Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 4x02 "The Darkest Hour Part 2" discussion thread

PenguinSuzie

[101]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 10
    JJuna wrote:
    we need much more backstory on Agravaine, and yet I found him compelling.
    Me too . I wasn't really bothered that he was shown as the bad guy right from the start, there's plenty of room for surprising turns with his character. I just hope they really use him and let us know more about his motivations or his own actions outside of with Morgana.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[102]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 75
    Overnight ratings for the episode here.

BrightlyLit

[103]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 5

I'm glad you folks have brought that up about whether Agravaine knows about Arthur and Gwen. I have been quite confused about that and the scene with him and Morgana did not make it clear at all.

Another thing I want to get clarification on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point in time, aren't Arthur and Merlin the only ones who know about Gwen and Lancelot? Morgana never knew about it, right?

LizzyGlue

[104]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 20

BL, I remember it the same as you do: Only Arthur and Merlin ever knew about the feelings Gwen and Lancelot shared earlier on (1x09, 2x04). Morgana only knew about the feelings of Gwen and Arthur for each other (3x07, 3x10).

BrightlyLit

[105]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 5

LizzyGlue wrote:

BL, I remember it the same as you do: Only Arthur and Merlin ever knew about the feelings Gwen and Lancelot shared earlier on (1x09, 2x04). Morgana only knew about the feelings of Gwen and Arthur for each other (3x07, 3x10).

Well, If Uncle Ag. and/or Morgana find out about G/L, look out.

boom-moo

[106]Oct 10, 2011
    4x02 filming picture here.

Reviews here, here, here and here.

po_nochka

[107]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 3
    Is it just me, or does Arthur looks like he actually hear something when Merlin dragon!lords those ( do not ask me to spell them pls) creatures?

Merlin sounds more like when he healed Morgana, than when he is dragonlord, but I suppose when one tries to "whisper" something that must be yelled out that's what you get. Even Lancelot seemed to not hear him, his reaction was not shown.

boom-moo

[108]Oct 10, 2011
    po_nochka wrote:
    Merlin sounds more like when he healed Morgana, than when he is dragonlord, but I suppose when one tries to "whisper" something that must be yelled out that's what you get.
    That's how I see it as well. And I don't think anyone noticed

Connor91

[109]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 6
    I liked the ep, didn't think it was as strong as the first part but it was by no means one of Merlin's weaker episodes. My main negatives were that there was quite a lot of filler (Lancelot and Merlin staying in that house, Morgana trying to kill Gwen, etc.) and there were a few plot holes and unexplained conclusions which characters jumped to without much grounding in fact. My favourite bit of the episode was Gwen talking to the council. And on a purely superficial note I thought Katie looked STUNNING when she was walking through that corridor/tunnel in Camelot.

Next weeks ep looks exciting

po_nochka

[110]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 3
    boom-moo wrote:

You mean here or in the episode?

There are more holes in that episode than a plot, but I still loved it. I like serious Merlin when he does not have to pretend to be an idiot all the time and this was one of those. It's not often he gets well deserved praise.

illegalferret

[111]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 25

I watched this as it aired on saturday and i haven't seen it again since so this is going to be a very patchy review!

Overall i enjoyed it. I'm loving the Merlin and Arthur relationship, it seems to be stronger than ever and that all makes me very happy indeed! Agravaine slightly creeps me out the scene with Guinevere was particularly creepy! I don't like the character but then again i'm not sure we're meant to like the guy! I have to admit though i wish they'd left it a bit later in the series before Gaius and Merlin discovered he works for Morgana because now in the same situation we were in last series with someone close to Arthur working for the other side and Merlin not being able to tell Arthur about it. I too am sadden by the falling iq of the lovely Gwaine hopefully this is just a small blip as the writes try and get used to a much larger cast. I've shockingly managed to remain pretty much spoiler free so the death of Lancelot was a bit of a surprise (not massive as the built up to it through out the episode) The ending was quite touching in my opinion.

That's it for now, there maybe more once i've rewatched later in the week!

boom-moo

[112]Oct 10, 2011
    po_nochka wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:

You mean here or in the episode?
    Sorry, I meant in the episode.

jaqtkd

[113]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 6

I've just rewatched the episode and there was a look of surprise on Arthur's face just as Merlin started his spell but ... watching very carefully - Arthur's looking up at the sky at a wyvern whilst Merlin's crouching down, with his back to Arthur while he chants.

Oh, and I love Merlin's 'dragon spell' voice too - whether whispered or shouted - I think Colin tends to use his more natural speaking pitch for the dragon Old German (along with a nice bit of post production echo), and his higher Merlin voice for the Old English spellsTongue out

boom-moo

[114]Oct 10, 2011
    4x02 filming scenes here thanks to archaeologist_d.

dpebbleson

[115]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 23
    I too noticed Arthur's look of surprise. Who knows, maybe Arthur is secretly making a list of these weird situations, or this might just start him thinking.

About Merlin's "dragon spell voice", I've always found it a bit too loud. When he calls the Dragon, that is. When he calls the wyverns, he can obviously do it in with a whisper...

ACDiNosey

[116]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 28
    I thought a bit strange that Sirs Leon, Elyan and Percival were left behind to fight the wyverns. Seemed a bit unfair. Why couldn't they all go in?

dpebbleson

[117]Oct 10, 2011
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    I thought a bit strange that Sirs Leon, Elyan and Percival were left behind to fight the wyverns. Seemed a bit unfair. Why couldn't they all go in?

The narrative strategy that leaves Merlin, Lancelot, Gwaine and Arthur with the Gatekeeper. Then Gwaine gets knocked unconscious; Arthur too; and then Merlin can perform his magic

Imagine if they were all there, listening him being proclaimed as not yet ready to die, being called Emrys, and all that...

ACDiNosey

[118]Oct 10, 2011
    Oh I know it makes sense plot-wise, but seriously: "Go in, we'll play with the wyverns outside while we wait" is a bit of a feable excuse

dpebbleson

[119]Oct 10, 2011
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    Oh I know it makes sense plot-wise, but seriously: "Go in, we'll play with the wyverns outside while we wait" is a bit of a feable excuse

Yeah, you're right, it's feeble, and unfair, but you know, plot-holes in service of a plot

TPeopleTB

ACDiNosey

[120]Oct 10, 2011
    I know, I know... i know there were plot holes the size of my fist in there, but somehow it didn't prevent me from enjoying the episode