Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x01 'Arthur's Bane Part 1' discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 5x01 "Arthur's Bane Part 1" here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Trolls won't be fed, ignore and report it is.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you

(As per usual, I'll open a discussion thread for every new episode every Friday and keep it locked until Saturday. Past experience shows that comments posted before the episode airs tend to spoil the episode for spoiler free people and also, episode discussion threads that are opened days before their airing date tend to end up buried and reopened by different users which leads to confusion and clutter. Any comments regarding this episode should be done in the Spoilers thread until the episode has aired. Thank you.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zeencat

[2]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 10
    Anyone else around?

What a season opener?!? I really enjoyed that, I see what they mean about it being multi-threaded storylines. I'm glad to see that the friendly banter is still there.
    I'm liking the new Gwen and what a surprise that they caught her servant as a traitor so early in.

legend-dreamer

[3]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 13
    Mordred's entrance at the end was brilliant and Alex Vlahos has definitely claimed the part of Mordred as his own. It is going to be interesting to see what Mordred is up to.

It was great seeing Gwen as a strong, confident and powerful Queen.

xfairylightx

[4]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 2
    It was a good episode Merlin has grown up He seems to be very tired of Arthur who is thinking he can't do anything... I love the fact that he told Arthur that it was him who saved him and that it's not the first time! The banter is still there, yes. The only thing that light a little bit the show as the episode was really dark. I like the new Gwen... I think Angel Coulby did a great job looking all queenly and fierce... at the same time the others seems to be surprised that she condemned her maid to death. She really did treason, after all. Like the maid, never tought she has a link with Ruadan. Sefa seems to be a good character, not the one who will betrayed so I was really surprised when she goes to Ruadan and tell him everything... I have a feeling she don't really want to do that ? Am I the only one?

I think Katie did a great job with Morgana but apart from setting her storyline, this episode has nothing special for her. Mordred! Finally ! Really excited to know more about what's happening with him... I love Merlin face when he figured out it was him

Gwaine and Percival looking sexy There's nothing else to say about them... What about the alien looking creature who seem to healed Gwaine??... it's freaking me out, seriously... 0o...

Ruadan is a good character. Good to learn more about the druids.

zeencat

[5]Oct 6, 2012

I agree, I thought they introduced Mordred well as well. I'm looking forward to see how his character develops. I know Morgana is the main vilian in the series. I enjoyed Merlin's performance.

I agree with you that it didn't seem as though Sefa wanted to betray the Queen but you have to remember she was helping her father. I almost wish Mordred hadn't appeared then. I would of liked to of seen how Merlin was going to get himself and Arthur out of the situation at the end.(with magic) I'm hoping that they are building up to something bigger.

Edited on 10/06/2012 1:16pm

ACDiNosey

[6]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 28
    I like the new Gwen too, but I liked Sefa, she reminded me of Drea, and she seemed keen on Merlin

I was a bit annoyed with Merlin in the episode. He seems to be all scared of the things he saw in the water (for some reason, Merlin always seems much more scared of stuff when he sees it than when he's told about it (see 3x05, for example!)). Perpetually trying to get Arthur back to Camelot got on my nerves after a while... But I love that he and Arthur are still very close and that Arthur is astute enough to see when things are wrong with Merlin and trying to know why that is (that's a new one!!!)

Barechested galore if ever there was one... Not quite sure why Arthur kept saying that he had sent Gwaine and his men on a mission but never mentioned Percival by name.

And hell, isn't that blue glowing thing creepy?!

zeencat

[7]Oct 6, 2012
    I'm wondering if that blue glowing creature is the thing they are searching for?

ACDiNosey

[8]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 28
    Oooohhh, might well be (lol, I'm so brainless tonight it hadn't occured to me )

zeencat

[9]Oct 6, 2012
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    Oooohhh, might well be (lol, I'm so brainless tonight it hadn't occured to me )

It just wouldn't surprise me with this show. Maybe it takes Arthur's side because of its friendship with Gawaine. I have no idea what it is supposed to be. I thought it looked like an Alien that had been shown the rack.

xfairylightx

[10]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 2
    Is it just me or Merlin flirt with Sefa? Poor Merlin!

Merlin annoyed me too with his fears and wanting to convinced Arthur to go back to Camelot... I mean, I know he want to protect Arthur but sometimes I really think he cared more about his destiny than about anything else.... He's friend with the knight, with Gwaine, surely he want to save him? More seasons I see, less I love Merlin... more I love the other characters!
    Merlin's so powerful. It's annoying... Morgana is overconfident and Merlin is the complete opposite! XD

Haha! They should rename the show Mordred, I'm sure he will do better ! (I'm joking, by the way...)

It will be funny if the key really is the blue alien-looking-thing and that Gwaine have found it first XD

Connor91

[11]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 6

I loved the ep They did a great job in balancing the four characters, Gwen FINALLY had something to do which didn't involve a 'you should be nice to your people, arthur' speech. It set up the series really well I thought and it looks like, for the first time ever, the 2nd part of the two parter will actually be better than the first

I agree though, I wasn't that keen on Merlin being so content with leaving the knights behind, even making jokes about it when he told Arthur. Seems a bit OOC given that he was so distraught over Lancelot sacrificing himself in 4x01.

Edited on 10/06/2012 2:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

yafu2

[12]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 4

I thought it was a good episode but something about Merlin was off. He came off as quiet, meek, and having no confidence. He's never appeared that way to this extreme in any of the seasons. I can't accurately describe what feels off because I can't quite put my finger on it. The way he was talking to Arthur and trying to get him to turn back despite what was going on just wasn't in character for him. The exchanges between the two were odd as well. "I understand." I don't know, it just didn't come off as naturally between the two of them as it has in previous seasons. Even Merlin with the Dragon seemed off. I can't describe it.

Edited on 10/06/2012 3:36pm
    Edited 2 total times.

PendragonLady

[13]Oct 6, 2012

And so it begins ....

Merlin's vision in the water of Arthur battling Mordred gave me cold chills just as Morgana's vision in "The Darkest Hour" did. The introduction at the end was priceless, but the look on Mordred's face after greeting Arthur left me uneasy. Looking forward to next week.

13Sahara31

[14]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 1
    I really like the episode and there are some things that i'm like WOW did not see that coming, like stone cold gwen. When did she get so mean, shes supposed to be fair. Also i don't remember her being that smart. How old do we think Mordred is cause I think he's too old for the number of seasons we had. I thought he was about 9/10 in season 1 and now he looks 16/18 4 season later. the maths just don't add up. I get his anger though, but I don't get how he grew up so quickly. So this key, I'm guessing is the weird shrunkun head and body, glowing 'human'. I kinda new that it would be a living creature and that the men wouldn't find it. And to think Morgana wouldn't be able to find it cause she is so narrow minded. Another thing that i don't like about Morgana is like "i've been patient". No you had 2-3 years of knowing about your magic, you've had 2 years hiding/ on the run and now your complaining about things not getting done. Some people have been hiding their entire lives e.g. Merlin, others have been hunted for 20. 30 odd years cause they can do a little bit of magic. Really i just start to see morgana as a moaning cow, who doesn't appreciate those who have really struggled!

PendragonLady

[15]Oct 6, 2012

13Sahara31, there's a link to an interview with Alexander Vlahos, who portrays Mordred, in the third post on page 49 in the "Series 5 Spoilers Thread." Here, Vlahos explains why Mordred is so much older now than he was at the end of Series 2.

PenguinSuzie

[16]Oct 6, 2012

Mind blowing! Loved it. It was beautifully shot. That was a lovely scene with Gwen comforting her servant. Yay I guessed that it was her father as she approached him while he knelt. *Pathetically proud of myself * Merlin said ass on this show, he couldn't have done that before It seemed so wrong for Gwen to sentence her to death especially seeing how the girl seemed upset to hear she'd caused death. Lots of great Merlin & Arthur moments! Poor Leon! A shiver moment that, when Mordred walked out. I wonder if Arthur will pick up on the fact that it was Merlin that recognized him and called him by name, when Arthur doesn't know that Merlin knows him.

31sahara13 wrote:
    How old do we think Mordred is cause I think he's too old for the number of seasons we had. I thought he was about 9/10 in season 1 and now he looks 16/18 4 season later. the maths just don't add up.
    There have been several years between seasons though. It's been 8 years since S2. One year between each season, except for between 4&5 where there was 3 years. Mordred was suppose to be like 12 in S1 or S2, I can't remember which though. He's about 20 in S5.

S1=1 year. -1 year.- S2=1 year. -1 year.- S3=1 year. -1 year- S4=1 year. -3 years- S5=Now.

I don't think that this is a spoiler now Arthur mentioned it in the episode. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

xfairylightx wrote:
    Gwaine and Percival looking sexy.
    So true .

I liked that the barbarian guy that threatened Arthur was Scottish . Excalibur is pretty well know around then since he knew it was the king the moment he looked at it. This episode went by so fast, I was almost kind of surprised when it ended. Great introduction for Mordred back into the story. I agree that he's owning this role.

Edited on 10/06/2012 3:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[17]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 75
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    I wonder if Arthur will pick up on the fact that it was Merlin that recognized him and called him by name, when Arthur doesn't know that Merlin knows him.
    He does. Merlin was the one who tore apart the grate to let Arthur and Mordred escape from the armoury
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

I don't think that this is a spoiler now Arthur mentioned it in the episode. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once an episode has aired it becomes fair game to be talked about.
    Edited on 10/06/2012 3:51pm

PenguinSuzie

[19]Oct 6, 2012

Yes but Arthur didn't find out his name until after he'd taken him into the forest, and for all he knew Merlin hadn't interacted with him before helping Arthur rescue him.

xfairylightx wrote:
    He's friend with the knight, with Gwaine, surely he want to save him?
    I think it was in character for Merlin, he was really terrified by what he'd seen and I got the impression that he'd make Arthur go back then sneak out to help the knights himself or find some other way/plan, just anything to get Arthur away from what he feared would happen. I don't think that Merlin would ever just leave the knights there. He thinks they're probably dead but he would have done something, as long as that something didn't include endangering Arthur.

Edited on 10/06/2012 4:10pm

yafu2

[20]Oct 6, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    He does. Merlin was the one who tore apart the grate to let Arthur and Mordred escape from the armoury
    But he doesn't know Merlin knows his name or knows anything about him outside of that encounter. Mordred didn't tell Arthur his name until after he'd already taken him back to the Druids. Arthur has no knowledge of any other meetings between the two. As far as Arthur knows it was all Morgana and Merlin only met him for that few minutes when he pulled the grate off.

Edited on 10/06/2012 4:24pm