Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x01 'Arthur's Bane Part 1' discussion thread

dpebbleson

[41]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 23
    Okay, I've finally watched this episode, and that right after a long trip, so I'm probably missing out the little details. But here are the general impressions.

- This episode is not the most interesting opener of all, nor the best - "The Darkest Hour" is for me the best combination of mystery and darkness. But this is still a very good episode.

- Merlin and Morgana were for the most part uninteresting and locked into their usual roles - hate and protection modes. Still Merlin got to see a cool vision of the future with Mordred in it, which was definitely one of the highlights of the episode.

- I didn't particularly like Guinevere, who sentenced the girl without really going into the details - who exactly is her father, what has actually happened to him, what was her role in all of that, and all that, did she really intend the knights to be killed, did she really know how the information would be used, how much was she informed with the plans... And all that having in mind how her father was quickly executed. But that could also be the intention of the scene, to contrast the loving and caring Gwen with strict and harsh queen Guinevere. Still, for my taste, she was too Uther-like. I would have expected different methods - not to take her life (as Guinevere made her point clearly that taking Uther's life was wrong, no matter how much woe he brought...)

- I liked new Mordred, which was as creepy as the old one, and that in just a few minutes of screen time.

- I don't think much of the conversations between Arthur and Merlin, as they mostly repeat what has already been said since S2.

- Ruadan seems like an interesting character, a warrior-priest, and I wonder what his plans are

- Imagery was brilliant, and finally there was snow! The scenes with Arthur and Merlin were shot with different colours than others; anyway, the episode was definitely pleasing for the eye.

- It was also pleasing for the ears, as the music was wonderful as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ivyteainn

[42]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 1

Overall,the first episodewas very good. The production was superior to anything that Merlin has put out before. The background scenery was great and appeared very realistic. When I think of Series 1, this has come a long way.

There's a lot of criticism of Gwen for her decision to condemn her servant to death. But, in reality, the girl was a spy and could have cost Arthur's his life. Gwen doesn't know whether Arthur is alive or dead. On top of that, the servant confessed to the crime. The death penalty was appropriate. I was impressed with Gwen's decisiveness and strength of personality. I think she may a tougher in some ways than Arthur.

The banter between Arthur and Merlin was good. I think that Merlin should have advancedin the ranksmore with at least the title of Royal Adviser. Merlin is far more important to Arthur then emptying chamberpots. It was good to see Merlin give as good as he takes from Arthur. People will argue that Merlin can't expect much more, but Gwen became Queen and Gwayne a knight!

Merlin has done little to advance the cause of magic. It's disappointing. He is failing the prophecy in this respect.

Ruadan was fantastic. Morgana needs him as a rudder. It's too bad that he can't hang around as a permanent foil.

Morgana has virtually lost all her goodness.... and maybe her sanity.But, this is Uther's fault as much as her's. Merlin might be selfless, but most people tend to retaliate when someone is trying to kill them. Sorcerers have every right to fear the Pendragons. Morgana is doing what she sees as self preservation. Unfortunately, her own Pendragon personality has led to the same excesses as "mad" King Uther. Over the years, it's forgotten that the sorcerers have been an injured party as much as bad guys.

***SPOILER***

Merlin has become more assertive. I still see Merlinabsorbed so much into Arthur that he forgets about himself. Merlin showed that he could make decisions lat night. Somewere good, somewrong, but he made them. For example, I think that he could have used his magic when the Camelot kights and footmen were trapped by the Saxons. There was a mad melee going on, he would have possibly cast spells without any one seeing. How many men could that have saved is unknown. Merlin's need to stay in the closet has cost a lot of lives over the past two series.

Note: Post edited by the editor to conceal spoilers.

Edited on 10/07/2012 4:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Ivyteainn

[43]Oct 7, 2012
    Some more thoughts...

Arthur appeared to be a much better in command of his kingdom. He is much more thoughtful and patient then ever before. So the maturity is good. But, like Merlin, he still makes bad decisions. Having lost all his men, why would be continue on to Morgana's fortress. It would seem to me that the better decision would have been to go back to Camelot and get more soldiers.

Arthur's comment about not trusting sorcerers shows that his attitude hasn't changed much.

Morgana in her maddness has betrayed Albion by making an alliance with the Saxons.

Of course, we all realize that the bane stalking Arthur is Modred. I'm unsure whether Modred realizes his destiny yet regarding Arthur's death. Arthur seemed surprised by Morded assaulting him in the vision. Apparently, Arthurwas fooled again as he was with Agravaine. I suspect that the Battle of Camlann will be at the end of the season. Arthur will be killed and Merlin will take him to the Isle of the Blessed to drink from the cup of life. Yes, it will be different from the legend, but the legend is nothing more than a fairytale too. The real 6th century Arthur, if he existed, was nothing like the high medieval Arthur that Geoffrey of Monmouth's envisioned. Johnny Capps will decide how the Battle of Camlann will go since this is his version of a legend.

boom-moo

[44]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 75
    Ivyteainn, please use the "edit" function in the drop down menu at the bottom of every post instead of double posting (posting twice is a row) as it goes against the rules.

Also, please do not post spoilers out of the spoilers thread without properly concealing them under spoiler tags.

Thank you

Scop

[45]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 4

We've all been assuming Mordred is Arthur's Bane, but what if it's the blue glowy creature?

xfairylightx

[46]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 2

Scop wrote:

We've all been assuming Mordred is Arthur's Bane, but what if it's the blue glowy creature?

I'm not sure, but I think the key and Arthur's bane are 2 different things...

The Key : The blue-alien thing

Arthur's bane : Mordred

But it you can be right For all we know, the blue-alien thing can be Arthur's bane... if used by Morgana! XD

I still think it's Mordred

Edit : After watching the episode again, Ruadan speaks of Arthur's bane but can't tell Morgana what it is... and the key is supposed to bring them that knowledge... So Arthur's bane will be revealed by the key who is probably the blue-alien thing XD

Ruadan: The prophecies do not lie. Arthur's bane is real. Once it is known to us,
    his end is nigh.
    Morgana: So you keep saying, yet you cannot tell me what it is.
    Ruadan: The Diamair will tell us. The Diamair is the key to all knowledge.

Edited on 10/07/2012 8:19pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Ivyteainn

[47]Oct 7, 2012

Boom-moo

Both of my statements were different. I just added more of my view. I didn't repost the same message twice in this forum

You complained about me posting something in the Spoilers forum, so I went to the appropriate forum and you're still complaining. I didn't post any spoilers...I gave opinions about how see things....How can I make spoilers when I have no idea what's going to happen? Spoilers implies to me that I have inside information about what's going to happen. Johnny Capps hasn't called me to tell me anything.

I'm glad that you've welcomed me to your forum so cordially. I don't appreciate being chastised in a public forum.

Edited on 10/07/2012 8:43pm

BrightlyLit

[48]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 5

Basically, I liked the episode, even though I can't say I was on the edge of my seat and spellbound. I liked the openings for Seasons 3 and 4 better. But it was an enjoyable 43 minutes.

That final scene with Mordred was the perfect ending to the episode and to set us up for the next. I absolutely love the character played by Alex. I know he's going to be complex and you are right that Alex is doing Asa bang on.

I always enjoy the the Arthur and Merlin scenes similar to the final episode last Season, but I'm really getting weary of waiting for things to change and Arthur have a different perspective on his friend. It's obvious the friendship is deep and solid, but Arthur needs to know more about Merlin and even at least become "suspicious" that there is something extraordinary about him.

Of course I'm loving Queen Guinevere. She's all I was hoping for and what many of us have wished for for some time now is coming to fruition, that is a story line apart from the romance itself. I love how Angel has made the transition from the giggly girl of Season 1 to this queen with the makings of the caliber of Queen Annis. She hasn't forgotten to be kind when kindness is called for, and knows how to be tough when that is what is needed. About the sentencing, I am wondering if she goes through with this. Has anyone thought of the possibility that this is a strategy move by her and she's got a game plan aside from an actual execution? She know this is a father and daughter situation so is it possible she's going to use Sefa in some way as a pawn to get Arthur back? Just a thought, but I'll be looking for indications of this in this week's reviews and teasers. Otherwise, for some reason will be surprised if she goes through with this, but who knows?

Morgana is consumed by bitterness and is a six cylinder engine running on five so I expect anything.

yafu2

[49]Oct 7, 2012

Ivyteainn wrote:

Boom-moo

Both of my statements were different. I just added more of my view. I didn't repost the same message twice in this forum

You complained about me posting something in the Spoilers forum, so I went to the appropriate forum and you're still complaining. I didn't post any spoilers...I gave opinions about how see things....How can I make spoilers when I have no idea what's going to happen? Spoilers implies to me that I have inside information about what's going to happen. Johnny Capps hasn't called me to tell me anything.

I'm glad that you've welcomed me to your forum so cordially. I don't appreciate being chastised in a public forum.

I think the spoiler she was referring to was the mention of something that is going to happen later in the season (Episode 3 I believe) and that's not known to those who wish to remain spoiler free despite it being well known and referenced often in the spoiler thread.

As for the other rather than make another post I think they want us to edit the post we already made and add our thoughts to it than making another post in a row. It's a bit confusing since editing of posts on just about every forum board is looked down upon so I get where you are coming from with it... just it's opposite here. Welcome to the board

ACDiNosey

[51]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 28
    I don't think the fact that the bane is Mordred is a foregone conclusion... I actually think (probably mistakenly) that it might be Merlin himself, given that he "follows Arthur like a shadow" and that his unwillingness to reveal his magic is clearly stunting his destiny, and ultimately might prevent Arthur from becoming the Once and Future King...

And I'm actually trusting TPTB with Gwen on this one. They have shown her to be a nice understanding Queen in the episode, and I agree that, based on the facts and the law, she didn't have much choice in the matter, so I'm happy to cut her some slack. Plus, everybody in the scene seems surprised that she has made such a decision, so I'm thinking that it's definitely unusual for her to make such a decision. Who knows, she may have an ulterior motive... That would explain the lack of thorough questioning (although it could also be explained by the fact the scene had to remain shortish )

boom-moo

[52]Oct 8, 2012
    Thank you once again yafu2 for your help, much appreciated

Ivyteainn wrote:

Boom-moo

I know but the site doesn’t allow for a user to post twice in a row regardless of the content. It is done for several reasons (to avoid gaming, trolling, etc) and users are encouraged to use the edit function all the time (annoying as it can be in many occasions).

Ivyteainn wrote:
    I haven’t complained, I have simply pointed out to you what the rules are (not my rules, the site rules). And you can go back to your post and check out the information that I have concealed. As yafu2 explained, it’s information regarding episode 3. Such info isn’t your opinion but a proper spoiler that spoiler-free people shouldn’t know about.

Discussion concerning 5x01 should be posted here leaving spoilers out (that shall be posted at the spoilers thread).

Ivyteainn wrote:

I’m sorry that you felt that I was chastisizing you. Most editors would have simply removed your post without an explanation and the site moderators might have added a warning to that but I take my time to explain users how to do things properly. My bad if I don’t sound cordial enough but yes, you are very welcome

BrightlyLit wrote:

Has anyone thought of the possibility that this is a strategy move by her and she's got a game plan aside from an actual execution?

I have. I totally got the vibe that she was up to something and doesn’t really plan to execute the girl.

ACDiNosey wrote:
    Plus, everybody in the scene seems surprised that she has made such a decision, so I'm thinking that it's definitely unusual for her to make such a decision.
    Yes, that’s it! I couldn’t tell what was which gave me the vibe that Gwen had someothing in mind but now that I think of it, that's a good hint. I think it is clear that it is not the first time in these three years that Gwen assumes the leading role and those in the council room seemed genuinely surprised with her decision as if it is something she had never done before (or at least never before in such circumstances).

PenguinSuzie

[53]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 10
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    I don't think the fact that the bane is Mordred is a foregone conclusion... I actually think (probably mistakenly) that it might be Merlin himself, given that he "follows Arthur like a shadow" and that his unwillingness to reveal his magic is clearly stunting his destiny, and ultimately might prevent Arthur from becoming the Once and Future King...
    What a great idea! That would be surprising.

Violamagic

[54]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 2

ACDiNosey wrote:

I'm glad to hear someone else write what I've been thinking! I think you are spot on! Well said.

Only if Arthur knows that Merlin has been protecting him with magic all these years and learns of the good side of magic will he be able to become tolerant of all his subjects, including those with magic and unite all his people.

PendragonLady

[55]Oct 8, 2012

So the banners with the twin snakes from "The Darkest Hour" are Saxon banners? Huh ... interesting.

boom-moo

[56]Oct 8, 2012
    Merlin and Great Dragon meetings:
    1 (30 so far) Where the dragon tells Merlin about the vates' power of prophecy, that his meeting with Lochru didn’t happen by chance and to use the knowledge he’s shared with him to keep Arthur safe.

Great Dragon's riddles:
    -A wise man is not cowed by knowledge, Merlin. Instead, he uses it to guide him.

LizzyGlue

[57]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 20

I've just watched the episode and I did enjoy it overall.

I really liked seeing Gwen act like a shrewd, competent and natural leader. The battle scene started unrealistic for me, then it became more believable after.

Yay for the round table scene and for Leon being featured! But honestly, two shirtless chests stole the show!

Too bad the treason was presented in such a predictable way

Edited on 10/08/2012 3:46pm

Scop

[58]Oct 8, 2012

Violamagic wrote:

ACDiNosey wrote:

I'm glad to hear someone else write what I've been thinking! I think you are spot on! Well said.

Only if Arthur knows that Merlin has been protecting him with magic all these years and learns of the good side of magic will he be able to become tolerant of all his subjects, including those with magic and unite all his people.

Good thought! I suppose it's all in HOW he finds out about Merlin. One way prosperity, the other way bane?

Actually, it could be Gwen, too, going by the original legends.

ACDiNosey

[59]Oct 9, 2012
    • level: 28
    Number of times Sir Leon said Sire: 1 (if I counted properly...)

boom-moo

[60]Oct 9, 2012
    I counted the same, thank you

Episode 5x01 RIP list:
    -Lochru, many villagers from his town.
    -Several Saxons and Camelot men.

Episode 5x01 Lives Saved list:
    -Merlin saves Arthur’s life by taking him away from the battlefield and putting him to safety.

It's always hard to tell about the lives saved. Should Mordred stopping Ragnor compute as saving Arthur's life too?
    Edited on 10/09/2012 7:43am