Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x02 'Arthur's Bane Part 2' discussion thread.

PendragonLady

[21]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 4

Just finished watching it and was blown away.

Mordred and Morgana's reunion was well handled. Once again Alexander Vlahos turned in a stellar performance.

During the dinner scene I found myself thinking about "The Beginning of the End." In that episode all four of them - Arthur, Merlin, Morgana, and Gwen - were instrumental in saving Mordred's life. Now Morgana wants the other three dead. When she was ranting about Arthur, I could see that Mordred was struggling with his feelings, conflicted between the man who helped him escape Camelot and the woman that he had such a close bond with. His telling Morgana to calm down showed that he was realizing just how much she had changed. I didn't have any idea what he would do after that- but I was definitely not expecting him to stab Morgana. It'll be interesting to see how their relationship plays out during the rest of the season.

Slightly disappointed about Athiusa - under Morgana's control? Sheesh. What about Kilgarrah's words when she was hatched? Do they mean nothing now?

I was also annoyed about the change to Kilgarrah's words about Arthur's death - a Druid instead of Mordred? Come on!

I still enjoy this show very much and will watch it till it ends (and buy the DVDs too), but I think the creators need to get a better handle on continuity and stop tripping over what's already been established in prior seasons.

Edited on 10/13/2012 4:28pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 75
    I like that the fact that Merlin still can control Aithusa (at least in a fashion) through his Dragonlord powers, it's a good balance to the dragon's willfull alliance with Morgana. Also the fact that Mordred left Merlin behind is very telling, he didn't seem to have any intention to go back for him or alert the others. Merlin is right in being more than weary. It looks like it's gonna be a nice tension, both being so close to Arthur and both having his trust.

XyFan

[23]Oct 13, 2012

Nice episode. So the white dragon was the same Merlin rescued after all. I wonder how it got into Morgana's possession. So sad the white dragon can not talk.

What i found a bit funny:

Alien-creature: ''Merlin i am the knowledge of everything. What would you like to ask from me?''

Merlin: ''Nothing.''

Alien-creaturte: ''You are wise, Merlin.''

Also that new Druid boy as a knight is indeed fishy.. or did they make it fishy on purpose? i can't tell.. If arthur's bane is himself then, maybe his actions will trigger it to the point that Druid boy will kill him..?

I just hope Morgana and Druid boy didn't plan this ''petraying'' ahead..

Clobo31

[24]Oct 14, 2012
    • level: 3
    Just watched the episode and i did quite enjoy it but im looking forward to next weeks more! I liked the way that Morgana recognised Mordred straight away and thought that it was a good way to reunite the characters after so many years of them being apart. The part that gripped me the most though was deffinately when Morgana went a bit psycho leaning on the table talking about killing Arthur, it really showed that she is very far gone now and there is quite possibly no way back for her or any chance of redemption. Also brillantly acted by Katie, she definitely had me convinced! The only thing which really annoyed me about the episode is the alien thing, i feel its way to sci-fi for a show which is supposed to be retelling an arthurian legend. Overall though i did enjoy the episode!

Scop

[25]Oct 14, 2012

Part of the reason Mordred stabbed Morgana (not fatally, mind you) may have been because he knew Merlin wouldn't allow Morgana to kill Arthur. So he could have been protecting Morgana and/or Merlin's secret at that point. Says a lot that he didn't go back for Merlin, though, so I don't think he still cares that much for him. Either that or he knew Merlin could take care of himself, but Mordred's emotions are so close to the vest we really can't tell what's behind those hard staring eyes (I'm going to have to go back and see if we ever see Mordred blink). It did give Merlin a chance to talk to the glowey creature, though and find out about Arthur's Bane. Hope we see the glowey creature again.

Really sad about Athusa. My guess is with those that think she and Morgana were captured together and bonded in the darkness. And in that darkness, Athusa wasn't able to develop properly in her formative years. Did we see Athusa fly? She may not be able to do that either.

Just guessing here, but Merlin as the old man and Morgana may form a relationship over concern for Athusa later in the series. Hence why she asked for his help in her vision.

I don't have a problem with Arthur Knighting Mordred. He's Knighted Gwain and Elian for similar reasons - being good fighters and showing their loyalty to Arthur.

PenguinSuzie

[26]Oct 14, 2012
    • level: 10
    I was thinking that we could always look at the Euchdag (who really does look very sci-fi) and think of her as something very old and mythic that theoretically would have inspired the view of aliens that people have today. I hope that makes sense .

Scop

[27]Oct 14, 2012

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    I was thinking that we could always look at the Euchdag (who really does look very sci-fi) and think of her as something very old and mythic that theoretically would have inspired the view of aliens that people have today. I hope that makes sense .

Yeah, you can probably replace most of the ancient alien stuff with and older culture of Euchdag's. Maybe they evolved from Dolphins? (haha)

I hope we see more of it.

I'm wondering what Merlin's going to do when he finds out the truth of what happened to Athusa, if he'd be mad enough to go to war over it.

boom-moo

[28]Oct 14, 2012
    Yeah, it was really sweet that Merlin's first concern was knowing what had happened to Aithusa instead of asking any other number of things involving Morgana.

I also love it that Mordred smiles when Arthur tells Morgana that he has gone to Ismere in search of his men. Mordred seems to really admire his courage and noble traits.

Around the 06:50 mark Arthur can be seen closing his eyes despite he is supposed to be asleep (this is when Mordred brings Merlin food and they talk about magic). I guess it's a goof and not a hint at Arthur hearing about those two having magic...

Edited on 10/14/2012 4:34pm

illegalferret

[29]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 25

I agree, it's not quite as good as part 1 but it still contains some very interesting things, most notably Mordred stabbing Morgana! Didn't see that coming!! It's nice to have such an ambiguous character, even if may stab Arthur in the future, it will be interesting to watch him develop over the course of the series I think Merlin's desire for Arthur to kill Mordred is a hang over from what he saw in the prophecy the Merlin/Mordred relationship will also be interesting to see.

I like that Guinevere didn't really want to kill Seffa, her cunning plan seemed to be a very Guinevere type plan. Arthur knighting Mordred is also a very Arthur thing to love! I like how Arthur is his own bane, it's like his beliefs and humanity will be his downfall Merlin and Arthur's relationship is still going strong which makes me very happy as does the abundance of topless knights (because yes i'm shallow )

boom-moo

[30]Oct 15, 2012
    The knights were witting a bit oddly in this episode though. Elyan and Leon never came back to look for Arthur and Merlin? Then Gwaine and Percival didn't ask where Merlin was when they helped Arthur out of the mines? I don't know, a bit off to me.

Episode 5x02 magic and spells:
    -The Euchdag covers Gwaine in darkness so the Saxons don’t find him.
    -Merlin dismounts one of Ragnor’s men using a spell.
    -Merlin makes the edge of the ice ledge fall using a spell.
    -Ruadan opens Sefa’s cell using a spell.
    -Ruadan unlocks a door using a spell.
    -Ruadan conjures fire using a spell.
    -Ruadan turns water into ink using magic.
    -Ruadan summons a raven using a spell.
    -Merlin stops Aithusa’s fire using magic and speaks to her in Dragonlord language twice.
    -Morgana throws a flying dagger at Arthur using a spell and hurts him several times with it using magic.
    -Morgana throws Merlin up in the air and knocks him out against a wall using magic.
    -The Euchdag heals Merlin.

BrightlyLit

[31]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 5

boom-moo wrote:
    The knights were witting a bit oddly in this episode though. Elyan and Leon never came back to look for Arthur and Merlin? Then Gwaine and Percival didn't ask where Merlin was when they helped Arthur out of the mines? I don't know, a bit off to me.

These are the kinds of things that do bother me a bit with the writing. These are little details that could make this show so much better, but most of us tend to just dismiss them and continue to love it anyway.

I liked the episode but not as much as the first one. I felt a tad let down here and there, esp. with various aspects of the way most things were resolved. Of course, the scene with Mordred stabbing Arthur was the highlight for me. What an utterly fantastic character Mordred is proving to be, and I'm thinking we're going to see powerful dynamics between him and Merlin. These two outstanding young actors, Colin and Alex, are going to give us a truly meaningful experience in Season 5, I'm sure of it. Merlin's intense looks after the knighting is just a taste. I cannot wait to see how this plays out. Also, how is Morgana going to react to this turn of events? Good performance by Katie in this one. What a sad and tragic figure she is and I'm feeling for her I must say and especially for Aithusa. Poor creature. And I too loved the scene with Merlin and his sympathy for her. Looking forward to how this plays out as well.

I'm glad too that Gwen didn't intend to execute Sefa, but of course, Sefa doesn't know this so the writers will waste a great opportunity for drama if they drop this character. Surely she would gravitate to Morgana, but she is a such a sweet young girl and it's hard to picture her on the witch's side of things. But what happened to her father, resulting from her death sentence is enough to send anyone over the edge.

I've been a bit disappointed in Arthur. So I guess his being so trusting of others is going to be his bane? It makes sense, but somehow I wish he were not characterized by such cluelessness in so many things. To me, he should just be a tad bit smarter. I doubt if the great king of legend was like that. The banter with his servant is cute and loved by fans, but I sort of wish we could move on with this relationship into a more realistic one. It's been four seasons of Merlin doing magic tricks in his presence and he still has no clue? How much richer the whole thing would be if they would let us see them deal with the magic and then go from there being a truly dynamite team together. For me, neither of them is living up to his potential for greatness. I know this show does not follow the path of the legends but merely "borrows" from them, which is fine with me, but I'm not feeling something and what I think it is is that it's time for a change. Hopefully I'll feel better after the next episode.

Edited on 10/15/2012 12:39pm

fernajen

[32]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 3

boom-moo wrote:
    I like that the fact that Merlin still can control Aithusa (at least in a fashion) through his Dragonlord powers, it's a good balance to the dragon's willfull alliance with Morgana. Also the fact that Mordred left Merlin behind is very telling, he didn't seem to have any intention to go back for him or alert the others. Merlin is right in being more than weary. It looks like it's gonna be a nice tension, both being so close to Arthur and both having his trust.

I think that Mordred is a little afraid of Merlin. When Merlin offered to help Mordred looked a little unnerved. Who can really blame him? First Merlin came really close to letting him die over a prophecy. Then Merlin tripped Mordred. Add that to the fact that Merlin clearly doesn't trust Mordred and thinks that he'll kill Arthur.I think that would be easy for Mordred to justify leaving Merlin behind, especially when he knows that Merlin can take care of himself. That's my take on Mordred's behavior anyways.

Edited on 10/15/2012 1:58pm

Scop

[33]Oct 15, 2012

Mordred knows just how powerful Merlin is - which may be why he stabbed Morgana (not fatally, notably) so as not for her to get into a magic fight with Merlin and really die. According to the original legend, the only way Arthur can be killed is if Merlin's not around or can't help him over a distance.

I'm wondering if Mordred is going to introduce Merlin to other's in the Magical community or would rather keep Merlin isolated from that. It would be interesting if he and Mordred became good friends as Merlin finally has someone else to discuss magic with - and from a viewpoint other than Gaiuses, but still from a point of secrecy.

boom-moo

[34]Oct 16, 2012
    I think it's a good premise having both wary of each other's power and intentions. They need to keep each other at arm's length but not far enough so they can't keep a close eye on each other's movements at the same time. They are both really close to Arthur now which helps things in a way but becomes a hindrance too. Very interesting.

Arthur is knocked unconscious or prevented from knowing about Merlin's magic:
    -Arthur is sleeping when Mordred and Merlin talk about magic.
    -Arthur is distracted fighting when Merlin dismounts one of the Saxons using magic.
    -Merlin blocks Arthur’s view as he breaks the edge of ice ledge using magic.

Scop

[35]Oct 17, 2012

Did anyone else think the ruins Sefa and Ruadan escaped to were the same ruins Morgause lead Arthur to when she showed him the vision of her mother? The basin Sefa got the glass of water from looked a lot like the one Morgause was using to scry through.

boom-moo

[36]Oct 17, 2012
    I don't think it isi the same place. The one in 2x08 was the Council room redressed for the occasion whereas the one in 5x01 seems to be the Cistercian abbey ruins at Margam Country Park. You can check it here.. Part of it might have been filmed at a studio set though.

As for the basin, wasn't Morgause scrying through the Crystals of Neahtid?

Merlin and Great Dragon meetings:
    -None.

Great Dragon's riddles:
    -None.

Aithusa meetings:
    -Morgana (2 so far) after her nightmare she keeps Aithusa close and reassures her that everything is going to be alright.
    -Arthur, Merlin and Gwaine (1 so far) are attacked by Aithusa.
    -Merlin (2 so far) where he stops Aithusa’s attack, commands her in Dragonlord, cares about her state and tells her to hide from Arthur.
    -Morgana (3 so far) when they leave Ismere together.

Wonder_

[37]Oct 21, 2012

Liar, Liar:

- Gwen lies to Sefa about her being executed

- Gaius lies to Gwen about not being an expert in the Druidic ruins (not sure if this counts since he tells her the truth straight afterwards??)

boom-moo

[38]Oct 21, 2012
    Yes, I'd say it does. Thank you, Wonder_

Ashleighnikiann

[39]Oct 21, 2012
    • level: 1

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    It was nice to see Gwen taking a sympathetic view towards magic users and what they've been through.

Wasn't Gwen's father executed for allegedly using magic in an earlier season? It's been awhile since I watched the old seasons, though, so I might be wrong. Did she ever find out he was set up? Maybe she thinks her father might have used magic.

Also, I found it interesting reading everyone's post about this episode because I watched ep. 1 and ep. 2 at once -- I was out of the country on vacation for the first episode. There were a lot of comments about Part 2 not being as good as Part 1, but as one episode, it was great!

boom-moo

[40]Oct 21, 2012
    Ashleighnikiann wrote:

Wasn't Gwen's father executed for allegedly using magic in an earlier season? It's been awhile since I watched the old seasons, though, so I might be wrong. Did she ever find out he was set up? Maybe she thinks her father might have used magic.

Yes, she found out that he was set up, her father told her himself. She knew she died innocent (innocent of using magic, that is).