Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 4x06 "A Servant Of Two Masters" discussion thread.

jaqtkd

[81]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 6

I still a little surprised by the 'humour' people keep mentioning in episode 3. There were a few scenes that raised a much needed smile in a very intense episode. A few scenes of Dragoon being Dragoon (not at all out of character) Arthur quite understandable serious throughout and some tender friendship moments at the end.

Having some humour and light relief during dark moments is one of the reasons why this show works for me and is the main reason why 'Camelot' did not!

Anyway, I digress.

No character on this show is truly 'black or white' that is what is so good about it. Merlin has flaws as does Arthur, which is as it should be in a book, tv show or film. There should be no place for Mary-Sue characters in a good story. Equally, the baddies are not just bad for the sake of it. We know why Uther was as he was and we know why Morgana has turned and why she thinks she's doing the right thing. As such, that Merlin/Morgana scene was about two protagonists involved in an epic battle where each try to gain the upper hand in order to achieve their goal. Morgana's constantly nervous about Emrys and his power and Merlin just wants to survive for long enought to get that jar. He may or may not have checked on Morgana once he turned young again but, as we can see from the scene straight after the fight, he could barely light a fire to burn the creature, never mind do anything else.

Yes, Morgana should have checked on Merlin and not assumed he was finished - as should Merlin - but neither of them have had much experience of fighting in that situation. Usually when one attacks they don't have to worry about their opponent fighting back. They're both young and have much learning to do (another one and a half series to be precise) . Personally, I was just delighted to see Merlin using his full magical powers for once.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[82]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 75
    zantha wrote:

when he not her back with teh whirl wind.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.
    zantha wrote:

she was still knocked out when Agravaine found her. when he left without cheking if she was alive.

Why should he have checked / cared if she was alive after she had enchanted him, turned him against Arthur and then tried to kill him? After all the times she's tried to kill him and everyone he cares for?

zantha

[83]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 3

he tryed to out and out kil her when they were frinds, killed her sister. yet she healed his wound. yes wa sueing him yes, but he is meant to be teh heor. it was not very hero, good guy like to not make sure she was alive or dead. which is fine it's teh fact that he still never gets called on all the peopel he has killed, because ultmitly he is a cowered.

Connor91

[84]Nov 6, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    Connor91 wrote:
    I would have liked for Morgana to at least try and stop the whirland as opposed to just stand there with her hand out, but that was my only real gripe.
    I think that she was holding her hand out because she was trying to stop the twister, or at least preventing it from hitting her.

Sorry I probably didn't explain myself, I meant making more of that scene like having her trying to force the twister back towards him, seeing it move and then seeing Merlin ultimately overpower her. I just think it would have been a good way to establish that they are magically on par with each other (but that when in need he can overpower her). The way it was just made her look weak imo. I just want them to do something which establishes Morgana as an actual dangerous threat, its starting to become 'lol, morgana is gonna try again - just give up already!' rather than 'oh no, morgana has a new plot'.

boom-moo

[85]Nov 6, 2011
    Morgana has to thank her sister (who shamelessly used her) for Merlin's attempt on Morgana's life. And Merlin killed or almost killed Morgause after both sisters have tried to have them killed and countless others. And Morgana heals Merlin's wound because he needs him healthy to be possessed by the Fomorroh and carry out Morgana's plan, not because she is Mother Therese.

Being a hero doesn't mean being putting the other cheek every time you get a slap. And again, Merlin kills to defend/save lives that have been threatened, and as per lately, threatened by Morgana's schemes.

zantha

[86]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 3

yes, but her sister cared enough to stop the spell to save her. merlin on the other hand could have talked to her rather than kill her.

wilfeli

[87]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 5

Connor91 wrote:
    Sorry I probably didn't explain myself, I meant making more of that scene like having her trying to force the twister back towards him, seeing it move and then seeing Merlin ultimately overpower her. I just think it would have been a good way to establish that they are magically on par with each other (but that when in need he can overpower her). The way it was just made her look weak imo. I just want them to do something which establishes Morgana as an actual dangerous threat, its starting to become 'lol, morgana is gonna try again - just give up already!' rather than 'oh no, morgana has a new plot'.

If you watch closely, you'll notice that he casts spell, she tries to stop whirlwind (and manages to do it for a while), but then he sort of ups his efforts and overpowers her. It's subtle, but you can tell that she isn't as powerful as he, but still can hold her ground for a while.

boom-moo

[88]Nov 6, 2011
    I read it the same way, wilfeli but it's true that it could have been made a bit more clear that she managed to stop the whirl for a bit.

PenguinSuzie

[89]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 10

boom-moo wrote:
    She wouldn't have to worry about him getting the jar if she would have finished him. I fail to see the logic in getting the jar, giving her back to him (he might as well have killed her when she wasn't looking) and walk away.
    I actually kind of like to think she was showing some sense and not underestimating him even though he was injured and seemingly 'helpless', I kind of like it that she seemed to take the opportunity to take what she needed and leave, rather than the infamous bond villian speech of defeat with the expected fail.
    zantha wrote:
    there agenda is to avange the horror of teh great purge, or to bring magic back. just like merlin. he just gets away with it. who has morgana or anyone killed that was just for fun and didn't have a goal to bring magic back behind it. when he not her back with teh whirl wind. she was still knocked out when Agravaine found her. when he left without cheking if she was alive.
    Merlin wants to return magic to Camelot, but he doens't want revenge or to use violence to get there. Morgana and many of the villians have killed innocent civilians who were no danger to them or their plans and yet were slaughtered. 2x02 with the skeletons, the masses of people killed also by armies and the Dorocha. She kills for things like making a point and to hurt others by killing innocents in front of them.

I really think that he wanted to leave without another fight where she might spring back up from the heap on the floor. I don't think it's necessary for him to have gone over to check if she's still alive. He probably already knows given the force of the spell, maybe only inteded to knock her out cold.

zantha wrote:
    he tryed to out and out kil her when they were frinds, killed her sister. yet she healed his wound. yes wa sueing him yes, but he is meant to be teh heor. it was not very hero, good guy like to not make sure she was alive or dead. which is fine it's teh fact that he still never gets called on all the peopel he has killed, because ultmitly he is a cowered.
    He only did that to save Camelot and she even knows that. He never did it out of malice. Merlin is not a coward ! He doesn't exactly go out of his way to kill them, they are trying to kill him and destroy his friends and home. Morgana may have actually been cleaning his wounds to make sure they didn't get infected and so he didn't die before he could kill Arthur. Though I'd kind of like to think it was at least out of general courtesy.

Connor91

[90]Nov 6, 2011
    zantha wrote:

yes, but her sister cared enough to stop the spell to save her. merlin on the other hand could have talked to her rather than kill her.

I actually quite like that Merlin is being cold with Morgana, its nice to see him actually have negative emotions towards someone. I never understood why he was always defending and saving Uther and why he saved Morgana's life in series 3, the whole 'because he's good' just doesn't wash. I like that, as Colin says, he's in fight mode with Morgana.

And this is coming from a Morgana fanboy who would like to see her triumph (and knows it shall not happen lol).

jaqtkd

[91]Nov 6, 2011

As I'm a bit of a Dark!Mergana shipper, I also like to think that their subconscious sometimes holds them back when it comes to each other. That they like to think they're being totally ruthless with the other but still part of them, deep down still cares. Morgana did seem to be very eager to stop Agravaine from killing Merlin. Merlin as Dragoon was, indeed, just trying to get out of there and avoid a fight and I too, like to think that some little part of Morgana actually wanted to heal Merlin even though she would never, ever admit that to herself or anyone else. All in all, these two are always brilliant to watch on so many levels.

PenguinSuzie

[92]Nov 6, 2011
    I think his saving Uther and Morgana was largely due to not wanting Arthur to suffer. When Morgana was dying, so many people that he loved were devastated. He cared for them as well, Morgana used to be a friends, and he's seen enough of Uther to know that he's a truly broken man, one who loves his family though.

I'm surprised Merlin isn't more cold with her. Do you think the reason he never fought back when she was putting the spell etc on him in the hut was because he was tired and injured and it may have even skipped his mind, I think he was afraid. He is exceptionally powerful, but he still gets scared, also he's kind of been conditioned into thinking revealing his magic willingly to anyone is one of the worst things he could do. After all if she found out he really would probably have to kill her so she didn't spill the beans to everyone. Or use it against him.

boom-moo

[93]Nov 6, 2011
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Do you think the reason he never fought back when she was putting the spell etc on him in the hut was because he was tired and injured and it may have even skipped his mind, I think he was afraid. He is exceptionally powerful, but he still gets scared, also he's kind of been conditioned into thinking revealing his magic willingly to anyone is one of the worst things he could do. After all if she found out he really would probably have to kill her so she didn't spill the beans to everyone. Or use it against him.
    I think he didn't fight back not to reveal that he has magic.

jaqtkd

[94]Nov 6, 2011

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Do you think the reason he never fought back when she was putting the spell etc on him in the hut was because he was tired and injured and it may have even skipped his mind, I think he was afraid. He is exceptionally powerful, but he still gets scared, also he's kind of been conditioned into thinking revealing his magic willingly to anyone is one of the worst things he could do. After all if she found out he really would probably have to kill her so she didn't spill the beans to everyone. Or use it against him.

Yes, this is being mentioned before as a plot hole but it's now happened enough times to see a pattern. It was the case in 3.10 too when his anti aging spell backfired it was as if he panicked and then couldn't even use the easy spells to get himself out of a fix. He's so used to only performing magic when no-one's looking it's almost as if it's a mental block. Being Dragoon has made that easier for him and, after this episode and all the incredibly powerful magic he used with such ease, I wonder if Merlin will now start to have more confidence in his abilities and not get as many of these 'blocks' in the future?

boom-moo

[95]Nov 6, 2011
    So jaqtkd you think that not being for a mental block he would have revealed his magic to Morgana not to be enchanted by her?

PenguinSuzie

[96]Nov 6, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    I think he didn't fight back not to reveal that he has magic.
    I think that's the reason.

Also I meant that with her finding out and him having to kill her, I really don't think that's something he wants to do. Regardless of her current goals and threat etc. As I don't think it's in his nature, I think directly killing is generally a last resort. Also she used to be his friend and even now I don't think he activly wants to see her dead.

jaqtkd wrote:
    Yes, this is being mentioned before as a plot hole but it's now happened enough times to see a pattern. It was the case in 3.10 too when his anti aging spell backfired it was as if he panicked and then couldn't even use the easy spells to get himself out of a fix. He's so used to only performing magic when no-one's looking it's almost as if it's a mental block. Being Dragoon has made that easier for him and, after this episode and all the incredibly powerful magic he used with such ease, I wonder if Merlin will now start to have more confidence in his abilities and not get as many of these 'blocks' in the future?
    I agree, and I'd like to see him being more confident and using more powerful magic and not being so afraid to use magic. He's always so worried that someone will find out. Which is a valid fear, but especially when he's not seen by others as 'himself' then it'd be nice for him to keep that kind of confidence.

Tankim

[97]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 4

jaqtkd wrote:

We know why Uther was as he was and we know why Morgana has turned and why she thinks she's doing the right thing.

No, we don't know why Morgana turned that bad and evil. And besides, Uther wasn't as he was because depending on what writer worked for an episode, he acted differently and contradicted himself almost from one episode to another. Anyway, this isn't the right topic for Uther or Morgana, yet we don't know why Morgana has turned that evil and nuts.

I agree that the characters are not ony B&W and have flaws, except Morgana. She IS evil, at least she has been since season three. Maybe this will change someday, but for now she is just bad and insane. And therefore quite boring as a villain.

wilfeli

[98]Nov 6, 2011

Passing thought, could Merlin simply think that F.. creature won't be able to control him because he has magic? So he simply doesn't see it as a dangerous and life threatening situation worth fighting Morgana back with magic? After all he knows that he is very powerful and isn't familiar with F...creature at all.

PenguinSuzie

[99]Nov 6, 2011
    Since he isn't familiar with the creature, I doubt he'd assume he's to powerful for it to control. It doesn't really sound like him to me, to assume it wouldn't work. I don't think he's the type to underestimate.

wilfeli

[100]Nov 6, 2011

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Since he isn't familiar with the creature, I doubt he'd assume he's to powerful for it to control. It doesn't really sound like him to me, to assume it wouldn't work. I don't think he's the type to underestimate.

Well, I don't see fear when Morgana implants this snake, only disgust (but that might be me), that's why I'm trying to find reason for him not taking this treat seriously, after all she wants him to kill his destiny and usually he is extremely protective about Arthur.