Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 4x12 'The Sword In The Stone Part 1' discussion thread

boom-moo

[81]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 75
    fantasymommy wrote:

One question though...Where did Arthur get the outfit/chain mail he was wearing when they left Ealdor? He has half naked embracing Gwen and seconds later he was wearing pants, shoes and chain mail...not likely that the humble people of that village had that just hanging aroundWink

Maybe it was Will's fathers' Merlin did get to wear a chainmail in 1x10 too, so I guess that Ealdor has those aplenty And Gwen also had time to put a vest on.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wilfeli

[82]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    Merlin did get to wear a chainmail in 1x10 too, so I guess that Ealdor has those aplenty And Gwen also had time to put a vest on.

It was funny, especially given that in 1x10 Gwen specifically packed chainmail for Merlin... I guess we have to suspend our disbelief But still, there is Will's armor.

But at least during Gwen/Arthur meeting you can see chainmail in the corner.

fantasymommy

[83]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 9

wilfeli wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    Merlin did get to wear a chainmail in 1x10 too, so I guess that Ealdor has those aplenty And Gwen also had time to put a vest on.

It was funny, especially given that in 1x10 Gwen specifically packed chainmail for Merlin... I guess we have to suspend our disbelief But still, there is Will's armor.

But at least during Gwen/Arthur meeting you can see chainmail in the corner.

Good eye wilfeli!!! I did not notice the crumpled pile of chainmail next to the bed.

legend-dreamer

[84]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 13

Another stretch, but maybe Ealdor supplies the "knight recruits" for whoever is currently in power (Cenred before and now Lot). So maybe some other men in Ealdor could have armour from their time in the army?But was interesting to see the chainmail beside Arthur's bed.

(Was Uther was the only king who had the noble birth condition for his knights?)

Edited on 12/19/2011 3:45pm

boom-moo

[85]Dec 19, 2011
    legend-dreamer wrote:

(Was Uther was the only king who had the noble birth condition for his knights?)

He was the only one that we know of that applied that Code for sure. As for the rest, we can't possibly tell. The knights seem to be an elite within those serving the king so I assume that not all who can be seen fighing for Camelot in the big war scenes are knights.

smilegreen

[86]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 3

Haha these finer details that the writers never expected us to niggle away at! Lol I guess I wish I could tailor my clothes as well as Gwen.

From memory, weren't all the men in Ealdor terrible fighers lol. Maybe that's why they got sent back home. Silly of Lot not to make sure they didn't take the armour when they left.

Oh I also forgot to mention how I liked seeing the pov of someone outside of the court. It does worry me that Arthur and his knights might actually be a laughing stock to some!

legend-dreamer

[87]Dec 19, 2011

I don't know if it is meant to be this way or if it is an editing mistake, but in Gwaine's fight sequence with the Southron warrior you see Gwaine get knocked into a group of Southron's then pushed back out and almost immediately after you see him falling into the group of Southron's again and being pushed out again.

My mind is boggled and confused.

boom-moo

[89]Dec 19, 2011
    legend-dreamer wrote:

I don't know if it is meant to be this way or if it is an editing mistake, but in Gwaine's fight sequence with the Southron warrior you see Gwaine get knocked into a group of Southron's then pushed back out and almost immediately after you see him falling into the group of Southron's again and being pushed out again.

My mind is boggled and confused.

Can you give a time stamp? I'm checking the episode at about 36:00 when he is pushed in slow-mo against the Southron and the Southron push him back into the fight but I can't see anything out of place.

LizzyGlue

[90]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 20

I've re-watched the scene also and have not noticed a loop effect. It may just be an anomaly with the file / download.

legend-dreamer

[91]Dec 19, 2011

BM the time stamps I have are:

35:55 Gwaine is pushed into the group of southrons

35:59 He is pushed out

36:01 Gwaine is seen pushed into the same group again

36:04 He is pushed out and continues to fight the southron

Hope this helps, at least for my sanity as well.

boom-moo

[92]Dec 19, 2011
    Thank you

I just rechecked and all I have is:

-35:57 Gwaine is pushed into the group of southrons, slow-mo.
    -36:01 He is pushed out, he is hit and falls to the ground.

Then the fight goes on.

legend-dreamer

[93]Dec 19, 2011

LizzyGlue wrote:

I've re-watched the scene also and have not noticed a loop effect. It may just be an anomaly with the file / download.

Thanks BM and Carmen. That's what I thought it was, just needed to know if anyone else was seeing the same thing.

boom-moo

[94]Dec 19, 2011
    You are wecome

Dungeon time:
    -A lot of random Camelot knights.
    -Gaius.
    -Gwaine.
    -Elyan.

ACDiNosey

[95]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 28
    BM, to add to the lists: Sir Leon's Sire: none

boom-moo

[96]Dec 21, 2011
    Thank you

Times Sir Leon says "Sire":
    -None.

And homework for pcdsa:

Arthur and Gwen moments:
    -Arthur can't help but thinking about Gwen and looking for her around in the middle of a feast.
    -Arthur tells Tristan that having Isolde by his side makes him a rich man.
    -Hunith says that Gwen's broken heart is gonna take time to mend.
    -Gwen nurses Arthur in Ealdor. He wakes up finding her by his bedside, both confess to have missed each other and they join in a tight hug.

zeencat

[97]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 10
    Did anyone else notice Arthurs Wellie Boots?

boom-moo

[98]Dec 21, 2011
    We did, quite a change from sandals right?

More homework, Trish

Arthur's attributes to being the great king of legend:
    -Upon realization of Agravaine's betrayal he follows Merlin's advice and refrains from charging against his uncle for the greater good.
    -Arthur would rather die than abandoning his people. When the citadel is taken, an enchantment is needed so he can be taken away to safety.
    (While removed of his free will)
    -He reckons that sometimes he should think twice before he speaks.
    -He is sorry to hear that he lacks manners and that can be rude and insensitive.
    -He is sorry to have been a disappointment to Merlin and will try harder in future.
    (Back to his normal self)
    -Humiliating as it is, he stays in character as a simpleton for the good of the kingdom.
    -He covers Tristan and Isolde's retreat when the Southron army attacks them.
    -He saves Isolde's life and cares about her wellbeing afterwards.
    -The taxes he collects are used to protect his people.
    -He shares his water with Tristan despite he's been openly unfriendly to him.
    -He feels like a fool about Agravaine's betrayal and wonders what he has done wrong and if he is the King that his people deserve.
    -According to Merlin, he is honest, brave and true-hearted and will one day make the greatest King their land has ever known. Arthur counts on the support of many.
    -He is sorry for all the distress that he's brought to Tristan and Isolde.
    -He believes that having the woman you love by your side is worth more than all the riches.

pcdsa

[99]Dec 22, 2011
    • level: 12
    This is homework I don't mind . Added first two lines to Arthur's one.

Arthur and Gwen moments:
    -Arthur can't help but think about Gwen and look for her in the room. Then he remembers why she isn't there.
    -Arthur tells Tristan that having Isolde by his side makes him a rich man.
    -Hunith says that Gwen's broken heart will take time to mend.
    -Gwen nurses Arthur in Ealdor. He wakes up to find her by his bedside. Both confess to having missed each other and they join in a tight hug.[/QUOTE]

Arthur's attributes to being the great king of legend:
    -Upon hearing of the attack on Camelot, Arthur tells Merlin to take everyone to the inner chamber for their safety. -He leads the defence of the castle from the inside.
    -Upon discovering Agravaine's betrayal he follows Merlin's advice and refrains from charging against his uncle for the greater good.
    -Arthur would rather die than abandon his people. When the citadel is taken, Merlin is forced to enchant him so that he can be taken away to safety.
    (While removed of his free will)
    -He believes he should think twice before he speaks.
    -He is sorry to hear that he lacks manners and that he can be rude and insensitive.
    -He is sorry to have been a disappointment to Merlin and will try harder in future.
    (Back to his normal self)
    -Humiliating as it is, he stays in character as a simpleton for the good of the kingdom.
    -He covers Tristan and Isolde's retreat when the Southron army attacks them.
    -After Tristan complains about the taxes, Arthur insists they are needed to protect the people.
    -He saves Isolde's life and cares about her wellbeing afterwards.
    -He offers to share his water with Tristan despite his openly hostility towards him.
    -He feels like a fool about Agravaine's betrayal and wonders what he has done wrong and if he is the King his people deserve.
    -According to Merlin, he is honest, brave and true-hearted and will one day make the greatest King the land has ever known. Arthur has the support of many.
    -He is sorry for all the distress he has brought to Tristan and Isolde.
    -He believes that having the woman you love by your side is worth more than all the riches.

boom-moo

[100]Dec 22, 2011
    pcdsa wrote:
    This is homework I don't mind
    Thank you very much! Great team work as always

Arthur is knocked unconscious or prevented from knowing about Merlin's magic:
    -Arthur is screaming in pain when Merlin uses a spell to gain control of Arthur's will.

'I have faith Arthur will be a great king' statements:
    -Merlin says that Arthur will one day be "the greatest King this land has ever known."