trust the Druids, Uther has drilled that into him, but he would not harm them directly either.
    I agree with you and if he'd wanted to make a serious threat that he was willing to go through with, he could and would have been much more violent about it.

boom-moo

[94]Nov 28, 2010
    He doesn't even get his sword close to the boy's neck, as someone said before. He keeps it down and never in contact at all with the boy's body. I never had the impression that he was meaning any real harm to the boy, he was just using him as an exchange token. Not nice indeed but still.

arwyn-t

[95]Nov 28, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    He doesn't even get his sword close to the boy's neck, as someone said before. He keeps it down and never in contact at all with the boy's body. I never had the impression that he was meaning any real harm to the boy, he was just using him as an exchange token. Not nice indeed but still.

Quoted for agreement. Not nice, but a bluff really.

ACDiNosey

[96]Nov 28, 2010
    Well, I agree in principle, but I think TPTB still made a point of showing Arthur recoiling at the thought of magic. I think it's quite obvious when Leon tells them about the druids. I feel he's trying to fight it, having seen how blind his father is, but he can't fight his own upbringing in this respect.

boom-moo

[97]Nov 28, 2010
    I see Arthur troubled/conflicted in the Leon scene too. I have the feeling that he wishes that Leon would have avoided mentioning any implication of magic not to get in trouble. Luckily Uther didn't take it personally on Leon (after all one of his best knights is back alive and there was nothing Leon could about being healed with or without magic). To me, it's not Arthur being conflicted between magic being right or wrong but between Leon telling about it or not. I think he wanted to protect Leon from Uther's anger and blindness when it comes to anything having to do with magic.

WitchyWeasel88

[98]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 14

ACDiNosey wrote:
    but I think TPTB still made a point of showing Arthur recoiling at the thought of magic.

I can't see much has happened from Arthur's pov since Sins of the Father to cause him to question this view of magic though. While I'm all for Arthur being accepting of magic he can't just keep flip-flopping from one view to another as he has before. I think a conflicted Arthur who is gradually swayed is the most appropriate given where his character is at the moment. Whether his character should have progressed further this series in another issue.

Edited on 11/28/2010 8:56am

ACDiNosey

[99]Nov 28, 2010
    Oh, and I thought it was VERY foolish of Leon to just explain what had happened to him. OK, he was "exhausted" but seriously, Leon, have you not learnt any better under Uther's rule?!

pcdsa

[100]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 12
    arwyn-t wrote:
    Not nice

Again quoted for agreement.

It was nice to see Morgana happy that Guinevere was with her - some return of her old feelings. She probably doesn't see Arthur and Guinevere as a threat now. With her immortal army, she can't possibly lose...

Does anyone know about the new crest i.e. the tree branches?