Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 4x04 "Aithusa" discussion thread

JJuna

[41]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 11

boom-moo wrote:
    I for one enjoyed the comic bits in this episode far better than Goblin's Gold. I prefer this kind of filler eps.

Agreed, I'd also have to say that I found the comedy far more appropriate in this episode than the last one. I did actually laugh this week

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[42]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 10
    I enjoyed this episode a lot, everything with Merlin & the dragons was just wonderful. There was humour in this EP too. Yes it's probably better if Arthur is on the receiving end of the embarrassment. The council trying to keep a straight face was great. I enjoyed Borden's character, he's an ambitious morally grey guy. Thinking about it I'm actually ok with Gaius being the one to tell Arthur about the egg so he'll go after it, then blaming Merlin, as he probably felt duty bound to report a possible danger and would do anything to stop Borden getting the egg. The baby dragon at the end was absolutely lovely. As was Kilgharrah's reaction to seeing the egg, and Merlin crying in joy, and the fact that they actually showed it hatching . Two mentions of Uther in one scene, even if they were talking about King Arthur and the past, I'm glad they mentioned him a bit at least. Merlin got a chance to be badass. I'm actually a little bit glad that we didn't get a scene of Agravaine reporting to Morgana about all this.

Hopefully they'll include that and all the others from this season in Deleted Scenes on the DVD.

boom-moo

[43]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 75
    I know that Merlin is not to blame but something I didn't like much is when Merlin gives Borden the key to the vaults and tells him that he'll have to go through the guards, Borden takes out a big knife and says that it won't be a problem, implying he'll most likely kill them. Merlin doesn't react to that at all, as if considering those guards collateral for the greater good.

Also, are Arthur, Agravaine & co checking out the Camelot map that the BBC released? I liked that

JJuna

[44]Oct 22, 2011

boom-moo wrote:
    I know that Merlin is not to blame but something I didn't like much is when Merlin gives Borden the key to the vaults and tells him that he'll have to go through the guards, Borden takes out a big knife and says that it won't be a problem, implying he'll most likely kill them. Merlin doesn't react to that at all, as if considering those guards collateral for the greater good.

Yes, I was surprised by that as well. It doesn't seem in character for Merlin. In the past, he has taken trouble to distract or knock out the guards. However, I don't think they were actually killed, but still, it was strange.

boom-moo

[45]Oct 22, 2011
    No, they weren't, but Merlin didn't seem to care if they were which didn't sit right with me. He could have accompanied Borden and distract the guards himself, although I guess that he didn't want Borden to find out that he has magic.

JJuna

[46]Oct 22, 2011

I realize that people do not always act consistently, but when they do something so out of character, you can only at the writing...

boom-moo

[47]Oct 22, 2011
    Just because it it is very hot

legend-dreamer

[48]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 13
    boom-moo wrote:
    Just because it it is very hot

Two thumbs up. Very hot. Too bad we don't have a Merlin one.

dpebbleson

[49]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 23
    Another short review, one of my friends just watched the episode, and he said it was 'super!'

jaqtkd

[50]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 6

As usual I struggle to give a coherant account of an episode until a second viewing and a good night's sleep but I will say now that it was very enjoyable and it was nice that it was less angsty than the previous ones. I am totally loving the way the character of Merlin is being portrayed in this series. Far more bamf!Merlin than last series and I just want to see more of it!! Tongue out

You're mostly girls here, yes? I am too but I'm also a serious Tom Boy and find it interesting that most of you feel that the knights were being cruel. I don't see it like that - it's just the way that boys typically bond - especially Brits. It's their way of saying 'I really like you and we're good mates'. Their 'jokes' on Merlin were their way of showing how much they cared. If they didn't respect him they'd have just ignored him.

Early on in my relationship with my hubby, I noticed that he didn't make fun of this one guy that I knew he didn't like - even though he constantly teased his mates (and me for that matter). He just shrugged and said, "He's not worth my time. I only bother to make fun of people who are worth the effort."

Now look at those scenes again with that comment in mind. Wink

In fact, you can view the whole Merthur friendship in that light!

dpebbleson

[51]Oct 22, 2011
    Well, I'm a guy and I perfectly understand what you mean, and it's mostly true, but they actually didn't bother if he ate or not, and also they were very immature compared to him in this particular episode.

But yeah, you can only have true fun with a true friend, other people wouldn't get it, or it would feel out of place indeed.

boom-moo

[52]Oct 22, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    legend-dreamer wrote:
    (I can't recall if the sex of the baby dragon was mentioned).
    I don't think it was, but for some reason I think of Aithusa as a he. However, for dragons to live on... do Kilgharrah and Aithusa need to mate? Lol, that'd be weird.

I thought it was she, actually Maybe because it ends in -a..
    Upon rewatch I just realized that Kilgharrah says: "You named him after the light of the sun".

jaqtkd

[53]Oct 22, 2011

Also, as a servant, their reaction to him is actually pretty affectionate Tongue out I agree they came over as more immature than Merlin but then, isn't that rather the point. They're all young men but Merlin is ... rather more - even if he still makes mistakes at times.

boom-moo

[55]Oct 22, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Well, I'm a guy and I perfectly understand what you mean, and it's mostly true, but they actually didn't bother if he ate or not
    What do you mean? They saved him a plate of food.

jaqtkd

[56]Oct 22, 2011

Yup, they did. They were just teasing him and also, as a servant, their reaction to him is actually pretty affectionate. Tongue out You honestly can't see the knights from previous series bantering with him like that.

dpebbleson

[57]Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks, Esther! Now we've got two last ones of a kind...

Makes me think: if it was a girl, then Kilgarrah would be a much older suitor, I could only imagine the jokes. And since two males can't ever make a baby, I guess the jokes have been averted

jaqtkd wrote:

Also, as a servant, their reaction to him is actually pretty affectionate Tongue out I agree they came over as more immature than Merlin but then, isn't that rather the point. They're all young men but Merlin is ... rather more - even if he still makes mistakes at times.

Yeah, yeah, it shouldn't be taken too seriously, I concur I know when I meet up with friends and we order, say, a pizza, it's always fairly divided, and also there's the division of labour involved, so it's not about one person doing everything, but yeah, there's always humour involved.

It doesn't disturb me that much actually, just noticed it was a bit out of place, and also, it seems that it was director's intention to see Merlin frustrated over not getting to eat, and doing most of the work, at one point you could see a really tired look on his face.

legend-dreamer

[58]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 13

jaqtkd wrote:

As usual I struggle to give a coherant account of an episode until a second viewing and a good night's sleep but I will say now that it was very enjoyable and it was nice that it was less angsty than the previous ones. I am totally loving the way the character of Merlin is being portrayed in this series. Far more bamf!Merlin than last series and I just want to see more of it!! Tongue out

You're mostly girls here, yes? I am too but I'm also a serious Tom Boy and find it interesting that most of you feel that the knights were being cruel. I don't see it like that - it's just the way that boys typically bond - especially Brits. It's their way of saying 'I really like you and we're good mates'. Their 'jokes' on Merlin were their way of showing how much they cared. If they didn't respect him they'd have just ignored him.

Early on in my relationship with my hubby, I noticed that he didn't make fun of this one guy that I knew he didn't like - even though he constantly teased his mates (and me for that matter). He just shrugged and said, "He's not worth my time. I only bother to make fun of people who are worth the effort."

Now look at those scenes again with that comment in mind. Wink

In fact, you can view the whole Merthur friendship in that light!

Good point. Yes I was looking at it from the female emotional end....looking at it as guys hanging out together puts a different spin on it.

jaqtkd

[59]Oct 22, 2011

Yeah, as was stated earlier, I think that is a deliberate plot point. The knights are just teasing him - not thinking of it as anything more than affection but, for Merlin, he feels the frustration. The constant feeling of the power he actually has and has to hide. Tonight was such a good example of that - especially in the final confrontation with Julius. The initial reluctance to reveal his true self and then .... Wow! Won't it be great when he does that in front of everyone?!Surprised Hopefully.

dpebbleson

[60]Oct 22, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Well, I'm a guy and I perfectly understand what you mean, and it's mostly true, but they actually didn't bother if he ate or not
    What do you mean? They saved him a plate of food.

In the first case, but in the second they ate everything before he could grab a bite, hence they were all poisoned, and he wasn't.