Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 3x12 discussion - 'The Coming Of Arthur, Part 1'

pcdsa

[121]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 12
    i.e. struck dumb...

So who's going to claim Cendred's kingdom? Morgana? Uther if he returns to the throne? Or will it lead to a battle between the neighbouring kings and the beginning of Arthur uniting the land of Albion?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[122]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 23
    pcdsa wrote:
    i.e. struck dumb...

So who's going to claim Cendred's kingdom? Morgana? Uther if he returns to the throne? Or will it lead to a battle between the neighbouring kings and the beginning of Arthur uniting the land of Albion?

Hmmm never thought of the last thing, but it might be exactly that. It definitely opens up such a possibility.

boom-moo

[123]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 75
    Morgana on her own won't be able to keep it. M&M together is a different story.

I guess that a vacant kingdom is too appealing for all neighbouring kings. Could lead to something good because peace treaties might not stand and Uther/Arthur might need to show diplomacy and strength to get their hands on it, but in the long run. After 3x13 Camelot is not gonna be as powerful as before though, so I don't think it's gonna fall into the Pendragon hands any time soon.

pcdsa

[124]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 12
    I'm wondering when the Fisher King told Merlin this...
    "Albion's time of need is near and in that dark hour you must be strong, for you alone can save her. Your powers are great, but you will need help. And that is what I'm giving you. When all seems lost, this will show you the way."
    ... it was about the M&M sisters with their immortal army conquering all the neighbouring lands. So that's Albion's (not just Camelot's) time of need is near etc so Merlin uses the water from the Lake of Avalon...

boom-moo

[125]Nov 29, 2010
    I take it that the Fisher King is saying that unless Merlin does his part with the help of the water thingy, there'll be no future Albion. Neither the M&Ms nor Arthur have united two kingdoms together yet.

3X12 Facebook review here

Edited on 11/29/2010 11:14pm

fantasymommy

[126]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 9

Do we know the name of Jarl's castle?

boom-moo

[127]Nov 30, 2010
    fantasymommy wrote:

The real thing? I believe it is Chepstow Castle in Wales.

fantasymommy

[128]Nov 30, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    fantasymommy wrote:

Wow..it's amazing that you know that, but I was referring to what it might have been called in the show...I was pondering about it's strategic location but dare not say more in this thread...*off to spoilers:-)

RedMatrixx

[129]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 5

I forgot to mention that I thought Merlin would use that magic water thingy to reverse time and prevent this from happening. It's a common thing that writers fall back on. -- show a possible future and then have the protagonist fix it.

fantasymommy

[130]Nov 30, 2010
    RedMatrixx wrote:

I forgot to mention that I thought Merlin would use that magic water thingy to reverse time and prevent this from happening. It's a common thing that writers fall back on. -- show a possible future and then have the protagonist fix it.

ooohhh...I hope not! Resets are very frustrating:-( I don't think we have been given any indications that the water from the Lake of Avalon will do that...but all things are possible 'in a land of myth and a time of magic'...

boom-moo

[131]Nov 30, 2010
    oi, no resets for me either.
    fantasymommy wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    fantasymommy wrote:

Wow..it's amazing that you know that, but I was referring to what it might have been called in the show...I was pondering about it's strategic location but dare not say more in this thread...*off to spoilers:-)
    Well, Cenred mentions that Jarl has been working the western border and Arthur and Merlin are made prisoners right after they trespass the border between Camelot and Cenred's kingdom. I take it that the castle is in Cenred's kingdom but very close to its border with Camelot.

How that fits in the map, it's another story.

telytubie

[132]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 3

Actually, I've just noticed Arthur's pointing the sword toward Iseldir, not the boy. The angle just made it looks like it's near the boy.

To Arthur......"By taking the Cup of Life, you risks more than you know!" Sounds like the druids may know what's going to happen. Maybe it's in the prophecy?

To Merlin..... "The Cup is in your care now, guard it well. The future of this land depends on it" I just feel that the Cup's meant to be given to Merlin all along, just like Taliesin was meant to show Merlin the crystal cave and the Fisher King waiting for him to give him the water of Avalon. They all called him "Emrys" and they're all connected.

The crystal cave show Merlin Morgana's going to be Queen...... the Fisher King gave him the *help* he'll need to save the lands from the Queen...... the druid gave him the Cup that'll make Morgana the Queen..... Merlin's to loose the cup (well, technically it's Arthur who lost the cup) for these events to come true. Probably to bring about changes that'll be needed for the future, we dont know yet. So maybe what the druid meant was Merlin must reclaim the Cup and guard it.

boom-moo

[133]Nov 30, 2010
    I also think that the Druids knew all along about the events to unfold. They seem to be aware of Merlin's destiny and of the struggles that will take place before he fulfills it.

fantasymommy

[134]Nov 30, 2010

[QUOTE="telytubie"]

Actually, I've just noticed Arthur's pointing the sword toward Iseldir, not the boy. The angle just made it looks like it's near the boy.

I'm glad you pointed that out...I honestly hated that scene. Arthur was such a bully...I know he just escaped from a slave trader but the entire interaction with the boy was awful..too much Uther in that scene for me. I refuse to watch the scene again...just wont do it!

Edited on 11/30/2010 4:00pm

Liviana178

[135]Dec 2, 2010

Yohoo, finally I can write again .

First of all: I really loved this episode. I don't think that Arthur wanted to hurt the druid boy, he just wanted to get the cup because his father wanted him to do so. But there is nothing else I didn't love . And I agree with most of you.

Just one point I wanted to mention: In my opinion, the scene where Gwanie and Arthur argue who of them both would have won the fight between them makes it really clear to me that Arthur treats Merlin and Gwaine as equals. If he wasn't, he surely wouldn't argue with Gwaine but say something like "Shut up, I'm the prince, you have to do as I say". And that he doesn't rebuke Merlin for his clearly spoken words also shows to me that he listens to Merlin as an equal and not as a prine to his lower servant.

I'm really looking forward to next episode but I'm also sad that it will be the last episode . Well, we still have this forum, haven't we .

boom-moo

[136]Dec 2, 2010
    Liviana178 wrote:
    Yohoo, finally I can write again .
    Couldn't you before?

Liviana178 wrote:
    In my opinion, the scene where Gwanie and Arthur argue who of them both would have won the fight between them makes it really clear to me that Arthur treats Merlin and Gwaine as equals. If he wasn't, he surely wouldn't argue with Gwaine but say something like "Shut up, I'm the prince, you have to do as I say". And that he doesn't rebuke Merlin for his clearly spoken words also shows to me that he listens to Merlin as an equal and not as a prine to his lower servant.
    Arthur seems to be more relaxed when he is out of Camelot indeed, as if he doesn't really care much about etiquette and titles. He's had really great moments with Merlin when on their trips, and he is more keen to listen and open up in turn. However, in that particular scene you mention I think that the fact that all three of them were in a slave trader's hole pretty much made them equals, so that also computes in the way he behaves once they get out of there.
    Edited on 12/02/2010 11:35am

Liviana178

[137]Dec 2, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    Couldn't you before?

No, my computer crashed and at my sister's computer, however, I couldn't "login" .

boom-moo wrote:
    Arthur seems to be more relaxed when he is out of Camelot indeed, as if he doesn't really care much about etiquette and titles. He's had really great moments with Merlin when on their trips, and he is more keen to listen and open up in turn.

I agree with you here.

boom-moo wrote:
    However, in that particular scene you mention I think that the fact that all three of them were in a slave trader's hole pretty much made them equals, so that also computes in the way he behaves once they get out of there.

You got the point . Sorry for my bad spelling and expression .

boom-moo

[138]Dec 2, 2010
    That's too bad, sorry about that.

Liviana178 wrote:
    You got the point . Sorry for my bad spelling and expression .
    Good, at first by "Arthur treats Merlin and Gwaine as equals" I thought you meant that Arthur treated Merlin and Gwaine as equals between them, excluding himself. But I think that the whole situation they re-met Gwaine in put things in perspective.

ManiacBishop

[139]Dec 2, 2010
    • level: 2
    i particularly loved the fact that uther told him in no uncertain terms to go completely alone... the next scene is him and merlin packing... LMAO. I mean with the King starts treating them as virtually inseparable and/or arthur assumes he's going to be wherever he is you know there's a rididulously obvious tight bond between them. Also, he sends gwaine elyan and gauis out to the forest and on turning around, realises that Merlin is still there, gives him the obligatory opt out (like a friend - not a prince) and smiles like a schoolboy when he says he'll stay. I think they are beyond adorable. The bromance between them is much better than gwen/arthur or even gwen/lancelot (and i'm a girl who lives on romance).

boom-moo

[140]Dec 2, 2010
    Uther is pretty funny telling Arthur that he can't tell about the quest to anyone, that no one can be trusted but then he has had the whole chat about the Cup of Life with Gaius in front of Merlin. I like how Merlin looks to the ground as if whistling: 'I haven't heard anything at all'.