Merlin Forums

BBC (ended 2012)

Episode 5x08 'The Hollow Queen' discussion thread

ACDiNosey

[21]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 28
    I haven't really got time to go into a detailed review, so I'll keep this short: I'm bored by the Gwengana storyline altogether, so won't dwell on that. I liked the druid guy. Didn't he say at the end that he was really a druid, though? So Merlin was right not to assume he was lying when he said he didn't hear his mind calls...
    Colin's acting was great when he was poorly. Morgana should kill people while she can and, honestly, if mixing a couple of herbs together is enough to make you better, the poison can't be that potent (although I wondered whether, with Merlin being Emrys (immortal), he had died and then simply "come back to life)

But most importantly, I was crestfallen to hear Merlin say that he thought Arthur would probably hang him if he told him the truth about his magic.. It seems very sad that he can't see enough progression in Arthur after all these years to feel confident about his acceptance of magic. I found that incrediby sad.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[22]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 75
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    I liked the druid guy. Didn't he say at the end that he was really a druid, though? So Merlin was right not to assume he was lying when he said he didn't hear his mind calls...
    He said that he had the gift and that he inherited it from his mother, who had magic (and Uther killed her because of that). But I don't think he was a Druid.

P.S. Just checked and Daegal says that he is not a Druid.

Merlin: The gift.
    Daegal: Must be from my mother.
    Merlin: So that bit was true?
    Daegal: It was all true, except about my sister.
    Merlin: She isn't sick?
    Daegal: I don't have a sister.
    Merlin: And you're mother... she wasn't a Druid?
    Daegal: No, but she was like you. She had magic... and Uther killed her for it.
    Edited on 11/25/2012 7:33am

ACDiNosey

[23]Nov 25, 2012
    So all druid can mind talk, now? I don't think it had ever been made clear in so many words!

allenleonardo

[24]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 2

XyFan wrote:

Also that boy didnt do anything. He just got Merlin into trouble, picked some herbs, lied and whined about his sad life, didn't even kill the bad guy (it was merlin who used magic to kill that man anyway). That character was badly introduced. In my opinion that is.

Oh, also, why didnt merlin use magic skill to heal his leg after revealing it to that boy? He can bring half-dead people back to life but can't heal his leg? or the makers did it so it would be more dramatic?

Maybe im just in a bad mood, i dont know...What i did like though was the scene with Arhurt being helpless with clothing himself. I literally burst out laughing.

I agree with you. The druid boy was kind of useless. Still seeing him killed of in the end was so sad. They could have used him so much better. Maybe telling Arthur that he defeated the killer and showing him that druids are good people (its not like he have to tell him that he isnt really one of them xD) And than he could have walked aways to be used later in the show or not (Merlin and he could have been allies in the fight against Morgana)

If the writers wanted Merlin out of the castle than they could have used other people too. Maybe he got words from his mother and went to help her and it ends in a trap. With that we at least know that he still cares for other people beside Arthur or Gaius. And it would have provided a real reason to leave Arthur behind. The only good thing was, that Gaius found another excuse why Merlin is not here. I feared that he will use the tavern one again.

I dont know why he couldnt heal is own leg..it seems that he isnt allowed to use that much great magic. But its the same with Morgana. She loves to throw people around XD.

Arthur not being able to dress himself was funny xD I loved Gaius shocked expression. I hope that Gaius finally understands what Merlin has to do everyday .

Where were our favourites knights? I did not see them at the beginning when Arthur welcomed the other "king" (dont know his name x_X) Mordred was the only knight I recognized. And they were not that much in other scenes (or there at all?)

Poor Merlin fighting against poision, saving Arthur life again even with a hurt leg, losing another person and still get no respect. I was surprised that Arthur even noticed that he was hurt..

I cant believe that Morgana of all the people would risk her life to save a dragon. Or that she would stay in that place just to not hurt Aithusa..really one of the most powerful witch alive cant bomb her way out of that place, without hurting another? I could have understand it, if the man found something that surpresses her magic but it did not seems that way. At least Arthur looked not happy about that. Poor Aithusa I wish Merlin would have been there to hear that. His reaction would have been quite interesting.

I am not much of an Arwen fan so those scenes with the flowers and the bed were not that great for me. (Please before some say I hate them. I dont. I am just not a fan of any type of romantic scenes. So even if it would be my favourite pairing I would feel a little of )

Like other already said, the reuse of plot from other season is a little annoying. I hope we will someday see a real big magic battle between Merlin and Morgana, without just throwing each other around or creating snakes.

But the whole episode was still quite nice. Colin really did act excellent.

Edited on 11/25/2012 7:39am
    Edited 3 total times.

boom-moo

[25]Nov 25, 2012
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    So all druid can mind talk, now? I don't think it had ever been made clear in so many words!
    He isn't a Druid hun, he says so himself But I don't think that it's ever been stated taht all can mind talk.

allenleonardo wrote:
    I dont know why he couldnt heal is own leg..it seems that he isnt allowed to use that much great magic.
    I think that he was more interested about getting to Camelot as soon as possible than about healing his leg. It could also be that Morgana's poison was still affecting his use of magic (and he might very well need as much of it as available once in Camelot) so when Daegal insisted to heal him he just let him try.
    allenleonardo wrote:
    Where were our favourites knights? I did not see them at the beginning when Arthur welcomed the other "king" (dont know his name x_X) Mordred was the only knight I recognized. And they were not that much in other scenes (or there at all?)
    Sir Leon was also around (and got two lines unlike Mordred). Sir Gwaine and Sir Percival were nowhere to be seen.

allenleonardo wrote:
    I cant believe that Morgana of all the people would risk her life to save a dragon
    Well, she owes Aithusa her life. Guess she felt like repaying the debt.
    Edited on 11/25/2012 7:48am
    Edited 2 total times.

ACDiNosey

[26]Nov 25, 2012
    I understand he's not a druid, but then, it seemed that the general opinion is that Merlin should have noticed he was lying about being one because he should have been able to hear the mind-talk otherwise. So my conclusion was therefore that druids should be able to mind talk...
    Sorry if I'm being cryptic, it's just TPTB being all weird about their terminology (btw, did you notice that Daegal called Merlin a warlock? How would he know he's not just a sorcerer?)

boom-moo

[27]Nov 25, 2012
    ACDiNosey wrote:
    I understand he's not a druid, but then, it seemed that the general opinion is that Merlin should have noticed he was lying about being one because he should have been able to hear the mind-talk otherwise. So my conclusion was therefore that druids should be able to mind talk...
    Sorry if I'm being cryptic, it's just TPTB being all weird about their terminology (btw, did you notice that Daegal called Merlin a warlock? How would he know he's not just a sorcerer?)
    TPTB's forte is not consistency or accuracy, that's for sure. And I don't think that all Druids have telepathy but I guess it was used as a hint for Merlin to realize that Daegal is not one...

PenguinSuzie

[28]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 10
    boom-moo wrote:
    He said that he had the gift and that he inherited it from his mother, who had magic (and Uther killed her because of that). But I don't think he was a Druid.
    He said that his mother had magic like Merlin, but I never got the impression that he himself did.

boom-moo

[29]Nov 25, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    He said that his mother had magic like Merlin, but I never got the impression that he himself did.
    He uses his gift to heal Merlin:

boom-moo wrote:

Merlin: The gift.
    Daegal: Must be from my mother.
    Merlin: So that bit was true?
    Daegal: It was all true, except about my sister.
    Merlin: She isn't sick?
    Daegal: I don't have a sister.
    Merlin: And you're mother... she wasn't a Druid?
    Daegal: No, but she was like you. She had magic... and Uther killed her for it.

Did some research and this (from 2x03) is the best I could find on Druids and telepathy:

Mordred: (Telepathically) Hello, Morgana.
    Morgana: (To Aglain) Did you hear that? (To Mordred) How did you do that?
    Aglain: We don't always need words to speak to one another.
    Mordred: Now I can take care of you. Like you did to me.

It is not clear at all if all Druids have telepathy.
    Edited on 11/25/2012 8:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

PenguinSuzie

[30]Nov 25, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    He uses his gift to heal Merlin
    Oh I totally missed that. I thought he just used medicine and bandages rather than magic. I just thought his gift at healing him was just a medical thing.

Edited on 11/25/2012 8:59am

boom-moo

[31]Nov 25, 2012
    Yeah, it's confusing because it can't be seen, I only noticed when Merlin mentioned it.

Episode 5x08 RIP list:
    -The Sarrum killed by Albin.
    -Albin killed? by Merlin.
    -Daegal killed by Albin.

Episode 5x08 Lives Saved list:
    -Daegal saves Merlin’s life.
    -Merlin saves Arthur’s life.

PenguinSuzie

[32]Nov 25, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    It is not clear at all if all Druids have telepathy.
    I suppose it's something that many of them are taught.

I would have posted this in my other comment but I was having some problems editing it. Another insistent 'Tag span may not have attribute class'.

Edited on 11/25/2012 9:05am

boom-moo

[33]Nov 25, 2012
    Could be indeed. It has been said that people with the gift can be trained in magic so I guess that what's necessary is being born with the gift and once that recquirement is met, then some kinds of magic can be taught.

The Great Dragon, Morgana, Morgause, Merlin... several non Druids have shown to have telepathic skills.

PenguinSuzie

[34]Nov 25, 2012
    I don't remember Morgana doing it. Was that with Aithusa because I would have thought it would be that dragons could have internal conversations and hear the thoughts of even non magicals, would maybe hear them calling for them if they knew the dragons name etc.

boom-moo

[35]Nov 25, 2012
    Morgana could hear Mordred in 2x03 and 2x11 and also Morgana could hear Morgause (can't recall the episode) in this one where Morgause gets inside the castle and leads Morgana to where she is hiding. Just checked it, the Morgana/Morgause one is 3x10.
    Edited on 11/25/2012 10:03am

PenguinSuzie

[36]Nov 25, 2012

We've never seen her initiate it though. I wonder if she's knows how to do it now since she's developed so much in power. They both directed it at her as opposed to her overhearing it. Since the boy didn't hear Merlin it does imply that only people with a certain thing can hear it. I'm curious why you have to have some sort of gift or power even to be able to hear telepathy directed right at you. I wonder if it's something any of the characters can learn over time or not, sounds unlikely. I suppose they just can't connect to someone without it. That's unfortunate, it would have come in handy for Merlin and Arthur if it ever got to the point where he knew.

Edited on 11/25/2012 10:12am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[37]Nov 25, 2012
    Maybe it's what we were talking about, they need to have the gift to hear it but then that's not the only recquirement. We know that Morgana's strength is being a seer and Daegal's strength seems to be being a healer so probably some other magical abilities need to be practised/worked on.

And I don't think it has to do with the telepathy being directed to her because Merlin could also hear it in 2x11.

What Arthur calls Merlin:
    -Idle-brained servant.

What Merlin calls Arthur:
    -Nothing.
    (Gwen) Hopeless.
    Edited on 11/25/2012 10:17am
    Edited 5 total times.

PenguinSuzie

[38]Nov 25, 2012

Good point. I wonder if we'll see any more of her dreams, though she has the bracelet it doesn't always stop them. I don't think we've seen one since S4. I wonder how she managed to learn some of the things as Morgause wasn't exactly in a fit state to teach her much when she was ill, and a single year with patches of teachings by a really weakened and ill Morgause doesn't explain half the things she can do. Maybe she's had a lot of access to books. While she's improved in her magic she depends to much on schemes. Her plans are always far to complicated (good for us though since things would have escalated quicker). I wonder where she got the poison, was that the same one that they poisoned Arthur with? I never even noticed that if it was, it didn't even occur to me.

boom-moo wrote:
    And I don't think it has to do with the telepathy being directed to her because Merlin could also hear it in 2x11.
    LOL Merlin hears everything. Yeah she talked telepathically to Mordred and the other man didn't she?

Edited on 11/25/2012 10:21am

boom-moo

[39]Nov 25, 2012
    She could have learnt in many random ways. There are a lot of magical people out there who could have taught her (although I think she was portrayed as way too powerful pretty out of the blue). Getting poison seems an easy task going by last week's episode. I guess there are many others selling the same stuff.

There are a lot of questions regarding Morgana that have never been answered. Where does she live? Where does she get the money to live on? How does she travel long distances in a blink? Etc...

PenguinSuzie wrote:

boom-moo wrote:
    LOL Merlin hears everything. Yeah she talked telepathically to Mordred and the other man didn't she?

I don't think she did but I'd have to check that.

Merlin and Morgana could both hear Mordred's telepathy in 2x11 but in 1x01 (apparently) only Merlin heard the Great Dragon's call.
    Edited on 11/25/2012 10:27am
    Edited 2 total times.

PenguinSuzie

[40]Nov 25, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    How does she travel long distances in a blink?
    Knowing Morgana she probably nicked Santa's sleigh. I wouldn't put it past her.

Edited on 11/25/2012 10:42am