TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 4x06 "A Servant Of Two Masters" discussion thread.

boom-moo

[101]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 75
    I'm with PenguinSuzie, Merlin has seen too many things of magic against which he has needed his best and even the dragon's and Gaius' help to defeat. I don't think he takes anything for granted.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[104]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 10
    I think like jaqtkd said that he really doesn't want to use magic in front of her and isn't used to doing it in front of anyone. I think he was angry at her at the time, I can't remember if at that moment he looked afraid, though I imagine he was a bit, probably surprised too. I think he just really doesn't want to show he has magic. Maybe he assumes like most of her plans that it will just fail . (Though I don't think he thinks the snake can't control him, that's not what I mean, I really don't actually think he'd underestimate the threat.) Though I think he just really don't want a confrontation and is perhaps in no condition to really fight her.

For a moment at the end of this EP, I thought they'd really killed Morgana off. I was thinking that that would be a shocking decision for them to make. Agravaine just looked so sad.

jaqtkd

[105]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 6

Tankim wrote:

jaqtkd wrote:

We know why Uther was as he was and we know why Morgana has turned and why she thinks she's doing the right thing.

No, we don't know why Morgana turned that bad and evil. And besides, Uther wasn't as he was because depending on what writer worked for an episode, he acted differently and contradicted himself almost from one episode to another. Anyway, this isn't the right topic for Uther or Morgana, yet we don't know why Morgana has turned that evil and nuts.

I agree that the characters are not ony B&W and have flaws, except Morgana. She IS evil, at least she has been since season three. Maybe this will change someday, but for now she is just bad and insane. And therefore quite boring as a villain.

Okay, I'll rephrase that and say, it's obvious to me why Uther was as he was and Morgana has turned. Sorry if that was unclear I keep forgetting that some don't see sense in their journey & destination.

Whether or not we see the progress/character development, its the shades of grey which make all characters interesting in all story telling. Which, again explains why these later series work for some of us and not for others; but I consider them to be interesting villians rather than just being bad for the sake of it and it's one of the many reasons I love the show so much.

Boom-moo ... you asked whether I thought Merlin would have revealed his magic to Morgana if he'd not been scared? I'm not sure; Colin has said there's no way he would and I think that at first he was simply prepared to die at her hand rather than reveal it and, when he did realise what she had planned, it was rather sudden for him to think of any other option.

boom-moo

[106]Nov 6, 2011
    jaqtkd wrote:

Boom-moo ... you asked whether I thought Merlin would have revealed his magic to Morgana if he'd not been scared? I'm not sure; Colin has said there's no way he would and I think that at first he was simply prepared to die at her hand rather than reveal it and, when he did realise what she had planned, it was rather sudden for him to think of any other option.

I don't think that Merlin thought that Morgana was going to kill him (she had kept him alive with a reason as she explains herself to him). If that would have been the case and he would have feared for his life, he might have tried to fight her magic back because it wouldn't have made any difference that she learns about it if he ends up dying at her hands.

JJuna

[107]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 11

Merlin has been in too many crises to have been fazed or intimidated by Morgana. He has managed to extricate himself countless times from seemingly impossible situations, and would no doubt trust that he would be able to do the same again. He kept a cool head on his shoulders, and never lost sight of his long-term objective, which was to ensure that Morgana did not discover that he had magic. Gaius had warned him only recently of how dangerous that would be.

jaqtkd

[108]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 6

Can I also say that I loved Gwen in this episode and this pic by Chirravufever is cute and awesome.

Photobucket

boom-moo

[109]Nov 6, 2011
    Lol, cute indeed!

IceDog96

[110]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 2

I genuinely think Morgana suffers from Schizophrenia, but it wouldn't be diagnosed at that time. Because (although I'm a shipper) it does seem odd how she wants him to be completely comfortable one minute - cleaning his wound, drying his clothes (I assume) to wanting him to experience the most pain of his life. Like with Aggravaine, likes him one minute, incensed with him the next and Uther .etc.

dinamo

[111]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 3
    Slightly off topic from the recent discussion but I liked the fact that Morgana was able to heal Merlin relatively easily, its harks back to the legends a bit. It also shows that even though he's more powerful there are still things she can do well that he seems to struggle with.

camelotkitty12

[112]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 5

Not sure if this is on topic here...

But Morgana was facing EMRYS and due to the vision she had abt him, she MUST have suspected that he had magic. Trouble is, she doesn't know yet that Emrys and Merlin are one and the same. So I think that's why Merlin doesn't want to fight Morgana just yet. As Emrys, he does it, but---he still has a good heart, soI'm thinking that's why he won't kill morgana outright....even tho she is the one causing the chaos. Plus---with that ageing spell, wouldn'[t it be possible for Emrys to have stronger powers? Just thinking out loud.

I got to say-- I really loved the comedic touches by george. Only, WHY was he wearing almost the same clothes as Merlin? Oh and that pic image of gwen hitting merlin is soooo adorable!! I wish I cud make something like that.

fantasyfreak77

[113]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 14

Bit late again to add my review...

I was extraordinarily impressed with Katie in this episode. All of the Merlin-Morgana moments were absolutely incredible and perfectly chilling. So awesome. The more confrontations we see with Merlin and Morgana, the happier I'm gonna be.

Merlin-Arthur bromance galore! I was so happy to see that hug (that was so sweet) and to hear some of the things that Arthur was saying! I'm just so upset that Merlin wasn't in his right mind and won't remember any of it. Arthur's speech to Merlin after he was injured was my favorite bit, I think, and I loved seeing Arthur trying to talk about trust with Merlin and about other matters, as if seeking his advice. That is such a big step from last episode. I hope that this trust and relationship does not fade and become completely non-existentin the next episodes.

Bradley had some cute parts here with not only Merlin but with Gwen too. Kudos to him. I loved the end scene when Arthur was "punishing" Merlin by making him spend time with George. And I'm loving the tavern joke. I'm a sucker for running jokes.

Each of the Merlins Colin played, young-Merlin, Old-Merlin / Dragoon, and Not-in-his-right-mind Merlin were hysterical. I love how Gaius said, "We're lucky you're such a horrible(?) assassin" And him running clumsily into the wall after trying to attack? LMAO! Dragoon's reaction when Morgana entered and then left in fear? hehehehe. The sarcasm directed towards George about polishing armor? Colin continues to shine. Sooo funny. I think that that is one thing that the writers managed to keep very, very steady (characterization-wise): Merlin's sense of humor. The comedy was brilliant in this episode.

Gwen with the jug! It reminds me of Rapunzel and her frying pan in Disney's "Tangled". Lol

I was slightly disappointed with the battle. They were thrown to the ground once to many times for my liking. I would have liked a bit more variety in the spell-casting.

Another winner for me.

boom-moo

[114]Nov 7, 2011
    fantasyfreak77 wrote:

Merlin-Arthur bromance galore! I was so happy to see that hug (that was so sweet) and to hear some of the things that Arthur was saying! I'm just so upset that Merlin wasn't in his right mind and won't remember any of it.

Well, he well remember all that Arthur told him when he was injured.

Also, I'm not sure that Merlin is not able to remember anything from the time he was under Morgana's spell. I think he doesn't remember anything having to do with the mission he was enchanted to accomplish (kill Arthur) but that he remembers all the rest (the way to Morgana's hut, for example). I'll have to rewatch to be certain because I remember him telling Gaius that he only remembered having been enchanted by Morgana, but there was little else worth mentioning that wasn't related with killing Arthur, which had occupied Merlin's time and mind completely. So I still see plausible that he might remember the way back to Morgana's hiding place.

LizzyGlue

[115]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 20

I was thrilled after this episode. The character relationships and humour were great. The plot was actually quite believable this time, it can't be perfect. The pot-slapping had me in stitches and the scene with a nude Arthur surprised by Gwen and Gaius almost killed me. I really enjoyed Gwen's acting and comedy timing.

I was so relieved to be able to thoroughly enjoy this episode, specially considering that I've been rather disappointed earlier in the season. Truly a great episode, the best yet for me!

@jaqtkd: Thank you so much for sharing this epic pot-slapping pictures

boom-moo

[116]Nov 7, 2011
    Trish, for you to pretty up

Arthur's attributes to being the great king of legend:
    -He fights the mercenaries bravely.
    -He saves Merlin's life and puts him to safety out of the mercenaries' reach. He tries to reassure him that he'll be alright by using humour and pretending that his wound isn't too bad. He refuses to leave Merlin behind when they are forced to escape on the run from the mercenaries and he fights them for both their lives.
    -He praises Merlin's courage and loyalty.
    -He reassures Gaius that Merlin is gonna be alive and he doesn't give up on finding him and spares no men or efforts in the task. He doesn't take the negative reports as a final answer and decides to go search for Merlin himself.
    -He misses his manservant and doesn't want him to be replaced even for one far more capable. He clearly misses the man and not the servant.
    -He is truly happy to find Merlin, pulling him into a hug not afraid to show affection/emotion.
    -He says that Merlin is the only person he can trust.
    -He has been thinking and looking into the matter of the traitor, asking around and drawing his own conclusions. It brings him no pleasure though to doubt of his uncle.
    -He reckons that despite his father prepared him well for being, he didn't foresee the loneliness of it, the pressure of having all eyes on himself while waiting for him to provide with answers. He wishes he would have his father's certainty, security and strength. He knows he is not in that place yet and values the guidance of others but at the same time he realizes that he might have been foolish to blindly trust those around him as everyone seems to have their own agenda. He feels like he can trust no one any more.
    -He thinks of an appropriate punishment for Merlin's 'absence while hanging out at the tavern'.

dpebbleson

[117]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 24
    So basically, one Agravaine's Advance, in the way he held Morgana in his hand, tenderly and all.

No Premonitory Dreams, no Smirks of Doom.

boom-moo

[118]Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks

Morgana's premonitory dreams:
    -None.

Morgana's smirks of doom:
    -None.

Agravaine's advances on Morgana:
    -1: the tender way in which he held Morgana in his hands.

fantasyfreak77

[119]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 14
    boom-moo wrote:
    Agravaine's advances on Morgana:
    -1: the tender way in which he held Morgana in his hands.
    LOL. I thought he adopted a Prince-Charming-like stance when he was on his knees beside her. Had to share because it made me giggle.

merthurwen

[120]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 4

I've noticed that in about every episode Morgana says she is the rightful heir to the throne. Why? I've tried to figure out her claim to the throne and I can't. From what I recall she is the bastard born daughter of a king. Any of his natural born heirs would be the rightful heir. In this case Arthur. I know Uther was said to have conquered Camelot but even so he would have had to have royal blood to be made king or married someone was in line to the throne. But even if Igraine and Morgana's mom were sisters if Igraine was the heir who married Uther Arthur would still be the rightful heir. Anyway if anyone has a better handle please help.