Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 4x12 'The Sword In The Stone Part 1' discussion thread

illegalferret

[61]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 25

I had loads of things i wanted to say about this episode, but i've forgotten most of it!

I enjoyed it, though it definitely felt like you were watching half a story, i really need to see part 2! On a simple level part of the plot was like last series final Woman takes over Camelot with a King and a traitor inside the city, but other than that most of the story was different. Merlin enchanting Arthur to get him out of Camelot was interesting, i liked how Merlin made Arthur do the washing up I think it was revenge! I was also very pleased to have Gwaine back to his normal self, defending his friends and making jokes in dangerous fights. If they kill him off i will cry! Tristan and Isolde were interesting characters, i'm not totally sold on them yet, i want to see what they're like next week before i make up my mind on them. The reunions between Merlin and his mum was wonderfully done simple but effective, as was in my opinion the reunion between Arthur and Guinevere. It ended to suddenly for me, mainly because i thought there was another 5 minutes to go! But the constant chasing, being hunted down added tension to the episode.

Overall a return to the old school Merlin, serious moments (torture, violence, betrayal) with comic moments (tree hugging?!!!). I enjoyed it

The ratings were probably that good because it was sandwiched between the 2 parts of the final of Strictly Come Dancing, it attracted just under 13 million!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sparklingwater

[62]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 4

arwyn-t wrote:

I've had enough.

[....] They choose the easy and silly ways out, they ignore common logic and continuity [...]

This episode felt like different pieces loosely put together. It had no depth. And in the end, I felt guilty for having laughed, because people back in Camelot were, well, dying meanwhile. Unlike 3x12 where the feeling of dread was there, 4x12 is like "ooh, Camelot is down and Arthur is playing the simpleton". Excuse me?

I have very low expectations of the finale. A thousand Excaliburs drawn by a thousand Arthurs are not enough, if The Reveal doesn't happen. This simpleton servant to a misinformed ignorant King has gone on WAY too long. The series needs to grow up, to mature. Slow-motion looks epic, but is just a cheap trick. Well written, consistent scripts are what give the episodes solid foundations and depth. So far, I've seen very few of those and 4x12 certainly is not.

I'm not expecting 4x13 to be either…

Isn't that what I have always been saying since The Wicked Day? See, sometimes humor and drama don't go together very well and obviously it strongly depends on what character is the victim of the misplaced humor

At the risk of getting suspended again like me and some others did before just because of negative critizism, I'd like to add my thoughts about this episode, the first one I've watched since 4x06.

In my opinion the humor wasn't so bad and Arthur as a simpleton was indeed funny, yet it would have been a better idea to put this situation into another epsiode and not into the finale when Camelot falls - again, I have to say - and when people are suffering at the hands of the invaders, like Elyan being tortured, to mention just one example. Although I liked this episode I think it was rushed again, like almost every epsiode in which very important things are happening. For some reason I didn't notice Arthur's boots when he actually was wearing sandals but I did notice that Ealdor suddenly must have migrated from Cenred's to Loth's kingdom. Anyway, the only thing I'd like to know is why Agravaine is so devoted to Morgana. Everything else will end the usual way, I suppose and there is not much left for me I'm eager to know.

The complaint about the taxes surprised me a little since Camelot has always been known as a land of wealth and prosperity with a fair king from season one till now, or better, fair kingS now that Arthur is in charge. I doubt that Arthur has raised the taxes.

It's a pity that Tristan and Isolde haven't been around from the very beginning of the season for I think they are very interesting characters. Other than the once so interesting Morgana who obviously has gotten rid of everything that makes her human and instead continues to be the one dimensional villain on the show.

The episode was okay but not really epic. And so was the cliffhanger. In my opinion.

Edited on 12/19/2011 2:18am

wilfeli

[63]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 5

I think it's too early to form opinion about a first part of two parter which is meant to be seen together with second part. So far so good, but I'll wait till next week to rate this episode and season as a whole.

LizzyGlue

[64]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 20

I've watched last night and found this to be a solid part one. I enjoyed seeing Merlin "in charge of Arthur" for his own good. Though he enjoyed it --he's only human-- he was not keen to use the spell on Arthur at the beginning, which was sweet. Arthur in his new clothes was actually funny playing the simpleton. I like how the Arthur/Gwen reunion took place. Most of the talking-things-out between them has yet to happen but will likely happen off-screen. Arthur's line to Tristan about being richer than he knows was priceless

I'm looking forward to seeing Percy and Leon find Arthur and help save the day. They, along with Gwaine and Elyan were fierce fighters against such cruel odds, as we expect them to be Poor Gwaine got recruited into Morgana's fight-club, and he fought as much with his wits as with his physical strength. Defending Gaius, Gwaine was at his best. Go Gwaine!

I'm glad the predictable plot of Arthur's gold being stolen by thieves - that got in my head the minute Merlin took it for safe keeping - did not unfold.

@boom-moo: I was also glad there was no repeat of the Morgana crowning scene!

Tristan and Isolde are the first guest stars - apart from Helios - to really not impress me. Isolde's acting was fine, but Tristan's I found artificial and hollow. I felt no chemistry from them as a couple. I found it odd that they would flee with Arthur at the end of the episode when she is wonded and Arthur's the one being pursued

Ever since 4x09 Lancelot du Lac, I've hoped for Morgana to tell the truth about Lance in a final S4 confrontation with Arthur or one of the KORT. Her obsession with finding him has strengthened this hope

(Hope this works, the site has locked me out since last night and it just took 45 minutes to log back on )

zeencat

[65]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 10
    I absolutely loved this episode. Season four has been fantastic so far but they are certainly raising the bar. I can't wait to see how it plays out next week.

Connor91

[66]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 6

dpebbleson wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    And why does she want to kill Arthur so much?
    Because as long as he is alive, he'll try to gain the throne back. And he does not only have a claim to the throne but the love adn respect of the people of Camelot, something that Morgana lacks. Getting Arthur out of the way would be other way of turning the people towards her, if anything because they have no other choice.
    Yeah, but she's somewhat too fanatical about it, the way she says it sounds very personal and not simply utilitarian, so to speak.
    I think she sees him as being like Uther in terms of his attitude to magic. You have to remember that Morgana doesn't know all the prophecies regarding Arthur being a great, fair king the same way Merlin does, all she knows is that he is Uther's son and was raised around Uther's beliefs. I understand why she has it in for Arthur. Out of all the characters, possibly with the exception of Gwaine and Gwen, I actually understand and sympathise with Morgana's motivations the most. Plus the fact that Uther never acknowledged her as his daughter because of Arthur probably adds to her hatred as well.
    ShonaHerring wrote:
    Connor91 - lol there probaly is somthing in their contrats that say they cannot be in a scene together

But iv'e gotta say Morgana being my favourite character she's done incredibly well this series . I just hope that noughing bad (Dieing etc) will happen to her next week if so i wont whatch merlin anymore

Oh god I would be distraught if she died, she's my favourite character as well. I was always certain none of the core 4 would die but seeing as they killed off Lancelot I don't think its completely implausible. And although I'd like to see more shades of grey in her character (which is the writers' fault, not Katie's imo), I would definitely take Darth Morgana over whiney Morgana from s1 and 2 and sheep Morgana from s3.

Edited on 12/18/2011 9:20am
    Edited 3 total times.

jaqtkd

[67]Dec 18, 2011

Sparklingwater wrote:

The complaint about the taxes surprised me a little since Camelot has always been known as a land of wealth and prosperity with a fair king from season one till now, or better, fair kingS now that Arthur is in charge. I doubt that Arthur has raised the taxes.

What I have enjoyed so much about series 4 is how the story arcs have tied in so much more than previous years and lots of little plot points connect to ones in later episodes. In 4.03, if you remember, Arthur's talking to Uther about how the council want to increase the taxes but that he, Arthur, thinks that the people are already too heavily burdened. Nothing more is said, because it seems to be an insignificant bit of chat to get to the meat of the scene where Uther remembers it's his son's birthday.

But, we can assume that, since he's been King, Arthur will have probably kept them as they were before, feeling quite pleased at how generous he's being, only to have Tristan tell him that they are still too high.

It's a constant financial burden of all governments. Have low taxes and keep your people happy but don't have much spare money to make your kingdom wealthy. Or have high taxes so you can have have a prosperous Kingdom and protect your people with large armies and make your people dislike you because they don't have enough money to feed their children.

Uther's taxing policy was probably like his 'international' policy - harsh, but fair. Arthur, we understand, is going to bring about something new and different and this latest scene - like the issue with Queen Annis - was setting things up nicely for his new, unique role in series 5.

merthurwen

[68]Dec 18, 2011

arwyn-t wrote:

I've posted a huge review in my Live Journal, I don't think I should copy/paste it all here, so I'll just go for my final points:

Arthur is a simpleton, he's a coward that denies who he is, he's half-wit, he doesn't question much after he regains his mind and he and his kind bring nothing but misery to the land. Is it me, or do others feel uncomfortable with all those things too? Arthur was enchanted into a simpleton, he was enchanted into a coward, he's not half-wit but misinformed most of the time, it's the plot that requires him not to question and the misery is the opinion of a gold-loving smuggler. All in all, Arthur in this episode is a most abused character, manipulated and twisted for plot. And what is the main plot point?

Merlin cannot show his magic.

-sigh-

I've had enough.

It's not Arthur or Merlin who is the coward. It's the writers. The writers don't have the intelligence to write something fresh and solid and they don't have the guts to do the reveal. They choose the easy and silly ways out, they ignore common logic and continuity and think they are the best. Well, not to me.

This episode felt like different pieces loosely put together. It had no depth. And in the end, I felt guilty for having laughed, because people back in Camelot were, well, dying meanwhile. Unlike 3x12 where the feeling of dread was there, 4x12 is like "ooh, Camelot is down and Arthur is playing the simpleton". Excuse me?

I have very low expectations of the finale. A thousand Excaliburs drawn by a thousand Arthurs are not enough, if The Reveal doesn't happen. This simpleton servant to a misinformed ignorant King has gone on WAY too long. The series needs to grow up, to mature. Slow-motion looks epic, but is just a cheap trick. Well written, consistent scripts are what give the episodes solid foundations and depth. So far, I've seen very few of those and 4x12 certainly is not.

I'm not expecting 4x13 to be either…

You are not alone. Unlike you I loved the episode but I also noted that Arthur was made to look the coward in front of the men he will later need to lead. I also thought the scene with Arthur/Gwen was well done...because of the situation Arthur was in, but if left as is it also undermines his authority and makes him look weak. But I'm beginning to think that maybe that's the point.

That said this show has grown up quite a bit. It is very limited by it's format 13 45min eps is too few in my opinion to accomplish what it attempts on the other hand It's also the reason there is still so much story to tell. I don't agree with you about the reveal, personally I don't want it and I think Merlin's magic is overused and that in itself undermines Arthur's character but on the occasions it has to be used I wish they were more creative in hiding it.

Sometimes I think that people miss how well this show depicts human nature. Yes Camelot has fallen. People have died...others are suffering but life does go on even in the midst of anguish and suffering people smile laugh and make do until they can do better. They are not going to please everyone but for me it's the frailty of these characters trapped by human conditions that give the story depth...heck like you I'm likely on the way out but I still recognize that for the most part this is a good show. The acting by ABC has been brilliant Mr McCready's cinematography is beyond words and while the writing has improved I just can't get behind the overt sexism and misogyny of 4x09 or the fact that instead of resolving it, they seem to be planing to use it.

@ sparkling water...please don't let that suspension be a deterrent to speaking your mind. I know I won't because while this is a wonderfully organized site the attempts by some to influence and stifle opinion is so not good thing.

Edited on 12/18/2011 10:28am
    Edited 2 total times.

arwyn-t

[69]Dec 18, 2011

merthurwen wrote:

I don't agree with you about the reveal, personally I don't want it and I think Merlin's magic is overused and that in itself undermines Arthur's character but on the occasions it has to be used I wish they were more creative in hiding it.

How can the series progress if there is no reveal? How can Merlin progress? How can Arthur? How many times will the truth be known only to Merlin and Gaius, hidden to Arthur and bad things happening because of it? How much more will a simple minded manservant Merlin be OK?

I don't remember who said it first, it wasn't me, but the truth is that Merlin is now slowly starting to betray Camelot by not revealing his magic. He has the intelligence to make Arthur understand, he has his trust and he has the power to beat Morgana a thousand times over. And what does he do? Just secretly lit up flames to smuggle enchanted Arthur out of Camelot, leaving the people undefended at Morgana's mercy. What happened to the "if it comes to a choice between saving lives and revealing my magic, there is no choice" Merlin?

Arthur's character is undermined by denying him respect and choices. Respect as in not lying to him and questioning his intelligence and choices as in letting him decide when *all* the evidence is laid out in front of him. He left Camelot in 3x12 because he had no choice, why would he not leave it again in 4x12? Why take his free will away without even *asking* him, reasoning with him?

Merlin's magic overused? Maybe. Single-used? Definitely. It's used mostly for Arthur's sake. On a grand scale, against armies killing people, ah, no, people are expendable. However, I do not want to see an omnipotent Merlin that gets his way with a flick of his wrist. That kind of power brings fear. I want to see a Merlin acknowledged for his gifts and ready to contribute as best as he can. And I want an Arthur that respects those gifts and takes advice from them. I want an Arthur that follows Merlin's advices because he *knows* where they come from, from wisdom and magic and all.

I've had enough of herb picking, peeing and behind the back enchanting. *That* is slowly getting from being white little lies to grey betrayal territory. Because, I betray someone not when I save him behind his back, but when I manipulate him behind his back. Merlin manipulated Arthur in this episode. He saved his life yes, but with a grey way to do it.

It will take an extraordinary act for 4x13 to be special and for me to like it. And it does not include a sword raised from a lake pulled from a stone.

Sparklingwater

[70]Dec 18, 2011

jaqtkd wrote:

Sparklingwater wrote:

Uther's taxing policy was probably like his 'international' policy - harsh, but fair. Arthur, we understand, is going to bring about something new and different and this latest scene - like the issue with Queen Annis - was setting things up nicely for his new, unique role in series 5.

Interesting, jaqdt. You could be right on this and it's not that I would assume that Uther was such a nice guy who lowered the taxes so much that everyone could buy their own castle. I agree that taxes have always been necessary and that especially in the dark ages people suffered from them even more than we would ever do today. On the other hand I wonder why so many things that have been mentioned in season 1 are so often completely overlooked in the following seasons. We got the impression that aside from Uther's hatred for magic that people in Camelot had a good life and didn't lack of what they need. When now making high taxes a subject, it contradicts the plot from season 1, at least according to what was said and shown. And I also wonder how Arthur would want to change that when especially now Camelot needs a bigger army after the events of season 3 when the they were reduced to half, plus the next attack in the season 3 finale that again cost many lifes and ressources.

merthurwen wrote:

@ sparkling water...please don't let that suspension be a deterrent to speaking your mind. I know I won't because while this is a wonderfully organized site the attempts by some to influence and stifle opinion is so not good thing.

Thanks merthurwen. I guess it should be possible to exchange different opinions in a civilized manner without getting punished.

arwyn-t wrote:

How can the series progress if there is no reveal? How can Merlin progress? How can Arthur? How many times will the truth be known only to Merlin and Gaius, hidden to Arthur and bad things happening because of it? How much more will a simple minded manservant Merlin be OK?

I could live with the reveal happening at the end of the last season, if I continued watching, but I can also understand that a lot of people can't wait for it to happen. That is another reason why I think they should have kept Uther around. If Arthur and maybe some others learnt about Merlin's powers, they still could have to hide them from Uther while Arthur and Merlin trying to save the day together and slowly trying to bring Uther to his senses or whatever. Problem would be solved because Arthur would be prepared to be king someday when fighting side by side with Merlin and making connections with other kingdoms, and the reveal would happen but Merlin would still have a reason to hide his powers. Yeah well, that was a wasted chance.

jaqtkd

[71]Dec 18, 2011

Sorry, I just don't get the reveal impatience. This show was always tagged as a five-year 'keep the magic secret' programme. For me the end of series 4 was always the very, very earliest it could ever have happened and would be far more likely in year 5. Why were people calling for it in series 3? For me it's about the journey, not the destination.

I loved this episode, the only real shame was the title not actually being relevant this week. For me the most exciting eps are the ones that showcase the grand legend themes; Excalibur, The Round Table and The Crystal Cave really get me buzzing for more. Everything's coming together nicely.

legend-dreamer

[72]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 13

lilyflower1345 wrote:
    legend-dreamer wrote:
    I really loved the A/G reunion. When Arthur wakes up to find Gwen beside him, so little was said verbally between them and yet so much was said by their embrace. I am sure he had thought over the words Tristan said about Isolde: "Well, I may have lost my cargo, but I still have my beloved Isolde." and his own response to Tristan "Then you're richer than you know."
    That's a good point. First watching it I thought Gwen & Arthur's embrace was rather sudden considering what they'd both said in 4x11. And it still feels that way to me some. But Arthur could have thought over Tristan's words and realized he still needed Gwen despite everything that happened. That does seem like a logical explanation. It makes me feel better to feel like there was at least some explanation.

The scene at the Beltane feast where Arthur says "I look for her in the room, she's not there.Then I remember why." can be seen in two ways. The first is Arthur looking for Gwen and then remembering the "betrayl" that caused him to banish her.

The second ( and how it came across to me) is after finding the ring in last weeks episode, Arthur has had more time to think and he has come to some matters of the heart conclusions. He is willing to admit how much he misses having Gwen around, realizes how much he loves her, he doesn't know where she is, if she is safe and how he will ever see her again.So the talk with Tristan only reconfirmed what Arthur himself was already starting to acknowledge. And then he wakes to see Gwen.....

And as Hunith said to Merlin about Gwen "A broken heart takes time to mend." Gwen has been slowly healing herself. So she is willing to go to see Arthur and tend to his broken ribs. Seeing for herself it is just as Merlin told her last episode that Arthur wants to see her.

Sidenote: I just noticed on a rewatch that Arthur isn't wearing his rings when he is on the run with Merlin. I guess Merlin must have taken them for safekeeping and to help hide Arthur's identity.

Edited on 12/18/2011 8:11pm
    Edited 4 total times.

PenguinSuzie

[73]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 10

I'm not impatient for the reveal, though I'd love to have it happen and think that they can't end the series or continue on past S5 without it. I think a lot of people worry that if it goes on for much longer then the sheer number of lies Merlin has told to Arthur will have simply gone to far. It really will start to seem more like a betrayal, that he never trusted him with it. It's been much longer for the characters than it has for us after all. By this point he's known Arthur for 6 years, and if there is no reveal in S4 (I don't think there will be one this year), no reveal in S5, and another gap between S4-S5 & S5-S6, then he will have been lying to Arthur's face and manipulating things behind his back for 10 years. That seems like something Arthur isn't going to overlook. The fakeness and lies can only go on for so long before it starts to crack the friendship, or at least to the point where he could never find out. Otherwise there just wouldn't likely be any forgiveness. The more he hides from him and does behind his back, the more hurt Arthur is going to be. Well that's my two cents anyway.

Also people really want Merlin to get some recognition, instead of being overlooked and disrespected all the time. Him staying a servant while all his friends move up status wise can seem rather unfair at times I think.

Edited on 12/18/2011 8:21pm

boom-moo

[74]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 75
    Episode 4x12 RIP list:
    -Many random Camelot knights and Southron men.
    -Gwaine kills a Southron man.

Episode 4x12 Lives Saved list:
    -Arthur saves Isolde's life by killing the Southron man who was about to kill her.

Not sure if Morgana intended to kill Arthur rightaway, in that case his life would have been saved by many.

Wonder_

[75]Dec 19, 2011

I thought this episode was good, but a little underwhelming. I agree that the bits with Tristan and Isolde slowed the pace a little (a bit like when Merlin and Arthur were looking for Balinor in 2x13).

Arthur as a simpleton was pretty funny but I'm getting a little tired of the way he jumps from 'you're useless, Merlin' to "you're a loyal friend, Merlin' all the time.

Interesting how they handled Tristan and Isolde.

GO GWAINE.

Merlin and Hunith's two brief moments were so sweet!

The ending also seemed a bit rushed, i.e. that cut from Merlin and Hunith to Merlin, Tristan, Isolde, Gwen and Arthur in that shack thingy. Minor thing, but a transition would have been nice, I was going 'what just happened?' for a second there.

smilegreen

[76]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 3
    Oh lol I finally realised what I was trying to get at with the whole Morgana Agravaine relation thing. Uther's married to Ygraine. Making Agravaine his brother-in-law
    Uther is Morgana's father, so.. Agravaine is kinda Morgana's uncle-in-law?? I don't know what they mean when your cousin is removed, but is that what they mean? Technically they're not related by blood but by law?

Oh and is Morgana's mother related to any of them?

Also why does Gwen keep getting new dresses that all conveniently fit her? Sorry it just annoys me she gets so many costume changes compared to others like the knights, Arthur etc who wear the same things. Even though Gaius gets his wardrobe change, lol they all look the same to me.

Sparklingwater

[77]Dec 19, 2011

smilegreen wrote:
    Oh lol I finally realised what I was trying to get at with the whole Morgana Agravaine relation thing. Uther's married to Ygraine. Making Agravaine his brother-in-law Uther is Morgana's father, so.. Agravaine is kinda Morgana's uncle-in-law?? I don't know what they mean when your cousin is removed, but is that what they mean? Technically they're not related by blood but by law? Oh and is Morgana's mother related to any of them?

In one or even more "original" legends, Igraine and Vivian are sisters. Maybe they were sisters here, too which would make Agravaine Morgana's uncle ad well as Arthur's. The way he looks at her, especially here in the last epsisode he sems to care for her in a kind of fatherly way. I think they are related.

boom-moo

[78]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 75
    smilegreen wrote:
    Technically they're not related by blood but by law?
    By quite a stretch

smilegreen wrote:
    Oh and is Morgana's mother related to any of them?
    Nope that we know of.

smilegreen wrote:
    Also why does Gwen keep getting new dresses that all conveniently fit her? Sorry it just annoys me she gets so many costume changes compared to others like the knights, Arthur etc who wear the same things.
    She is the best seamstress in Camelot, she made Lancelot's knight outift overnight after all She can make her own stuff, she earns her own money and lives a simple life so she can have savings. Her new outfit might be something she already had.

ACDiNosey

[79]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 28
    boom-moo wrote:

smilegreen wrote:
    Also why does Gwen keep getting new dresses that all conveniently fit her? Sorry it just annoys me she gets so many costume changes compared to others like the knights, Arthur etc who wear the same things.
    She is the best seamstress in Camelot, she made Lancelot's knight outift overnight after all She can make her own stuff, she earns her own money and lives a simple life so she can have savings. Her new outfit might be something she already had.

I guess contrary to the knights and co, she doesn't wear a uniform, so she can enjoy a bit more variety
    I don't think Morgana would know where to start to make a dress

fantasymommy

[80]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 9

I enjoyed this episode and was glad to see the A/G reunion at the end. Unlike others who have posted on this thread, I didn't find their brief exchange to be that awkward. I thought the body language (awesome hug!) and eye contact was much more telling then the words exchanged:-)

Enchanted Arthur had some real cute moments! I liked to think that Merlin's magic just disabled some of Arthur's more arrogant characteristics and enabled his more humble ones..loved the comment about 'learning to think before I speak'!

One question though...Where did Arthur get the outfit/chain mail he was wearing when they left Ealdor? He has half naked embracing Gwen and seconds later he was wearing pants, shoes and chain mail...not likely that the humble people of that village had that just hanging aroundWink

I would have exchanged a few moments watching Gwaine fight ( keeping in mind that I adore Gwaine!) for a few more moments between Merlin and his Mom.

Really looking forward to next week but not to the end of the seasonCry